What makes a doctrine false?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Any belief that is based in salvation is based in fear.
Two passages:

Joh 16:7-15 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. (8) And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (9)
  • of sin, because they do not believe in Me; (10)
  • of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; (11)
  • of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
(12) "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. (13) However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. (14) He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. (15) All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

1Co 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another very interesting post, thanks.
So, how do you separate salvation from Christianity?
Or is that not what you were saying?
I guess when we talk about freedom we mean salvation and in a simple sence this is fine. But when I say "based in salvation" I mean all the toxic beliefs that say we will burn in hell if we don't accept Jesus Christ as our savior. The understanding of salvation has been taken completely out of context and has been used as a means of control and compliance by the church.

The alignment of our free will with Truth and morality brings us salvation. The idea that knowing the physicle existence of Jesus is the only way to freedom makes it exclusive and creates division and war. The Truth is not exclusive nor is God a divider of things. God infact is the opposite and brings all things together in unity. The True Jesus of the bible made this very clear. He fed the poor, he sat with tax collectors and he accepted pagans. He saw the Truth in everything and everyone and apposed the religious leaders of his time.

So it is true when we say that we must accept Jesus as our savior because Jesus aligned himself with Truth and morality and became a living example of what Truth and morality is. When we accept Jesus as saviour we need to understand that he is a representation of Truth.

When we see Jesus we see him for the spirit of "Truth" or "God" and this is what it means to believe without seeing.

Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen, and have believed."

People who do not have "ears to hear" or "eyes to see" cannot concieve the unseen nature behind the story, action or person. They are attached to the material realm. They analyse with interlect and completely miss the Truth.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Please quote what you would like to respond to. Thanks.

1. You've never heard it before. (knee-jerk defensive response)

2. You have heard of it before, but assume it's false. (haven't looked into it)

3. Doesn't align with your church's doctrine (your church would say it is false)

4. Doesn't align with your personal doctrine (your views differ)

5. YOUR "Bible" says it is false. (other biblical opinions don't matter)

6. It makes you uncomfortable. (therefore it must be wrong)

7. Everyone knows it's false. (except those who believe it)
Subject heading:- 'What makes a doctrine false?'

Hello @St. SteVen,

Thought provoking, thank you. :)

* Into my mind come the words of Paul to Timothy:-

'Hold fast the form of sound words,
which thou hast heard of me,
in faith and love
which is in Christ Jesus.'

(2Ti 1:13)

* I shall give this further thought and hopefully come back.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Let no man therefore judge you
.. in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday,
.... or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
...... Which are a shadow of things to come;
........ but the body is of Christ.
Let no man beguile you of your reward
.. in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels,
.... intruding into those things which he hath not seen,
...... vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
........ And not holding the Head,
.......... from which all the body by joints and bands
............ having nourishment ministered, and knit together,
.............. increaseth with the increase of God.
Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world,
why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
.. (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using )
.... after the commandments and doctrines of men?
...... Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom
........ in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body;
.......... not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.'

(Col 2:16-23)

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess when we talk about freedom we mean salvation and in a simple sence this is fine. But when I say "based in salvation" I mean all the toxic beliefs that say we will burn in hell if we don't accept Jesus Christ as our savior. The understanding of salvation has been taken completely out of context and has been used as a means of control and compliance by the church.

The alignment of our free will with Truth and morality brings us salvation. The idea that knowing the physicle existence of Jesus is the only way to freedom makes it exclusive and creates division and war. The Truth is not exclusive nor is God a divider of things. God infact is the opposite and brings all things together in unity. The True Jesus of the bible made this very clear. He fed the poor, he sat with tax collectors and he accepted pagans. He saw the Truth in everything and everyone and apposed the religious leaders of his time.

So it is true when we say that we must accept Jesus as our savior because Jesus aligned himself with Truth and morality and became a living example of what Truth and morality is. When we accept Jesus as saviour we need to understand that he is a representation of Truth.

When we see Jesus we see him for the spirit of "Truth" or "God" and this is what it means to believe without seeing.

Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen, and have believed."

People who do not have "ears to hear" or "eyes to see" cannot concieve the unseen nature behind the story, action or person. They are attached to the material realm. They analyse with interlect and completely miss the Truth.
Fascinating discussion. Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed replies.

I suppose there is quite a range of alignment/nonalignment with the "Truth" of "God's law" (consciousness of morality and right).
And everyone of us find a place along that range in our thoughts and behavior over a lifetime.

