What is the one true Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes there was......but not too many English words in them.
It appears that you have trouble comprehending time periods and how history moves through them.
Because you keep making one mistake after another.
Whether it's English or Swahili - a translated word means the smae thing in either language.

I don't think I've seen this level of ignorance from anybosh on this forum . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what is best? Do you really think God is impressed by large Cathedrals decked with costly arrays?

The whore of Babylon in Revelation 17 is described as arrayed opulently. I suppose she was displaying her best.

....and by the way, I have been to and seen the large Cathedrals in various Sth American countries.....and they are opulent......while the population languishes in poverty.......while beggars frequent their steps.
Do you think these structures are financed by the generosity of the Vatican?.....which gets it funds from where? You know as well as I do that the people are fleeced under the pretext of bringing their best to God or some other rort.

Now what sort of manipulation is dished out to the common folk to achieve these results......even while they languish?
Glad you brought that up – because NOBODY parallels the Catholic Church in its care for the poor and homeless. The Catholic Church is the LARGEST charitable organization in the WORLD.

Every day, the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, shelters, educates and gives medical care to more people than ANY organization in the world – even more than many countries. Charities run by the Church include:

- 5,305 hospitals including 1694 in the Americas and 1,150 in Africa.

- 18,179 clinics including 5,762 in the Americas and 5,312 in Africa 3,884 in Asia.
- 17,223 homes for old people, the terminally ill and the handicapped – most of them (8,021) in Europe and the Americas (5,650).
orphanages – a third of them in Asia.
- Countless homeless shelters and food banks.

Indeed, most countries around the world don’t even come CLOSE to the charitable contributions of the Church.
When YOUR sect can make that claim - THEN you can complain about how much you hate what we offer to God.

We give our best to God – AND to our fellow man.
WHY would you offer anything less??

Reactions: Marymog

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether it's English or Swahili - a translated word means the smae thing in either language.
The joke is on you......you need to do a study on Koine Greek. If someone was reading the Bible from the Koine Greek perspective he would be very confused. LOL

Persons, places, and things are translated one way....and the rest LOL you better understand what the topic was about from the perspective of the time period and culture.....Got your trusty Strong's handy.....no wonder you do not understand scriptures.

It has really not been fun talking to you.....because even spoon feeding you things....still goes over your head.....so as the English say, You are boring me now! Move on to someone else.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By recognizing the relation between over watch and over see, I think I demonstrated write well how languages work. What you stubbornly refuse to recognize is there is some intellectual integrity outside of your own narrow prejudicial perceptions and deceptive reasoning. Your say above you doesn't matter what word is used, yet here...

You spilt hairs and stained a gnat as a method of rebuffing... Calling yourself an educator and the other pathetic...."proving him wrong"... Yet much of what he was saying...

Could be discussed without having to invent arguments destined to defeat the opposition.
You are so intent on winning, you ignore what others are actually saying. You are so focused on tearing others down, you are blind to the good things they are trying to share with you. Even regarding your own behavior. It has been the observation of many over the years that your belligerent win at all costs attitude does not reflect well on your church, even less so on Him whom you claim to represent. But there is no humility. Not one skerrick of recognition that maybe, just maybe, even just a little bit, a possibility that others are justified in their observations and perhaps you might want to tone down your rhetoric in order to make a better impact and have a greater influence on your readers. Perhaps.
Looks lke the ENTIRE point of my argument went over your head.

The argument wasn't over the terms Over-seer and Over-watcher. Those were merely comparisons about the actualmeaning of the word Episkopos. EITHER onoe of those words can ve used, as well as Bishop - and it would mean the SAME thing.
Grailhunter is extremely confused about HOW translation from one language to another works.

I realize that you don't like me and look for ANY opportunity to deride me - but next tme, pay attention to the WHOLE discussion . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The joke is on you......you need to do a study on Koine Greek. If someone was reading the Bible from the Koine Greek perspective he would be very confused. LOL

Persons, places, and things are translated one way....and the rest LOL you better understand what the topic was about from the perspective of the time period and culture.....Got your trusty Strong's handy.....no wonder you do not understand scriptures.

It has really not been fun talking to you.....because even spoon feeding you things....still goes over your head.....so as the English say, You are boring me now! Move on to someone else.
I figured the conversation was getting too confusing for you.

I STRONGLY suggest a rudimentary study of Etymology and possible a beginner's guide to Greek translation . . .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Glad you brought that up – because NOBODY parallels the Catholic Church in its care for the poor and homeless. The Catholic Church is the LARGEST charitable organization in the WORLD.

Every day, the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, shelters, educates and gives medical care to more people than ANY organization in the world – even more than many countries. Charities run by the Church include:

- 5,305 hospitals including 1694 in the Americas and 1,150 in Africa.

