What is the gospel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Salvation is not Just Forensic

Salvation is not just forensic. As central to our faith as this is, we cannot reduce salvation simply to justification only. Salvation is multifaceted. The work of our Lord includes, regeneration, justification, sanctification and ultimately, glorification, It includes imputation and impartation, not just forgiveness of sin, but a changed heart. We are saved in Christ from both the guilt and power of sin.

We thank God for justification: That the entirety of our standing before God is His declaration of our righteousness in Christ. This cannot be improved upon. We rest in His finished work. But we also thank God that He has imparted His Holy Spirit to us, given us a new heart and ordained the good works we will do, that we might walk in them. The later are the fruits of our new life in Christ, not the root. They do not contribute to the cross of Christ but flow from it.

"...because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Cor 1:30-31

"...those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." Romans 8:30

"work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Phil 2:12-13

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Phil 2:8-10

"No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." 1 John 5:3-4

"We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin...But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. " ROmans 6:6-7.17-18

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. Ezek 36:26-27

"And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." Deut 30:6

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide." John 15:16

Monergism

:)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the gospel?

Romans 1:
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

The power of God is the true meaning of "grace."

2 Peter 1:2-4
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

1 John 3:5
And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

In order for Jesus to take away our sin, He has to take away the source - the sin nature. That is why we can now partake of the divine nature of God in 2 Peter above. That is what is meant by being born again. Sinners cannot inherit the kingdom of God if they are still willfully sinning. Only those who are living up to the light they have are deemed sinless. Phil 3:16. A baby Christian can still be sinning according to all godliness, but their conscience may not yet convict them it is sin. Therefore, they can sin, but only unintentionally.

Intention is the meter that God looks at and judges by.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is not Just Forensic

Salvation is not just forensic. As central to our faith as this is, we cannot reduce salvation simply to justification only. Salvation is multifaceted. The work of our Lord includes, regeneration, justification, sanctification and ultimately, glorification, It includes imputation and impartation, not just forgiveness of sin, but a changed heart. We are saved in Christ from both the guilt and power of sin.

We thank God for justification: That the entirety of our standing before God is His declaration of our righteousness in Christ. This cannot be improved upon. We rest in His finished work. But we also thank God that He has imparted His Holy Spirit to us, given us a new heart and ordained the good works we will do, that we might walk in them. The later are the fruits of our new life in Christ, not the root. They do not contribute to the cross of Christ but flow from it.

"...because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Cor 1:30-31

"...those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." Romans 8:30

"work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Phil 2:12-13

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Phil 2:8-10

"No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." 1 John 5:3-4

"We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin...But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. " ROmans 6:6-7.17-18

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. Ezek 36:26-27

"And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." Deut 30:6

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide." John 15:16

Monergism

:)

What is the gospel? That could be talked on perhaps eternally Joe, in a nutshell it is this, what is actually the theme of the Bible: The vindication of Jehovah’s sovereignty and the fulfillment of His purpose for the earth by means of His Kingdom under Christ, the promised offspring

That is basically what the entire Bible is about, and points to.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The gospel means different things to different people, and all of them may be right. For me it means that God has accomplished to a very real level, what He desired when He spoke to Moses..."let them make me a house (Tabernacle) that I may dwell among them". Calvary has made this possible and real and even more intimate than Adam and Eve ever thought possible... Even in Eden. Christ in us, the hope of glory.

KJV John 17:3
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The experimental knowledge of God and of Jesus Christ whom He has sent, transforms man into the image of God. It gives to man the mastery of himself, bringing every impulse and passion of the lower nature under the control of the higher powers of the mind. It makes its possessor a son of God and an heir of heaven. It brings him into communion with the mind of the Infinite, and opens to him the rich treasures of the universe.

KJV John 17:20-23
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

What unparalleled love and condescension in the part of God to choose to live in man by His Spirit. "What is man that Thou at mindful of him!"

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady