What is "OSAS"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right on schedule! Those who proclaim they don't sin are possibly the most judgmental I have witnessed!

Matthew 7:1-5 (NKJV)
1 "Judge not, that you be not judged.
2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?
5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

It is you who accuse me of being judgmental for offering scripture for your reproof and correction, saying of me "Hypocrite!" while you quote one scripture against another (against God) and deny all of what is written.

You--not me.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is you who accuse me of being judgmental for offering scripture for your reproof and correction, saying of me "Hypocrite!" while you quote one scripture against another (against God) and deny all of what is written.

You--not me.
Well if OSAS is true I can't lose.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you read your own posts?

"I am reconciled on both 1 John 3:9 and 1 John 1:8-9. But since you respond as if the one voids the other, it would appear that you are not."

What...you think because I chronicled your rejection of the fact that scriptures says "Whoever has been born of God does not sin" that I have judged you?

I have not judged you-- you have confessed. But, indeed, you have judged me.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's OSAS Vs John. I'll believe John!

1 John 1:8-9 (NKJV)

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John included himself. I believe he was saved.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Eternal Security" is also known as "once saved always saved," or "perseverance of the saints." In other words, once someone accepts Christ as their Lord and Savior, there is nothing that he or she can do to separate himself/herself from God, and they will always be saved. This is a false doctrine. Dozens of passages show, without any doubt, that those who believe in Christ can fall away if they do not practice righteousness.

Parable of sower:

Fallen from grace passage:

Pruning passages:

Hebrews Passages:

Doctrinal Apostasy passages:

Moral Apostasy passages:

Revelation passages:

Old Testament passages:

The fact the Bible exhorts to faithfulness proves one can be lost:

1. be "stedfast, unmoveable" (1 Corinthians 15:58).
  2. "For if these things be in you" (2 Peter 1:5-11).
  3. "we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galatians 6:9).
  4. "be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life" (Revelation 2:10).
  5. practice these things and God will be with you (Philippians 4:9).
Man has a free will:

The Bible clearly prophesied some would fall away:
Awesome post!

Popular theology refuted by multiple Scriptures. Love it!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What...you think because I chronicled your rejection of the fact that scriptures says "Whoever has been born of God does not sin" that I have judged you?

I have not judged you-- you have confessed. But, indeed, you have judged me.
You have NEVER sinned since you became a Christian? How long have you been saved?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have NEVER sinned since you became a Christian? How long have you been saved?

First...have you understood anything I have said regarding the biblical reality that there is a man of sin born of the flesh and of women, and if born again, then also another born of God who does not sin, as said the apostle John?

Again, I ask you, are you asking the old me or the new me?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First...have you understood anything I have said regarding the biblical reality that there is a man of sin born of the flesh and of women, and if born again, then also another born of God who does not sin, as said the apostle John?

Again, I ask you, are you asking the old me or the new me?
" You have NEVER sinned since you became a Christian? How long have you been saved?"

VERY simple questions!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

You answer my question "first."
Utterly evasive! You expect us to believe you NEVER sin? How long since you sinned?

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Amen John!

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Utterly evasive! You expect us to believe you NEVER sin? How long since you sinned?

Amen John!

I "expect" that those who are of God would receive "every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."--not just part as you have.

The "evasive" actions are all yours.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I "expect" that those who are of God would receive "every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."--not just part as you have.

The "evasive" actions are all yours.
And you won't even tell us how long you've been saved 'without sin'. Not very convincing! As John said, you're are deceiving yourself.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you won't even tell us how long you've been saved 'without sin'. Not very convincing! As John said, you're are deceiving yourself.

The holdup here is you.

I asked you a question (first), and all you have done is ask your own question to avoid answering.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The holdup here is you.

I asked you a question (first), and all you have done is ask your own question to avoid answering.
So ask again so it can be clear. My questions were perfectly clear!

Well look at this. Peter denied Jesus, a HUGE sin, and he was a Christian. And Peter wrote part of our Bible.

John 18:25-27 (NKJV)
25 Now Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. Therefore they said to him, "You are not also one of His disciples, are you?" He denied it and said, "I am not!" 26 One of the servants of the high priest, a relative of him whose ear Peter cut off, said, "Did I not see you in the garden with Him?" 27 Peter then denied again; and immediately a rooster crowed.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Earnest T Bass said:
Here is the core error of your belief system in that your are trying to substitute faith onlyism for what the Bible teaches about obedience.
I don't teach salvation by "faith only" (James 2:24) which is an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains barren of works. (James 2:14) Not to be confused with "salvation through faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone (Romans 4:5-6) which results in producing works. (Ephesians 2:10) The core error of your belief system is that you are trying to substitute salvation by works for what the Bible teaches about salvation through faith, not works and you also seem to believe that all faith is the same "except for the lack of works" and cannot grasp a deeper faith which trusts in Jesus Christ alone for salvation, which also explains why you have so much faith in works for salvation. Saving faith is belief, trust, reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation and obedience which "follows" is "works." You just can't figure that out and there is a reason for that.

---Obedience to Christ is how one is saved....Paul said in Rom 6:16 "obedience unto righteousness" hence no obedience to God leaves one UNRIGHTEOUS and lost for no verse teaches disobedience unto righteousness.
More eisegesis on your part. In regard to Romans 6:16, I've noticed that works-salvationists (such as yourself) typically ignore "servants of obedience unto righteousness" (Romans 6:16) and simply stress "obedience unto righteousness" as if works of obedience which "follow" saving faith in Christ are "unto righteousness," as if we are saved by works. Your error culminates in works salvation.

In regard to Romans 6:16, there is a contrast here between servants. There are only two kinds of servants in this world, in the spiritual sense - "servants of sin unto death," or "servants of obedience unto righteousness." When we place our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation/believe the gospel by trusting in His finished work of redemption as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation, we then become "servants of obedience unto righteousness." Being servants of sin is put in the past tense. Paul goes on in Romans 6:18 - "You have been set free from sin and have become servants of righteousness."

*Notice in Romans 10:10 - For with the heart one believes unto righteousness..

*Notice in Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith (not works) is accounted for righteousness.

No verse teaches God unconditionally saves/seals the person who continually lives in rebellion to Him.
This is an oxymoron and a straw man argument because those who are born of God do not continually live in rebellion to God. (1 John 3:7-10) God conditionally seals a person upon believing the gospel and they remain sealed unto the day of redemption. (Ephesians 1:13-14; 4:30)

Obedience is how one goes about receiving grace.
Is that what Paul said in Romans 5:1-2? NO. Romans 5:1 - Therefore, having been justified by faith, (and obedience/works? NO. Simply faith) we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace (and obedience/works? NO. Simply faith) in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. The act of obedience that saves is the obedient act of choosing to believe the gospel. Romans 10:16 - But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” Let me know when you are ready to believe the gospel. (Romans 1:16)

---you refuse to acknowledge that obedience to God and works of merit are two completely different things.
If obedience to God through doing good works after one has been saved through faith was the basis or means by which we are saved, then that would be works of merit. As I already explained, you can't have it both ways. Your "works based" false gospel is not obedience to God.

You have never, will never, show one example from the Bible where a person's obedience to God (as Noah obediently building the ark) is called a work of merit whereby that person earned God's favor thereby God owed that person for their obedience.
Noah had already "found grace" (Genesis 6:8), was "a preacher of righteousness" (2 Peter 2:5), and "walked with God" before he built the ark. His obedience was a demonstration of his faith and not the origin of it. Building the ark demonstrated that Noah believed God about flooding the earth and the ark saved Noah and his family (physically) from drowning. (Hebrews 11:17) If Noah would have refused to build the ark, then he would have demonstrated a lack of faith in what God told him about flooding the earth, but of course, that was not the case.

