What do you think about gender equality in Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False. The idea of equality is mostly false. Created in God’s image does not mean we were equally created. In fact, we weren’t as the next chapters show.

Adam was created from dirt. Eve was not created from dirt. Not equal.
Genesis 1:27

Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 1 - New English Translation

Everything that exists is of and from God.

Colossians 1

Adam was made from the dirt. Eve was made from his rib.

The soil is of and from God. And so too was the rib bone in Adam.

Because Adam being God's first human creation from the dirt, or, dust, means Eve was equal to him in her being created from his rib that was formed from the dust.

As humans were equally created of and from God to life, so too are we, male and female, when we die as equals when we leave this life.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." King James Version (KJV)

Genesis 3:19

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 2:5-11
"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

I believe the above is clear that wherever one thinks themselves to be on the number line--we are to do as He did and slide down from there in service to others, that the Most High exalt us in due time.

In other words, it's not all about the numbers, because, once again, the goal is One.

So, if we really really need an equation...how's this:

1 = 1 = Shalom = The Whole

Mmmm.. a little too "New Agey" for me, Tone, if I can use that term. Indeed we are to seek to become one in Christ, but by that analogy he meant one body with many different parts, and some parts of the body actually are of greater importance than others.

For instance, one would be hampered should he lose a foot, or a hand, or a kidney. But he may be in serious trouble if he loses a heart, or a stomach, or a spinal chord (being a bit facetious). In the early church, God gave some apostles, some prophets, and teachers, evangelists and pastors, for the building up of the body. I personally take the apostles as being of greater authority in Christ than typical layman. Yes they were technically all "one" in Him, especially when functioning in the gifts together during services. But individually there were not only differences in calling and function but also in spiritual rank.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mutual submission among believers, and between husbands and wives, is a concept that sits uneasily with some Christians. Yet it is a concept plainly stated in the New Testament and in a few other early Christian writings.
Where does the Bible talk about God the Father submitting to the Son?
Where does the LORD submit to the Church?
Where are masters called to submit to their servants?

In every instance where submission is discussed, it is submission to one placed in authority over you and it is a one way submission. It is only among peers that we are called to “mutual submission”.

Please provide just one verse that calls for Husbands to submit to their Wives.
The issue is appointed roles rather than innate value.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a little too "New Agey" for me

Well to me, the new agey stuff is all this math people are obsessing about...

...or maybe it's Kabbalic...

Again, I believe folks are getting quality and quantity mixed up...

But, as with most other things people divide over, it's just wordplay.

I really don't have any big qualms about people buying into the whole equality thing.

My go to verse for this type of stuff is:

2 Timothy 2:14
Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mutual submission among believers, and between husbands and wives, is a concept that sits uneasily with some Christians.
Because the bolded part is unbiblical nonsense. It should be rejected out of hand.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explain what you mean by these terms. I saw you use them earlier, but wasn't quite sure what you meant.

I mean I don't buy in to whatever pop culture is pushing...like the many trigger words and phrases the talking heads spew out of their mouths all day, e.g., "X" equality this..."Y" equality that...etc...

If you follow my posts from the beginning you'll see that I don't subscribe to people being mathematized, but I know it will happen among this world system, with its lies, damn lies, and statistics. Like their science, it will be perpetual analysis (division).

Once again, quantity has to do with abstract concepts (numbers), which I am not.

I believe quality is a more apt word for comparing flesh and blood people.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, your theory is if there is 1 thing in common, the criteria for equality has been met?
How about this answer.

People were created as equals by God.
We are each, male and female, and may wish to see our lives from the Christian context as that which is able to be of service to one anothers lives. And to God's will for each of us.

Availing ourselves in the course of life and service of our individual God given abilities and gifts to do so.

I believe we are able to be in that service, being united together, all one, in Christ.

And without insisting that service does require one sex to be thought of as subordinant or inferior to the other.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are not made equal...they are quality made.

There are clear mathematical differences in people, however, if they serve their purpose, they are of utmost quality.

Again, it is possible for people to be basically saying the same thing, yet holding to different word connotations, which may lead them to think that they are opposed, hence denominationalism.

This is why the spirit (or intent) of a matter should never be set aside for one's own understanding.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean I don't buy in to whatever pop culture is pushing...like the many trigger words and phrases the talking heads spew out of their mouths all day, e.g., "X" equality this..."Y" equality that...etc...

If you follow my posts from the beginning you'll see that I don't subscribe to people being mathematized, but I know it will happen among this world system, with its lies, damn lies, and statistics. Like their science, it will be perpetual analysis (division).

Once again, quantity has to do with abstract concepts (numbers), which I am not.

I believe quality is a more apt word for comparing flesh and blood people.

Ok. Truth be known, this concept is a little out there for me, in terms of it's not something my head is wrapping around too easily; dog at a new pan sort of thing. But maybe I will catch on later.

Have a great evening. Off to see my wife. In there watching something, LoL.
Hidden

Reactions: Tone

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"
The trinity is not in the Bible.
Yes it is.
Gen 1:26 God said let US make man in OUR image according to OUR likeness.
Mk 16 baptizing them in the NAME (singular) of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The entire Bible is written by monotheist Jews who reject the trinity to this day.
The entire Bible? How would you know that? They all reject God? Only God would know that.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we are able to be in that service, being united together, all one, in Christ.

And without insisting that service does require one sex to be thought of as subordinant or inferior to the other.

Again

So, your theory is if there is 1 thing in common, the criteria for equality has been met?

‘Equality’ is a constraint not at all the noble principle America was founded on - equal rights and equal protection under the law.

‘Equality’ has no real life application but is but a market tested term found least offensive by an evil ideology. There is no equality between good and evil.

You cannot even admit men and women were not created equally. Men were created from dirt. Women were not.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Equal in what? Value? Points scored by end of life? MVP context? Quality? Effectiveness? Role playing? Strength? Attitude? Station? Class?
I suggest that men and women are equal in value to God.
They are not equal in value to one another. Their loss.
Station, class, societal grades are all counterfeit measures to act out personal ego and pride.
God has chosen Christ to be the head of the church. That role entails having the final authority in all things relating to Divine human relationships. He does not use that authority to coerce, force, stand over, threaten and muscle people into submission. And He allows us to make our own choices in all things, corrects us gently when our choices go awry, and allows us to use our own authority in matters that do not impinge upon the Kingdom... Such as choices regarding work, accommodation, furniture, and car. In those matters we may ask for wisdom which is freely given, but the choice remains our own.
God has set the husband as the head over the wife in the same matters as Christ is head over man. The man is the conduit through Whom Christ speaks. The husband is to be the leader, the example, and source if you will as the headwaters of a river, in spiritual matters for the family. The wife, and the husband, in consultation with one another, with humility and at times compromise, decide together in all other matters.
KJV Ephesians 5:21
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Equal in what? Value? Points scored by end of life? MVP context? Quality? Effectiveness? Role playing? Strength? Attitude? Station? Class?
I suggest that men and women are equal in value to God.
They are not equal in value to one another. Their loss.
Station, class, societal grades are all counterfeit measures to act out personal ego and pride.
God has chosen Christ to be the head of the church. That role entails having the final authority in all things relating to Divine human relationships. He does not use that authority to coerce, force, stand over, threaten and muscle people into submission. And He allows us to make our own choices in all things, corrects is gently when our choices go awry, and allows us to use our own authority in matters that do not impinge upon the Kingdom... Such as choices regarding work, accommodation, furniture and car. In those matters we may ask for wisdom which is freely given, but the choice remains of own.
God has set the husband as the head over the wife in the same matters as Christ is head over man. The man is the conduit through Whom Christ speaks. The husband is to be the leader, the example, and source of you will as the headwaters of a river, in spiritual matters for the family. The wife, and the husband, in consultation with one another, with humility and at times compromise, decide together in all other matters.
KJV Ephesians 5:21
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Finish the passage:

Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Wives and Husbands

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many men are abusive to their wives and many wives have turned to Feminism, a very bad combination. But abusive husbands and Feminists are a very unChristian combination.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Finish the passage:

Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Wives and Husbands

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
I deliberately only quoted that verse because it has been ignored in several quotes of the passage you cited. Someone even asked for a verse to prove that husbands should submit to their wives. Seemed everyone has forgotten this.