What are your thoughts on end times fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the Left Behind series when I was a brand new Christian in '05 and found the books to be at least a fun read. I learned later after the fact that there was a fair amount of criticism concerning the theology of that series. I recently re-read the series last year, and started a series called Chaos In The Blink of an Eye by Patrick Higgins, which so far, is a lot shorter and to the point than the Left Behind books. There are currently 5 books in that series, and the 6th book get released on June 14th.

I was just curious about what you guys thought about these series, or any other end times related fiction.

Bleck....

Reactions: Nancy
B

Butterfly

yes butterfly, it's been some years back and I'm pressed to recall titles....Left behind stuff I think.
Maybe some of the more modern books may have a better approach - I guess I have never really thought about the rapture- I mean if it happens, it happens, and I was quite happy to just leave it all with God. I am not sure that any of us can truly grasp the actual final stages of the end times. I tend to read Christian fiction because I like the fiction genre, but it's never my final authority.
Rita

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Maybe some of the more modern books may have a better approach - I guess I have never really thought about the rapture- I mean if it happens, it happens, and I was quite happy to just leave it all with God. I am not sure that any of us can truly grasp the actual final stages of the end times. I tend to read Christian fiction because I like the fiction genre, but it's never my final authority.
Rita
The scripture leaves no room for guess work when it comes to the return of Jesus. It is plain and clear and we are warned to keep watch. The signs of the times give us ample indication that his return is not far hence.
The warning from Jesus to keep watch is because of the volume of misinformation peddled at the time close to his return intended to deceive. One of those deceptions is fiction.
The term 'Christian fiction' is an oxymoron. If it is truth it is not fiction and if its not true then it is a lie and why would one want to expose oneself to lies if truth is available?

Reactions: marks and brakelite
B

brakelite

End times fiction is like end times metal music.....the imagination runs wild, is disordered, confused, without harmony and devoid of the Spirit of God.
I have the skills to build a dog box, but put me in charge of an apartment building, and the result would be catastrophic. Why? The same reason I wouldn't be able to write a musical composition, or build an airplane. I have no sound knowledge or understanding of the laws that govern those disciplines. My music would sound punk, my building would fall over, and not even my paper darts get very far. I think it the same for heavy metal. Christian music and heavy metal are oxymorons. Heavy metal IMO can only be produced or entertained when one tosses aside those laws that govern the kingdom of God.

B

Butterfly

The scripture leaves no room for guess work when it comes to the return of Jesus. It is plain and clear and we are warned to keep watch. The signs of the times give us ample indication that his return is not far hence.
The warning from Jesus to keep watch is because of the volume of misinformation peddled at the time close to his return intended to deceive. One of those deceptions is fiction.
The term 'Christian fiction' is an oxymoron. If it is truth it is not fiction and if its not true then it is a lie and why would one want to expose oneself to lies if truth is available?
I read as a hobby- so you would never read any of .CS Lewis - ?
I never said I did not believe that Jesus would return, and leaving the details to God is an act of faith - it also does not mean I am not watching, praying ect
You were reading way to much into my post
Xx

Reactions: aspen

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I read as a hobby- so you would never read any of .CS Lewis - ?
I never said I did not believe that Jesus would return, and leaving the details to God is an act of faith - it also does not mean I am not watching, praying ect
You were reading way to much into my post
Xx
yes I have read CS Lewis Butterfly, but it is not my guide or the foundation I base my understanding on, neither is it my daily sustenance.

Last edited:
B

Butterfly

Lol - presuming ' ditto ' is universally used , and not just an English expression !

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I'm familiar with all the subgenres of metal music, but not the end times subgenre :)
ohhh dear, it's getting complicated now :) Any 'music' that is confused and without harmony has the imprint of the evil one.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the Left Behind series when I was a brand new Christian in '05 and found the books to be at least a fun read. I learned later after the fact that there was a fair amount of criticism concerning the theology of that series. I recently re-read the series last year, and started a series called Chaos In The Blink of an Eye by Patrick Higgins, which so far, is a lot shorter and to the point than the Left Behind books. There are currently 5 books in that series, and the 6th book get released on June 14th.

I was just curious about what you guys thought about these series, or any other end times related fiction.
God has as much as engineered many steppingstones even through untruth (let alone fiction) leading to the actual truth. Also, what is a parable if not fiction, and yet is God's chosen form of communicating His truth by word?

Indeed, the rabbit holes and tangents off the beaten path can lead one who seeks the truth away for a time, but not for ever. As promised, that one will find the truth. And yet, while that one who does or does not intend to veer off the path, does, it is only the one who does not seek the truth who never returns.

God is good. Fiction is cool.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has as much as engineered many steppingstones even through untruth (let alone fiction) leading to the actual truth. Also, what is a parable if not fiction, and yet is God's chosen form of communicating His truth by word?

Indeed, the rabbit holes and tangents off the beaten path can lead one who seeks the truth away for a time, but not for ever. As promised, that one will find the truth. And yet, while that one who does or does not intend to veer off the path, does, it is only the one who does not seek the truth who never returns.

God is good. Fiction is cool.

The biggest disclaimer that can be made when reading end-times fiction is to NOT substitute them for bible study. They can be thought-provoking and make for good fruitful discussions, especially with numerous different beliefs about end-times (preterism, etc.). But end-times fiction should never be taken as gospel. It's a story, and take it for what it is.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
She is our resident Conspiracy Theory fanatic. She makes Chicken Little look sane.
Willie, Lucifer was created as a musical master. I have no doubt he would use his talents in that field to destroy and confuse.

Reactions: tzcho2