This why being sealed under both the OT and NT laws was conditional upon obedience to God.
As I already showed you that in contrast to this permanent indwelling in the New Testament, the indwelling in the Old Testament was selective and temporary. The Holy Spirit “came upon” such Old Testament people as Joshua (Numbers 27:18), David (1 Samuel 16:12-13) and Saul (1 Samuel 10:10). In the book of Judges, we see the Holy Spirit “coming upon” these various judges whom God raised up to deliver Israel from their oppressors. The Holy Spirit did not permanently indwell them/seal them, but instead, came upon these individuals for specific tasks. So, while in the New Testament the Holy Spirit only indwells believers and that indwelling is permanent, (Ephesians 1:13-14; 4:30) the Holy Spirit came upon certain individuals in the Old Testament for a specific task and not to permanently seal them in Christ. Your conditional upon obedience to God culminates in salvation by works.

This is why the Jews, who were God's chosen, yet were cast off for they did not obey (Rom 11)
The Israelites were in the olive tree to begin with because they were the "natural branches" and not because they were all saved. Because of their unbelief and hard hearts God removed His gracious hand from them as a people overall and broke them off from His goodness (but only for a time after which they will be restored - Romans 11:24-26). Nothing here about disobedient believers being cast off.

and the same for the congregation in Ephesus, Rev 2.
I already thoroughly explained this to you in post #51. In regard to the church in Ephesus in Revelation 2, clearly the Lord wanted the church at Ephesus to repent - to change their minds regarding their works. "You have left your first love" (verse 4). "Repent and do the first works" (verse 5). Works of love no longer characterized the church as a whole in Ephesus. In verses 2 and 6, we see that the church in Ephesus was not totally displeasing to the Lord, yet hating the deeds of the Nicolaitans and standing up for doctrinal purity still cannot be a substitute for love. So, what did the Lord mean when He spoke of removing the church's lampstand if the church in Ephesus did not repent? The removal of the lampstand is clearly figurative language. This does not mean that individuals in the church at Ephesus will lose their salvation, but the church can forfeit its place of light bearing and witness. Ephesus (located in modern day Turkey) in which the vast majority of Turkey is Islam. Go figure.

CONTINUED...

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Earnest T Bass said:
The idea that God unconditionally seals and keeps sealed those that live in disobedience only exists in the imagination of faith onlyists.
Those who are born of God are characterized by obedience and not disobedience. Ephesians 2:2 - And you He made alive, who were (past tense) dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked (past tense) according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience. (unbelievers) Your faith onlyist (James 2:24) straw man argument is a bogus argument made by works-salvationists who ignore Romans 4:2-6.

---Christians are to strive to keep all of Christ's commands.
Strive, yes. Believers "keep" (Greek word - "tereo") guard, observe, watch over His commands. (1 John 2:3) This does not imply sinless, perfect obedience 100% of the time to all of His commands. (Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10) Only Jesus Christ is without sin. (Hebrews 4:15)

Lk 13:24 Jesus did not say do no works to enter heaven but to strive and notice the striving is obeying Christ and it earns nothing, it does not earn one a way into heaven.
In Luke 13:24, we read "strive to enter through the narrow gate" (multiple other translations say "door") and in John 10:9, Jesus said - "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." Jesus is not teaching salvation by works here as works-salvationists (such as yourself) teach. Strive to enter through the narrow gate/door signifies a struggle against conflict. Christ was not suggesting that anyone could merit eternal life by striving or working hard enough to obtain salvation based on the merits of their works/performance, which contradicts numerous passages of scripture. (John 3:15,16,18; 6:28-29; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; Romans 4:5-6; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9; Philippians 3:9 etc..).

No matter how rigorously people labor, they could never earn their way to heaven by their works/performance. Entering through the narrow gate is nonetheless difficult because of its cost in terms of human pride which prevents legalists/works salvationists/unbelievers from trusting exclusively in Jesus Christ as the ALL-SUFFICIENT means of their salvation and entering through the narrow gate/door. For such people their hands are full of their works, and they will not let go in order to receive Christ through faith.

And God does not require sinless perfection in keeping Christ's commands
Amen! Only Jesus Christ was sinless and perfect 100% of the time.

but a faithful obedience to those commands which includes repenting of sins when one falls short....and God will forgive those who repent.
Romans 3:23 - All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Repentance is not about sinless perfection but about a change of mind and the new direction of that change of mind is faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. (Acts 20:21) Moral self-reformation is not a substitute for regeneration.

