What do you think about gender equality in Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Levind

Apr 14, 2021
Jakarta
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
When Jesus chose Mary of Magdalene as witness for His resurrection, it remains the same, in the past, present and future, it is what it is. When the anonymous writers of canonized gospel wrote the event of Jesus resurrection consistently, it remains the same, nothing to be added and revised, it is what it is.

The only thing that changed is human acceptance for Mary of Magdalene blessing role.

From Mary of Magdalene we can learn, gender equality is not related with theologian concept. Gender equality is not problem of God. Gender equality is purely problem of human.

Source: God and Woman on Mary of Magdalene

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus chose Mary of Magdalene as witness for His resurrection, it remains the same, in the past, present and future, it is what it is. When the anonymous writers of canonized gospel wrote the event of Jesus resurrection consistently, it remains the same, nothing to be added and revised, it is what it is.

The only thing that changed is human acceptance for Mary of Magdalene blessing role.

From Mary of Magdalene we can learn, gender equality is not related with theologian concept. Gender equality is not problem of God. Gender equality is purely problem of human.

Source: God and Woman on Mary of Magdalene

I don't think that the value of humans should be quantified.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When Jesus chose Mary of Magdalene as witness for His resurrection, it remains the same, in the past, present and future, it is what it is.
Gender equality and distinct gender roles are not in conflict. Within the Body of Christ there is neither male nor female. However, God has said that within the local church and the home, men and women have distinct roles which should not be violated.

As to your reference to Mary Magdalene, when you take all the resurrection accounts as a whole, and piece them together, you discover that:

1. Mary Magdalene (along with the women who went to the tomb to embalm the body of Christ) failed to believe the Lord in the first place. They should have remembered what He had already said many times: that He would rise again from the dead. Which meant that taking spices to the tomb was a display of unbelief.

2. Secondly two angels appeared to these women and told them in no uncertain terms that Jesus had risen from the dead and would meet His disciples in Galilee. The angels also invited the women to check out the empty tomb, and then go and report the resurrection to the other disciples. All the women left quickly and actually Jesus met them as they were going. However Mary Magdalene failed to obey the angels.

3. Mary hung around the tomb which meant that she failed to believe the angels. Then when Jesus spoke to her, she assumed that he was the gardener and asked Him where others had taken the body of Christ (even though the angels had just finished telling her that Christ was alive). This too was serious unbelief. It is only after Jesus called out her name that she finally accepted the fact of His resurrection.

So while Mary is praised by many, the truth is that she was a very unbelieving person. But then all the other disciples also would not believe that Christ had risen. So they were all in the same boat.

Levind

Apr 14, 2021
Jakarta
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Gender equality and distinct gender roles are not in conflict. Within the Body of Christ there is neither male nor female. However, God has said that within the local church and the home, men and women have distinct roles which should not be violated.

As to your reference to Mary Magdalene, when you take all the resurrection accounts as a whole, and piece them together, you discover that:

1. Mary Magdalene (along with the women who went to the tomb to embalm the body of Christ) failed to believe the Lord in the first place. They should have remembered what He had already said many times: that He would rise again from the dead. Which meant that taking spices to the tomb was a display of unbelief.

2. Secondly two angels appeared to these women and told them in no uncertain terms that Jesus had risen from the dead and would meet His disciples in Galilee. The angels also invited the women to check out the empty tomb, and then go and report the resurrection to the other disciples. All the women left quickly and actually Jesus met them as they were going. However Mary Magdalene failed to obey the angels.

3. Mary hung around the tomb which meant that she failed to believe the angels. Then when Jesus spoke to her, she assumed that he was the gardener and asked Him where others had taken the body of Christ (even though the angels had just finished telling her that Christ was alive). This too was serious unbelief. It is only after Jesus called out her name that she finally accepted the fact of His resurrection.

So while Mary is praised by many, the truth is that she was a very unbelieving person. But then all the other disciples also would not believe that Christ had risen. So they were all in the same boat.

These are quite controversial. I refer to Vatican, even they confessed that they might get wrong in the past.

I don't think she failed to believe Jesus at first place. Naturally, everyone who see dead man rise will get shock, so does Mary Magdalene. By the means, her first reaction in Jesus resurrection did not present her faith. Moreover, finally she was the person who widespread Jesus was risen.

Your thoughts quite controversial, but I consider it as breakthrough points and very intriguing.
If you also can share a link to support your thoughts, it will be great for our discussion.

Levind

Apr 14, 2021
Jakarta
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
I don't think that the value of humans should be quantified.

Yes I agree. However I think that statement for defensive purpose. A lot of attack saying the Christianity is not women-friendly then it's acceptable to show the attackers, it is not like they are thinking about. I quite sure it is not about quantification but merely clarification and that's very important.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Galatians 3:27-29
for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

As the scripture says we are all one in Christ Jesus, all equal heirs.

Mutual submission among believers, and between husbands and wives, is a concept that sits uneasily with some Christians. Yet it is a concept plainly stated in the New Testament and in a few other early Christian writings.

Most Christians are aware that in Ephesians 5:21 Paul says submitting to one another is an outworking of being filled by the Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:18ff) and is an expression of reverence for Jesus Christ:

“submitting to one another in the fear of Christ” (Eph. 5:21).

But Ephesians 5:21 isn’t the only New Testament verse that encourages mutual submission among Jesus’ followers. 1 Peter 5:5 is another.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I agree. However I think that statement for defensive purpose. A lot of attack saying the Christianity is not women-friendly then it's acceptable to show the attackers, it is not like they are thinking about. I quite sure it is not about quantification but merely clarification and that's very important.

Well, once you buy in to their mental constructs...they win.

I don't enter into their fences and debate...I ascend and demonstrate a birds eye view.

Math is for inanimate objects or abstract concepts to do with numbering people, not as a metric for Personhood.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are quite controversial. I refer to Vatican, even they confessed that they might get wrong in the past.

I don't think she failed to believe Jesus at first place. Naturally, everyone who see dead man rise will get shock, so does Mary Magdalene. By the means, her first reaction in Jesus resurrection did not present her faith. Moreover, finally she was the person who widespread Jesus was risen.

Your thoughts quite controversial, but I consider it as breakthrough points and very intriguing.
If you also can share a link to support your thoughts, it will be great for our discussion.
I agree .Mary Magdalene has been the target for a bad rap far to often.Like in 1591 when Pope Gregory labeled her an adultress. Which she never was.

Mary knew well the disdain the authorities in the temple held for her Lord. Even the Roman authorities could not be trusted. Which is why Pilate agreed to post guards at the tomb.

I see her concern for his whereabouts after finding the tomb empty and the ropes that secured the stone busted, as genuine and even valid concern members of the temple or Roman government had done something with him.

Reactions: Nancy and Levind

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will be happy to share the Scriptures which support my understanding of these issues. "Gender equality" as seen in Western societies comes from Satan.

THE DISTINCT ROLES OF MEN AND WOMEN
1. Within the Body of Christ (which is a spiritual entity), there are no distinctions, since all are children of God by faith in Christ: For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:26-28)

2. Within a marriage, the Christian man is the "head" or authority over the woman:
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God... For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head [THE HEAD COVERING AS A SYMBOL OF SUBMISSION TO THE MAN'S AUTHORITY] because of the angels. (1 Cor 11:3,8-10)

3. Christian wives must submit themselves to their own husbands as unto the Lord: Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

4. Christian women must maintain silence during Christian worship:
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. (1 Cor 14:34,35)

5. Christian women are forbidden to (1) preach, (2) teach, and (3) assume authority within the local church:
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer [ALLOW] not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved [SANCTIFIED] in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. (1 Tim 2:11-15)

As you can see, God has clearly stated the distinct roles of men and women, and Scripture is your final authority. As to Mary Magdalene, kindly examine ALL the resurrection accounts in all the Gospels, and then see where Mary stood.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Gender equality" as seen in Western societies comes from Satan.

“Equality” as seen in Western societies comes from Satan, is anti-Christian and anti-American.

The term comes from godless cultural Marxists who hope to confuse freedom loving Americans with the founding principle of equal rights and equal protection under the law.

The ultimate goal is to cause people to become intellectually disarmed, unable to discern differences, finally the difference between right and wrong.

Such a population will be easy pickings for Satan and his minions.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read... you're a man, right?
Yes, and I know the Bible was written by nearly all men. The NT was entirely written by men. Jesus's Apostles were all men. But I'm not sure what "gender equality" means to you.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I know the Bible was written by nearly all men. The NT was entirely written by men. Jesus's Apostles were all men. But I'm not sure what "gender equality" means to you.
It doesn't matter what I believe. You nor most "men" here want to know the truth. They're too busy trying to interpret the Word how they want it to be for their own prideful and selfish purposes. I am a woman... you don't want to hear anything from me. You would automatically discount it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and tsr