How does our placement along that range of alignment affect our afterlife, in your view?
I'm a Christian Universalist. So, I completely track with your view on the religion of fear and hell.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Let no man therefore judge you
.. in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday,
.... or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
...... Which are a shadow of things to come;
........ but the body is of Christ.
Let no man beguile you of your reward
.. in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels,
.... intruding into those things which he hath not seen,
...... vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
........ And not holding the Head,
.......... from which all the body by joints and bands
............ having nourishment ministered, and knit together,
.............. increaseth with the increase of God.
Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world,
why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
.. (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using )
.... after the commandments and doctrines of men?
...... Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom
........ in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body;
.......... not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.'

(Col 2:16-23)
Thanks for joining us.
Does your quoted scripture give us an answer?
Or a practical application?

Oops, sorry. I overlooked your earlier post.
Will read now.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Subject heading:- 'What makes a doctrine false?'

Hello @St. SteVen,

Thought provoking, thank you. :)

* Into my mind come the words of Paul to Timothy:-

'Hold fast the form of sound words,
which thou hast heard of me,
in faith and love
which is in Christ Jesus.'

(2Ti 1:13)

* I shall give this further thought and hopefully come back.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
The first two words in that scripture stood out to me. "Hold fast..."
In my mind's eye I see a boat fastened securely to its mooring.
Keeps it from floating away. - LOL

Jesus said the Holy Spirit, which He/the Father would send would remind us of all these things.
So, we take captive every thought to make them obedient to Christ.

How do you read that scripture, or others?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two passages:

Joh 16:7-15 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. (8) And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (9)
  • of sin, because they do not believe in Me; (10)
  • of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; (11)
  • of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
(12) "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. (13) However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. (14) He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. (15) All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

1Co 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Are you implying that God uses fear to force us to follow Him?
I think that would be defined as extortion. Compliance due to a threat.

Reactions: Zachariah

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @St. SteVen

2 Timothy 1:13 & Colossians 2:16-23, that I quoted, show the way to avoid imbibing false doctrine, or at least identifying what they are. In the first, Paul tells Timothy to, 'hold fast', the form of sound words that he had heard 'of' Paul, which gives us a line of defense: and in the second, written to the Colossians we have warnings, from Paul, which enable us to identify what is false. These are just two examples.

Both 2 Timothy and Colossians, along with Ephesians and Philippians, Titus and Philemon, are the later epistles of Paul, written by him while in prison: Which contain the truth concerning the church which is the Body of Christ, of which Christ is the Head. Truth Divinely revealed to Paul alone, to make known to believers, following the failure of Israel as a nation to repent at the end of the forty year long period of the Acts of the Apostles. For it was then that salvation was 'sent' to the Gentiles, independent of Israel.

These epistles, including Romans 5:12-8:39, contain the doctrine and practical teaching by which we can measure every other doctrine presented to us, in order to ascertain whether they are 'false' or not.

All Scripture is 'for' us, but not all Scripture is 'about' us.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The alignment of our free will with Truth and morality brings us salvation. .

Jesus said that He is the Truth...... vs...... your secular humanistic idea of what truth means.

John 14:6

Also, Salvation, is to be made free from sin., by being forgiven.

Are you saying you dont have any sin, and dont need to be forgiven?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Q.) What Makes a doctrine false?

A.) There is a lie in it somewhere.

Let me show you one, reader. Let me show you a very very popular and completely false, doctrine.

1.) "water baptism washes away your sin".

See that?
There is a LIE ... that is "Cult of Mary" Doctrine. , AND...tho there truth in it, understood as....>"you must be saved, so how".

So that "false doctrine" gets only part of the Truth right..which makes the entire Doctrine a Lie.

= " washes away your sin".... Is true.. (Something does).

See that? That is true......as there is something that washes away your sin., but the LIE, is that the DOCTRINE teaches that WATER does this for you.

Why is that a lie? Its because its the shed blood of JESUS that is the "washing".

The TRUTH is......>"without the shedding of BLOOD, there is no forgiveness of SIN". And without the Shedding of Jesus's Blood there is no eternal forgiveness for your sin.

"Jesus is the ONE TIME. ETERNAL SACRIFICE for our sin".

So, do you see how the Devil took some truth and twisted it into a Doctrinal LIE = that BILLIONS of people believe.

The Devil is really good at doing that to the human race

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Q.) What Makes a doctrine false?

A.) There is a lie in it somewhere.

