What do you think about gender equality in Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many pages of opinions, even scripture, to support opinions.

Maybe we should reflect on Jesus example to settle the matter?

Equality began in Genesis 1:27, as we know.
Sin entered the world through Adam, the barrier between humans and God was erected by the fall. However, God's creation facts remain in us.

The very first miracle Jesus performed was at the request of his mother. Turning water into wine. John 2.

The first person to whom he revealed himself as Messiah was a woman.John 4.

The most amazing miracle in scripture, raising his relative Lazarus from the dead, was by request of two women. John 11.

As already discussed, women were his disciples. Mark 15.
Also as already discussed, his first appearance after his resurrection was to a woman. John 20. In John 20 we also learn women were the first to be commissioned by Jesus to be evangelists. So too in Matthew 28.

Men and women received God's holy spirit at Pentecost. Acts 2.

The first church in Europe began in a woman's home. The leading to do that? Acts 16.

Romans 16, Phillipians 4. The first members of Paul's church staff were women.

The Old Testament assigned women to lesser status to men. Jesus in the New Testament clarified the value of women by his example to and with them.

resource and more reading. https://thegritandgraceproject.org/faith/this-is-what-jesus-says-about-equality-for-women

We are what Jesus showed us to be. He died to save the world from sin. That includes thinking women are subordinate due to their gender. He proved in his ministry, that is not so. Morning ministry not in life.
Are we to then act the opposite of Jesus?
Thinking it righteous?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. This is a granted. And where each of them fail they repent, and set themselves back to the task at hand. I have always thought the task might be harder on the husband since He was supposed to be a reflection of a perfect God. But then I came to realize this was a chauvinistic position because the wife is called to become spotless as well, just as the Bride of Christ is supposed to. The mystery is great, as Paul said, but it does not really allow for sin, any more than any other part of true Christianity does. It makes amends for it, but it does not allow for it. We are all called to a great calling in Him, and it is only as Christ fully abides within His church through the Spirit that she is cleansed of all sin and filled with righteousness, holiness, faith, joy, love, strength and every attribute found in Him, to glorify both Him and her.
Can the two of us, my wife and I, be even better than the being the first Adam was when Eve was still a part of him? God intended it as goal to be certain, one of those impossible goals for any carnal man, or man and woman, alone... Again what did Jesus say?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

And did not Paul write about the "then face to face"? [I Cor 13:12]

When we become like Him? When and what is that?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
WOW! I was going to say that we are all equal in God's eyes, but this is a pretty deep thread. A little over my head here.

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except it is totally untrue. Ahab and Jezebel. John The Baptist and King Herods wife and daughter are 2 powerful examples refuting what you claim.
Not at all.
Those men were abomination to the traditional Hebrew culture.

Ahab and Jezebel conspired to conquest and rule. And Ahab was Apostate when he instituted Baal worship in the land.

Herod Antipas was apostate. He ruled over the Jews, but was the servant of Rome. He had John the baptist beheaded, murdered, out of lust for the daughter of his pagan wife.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe we should reflect on Jesus example to settle the matter?

Equality began in Genesis 1:27, as we know.
Afternoon entered the world through Adam, the barrier between humans and God was erected by the fall. However, God's creation facts remain in us.

The very first miracle Jesus performed was at the request of his mother. Turning water into wine. John 2.

The first person to whom he revealed himself as Messiah was a woman.John 4.

The most amazing miracle in scripture, raising his relative Lazarus from the dead, was by request of two women. John 11.

As already discussed, women were his disciples. Mark 15.
Also as already discussed, his first appearance after his resurrection was to a woman. John 20. In John 20 we also learn women were the first to be commissioned by Jesus to be evangelists. So too in Matthew 28.

Men and women received God's holy spirit at Pentecost. Acts 2.

The first church in Europe began in a woman's home. The leading to do that? Acts 16.

Romans 16, Phillipians 4. The first members of Paul's church staff were women.

The Old Testament assigned women to lesser status to men. Jesus in the New Testament clarified the value of women by his example to and with them.

resource and more reading. https://thegritandgraceproject.org/faith/this-is-what-jesus-says-about-equality-for-women

None of this proves that He is no longer Lord over the church.

I could quote scriptures for you that He still is, but the minute I go to the effort you will simply dismiss them as fraudulent verses because they do not line up with your theology. So what's the point in arguing from scripture? The entire discussion isn't based on the word of God because what you determine to be the word of God hinges on whether it agrees with you or not.

It's a futile exercise because you are right and I am wrong. This is a given going in, and no amount of Scripture proving otherwise will ever change this foregone conclusion because it was never a discussion. It was one person telling another that their "opinion" is utterly invalid, no matter how much scripture they might come up with to support it.

Is this how you would have me feel about your thoughts? I don't. The God in me respects others more than simply to disqualify their view for no other reason than that it doesn't agree with mine.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s Galatians 3 supposed to prove?

That’s already been covered.

As pertains to salvation, there is no distinction between male or female, Jew nor Greek, slave or freeman.

That has nothing to do with the roles given men and women, or with gender equality.

You left a lot out of your post:

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Paul stated women are not to usurp authority over, or teach men, but to be in submission, because the man was created first, and because Adam wasn’t deceived by Satan, but Eve was.

Women can preach, evangelize, teach women and children, and do anything but be the head of any congregation that has men in it, meaning they can’t be head pastor over any church with men in it.

There’s a chain of command in scripture, like it or not, and it’s not PC but God isn’t interested in leftist ideology:

1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
Jesus led by example.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were created equals by God.

False. The idea of equality is mostly false. Created in God’s image does not mean we were equally created. In fact, we weren’t as the next chapters show.

Adam was created from dirt. Eve was not created from dirt. Not equal.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
5. My view for this point is the same like view in point no.4, it looks like Paul had been influenced by Adam-Eve traditional story.
You may be forgetting that Paul was writing by divine inspiration, and Peter confirmed that all of Paul's epistles were Scripture (2 Peter 3). So the connection with the Fall of Adam and Eve is from God.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 2:5-11
"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

I believe the above is clear that wherever one thinks themselves to be on the number line--we are to do as He did and slide down from there in service to others, that the Most High exalt us in due time.

In other words, it's not all about the numbers, because, once again, the goal is One.

So, if we really really need an equation...how's this:

1 = 1 = Shalom = The Whole