- 18,179 clinics including 5,762 in the Americas and 5,312 in Africa 3,884 in Asia.
- 17,223 homes for old people, the terminally ill and the handicapped – most of them (8,021) in Europe and the Americas (5,650).
orphanages – a third of them in Asia.
- Countless homeless shelters and food banks.

Indeed, most countries around the world don’t even come CLOSE to the charitable contributions of the Church.
When YOUR sect can make that claim - THEN you can complain about how much you hate what we offer to God.

We give our best to God – AND to our fellow man.
WHY would you offer anything less??
....and Satan presents himself as an angel of light.
....but betrays himself by pointing to his 'good works' 'look at me, look at me, look at me .....I'm the greatest, I have the numbers, nobody else compares'.......and without shame says, glorify me!

......when Jesus says, 'don't let your left hand know what your right hand does'

Reactions: Brakelite

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course I do. The Catholic denomination wanted to take back the holy land from the infidels by waging wars.
Hi Jim,

Well, at least you are more reasonable and less venomous than most people on here in your answer, and I appreciate that.

Just a slight correction to your answer though: The Church didn't wage wars by calling for the Crusades. The Church fought back against the attacks from the Muslims of taking land, the killing/torture of Christians or forcing them to convert to Islam. The Church (what you call the "Catholic denomination") organized, rallied and partially bankrolled the pushback. If The Church (what you call the Catholic denomination) hadn't done this, YOU would probably be Muslim.

You're welcome!!

Mary

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jim,

Well, at least you are more reasonable and less venomous than most people on here in your answer, and I appreciate that.

Just a slight correction to your answer though: The Church didn't wage wars by calling for the Crusades. The Church fought back against the attacks from the Muslims of taking land, the killing/torture of Christians or forcing them to convert to Islam. The Church (what you call the "Catholic denomination") organized, rallied and partially bankrolled the pushback. If The Church (what you call the Catholic denomination) hadn't done this, YOU would probably be Muslim.

You're welcome!!

Mary
You wrote, "The Church fought back against the attacks from the Muslims of taking land, the killing/torture of Christians or forcing them to convert to Islam." What is it about "fought" that you don't understand? Fighting is waging war and killing, which is what the Catholics did.

And you ignore the wars that the Catholics fought against indigenous peoples. They murdered all who wouldn't submit to them. And they "Christianized" the indigenous children.

BTW, I would never be a Muslim.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. But let's define "saints"
They are not chosen by the Catholic church but by God. Saints are God's true people, people who are spiritually re-born by choice and repentance.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are not chosen by the Catholic church but by God. Saints are God's true people, people who are spiritually re-born by choice and repentance.
All believers are saints. The word means "sanctified". There is no special class of people who are saints and others are not.

Reactions: Cassandra

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were MANY languages in existence before English came along.
Ever heard of the Tower of Babel? Ever read the day of Pentecost in Acts 2?

You are a victim of BAD education and BAD theology . . .
No , not true . every different langauge was given on the day GOD sent confusion amongst the people .
versions of languages do change .
RUINC . English has been spoken for a long , long time . In a form we might not understand today .
As far as the RCC is concerned , i would run and not look back .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All believers are saints. The word means "sanctified". There is no special class of people who are saints and others are not.
ALL BELIEVERS are saints . BELIEVERS IN HE WHOM GOD DID SEND .
Believers wont preach another jesus or another gospel .
They preach the words of Christ , of the apostels and all biblical sound doctrine .
MUSLIMS are false
buddism is false
hindusim is false
progressivism is false
prosperity gospel is false
nar is false
Social all inclusive progressive gospel , is not only false , IT IS THE LIE to gather all to be as one , with one mind
and one heart under the dragon .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a pretty good definition of all serious believers.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL BELIEVERS are saints . BELIEVERS IN HE WHOM GOD DID SEND .
Believers wont preach another jesus or another gospel .
They preach the words of Christ , of the apostels and all biblical sound doctrine .
MUSLIMS are false
buddism is false
hindusim is false
progressivism is false
prosperity gospel is false
nar is false
Social all inclusive progressive gospel , is not only false , IT IS THE LIE to gather all to be as one , with one mind
and one heart under the dragon .
LOL!!! Here are two very good definitions of the "social, all-inclusive gospel"...

Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [plural] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

John 3:16-17, “For God so loved the world [socially-inclusive!] that he gave his only Son, so that everyone [socially-inclusive!] who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world [socially-inclusive!] but in order that the world [socially-inclusive!] might be saved through him."

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL!!! Here are two very good definitions of the "social, all-inclusive gospel"...

Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [plural] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

John 3:16-17, “For God so loved the world [socially-inclusive!] that he gave his only Son, so that everyone [socially-inclusive!] who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world [socially-inclusive!] but in order that the world [socially-inclusive!] might be saved through him."
Yet this is not what is implied in truth by the all inclusive social gospel . You know as well as i do
they preach muslims and others worship the same GOD we do . THEY DIDNT COME to CHRIST .
oh they might use his name , but will surely reject some of His teachings .
Like verse eighteen that you forgot to mention . But all who believe not will be damned . THEY WONT teach that part .
No sir . They like oprah wimphrey and francis , they focus on another gospel .
The social one , which as of late even has its own new ten commandemnts .
And worse it will get too as time goes on .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet this is not what is implied in truth by the all inclusive social gospel . You know as well as i do
they preach muslims and others worship the same GOD we do . THEY DIDNT COME to CHRIST .
oh they might use his name , but will surely reject some of His teachings .
Like verse eighteen that you forgot to mention . But all who believe not will be damned . THEY WONT teach that part .
No sir . They like oprah wimphrey and francis , they focus on another gospel .
The social one , which as of late even has its own new ten commandemnts .
And worse it will get too as time goes on .
LOL!!! More of your judgmental garbage!!!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They are not chosen by the Catholic church but by God.
Agreed. A canonized saint in the Catholic Church is a person who is officially recognized as having lived a life of heroic virtue while on earth.

The word itself is derived from the Latin word sanctus, meaning “holy,” and in general refers to all the faithful who strive after a life of holiness.

However, the most common usage is in referring to those men and women who lead exemplary lives of holiness.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains why the Church often singles out specific individuals with this title.

By canonizing some of the faithful, i.e., by solemnly proclaiming that they practiced heroic virtue and lived in fidelity to God’s grace, the Church recognizes the power of the Spirit of holiness within her and sustains the hope of believers by proposing the saints to them as models and intercessors. “The saints have always been the source and origin of renewal in the most difficult moments in the Church’s history.” Indeed, “holiness is the hidden source and infallible measure of her apostolic activity and missionary zeal.”
CCC 828

Were saints perfect?​

Canonization doesn’t mean that the individual was perfect. Only Jesus and the Blessed Mother were conceived without the stain of sin and led lives of absolute perfection.

The key word in this discussion of saints is “heroic” virtue and refers to the saint’s ability to overcome sinful tendencies and temptations. They weren’t immune to sin, and many of them had to struggle for years to conquer their sinful passions.

Saints weren’t perfect. They made mistakes just like everybody else. What sets them apart with the title “saint” in the Catholic Church is that they did not stay down when they fell. By God’s grace, these holy men and women stood up, brushed off the dirt and kept moving forward. That is why we imitate them.
Saints are God's true people, people who are spiritually re-born by choice and repentance.
Again, agreed.
1 Cor. 1:2; Rom. 1:7 – we are called to be saints. Saints refer to both those on earth and in heaven who are in Christ. Proof:

Acts 9:13,32,41; 26:10; 1 Cor. 6:1-2; 14:33; 2 Cor. 1:1; 8:4; 9:1-2; 13:13; Rom. 8:27; 12:23; 15:25,26, 31; 16:2,15; Eph. 1:1,15,18; 3:8; 5:3; 6:18; Phil. 1:1; 4:22; Col 1:2,4,26; 1 Tm 5:10; Philemon 1:5,7; Heb. 6:10; 13:24; Jude 1:3; Rev. 11:18; 13:7; 14:12; 16:6; 17:6;18:20,24; Rev 19:8; 20:9 – in these verses, we see that Christians still living on earth are called “saints.”

Matt. 27:52; Eph. 2:19; 3:18; Col. 1:12; 2 Thess. 1:10; Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4; 11:18; 13:10 – in these verses, we also see that “saints” also refer to those in heaven who united with us.

Dan. 4:13,23; 8:23 – we also see that the angels in heaven are also called “saints.” The same Hebrew word “qaddiysh” (holy one) is applied to both humans and angels in heaven. Hence, there are angel saints in heaven and human saints in heaven and on earth. Loving beings (whether angels or saints) are concerned for other beings, and prayer is the spiritual way of expressing that love.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wrote, "The Church fought back against the attacks from the Muslims of taking land, the killing/torture of Christians or forcing them to convert to Islam." What is it about "fought" that you don't understand? Fighting is waging war and killing, which is what the Catholics did.

And you ignore the wars that the Catholics fought against indigenous peoples. They murdered all who wouldn't submit to them. And they "Christianized" the indigenous children.

BTW, I would never be a Muslim.
Got it Jim. It seems you are a pacifist.

If you were alive during any of the Crusades (they lasted from the 11th thru 13th century) would you have allowed the Muslims to take over all Christian holy sites, your churches, torture/kill your neighbors/family, forced conversions etc and allowed them to continue their wars of expansion by taking over the entire world? Or would have you fought back????????????

I didn't ignore anything. We are talking about the Crusades. A topic YOU mentioned. If you would like to talk about something other than the Crusades....let me know. How can I ignore something we are not talking about???

Since YOU brought it up: What YOU ignored is the FACT that some Protestants "murdered all who wouldn't submit to them". Soooooooo why did you only mention The Church doing that?

Keeping it real....Mary