---evidently you think those who live in rebellion to God are the ones God unconditionally seals/saves by the question you asked.
Straw man argument.

If one does not have to obey Christ on one thing and can still be sealed/saved anyway then one need not obey Christ on anything and can sill be sealed and such renders the NT irrelevant.
Straw man argument.

Making the NT irrelevant by not accepting obedience as the means of reciving grace, faith onlyist are undermining the NT's delegated authority.
Show me the word "obedience" in Romans 5:1-2 or in Ephesians 2:8,9. Obedience is works. It's you who is undermining the NT's delegated authority as you continue to teach salvation by works. God imputes righteousness "apart from works." (Romans 4:6) Your so-called obedience amounts to unbelief.

Denominationalism is made up of divided groups because they cannot even agree with each other over the teachings of the Bible and the Bible condemns all of those sinful divisions.
Don't leave out Campbellism. The so called church of Christ perverts the gospel by teaching salvation by works (with a heavy emphasis on water baptism).

So what do they do? Try and undermine the Bible's teachings, undermine its delegated authority and substitute man made teachings, as faith onlyism, in the place of a 'thus sayeth the Lord".
Your church undermines the Bible's teaching by promoting a man made "works based" false gospel. Faith onlyism is a straw man argument. You don't understand the difference between an empty profession of faith/dead faith (faith onlyism - James 2:14,24) and faith that trusts in Jesus Christ alone for salvation (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) and there is a reason for that.

The Bible clearly teaches obedience seals/saves.
You teach disobedience seals/saves.
Believing the gospel is the act of obedience that seals/saves. (Romans 1:16; 10:16; Ephesians 1:13) I'm not disobedient to the gospel and your unbelief is disobedience.

Again, Paul said obedience UNTO righteousness and NOT one obeys because one has already unconditionally made righteous by faith only apart from obedience. That makes faith only itself disobedience. Since there are only two eternal out comes, condemnation or salvation and Paul puts those two outcomes forth in Rom 6:16...
Your faith only straw man argument is getting old and has reached the point of slander. I don't teach salvation by "faith (empty profession of faith/dead faith) only" per James 2:14,24. I teach salvation by faith in Jesus Christ alone. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) Learn the difference. Do I need to explain Romans 6:16 to you again? Pay attention. In regard to Romans 6:16, works-salvationists (such as yourself) ignore "servants of obedience unto righteousness" (Romans 6:16) and simply stress "obedience unto righteousness" as if works of obedience which "follow" saving faith in Christ are "unto righteousness," as if we are saved by works.

1) serve sin unto death...condemnation
2) obedience unto rightoeusness....salvation
In regard to Romans 6:16, there is a contrast here between servants. There are only two kinds of servants in this world, in the spiritual sense - "servants of sin unto death," or "servants of obedience unto righteousness." When we place our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation/believe the gospel by trusting in His finished work of redemption as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation, we then become "servants of obedience unto righteousness." Being servants of sin is put in the past tense.

Paul goes on in Romans 6:18 - "You have been set free from sin and have become servants of righteousness."

*Notice in Romans 10:10 - For with the heart one believes unto righteousness..

*Notice in Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith (not works) is accounted for righteousness.

.....and since faith onlyism rejects the idea of obedience UNTO righteousness that has faith onlyism serving sin unto death...faith only disobedience to God's will.
Your straw man arguments and straight up slander is really getting old. Your deliberate dishonesty is not appreciated. Romans 6:16 - Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Again, Paul goes on in Romans 6:18 - "You have been set free from sin and have become servants of righteousness." This is not about salvation by works as you suppose and works salvation is disobedience to God's will. (John 6:40; Romans 4:5-6) Again, your so-called obedience (works-righteousness) is actually unbelief.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, I showed from Rom 4:11 that circumcision was a seal and that seal would be broken (circumcision made uncircumcision) if the Jews would not obey (Rom 2:25).
You showed me no such thing. Only your eisegesis. Romans 4:11 - And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also. *Nothing here about a broken seal in Romans 4:11 or Romans 2:25. The Jewish ceremony of circumcision has value only if you obey God’s law. But if you don’t obey God’s law, you are no better off than an uncircumcised Gentile. Again, nothing here about a broken seal.

