What makes you right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all the different doctrines going around, how do you know you right and everybody else is wrong?

This is a question about scriptural debate, and all you can usually discern with much certainty is that you are closer to the truth on the issue than your opponent is. You know this when they cannot answer your questions. We see Jesus encountering this several times in the altercations He had with the Pharisees.

41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 Saying, "What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David. 43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, 44 The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? 45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? 46 And no man was able to answer him a word (Matthew 22:45-46)

3 And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day? 4 And they held their peace. And he took him, and healed him, and let him go; 5 And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day? 6 And they could not answer him again to these things. (Luke 14:3-6)

21 And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly: 22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no? 23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me? 24 Shew me a penny. Whose image and superscription hath it? They answered and said, Caesar's. 25 And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's. 26 And they could not take hold of his words before the people: and they marvelled at his answer, and held their peace. (Luke 20:21-26)

27 Then came to him certain of the Sadducees, which deny that there is any resurrection; and they asked him, 28 Saying, Master, Moses wrote unto us, If any man's brother die, having a wife, and he die without children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 29 There were therefore seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and died without children. 30 And the second took her to wife, and he died childless. 31 And the third took her; and in like manner the seven also: and they left no children, and died. 32 Last of all the woman died also. 33 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them is she? for seven had her to wife. 34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. 37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. 38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him. 39 Then certain of the scribes answering said, Master, thou hast well said. 40 And after that they durst not ask him any question at all. (Luke 20:27-40)

Now you cannot guarantee you're 100% correct just because those you are debating cannot raise a viable argument against it. But if you yourself can answer the questions they cannot, it at least demonstrates that your theology is more well thought-out than theirs is.

But here's the problem with modern Christianity in comparison with the religion practiced by the scribes, Pharisees, and Saducees: Today many, especially on forums, will "answer" you with an answer that is actually not an answer at all, but only an evasion tactic used to make it appear they have one, and there are numerous evasion tactics that are used. It has boiled my blood, and taken me some time to learn how to deal with it more maturely, because unlike with the opponents Jesus faced, these are people who do not take God's word seriously enough to not play games with it. They take saving face as a matter of far greater importance, so they use any trick in the book they can to "win" the argument. But such will answer to God for what they did with His holy word, whether they realize it or not. This is sometimes a warning I will give to those I see doing it.

In the end, you cannot guarantee you are 100% correct. You can only be assured that you are closer to the truth than those who cannot give you viable answers to the lines of questioning you present. And in the judgment, God will reward those who taught His word accurately, whether they were recognized for it in this life or not (Matthew 5:19).

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should also add that sometimes people will attempt to run you down rabbit trails, LoL. All in the "fun," I guess : )

B

brakelite

I remember vividly the day I fell on my knees before God to plead for His mercy after many years living according to the fashions and dictates of the world, neglecting wife and children in favour of self. I had promised years previously to raise my family in the faith... Major fail.
So, on my knees, I needed a fresh start. I did not want to begin where I had left off before backsliding. I needed to avoid that like the plague, or else I may just repeat the process, and be even worse off.
So I asked... Teach me from the beginning. Don't allow me to presume I know anything.
His reply came to my mind in the form of a Bible verse .. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. In other words, what He first revealed to me was Himself. Not doctrine. Not knowledge. But the beauty of who He was... Is. And my own utter helplessness in the face of that revelation. So how do I know I am right? I do not claim to be right in every detail, because I do not study the Bible to find doctrine. I study the Bible to find Him. And He reveals Himself to me through the way He dealt with His people since creation... His righteousness... Holiness.. Love... Grace... Power... Authority... Mercy... Faithfulness... Goodness... Etc etc
. I know Him. And that is enough. For as the good Shepherd He had led me these past 42 years in spite of a few years in the middle where I strayed. I am content. At peace. I started at the low seat, and He has brought me higher. I cannot boast of wisdom, h ha, certainly not riches... But I can boast
KJV Jeremiah 9
24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I remember vividly the day I fell on my knees before God to plead for His mercy after many years living according to the fashions and dictates of the world, neglecting wife and children in favour of self. I had promised years previously to raise my family in the faith... Major fail.
So, on my knees, I needed a fresh start. I did not want to begin where I had left off before backsliding. I needed to avoid that like the plague, or else I may just repeat the process, and be even worse off.
So I asked... Teach me from the beginning. Don't allow me to presume I know anything.
His reply came to my mind in the form of a Bible verse .. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. In other words, what He first revealed to me was Himself. Not doctrine. Not knowledge. But the beauty of who He was... Is. And my own utter helplessness in the face of that revelation. So how do I know I am right? I do not claim to be right in every detail, because I do not study the Bible to find doctrine. I study the Bible to find Him. And He reveals Himself to me through the way He dealt with His people since creation... His righteousness... Holiness.. Love... Grace... Power... Authority... Mercy... Faithfulness... Goodness... Etc etc
. I know Him. And that is enough. For as the good Shepherd He had led me these past 42 years in spite of a few years in the middle where I strayed. I am content. At peace. I started at the low seat, and He has brought me higher. I cannot boast of wisdom, h ha, certainly not riches... But I can boast
KJV Jeremiah 9
24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
Wonderful to be able to look back for so long and testify to the Lord's faithfulness. 1 Samuel 7.12.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Jeremiah 9

Very nice, if you wouldn’t mind me saying so, I see God in this.

Blessed are you, may He, and we know He will, continue to grow and teach you Himself.

Blessings from a fellow laborer.

Much love in Christ, Not me

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point ,somebody is wrong!!Everybody could be right and I'm wrong.How do you get to where you at,right or wrong?
I posted it earlier. Frankly, it does not matter if we are "right" or wrong. If God accepts what we believe, that is all that matters. Probably, not a single one of us has it "right." If total correctness were possible and required of us, Jesus would never have come.

Last edited:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all the different doctrines going around ,how do you know you right and everybody else is wrong?

I've been noticing times when I thought I was right but I'm in a time now of questioning all the things I believe and why.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point ,somebody is wrong!!Everybody could be right and I'm wrong.How do you get to where you at,right or wrong?

I think its as epi said. There is a balance. The arguments we see here are without the balance. You must have both poles together to have the balance.

Epi gave one example. Here is another:
Whatever you ask in My name, I will do it.

You ask and don't receive because you ask with the wrong motives.

And there are other verses that go to one or the other of these poles, like...you don't receive because you don't ask. And...but when you ask Him, be sure that your trust is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is unsettled, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what we see in arguments here are usually one unbalanced man arguing with another unbalanced man, each holding to one of the poles and neither taking both poles into account so as to be balanced.

B

brakelite

I think that what we do need to get right is our estimation of God's character. I see many doctrines held by Christians that if thought through, misrepresent His character badly. And what is so strange about that, is that those who cleave to those doctrines without the willingness to have their eyes opened, believe those doctrines accurately represent His character. They are blind, at least in that respect, to Who God is and what He is like. How can they then claim to know Him if they hold doctrines that deny Him. Some doctrines we may believe that are error, but they have no affect on our salvation, nor do they impugn the character of God. But there are some that do. Seriously. We need to know God intimately ...at least sufficiently to form wise doctrines.

Reactions: Enoch111

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all the different doctrines going around ,how do you know you right and everybody else is wrong?
For a start, what does Revelation 12:17 say God's end time church is going to look like? That one verse alone eliminates 99% of what's out there as "God's true church".

Lest you think this a statement of condemnation, perish the thought. God is clear that the message to His people that are in "Babylon" - the vast ocean of religious confusion which Revelation 12:17 identifies as such - is to "...come out of her, MY PEOPLE that ye be not partakers of her sins and receive not of her plagues." The fact that they are "MY PEOPLE" indicates that they are grace-saved, born again Christians who have God's Spirit, for "...if any man hath not the Spirit of God, he is none of His." But, when the Three Angels Message is sounded in their hearing, they will have to choose to either "come out" or remain in Babylon and be destroyed. But, Christians always "follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth."