What is the gospel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought that you would never ask.

I have been studying the "Historical Gospel of Jesus Christ" for over 50 years. 20 of that 50 years was with some of the most prominent Christian scholars of our time.

The Gospel is about the work that Jesus did in our name and on our behalf as our substitute and representative. In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles them unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19. The Gospel is a past historical event that took place over 2,000 years ago. Jesus came into the world to do for fallen humanity that which fallen humanity cannot do for himself because he is a sinner.

In our name and on our behalf, Jesus has fulfilled every jot and tittle of the law, Matthew 5:18. In our name and on our behalf, Jesus atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we can say with all confidence and assurance that we are complete in him, Colossians 2:10.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have been studying the "Historical Gospel of Jesus Christ" for over 50 years. 20 of that 50 years was with some of the most prominent Christian scholars of our time.

Dear Robert,

You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life through them; even they testify on my behalf.

But you do not want to come to me to have life.

elevation.jpg

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding Feast of the Lamb of God!

Alma Redemptoris Mater

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Robert,

You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life through them; even they testify on my behalf.

But you do not want to come to me to have life.

View attachment 38493

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding Feast of the Lamb of God!

Alma Redemptoris Mater
You seem to believe that I have not come to Christ as a repentant sinner to be saved by him? What makes you believe that?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I thought that you would never ask.

So you have begun in earnest. ;)
The Gospel is about the work that Jesus did in our name and on our behalf as our substitute and representative. In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles them unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19. The Gospel is a past historical event that took place over 2,000 years ago.

The gospel is not about history but what is available today by grace through faith.
Jesus came into the world to do for fallen humanity that which fallen humanity cannot do for himself because he is a sinner.

That's true.
In our name and on our behalf, Jesus has fulfilled every jot and tittle of the law, Matthew 5:18. In our name and on our behalf, Jesus atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we can say with all confidence and assurance that we are complete in him, Colossians 2:10.
We can't claim benefits for ourselves based on anything we do or believe.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good topic, thanks.
The Bible indicates that there is only one gospel. But is there consensus on what the gospel is?
Who is right, and who is wrong?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of this?
Is the alien righteousness spoken of by R.C. Sproul?

2 Corinthians 5:21 NIV
God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us,
so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

/

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20
And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21
And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Luk 7:22
Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

Luk 6:20
And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Mat 5:3
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jas 2:5
Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you make of this?
Is the alien righteousness spoken of by R.C. Sproul?

/
The problem arises when people try to reverse engineer a verse without understanding it. We become the righteousness of God IN Him.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you have begun in earnest. ;)

The gospel is not about history but what is available today by grace through faith.

That's true.

We can't claim benefits for ourselves based on anything we do or believe.
I claim to be spiritually perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. Not based on anything that I have become or done but based on faith alone. The Gospel is a past historical event. "God was in Christ reconciling us and the world unto God" 2 Corinthians 5:18-19. The word grace is always about God's grace. God was gracious when he sent Jesus into the world to be our savior.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I claim to be spiritually perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. Not based on anything that I have become or done but based on faith alone. The Gospel is a past historical event. "God was in Christ reconciling us and the world unto God" 2 Corinthians 5:18-19. The word grace is always about God's grace. God was gracious when he sent Jesus into the world to be our savior.
Grace is about right now. The gospel is about right now...not a history lesson. Spiritually perfect? Spiritualization in one's imagination? Imagination doesn't set one free. Only a translation into Christ makes one perfect and complete IN Him.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace is about right now. The gospel is about right now...not a history lesson. Spiritually perfect? Spiritualization in one's imagination? Imagination doesn't set one free. Only a translation into Christ makes one perfect and complete IN Him.

The GOSPEL IS:
The Good News
The News is a BETTER Testament.
The Good News Reveals (How and When)
How…BY Gods “WAY”, truth/word, life, power
How…BY man Hearing, Believing, Confessing
How…BY SALVATION offered and given.
When…Now before a physical Death.

The (body) Crucified with Jesus…
The (soul) Saved by Christ Jesus…
The (spirit) Quickened by Christ Jesus..

IS: a whole of a man PERFECT-ED IN Christ.
THAT: IS accounted accomplish-ED
THAT: IS a living Sacrifice of the man.

PERFECT-ED “IN” Christ;
IS a man (body) Accounted dead, forgiven, washed, covered, Sanctified, Justified, Living IN Christ Jesus’ PERFECT Risen Body, Accounted ALIVE A new Creature, (the Lambs Book of Life),
Guaranteed….Once and Forever to Be WITH the Lord God Almighty;
waiting FOR the manifestation (seeing) of OUR Lord God, via… of Redemption (physical Claiming)….Raising of own Body risen IN its OWN Glory (perfection sinless, holy).
* Return of OUR saved soul…OUR quickened spirit…to OUR glorified risen holy body.
* THEN shall we SEE OUR Lord God AS HE IS.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem arises when people try to reverse engineer a verse without understanding it. We become the righteousness of God IN Him.
I encourage reverse engineering actually. But more as a double check.
2 + 3 = 5 and 5 - 3 = 2 That works!

Since we BECOME the righteousness of God, would that be "alien" to his OWN righteousness, as Sproul puts it?

I really see the gospel in this verse. It's an exchange. He became our sin, we become his righteousness. Beautiful.

/

Reactions: rwb and mailmandan

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I encourage reverse engineering actually. But more as a double check.
2 + 3 = 5 and 5 - 3 = 2 That works!