Let me show you one, reader. Let me show you a very very popular and completely false, doctrine.

1.) "water baptism washes away your sin".

See that?
There is a LIE ... that is "Cult of Mary" Doctrine. , AND...tho there truth in it, understood as....>"you must be saved, so how".

So that "false doctrine" gets only part of the Truth right..which makes the entire Doctrine a Lie.

= " washes away your sin".... Is true.. (Something does).

See that? That is true......as there is something that washes away your sin., but the LIE, is that the DOCTRINE teaches that WATER does this for you.

Why is that a lie? Its because its the shed blood of JESUS that is the "washing".

The TRUTH is......>"without the shedding of BLOOD, there is no forgiveness of SIN". And without the Shedding of Jesus's Blood there is no eternal forgiveness for your sin.

"Jesus is the ONE TIME. ETERNAL SACRIFICE for our sin".

So, do you see how the Devil took some truth and twisted it into a Doctrinal LIE = that BILLIONS of people believe.

The Devil is really good at doing that to the human race
I'm guessing that would be #4, or #5? (from OP)

Please quote what you would like to respond to. Thanks.

1. You've never heard it before. (knee-jerk defensive response)

2. You have heard of it before, but assume it's false. (haven't looked into it)

3. Doesn't align with your church's doctrine (your church would say it is false)

4. Doesn't align with your personal doctrine (your views differ)

5. YOUR "Bible" says it is false. (other biblical opinions don't matter)

6. It makes you uncomfortable. (therefore it must be wrong)

7. Everyone knows it's false. (except those who believe it)
Or, possibly #3 ???

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Are you implying that God uses fear to force us to follow Him?
I think that would be defined as extortion. Compliance due to a threat.
I can't see that in those verses.

Salvation. Reconciliation. Sanctification. Expectation.

Alignment with these four Gospel Messages comes through the working of the Holy Spirit, which one should make sure not to blaspheme.

Through Christ:

1. God Rescues = Salvation

2. God Forgives = Reconciliation

3. God Cleanses = Sanctification

4. God Fills with Hope = Expectation

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Alignment with these four Gospel Messages comes through the working of the Holy Spirit, which one should make sure not to blaspheme.

Through Christ:

The scripture speaks true but the main focus of this thread is more about man's alignment with truth. Tell me, what does it mean for you to blasphem the Holy Spirit. I dont ask for you to throw more scripture my way, I ask that you speak from your own understanding so we can see you for who you are and can understand where you stand in alignment with truth.

As I discussed in a earlier post we can read scripture word for word and believe it to be true. But there is a very big difference between "belief" and to "know" something. One that believes does not know, and one that knows does not believe. Knowing something comes from experience and holds the ability for one to articulate it in his own words. Belief however is blind, and this is why most people copy and past scripture all day long with no real personal input.

Last edited:
  • Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No surprise there.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? We won't agree about that either.
But I won't call yours a false doctrine. It's your doctrinal opinion. I understand.
Through Christ:

Who does God rescue?
Who does God reconcile?
Who does God sanctify?
To what is expectation limited?

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Fascinating discussion. Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed replies.

I suppose there is quite a range of alignment/nonalignment with the "Truth" of "God's law" (consciousness of morality and right).
And everyone of us find a place along that range in our thoughts and behavior over a lifetime.

How does our placement along that range of alignment affect our afterlife, in your view?
I'm a Christian Universalist. So, I completely track with your view on the religion of fear and hell.
You hit me with hard philosophical questions which I love and don't mind expressing my understandings. This is a big subject and most modern beliefs on Heaven are a misconception or what i would call a deception. True knowlage is always "knowlage of the self". "As within, so without. As without, so within. As above, so below. As below, so above." Everything in existence is merely a reflection of itself.

‘Heed these words, You who wish to probe the depths of nature: If you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither will you find it outside. In you is hidden the treasure of treasures. Know Thyself and you will know the Universe and the Gods.’

Inscription on the Greek temple at Delphi – Delphi Oracle

Heaven is but one of four realms.

Heaven is the realm of "un manifest" from which everything comes into manifestation. Nothing comes into being but by the Will of the Father through the Son. As we know Truth, we speak it through the Word of God into manifestation. As we know Truth, we act through Wisdom into manifestation. This is where Jesus gets the name "Word of God". Word of God, Wisdom, Son of God, Christ, Jesus are all words for the same thing. Through which came into being. The symboligy and words used for heaven is as follows: White light, wine, life, olive oil, doves, wind, spirit and many others. Some of which are specific to members of the trinity. Heaven can be seen as both the beginning and the end of an eternal cycle. When you witness something revolutionary and your hairs stand up all over your body, this is alchemical resserection or the proccess of water into wine. You have been glorified. This is your True Father.

