What is the point of a forum if you cannot speak?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rita, what is the point of an "unorthodox" forum if its content is censored? You said its not the topic but the ones who can't be civil in their discussion.....so, allow free topics just in this one forum...and remove offenders, not content.....its not too much to ask, surely...?
Permanently ban those who can't be civil from that forum so that they cannot post there. We will all be mindful of what we say if there are consequences.
You will lose posters if you take such a hard line on this....and the site depends on its advertisers who will not support the site if the numbers go down.

A site needs a bit of controversy to stay relevant in today's world....we didn't have to worry about advertisers before, but now pretty much all sites depend on them to survive. Censoring what topics can be discussed is what will drive people away. We have already lost some regular posters.
Having a forum where those who want to avoid the sensitive topics, can do so, allows free speech.....please don't become like all the boring others....do you just want an echo chamber? Or can we discuss these things like adults? Censor the ones who make personal slurs and who name call, but please don't stifle open discussion. Punish the offenders if you must, and make the rules of civility mean something. We don't need to call people names to get our point across. We need to defend what we believe the way Jesus did.....with God's word.

Debates are about stating your case and allowing others to make their own judgments....Bible bashing with name calling never accomplishes anything, but presenting the Bible's truth is why we are all here......there are many more who read than who post, so for their benefit let the hot topics remain and:Oh no: any comment that violates the rules of civility and respect.

Pleading here.....this is the best Bible discussion site on the net.....don't let the hot-heads ruin it.
Bleating like a sheep does not qualify as being a sheep!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just interested in your POV......its one of the reasons I came here. I like to learn and understand what others believe as well as why they believe it.
Do you have a problem with that? I like to gain my information first hand rather than distorted second hand stuff that is far from accurate but attractive to those who are not interested in knowing the truth from someone else's side of the story.

Feel free to enlighten me......or not. :watching and waiting:

One question is more desirable than five. If you have "a question" I will be happy to enlighten.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Wrangler you wasted no time, when you came back, getting on your favorite platform and continuing with it stirring the pot...and what conclusion can be made of it?
None....because there is never a conclusion to satisfy both sides of the argument.
That is the way it is with all timeless moral issues! Do you think the argument for abortion or euthanasia is different now than thousands of years ago?

A false claim regarding global warming is "the science is settled." It is false because the topic is not about science but morals, specifically politics. Bill Bradley, champion NBA player for the New York Knicks was asked to compare politics to winning a championship.

He said when you win a championship, they can never take it from you. In politics, the day after a major victory, the other side is working to undo it; that it is perpetual. So, what do you expect in religion? There is reason to suppose it would be any different in religion.

In fact, the opposite is reasonable to expect. There is little argument that 2 + 2 = 4. But the more ambiguous and uncertain the topic, the more the debate rages on.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is the way it is with all timeless moral issues! Do you think the argument for abortion or euthanasia is different now than thousands of years ago?

A false claim regarding global warming is "the science is settled." It is false because the topic is not about science but morals, specifically politics. Bill Bradley, champion NBA player for the New York Knicks was asked to compare politics to winning a championship.

He said when you win a championship, they can never take it from you. In politics, the day after a major victory, the other side is working to undo it; that it is perpetual. So, what do you expect in religion? There is reason to suppose it would be any different in religion.

In fact, the opposite is reasonable to expect. There is little argument that 2 + 2 = 4. But the more ambiguous and uncertain the topic, the more the debate rages on.
The trap wisdom is elusive to.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think @Heart2Soul has a point. There are some here who seem to thrive on "raging debates." They go out of their way to promote it.

It's just one thread after another promoting those debates, in a sort of provoking manner.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a lot of things you can't say on Christian forums. The real question is, what is it that you are trying to promote by breaking the rules?
Speaking Biblical truths should be allowed, especially on Christian forums. I have noticed a comment about some not being allowed to talk about the trinity, yet I believe that the vast majority of those claiming Christianity believe in some form of that doctrine. Do you consider it appropriate to not allow someone to comment on what is considered to be a Christian doctrine Devin? I don't. Anything involving Scripture should be allowed. I have seen some stopped involving politics, and I certainly am not opposed to that, unless it falls into Biblical prophecy, such as the Kings of the north and south, or maybe the rise and fall of world powers.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking Biblical truths should be allowed, especially on Christian forums. I have noticed a comment about some not being allowed to talk about the trinity, yet I believe that the vast majority of those claiming Christianity believe in some form of that doctrine. Do you consider it appropriate to not allow someone to comment on what is considered to be a Christian doctrine Devin? I don't. Anything involving Scripture should be allowed. I have seen some stopped involving politics, and I certainly am not opposed to that, unless it falls into Biblical prophecy, such as the Kings of the north and south, or maybe the rise and fall of world powers.

Robert, it seems the Mods had no choice. This subject was getting out of control.

All are not as respectful as you! I wish we all were!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue is not free speech but attacks on fundamental Bible doctrines.

And I think that's the problem with forums like this. People think they are called to teach and preach to everyone on the internet. This is why so many internet preachers are out there, and most promote false doctrine. Everyone that is new wants to be a teacher. Most people should do as the Alcoholics Anonymous teaches, be quiet and listen when they first become a Christian. Not that everyone is new though and I'm certainly not saying that about you Robert.

I don't get on here to preach and teach. I got on here to be friendly and learn more about the scriptures and what they mean to me individually. I take away what I feel the spirit is telling me is correct and ignore the rest.

So yes, people that get onto the internet to teach are usually the problem. You'll notice if you research that 96% of Christians observe Christmas. Yet 80% here do not. Why is that? That we have so many unusual Christians on this forum? And are they called to teach unusual Christianity?
Then why are you here sir? Jesus commission was to reach everyone correct? It would continue until it reached all nations Mat 24:14. Do you not understand these are real people here typing these words, and they have every right to hear the message of the Bible? This is a great way to reach others, and since they are searching this site, obviously they have an interest in God, these are generally the type of people that a Christian would reach out to, since they are obviously searching. Note too, there are people even from other countries that get reached through this channel.

Why would a Christian observe christmas Devin? Do you see any example of anyone observing it in the Bible? Did Jesus? Remember Christians are Jesus' disciples, observing the things he commanded Mat 28:20. Since we live in the age of information, why not research what christmas really is, and if God would be happy with someone giving His son devotions that were dedicated to other gods.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's just one thread after another promoting those debates, in a sort of provoking manner.

No one is required to take the bait. ‘He started it’ is not in keeping with Biblical principles.

This subject was getting out of control.

All are not as respectful as you! I wish we all were!
Two different subjects: the topic under discussion and disrespectful people or exchanges.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is required to take the bait. ‘He started it’ is not in keeping with Biblical principles.

Two different subjects: the topic under discussion and disrespectful people or exchanges.

Why should there be any bait to begin with?

I can understand being zealous for the Lord, and there is a fine line that we need to be aware of.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of us know everything. I think censorship should be kept to a minimum. I think there are websites where the truth sometimes gets censored, simply because someone doesn't agree with it.
I fully agree Bob, this has been the greatest site I have ever posted on, next to Craigslist which censored nothing, but now new ones are not allowed to post there. Someone new has taken over here, the layout has changed, and I have observed many threads closed, but after some personal comments from others, I am wondering if they are only off limits to some to reply. Unless someone gets totally off the wall, or totally out of range of what is religious by nature, their opinion should be allowed. Just because they say it doesn't mean we have to believe it, and all should recognize it is either truth or not.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of us that post here speak some truth, some falsehood. But we bear testimony of our Gods. It is ashamed that someone who determines what Biblical truth is prevents others from stating their opinion, who is in favor of that?

your thread title:

What is the point of a forum if you cannot speak?​

For me it is useful in working out thoughts and being able to go back later to reread those thoughts. How maybe those thoughts have changed or some I’ve forgotten and wish to revisit. I don’t think a forum can keep you from speaking. They may try to regulate what is shared but you always have the freedom to go someplace else. if you watch threads though; a lot of times they are controlled where they soon get derailed in another direction. Is this what you speak of by your question of what is the point of a forum where you cannot speak.
Derailed threads are common. Is this also a form of censorship?
You are kind (I don’t say this to degrade you but to make a point that we all try to control what is spoken); this has happened in our exchanges before too. Where I may post…then you choose to take control asking me about Jehovah and who Jesus is; taking control of what is spoken. Where you may not agree and feel better to steer what is spoken towards what you prefer to be spoken more so than the original thought. Does that make sense? I’m sure I steer too and regulate and censor; invading what others speak often.I do this in relationships too where I’m already planning my next words and not really listening to the other person. It doesn’t get far though. Is that what you mean by your question “what is the point of the forum if you cannot speak?” That what is the point of a forum when no one is listening? We can’t listen. (A lot of times) most of us are already planning our next “quick” come-back comment; very seldom listening to what is spoken anyways. Like broken records that skip over and over at the same place which is our “agenda” …you make a good point but to me it isn’t that you can’t speak on a forum; but instead the…no one listens for speaking…:Oh no:

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have read Paul's letters, how he was given the revelation of the New Covenant by Christ, you would know that requirement is faith.

But you don't believe Paul when he says that Grace is not given to him who works for it, but to him who doesn't work for it but believes, to him is granted the righteousness by Grace through faith.

Most of you who work for their salvation don't realize that salvation is instant, it takes place the very second you place faith in the finished work of Christ.

It's a total perversion of Scripture to teach that we must work for salvation! Salvation has never been by works from the beginning of man!