Since we BECOME the righteousness of God, would that be "alien" to his OWN righteousness, as Sproul puts it?

I really see the gospel in this verse. It's an exchange. He became our sin, we become his righteousness. Beautiful.

/
It's definitely a logical surmising...but A WRONG one. The translators flubbed the text in order to get at that logic. But our sins are never imputed to Jesus just as His righteousness is never imputed to us. Only a blind god or an unrighteous god would get things that backwards.

God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. As such He wasn't OUTSIDE of Christ condemning Him.....that was the world that did that. Jesus became sin the way Adam did...going against the ways of men (for Jesus) the same way that Adam went against the ways of God. Jesus became sin in the eyes of men...not God. God never sees holiness and uprightness as sinful. But we do....all the time. Jesus said we would also be hated for His name sake....hated by God???? No, by men...by the principalities and powers. So those who twist the words of Paul to insult the Lord of grace do so at their own peril.

As for God's righteousness...why doesn't it say the righteousness of Christ? That's because it is always His righteousness. That righteousness is a COVERING for those who are IN Christ. Christ in us demonstrating God's righteousness to the world. Those who suffer with Christ as being sinful IN His holiness are covered by God's righteousness. God translates the righteous into His presence...to walk as Jesus walked, without any spot or wrinkle of sin. That's the mystery of the gospel.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.
False. Trusting in a historic event is believing something ABOUT Jesus. That is fact not truth. You are operating on the lower level of fact...not the divine level of truth. Facts don't set you free...they just give you opinions...in this case religious opinions. No one will be judged based on their opinions...but what they did with what they have been given. I hope you realize your great error before the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The GOSPEL IS:
The Good News
The News is a BETTER Testament.
The Good News Reveals (How and When)
How…BY Gods “WAY”, truth/word, life, power
How…BY man Hearing, Believing, Confessing
How…BY SALVATION offered and given.
When…Now before a physical Death.

The (body) Crucified with Jesus…
The (soul) Saved by Christ Jesus…
The (spirit) Quickened by Christ Jesus..

IS: a whole of a man PERFECT-ED IN Christ.
THAT: IS accounted accomplish-ED
THAT: IS a living Sacrifice of the man.

PERFECT-ED “IN” Christ;
IS a man (body) Accounted dead, forgiven, washed, covered, Sanctified, Justified, Living IN Christ Jesus’ PERFECT Risen Body, Accounted ALIVE A new Creature, (the Lambs Book of Life),
Guaranteed….Once and Forever to Be WITH the Lord God Almighty;
waiting FOR the manifestation (seeing) of OUR Lord God, via… of Redemption (physical Claiming)….Raising of own Body risen IN its OWN Glory (perfection sinless, holy).
* Return of OUR saved soul…OUR quickened spirit…to OUR glorified risen holy body.
* THEN shall we SEE OUR Lord God AS HE IS.

Glory to God,
Taken
The living God is not an accountant. He is not blind to our true condition. Either we walk as Jesus walked or we walk in our own strength, being subject to sin and death. Light has no part with darkness...or the schemes of men. Some of what you are saying is true....factual. But truth rises far beyond facts, giving us the power to obey the commandments as Jesus did.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The living God is not an accountant. He is not blind to our true condition. Either we walk as Jesus walked or we walk in our own strength, being subject to sin and death. Light has no part with darkness...or the schemes of men. Some of what you are saying is true....factual. But truth rises far beyond facts, giving us the power to obey the commandments as Jesus did.
The Bible is a spiritual book. The Gospel is a spiritual event.

When the scripture says, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new" 2 Corinthians 5:17. In God's eyes that man is perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

When the scripture says, "And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation" 2 Corinthians 5:18. In God's eyes those that have been reconciled are perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

Paul said, "That I might be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" Philippians 3:9. All that are found to be "In Christ" are perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

If you are not found to be perfect and complete in Christ in the judgment you will most certainly perish.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False. Trusting in a historic event is believing something ABOUT Jesus. That is fact not truth. You are operating on the lower level of fact...not the divine level of truth. Facts don't set you free...they just give you opinions...in this case religious opinions. No one will be judged based on their opinions...but what they did with what they have been given. I hope you realize your great error before the end.
I am not merely believing "mental assent" something about Jesus, namely that His death, burial and resurrection "happened.' Even the demons believe that it "happened." I am trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of my salvation.

That's the difference between merely believing with your head and believing with your heart. (Romans 10:8-10) Being judged by what you did with what you have been given in regard to rewards for believers is a different issue.

I have no great error to realize. Salvation is a free gift received by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8,9) and is not a reward received based on the merits of our performance/works. I hope you realize your great error before the end. (2 Corinthians 4:3,4)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible is a spiritual book. The Gospel is a spiritual event.

When the scripture says, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new" 2 Corinthians 5:17. In God's eyes that man is perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

When the scripture says, "And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation" 2 Corinthians 5:18. In God's eyes those that have been reconciled are perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

Paul said, "That I might be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" Philippians 3:9. All that are found to be "In Christ" are perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

More than an event...a bridge into eternal truth and reality.
If you are not found to be perfect and complete in Christ in the judgment you will most certainly perish.
Not so much. If we are not perfect and complete in Christ we will not the the bride. We will not have an eternal reward. There are also many guests invited to the feast of the Lamb...who are both bad and good. The meek will inherit the Earth. AND...there are also vessels of dishonour as well as vessels of dishonour as in any great house.