Hell is the realm often related to evil and destruction. It is the ego that has been consumed by fire and wants the same suffering for everyone else. Although there is such thing as righteous anger and this is what it means when John the Baptist stated that jesus will babtise in both wind and fire. Those who are not willing to accept the Truth grow bitter and resentful and are thrown and baptised in the lake of fire, using the Pharasee for example. The words and symboligy used for Hell are as follows: fire, brimstone, wretch, anger, evil, lake of fire, Satan, Devil, Kill steal and destroy, egyptian Pharaoh and many others. It is critical that we do not relate Hell to the darkness or underworld, for fire produces light. Fire is not its own source of light however because it must burn life in order to create it. This is how we get Lucifer - The bringer of light.

Creation is the realm in which we are most familiar with because its what our five sences can pick up and perceive. It is the physicle fabrics that conceal life within. Our physicle bodies are in fact part of creation. This realm does not need much abbreviation.

Death is the realm after life on earth. We must traverse the valley of the shadow of death if we want to see God. We must go through the darkness in order to see the light. A problem never resolved itself from going around it, we must go through. In baptism we die to our old life to recieve our new. We go into the water which symbolises death and cleansing, and we rise out of it into the wind and spirit. This is also a ritual symbolising alchemical transmutation and resserection.

So to know Heaven we must understand it within ourself. Not of these realms are seperate from each other, they are all working together at the same time right now in this very moment both as a reflection internally and externaly. When we understand the nature of heaven on earth we know that it is "whole" "oneness" "perfection" "unseen". If both of us where 100% aligned with Truth and morality we would both be exactly the same. We would think, speak, act and respond to any given situation in the same way. Therefore in the realm of heaven there is no individuality. Only on earth shall we be individual for perfection is not seperate from itself.

Think of a loved one that have passed away. Somone that has done many sacrifices for you in their physicle life. Find that feeling in your heart. This is indeed Heaven and where that loved one now resides. From this life that they gave you, you also pass on to others. So it is true that the more kind deeds we do, the greater our reward in heaven. Our kind deeds start a butterfly affect of love that is eternal and flows through person to person. You are a product of all existence before you. This is Heaven among us.

Believing we have individuality when we go to heaven takes the centermental value out of life on earth. Therefore we do not cherish our life to its maximum potential, removing a sence of care and suppressing our motive to take proper action.

Last edited:
  • Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heaven is but one of four realms.
Let's explore that some more, if you don't mind.
We may be skating on thin ice here. PM me if it's too risky.
Heaven is the realm of "un manifest" from which everything comes into manifestation. Nothing comes into being but by the Will of the Father through the Son. As we know Truth, we speak it through the Word of God into manifestation. As we know Truth, we act through Wisdom into manifestation. This is where Jesus gets the name "Word of God". Word of God, Wisdom, Son of God, Christ, Jesus are all words for the same thing. Through which came into being. The symboligy and words used for heaven is as follows: White light, wine, life, olive oil, doves, wind and spirit. Some of which are specific to members of the trinity. Heaven can be seen as both the beginning and the end of an eternal cycle.
Fascinating.
I challenge the idea that the pre-incarnate Word was Jesus as we know Him.
The Word BECAME flesh. (and dwelt among us) I think the Word (Logos = logic) was the reason, the meaning for all this,
Same with the FATHER. The Son begat the Father, before the Father begat the Son. The Word (Logos) required a Son.
The Son required a Father. All this was established at the beginning. IMHO

God loves a story. He wrote one that will end well. Not the train wreck the church is selling us.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let's explore that some more, if you don't mind.
We may be skating on thin ice here. PM me if it's too risky.

Fascinating.
I challenge the idea that the pre-incarnate Word was Jesus as we know Him.
The Word BECAME flesh. (and dwelt among us) I think the Word (Logos = logic) was the reason, the meaning for all this,
Same with the FATHER. The Son begat the Father, before the Father begat the Son. The Word (Logos) required a Son.
The Son required a Father. All this was established at the beginning. IMHO

God loves a story. He wrote one that will end well. Not the train wreck the church is selling us.
Read my last post again. I had not finished when you read it.