What are your thoughts on end times fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bleck....
"Blech" Lol...I'm with you there Ron. Anything Hollywood I'm skeptical of. LaHaye, Jenkins and Hal Lindsay revived this pre-trib rapture idea that was started in like, 1909.
"God placed us upon this troubled planet to be its caretakers, not a frightened people who rush for the exit doors at the first sign of trouble."
The Left Behind Series: Bad Fiction, Bad Faith

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started to read the Left Behind books, but only got through one book, that was years ago.
Not heard of the one your reading now, might check it out. I have only just really started looking at revelations in detail ( it's one of those things I get a bit bogged down with, or have done in the past- but this time round I am finding it easier to get my head around)
I do like Christian fiction - so I might check it out, if I do I will let you know what I think.
I have no idea if these book are Christian or not, but I loved The Mistborn trilogy - and do like Brandon Sanderson as a writer. I am reading ' Way of the Kings ' trilogy at the moment - I always ' see ' spiritual overtones within his books.
Rita
Have you ever read Frank Peretti? He has some good Christian fiction...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jerry Jenkins. Jenkins did not do a very good job on the series--sometimes it seemed almost like a joke to him. His depiction of the Antichrist was whiny and not scary at all (except maybe in the first book). I found the characterization laughable on many points.

Jenkins and LaHaye were also proponents of the Y2K disaster...which never happened..

Reactions: MetalMike and aspen
B

Butterfly

Have you ever read Frank Peretti? He has some good Christian fiction...
Yes, I read his books some years ago, and read them again when I got my ereader. Piercing the darkness was my favourite
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie, Lucifer was created as a musical master. I have no doubt he would use his talents in that field to destroy and confuse.
Yes that is a good point many forget or don't understand. Musical instruments built in. I think Satan's influence can be seen in the music industry, some Christians unaware might scoff. As God's presence can influence the creation of music, so does the adversary use it for his evil ends.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I read his books some years ago, and read them again when I got my ereader. Piercing the darkness was my favourite
Rita

Yes, Piercing the darkness was good. I really liked "This Present Darkness". I love how he portrays how Satan works in our lives and also puts a lot of emphasis on prayer! Good stuff...I might just have to read them again ♥

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Blech" Lol...I'm with you there Ron. Anything Hollywood I'm skeptical of. LaHaye, Jenkins and Hal Lindsay revived this pre-trib rapture idea that was started in like, 1909.
"God placed us upon this troubled planet to be its caretakers, not a frightened people who rush for the exit doors at the first sign of trouble."
The Left Behind Series: Bad Fiction, Bad Faith
Nancy that is a mischaracterization and misframing of pre-trib believers , they are not" frightened nor rushing for an exit."
It is not wishful thinking , it is literal , imo, the Pre-trib is the only literal biblical interpretation of those scriptures. The rest is Christians not looking up as we are instructed and not forward & await the "blessed hope".
Titus 2: 12 12 It instructs us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live sensible upright and godly lives in the present age. 13 as we await the blessed hope and glorious appearance of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.…

Reactions: marks

Jon Mathews

May 7, 2019
indianapolis, in
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the Left Behind series when I was a brand new Christian in '05 and found the books to be at least a fun read. I learned later after the fact that there was a fair amount of criticism concerning the theology of that series. I recently re-read the series last year, and started a series called Chaos In The Blink of an Eye by Patrick Higgins, which so far, is a lot shorter and to the point than the Left Behind books. There are currently 5 books in that series, and the 6th book get released on June 14th.

I was just curious about what you guys thought about these series, or any other end times related fiction.

I've never read either series, but if you like Christian fiction, especially Christian fantasy, you should check out The Circle by Ted Dekker. It's a series of 4 books (Black, Red, White, Green) that can be purchased in a single volume (https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Ted-Dekker/dp/1595547924)
It's a great visceral image of the Spiritual Kingdoms and the end of the world, and the Victory of Christ.

Reactions: Nancy and Butterfly

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because you or I can't understand or appreciate a specific genre of music does not make it "destructive" or "confusing."
Thats a slippery track Willie. Lets say we take sexual preference/orientation and apply the same conclusion. Would it hold up?

B

Butterfly

Thats a slippery track Willie. Lets say we take sexual preference/orientation and apply the same conclusion. Would it hold up?
I see the point you are raising, but surely that can apply to anything - look at how the Internet has been used by Satan, yet here we are all using it. It can be addictive, it can draw us away from spending time with the Lord - and yet, it can also add to reflection enable you to hear truth through others.
Rita

Reactions: Acolyte

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I see the point you are raising, but surely that can apply to anything - look at how the Internet has been used by Satan, yet here we are all using it. It can be addictive, it can draw us away from spending time with the Lord - and yet, it can also add to reflection enable you to hear truth through others.
Rita
We have been given keys to the path of life. We are to use them wisely particularly being mindful of what we expose ourselves to and allow ourselves to steep in.
The scripture says that God's people are peculiar people..... peculiar I would say because they do not indulge in what the world considers normal.....and we have a message that is a two edged sword, one which the world resists because it doesn't sanction their mindset, apart from those who surrender to its drawing.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie, Lucifer was created as a musical master. I have no doubt he would use his talents in that field to destroy and confuse.

Speaking for myself, I have never been spiritually confused because I listen to hard rock and metal. Yes, I was an atheist until 2005, but it wasn't the result of my choice of music. That was attributed to my upbringing and how I was raised.

If somebody claims they're a Satanist or an atheist because of music choice, they are full of it. It's all about personal choice and belief. I know a fair amount of metalheads who are Christians, and I know plenty who are atheists. There are atheist country music fans, atheist blues fans, atheist jazz fans, atheist classical musical fans, etc.

Reactions: Butterfly

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never read either series, but if you like Christian fiction, especially Christian fantasy, you should check out The Circle by Ted Dekker. It's a series of 4 books (Black, Red, White, Green) that can be purchased in a single volume (https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Ted-Dekker/dp/1595547924)
It's a great visceral image of the Spiritual Kingdoms and the end of the world, and the Victory of Christ.

Thanks for the recommendation, @Jon Mathews. I have heard of this series but I have not read it. My local library has it, so I'll definitely reserve this online. Thanks again!