But man feels he has to earn it in some way, and that is where Grace ends, and their is no salvation! It's simply not Grace when one is working for it.
Paul did not contradict other disciples Charlie, Jesus own brother James clearly stated if you don't have works, you simply don't have faith. Everyone has faith sir, in fact deep down everyone thinks they are righteous in God's eyes as stated at Pro 21:2. You are posting here for some reason, and that is the assignment given to Christians, to approach others with the good news of the Kingdom. Anytime someone thinks there is an error in the Bible, or something contradicts, it is not the Bible, it is our understanding that is at fault.

I will state very clearly, it is not works that save you, you are very well correct, and further it is not faith that saves you either, it is dead without works, you have to believe that God is, and becomes the rewarder of those earnestly, yes earnestly seeking Him Charlie. You can read that for yourself at Hebrews 11:6.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul did not contradict other disciples Charlie, Jesus own brother James clearly stated if you don't have works, you simply don't have faith. Everyone has faith sir, in fact deep down everyone thinks they are righteous in God's eyes as stated at Pro 21:2. You are posting here for some reason, and that is the assignment given to Christians, to approach others with the good news of the Kingdom. Anytime someone thinks there is an error in the Bible, or something contradicts, it is not the Bible, it is our understanding that is at fault.

I will state very clearly, it is not works that save you, you are very well correct, and further it is not faith that saves you either, it is dead without works, you have to believe that God is, and becomes the rewarder of those earnestly, yes earnestly seeking Him Charlie. You can read that for yourself at Hebrews 11:6.

There is a difference in justification and sanctification, Robert. We are justified by faith, period!

Sanctification is not part of salvation, it is the result of salvation.

Paul plainly teaches that we are justified by faith, not of works, on this we agree.

But some want to make the sanctification of the saint a requirement for salvation, this is wrong!

Did not Paul say that every man's work will be tested by fire, to see what sort it is?

Did he not also say that the works of some will not pass that test, BUT, they will still be saved despite the fire burning up their works?

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Nancy

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bait________ fish.
Lol I love the crispness of Monday morning...... ......lol

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference in justification and sanctification, Robert. We are justified by faith, period!

Sanctification is not part of salvation, it is the result of salvation.

Paul plainly teaches that we are justified by faith, not of works, on this we agree.

But some want to make the sanctification of the saint a requirement for salvation, this is wrong!

Did not Paul say that every man's work will be tested by fire, to see what sort it is?

Did he not also say that the works of some will not pass that test, BUT, they will still be saved despite the fire burning up their works?

Attachments

• C4070DCC-F0C5-41BF-9444-BB31E5B437C7.gif
    C4070DCC-F0C5-41BF-9444-BB31E5B437C7.gif
    687.8 KB · Views: 6

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is keeping you from speaking. And unless you can identify exactly what, when, where and why you can't speak then you are creating a false ideology and spreading this throughout the minds of members who may presume something entirely different than what you are saying.
You want to speak...then speak. And be honest with your words...projecting your own opinion as fact when it is not factual in the least.
As far as I know Heart, I have had none of my posts closed. I have seen several here that I assume are closed as there is no reply, and sometimes I notice a note that states it has been closed, observing other commenters, perhaps it is only closed to me, I am unaware. This has been a great site, it was very rare that anyone got closed, and they was usually quite out of bounds so to speak. I am not observing it being that way recently.

No point in discussing it really, if it is to be, so be it. It is out there now, and I am finding that the majority want to see the censorship, I am not among them. If it is a religious comment by nature, it should be allowed, especially if backed up by scripture. A police officer once called someone a sheeple, he didn't mean it in a good way, but I knew what he meant.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why should there be any bait to begin with?
Jesus did not answer most yes or no questions with yes or no.

It seems to me the rule change is in response to an infantilized society, who needs safe spaces as they cannot tolerate being exposed to ideas they don’t agree with (or care to discuss).

If there was thread after thread about topics that bothered me, I’d just focus on those threads that I do want to delve into. Simple.

The idea that censorship is the only viable response to adult conversation is beneath the pale.

Reactions: tigger 2

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not answer most yes or no questions with yes or no.

It seems to me the rule change is in response to an infantilized society, who needs safe spaces as they cannot tolerate being exposed to ideas they don’t agree with (or care to discuss).

If there was thread after thread about topics that bothered me, I’d just focus on those threads that I do want to delve into. Simple.

The idea that censorship is the only viable response to adult conversation is beneath the pale.

Unlike many sites, the Mods here are neutral, as they should be.

Post after post on the same subject leaves little to the imagination as to the intent.

Some just can't let it go, they have to force their opinions on others with repeated attempts.

Nothing wrong with stating your beliefs and opinions, but all things should be done in moderation.

Reactions: Rita and L.A.M.B.
Status
Not open for further replies.