The Jews thought that since they were descendants of Abraham that meant unconditional, automatic salvation for them, that God must choose them and save them but salvation has NEVER in the OT or NT ever been unconditionally automatic no matter how a person lives. The Jews were God's chosen but lived in disobedience therefore cut off, cast away....
The Jews were mistaken, and Jesus wasted no time telling them how it is in Matthew 3:9 - And do not presume to say to yourselves, we have Abraham for our forefather; for I tell you, God is able to raise up descendants for Abraham from these stones!

Rom 11:19ff
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
The Israelites were in the olive tree to begin with because they were the "natural branches" and not because they were all saved. Because of their unbelief and hard hearts God removed His gracious hand from them as a people overall and broke them off from His goodness (but only for a time after which they will be restored - Romans 11:24-26). We Gentiles have now been grafted into God's goodness and are the recipients of His blessings. Paul's warning is that we should not become arrogant because we might lose the goodness and blessings of God just like the Jews lost the goodness and blessings of God. Professing Christians, who are Gentiles, are corporately in outward covenant with Christ so, it would appear that Romans 11 is speaking about the question of collective ecclesiology and not individual soteriology.

I see the warning to this collective body, which is corporately joined to Christ and is in a covenant relationship, but how could this mean that every individual in it is in saving union with Christ? Hence the "cut off." Union with Christ applies to the elect, and only for the elect are, "the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable." (verse 29) But since non-elect covenant members are mixed in, Christ clearly appears to have non-elect branches, like Judas Iscariot (John 15:1-8) and while they may be joined outwardly in covenant with Christ, since they have professed faith in Jesus, the faith of some of them is spurious because they were never truly saved to begin with, even though they were among genuine believers. (1 John 2:19).

The Jews were God's chosen but they did not have OSAS as seen that they were cut off, cast off for unbelief/disbedience.
They were cut off because of unbelief, which is the opposite of belief. No loss of salvation here.

Logically, the Jews could not be broken off from the tree if they were never part of the tree. If they abide not in unbelief, that is, if they turn and obey God they would be graffed in again. Logically, no need to be graffed in again if it were impossible to ever be broken off!!
Again, the Israelites were in the olive tree to begin with because they were the "natural branches" and not because they were all saved, so your argument goes up in smoke. At what point were these unbelieving Israelites cut off? At what point will the Israelites be grafted in again? Think about it. Romans 11 is speaking about the question of collective ecclesiology and not individual soteriology.

Note the warning to the Gentiles v22. Gentiles were not God's people under the OT but under the NT they were graffed in due to their obedience to God. Yet warned they would REMAIN graffed in, remained sealed "if (A CONDITION) thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off." If they continue to CONDITIONALLY obey they remained sealed, graffed in but if the Gentiles turn and disobey in unbelief as the Jews "thou shalt be cut off" totally refuting OSAS and salvation being unconditional for either the Jews or Gentiles. If OSAS is true, then Rom 11:19-23 with the cutting off and grafting in again makes no sense whatsoever!!!
I already thoroughly explained this and your eisegesis has already been refuted. What I already explained makes perfect sense. You just don't get it.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So ask again so it can be clear. My questions were perfectly clear!

Well look at this. Peter denied Jesus, a HUGE sin, and he was a Christian. And Peter wrote part of our Bible.

John 18:25-27 (NKJV)
25 Now Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. Therefore they said to him, "You are not also one of His disciples, are you?" He denied it and said, "I am not!" 26 One of the servants of the high priest, a relative of him whose ear Peter cut off, said, "Did I not see you in the garden with Him?" 27 Peter then denied again; and immediately a rooster crowed.

No. I was clear and even repeated myself. If you want to move forward, you can go back and go over it again yourself. Just answer the question.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I was clear and even repeated myself. If you want to move forward, you can go back and go over it again yourself. Just answer the question.
Are you really trying to convince us that all those who have been save many years have never sinned since salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.