What makes you right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think the "argument" argument is only raised when people become devoid of an answer. If they have no valid response, the reply becomes, "I don't want to argue with you any more". It was never an argument until one party fails to come up with a valid case...until then it was a discussion.

In that persons mind a robust discussion was interpreted as an argument and a threat to the current point of view to the point where my company was no longer desired.

It happens often on this forum where the word "ignore" is used to say that they no longer want your company in the thread discussion whether or not what you say is valid or not.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It happens often on this forum where the word "ignore" is used to say that they no longer want your company in the thread discussion whether or not what you say is valid or not.
More often than not, it is the delivery that is offensive rather than the information conveyed. Sometimes you just get tired of hearing a certain ‘tone’ in a discussion.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
More often than not, it is the delivery that is offensive rather than the information conveyed. Sometimes you just get tired of hearing a certain ‘tone’ in a discussion.

I suppose that was Jesus' problem in His day as well. Some loved His tone in delivery while others hated that same tone and acted as best they could to silence it.

People have to consider carefully why they hate the tone.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose that was Jesus' problem in His day as well. Some loved His tone in delivery while others hated that same tone and acted as best they could to silence it.
Jesus was perfect, I am not.
You may have just a little too high an opinion of yourself. ;)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus was perfect, I am not.
You may have just a little too high an opinion of yourself. ;)

And you are proving my point in my posted response #61 above with your response quoted. Now if you disagree with what I have posted elsewhere on this forum, then post a justified rebuttal so that we can have a discussion in that thread, this is not the thread to do so.

All you are doing above is focusing on the person, rather than commenting on the content. It is very difficult to read the feedback trigger loop where the conversation is two steps back from a face to face discussion/conversation to rightly discern what the "tone" or "triggers" might be.

Shalom ;)

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I think there is a responsibility, as a human being in the face of the words from God...to realize just how easy it is to be wrong!

Certainty can be achieved in the grossest of errors. Look how certain the Pharisees were. Look how certain the Taliban are.

The problem of certainty is especially prevalent in regards to the bible. People can take self-delusion and turn it into an art form...being very creative with error.

Then there is the nature of truth itself.

The truth is only held up as the opposing poles (even contradictory) of linear thought are held TOGETHER. The truth is not linear...it is polar. Like a magnet that creates a magnetic field.

In fact people that go looking for answers in the bible are fooled into a false understanding so often because the bible is meant to be a book of questions. But this overwhelms the shallow seeker....which it is supposed to do anyway. God has jumbled His words on purpose. To see who will pay attention.

Prov. 26:4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest you also be like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest he be wise in his own eyes.

And this is the folly of men...that if these two verses were put in different places in the bible you would have false champions of one verse over the other. But seeing that they are side by side we see that interpreting the bible is really about discernment in the moment.

But again this is too much to ask for many people.

Notice how God uses the word "fool" to show how foolish it is to think that knowing a bible verse makes you think you actually understand it.

So there is a lot of ignorance that goes into formulating doctrines from scriptures. But that never stopped anyone from being foolish enough to do it. The temptation of the human carnal mind to try championing truth (in gross error of course) is just too great for many. Pride will have it's way.

So the fact that there is a dialectic involved leads us to a searching out the polarity of the truth ...which begs the need of wisdom from God to put them together so that He might reveal the POWER of life hidden there. The connection to God is what counts...not the words themselves. People stumble over the words.

The letter of the word leads to death...but the Spirit gives life.

So they who think they are careful and right...because they know how to read and they study the bible...become the biggest fools of all...because of the pride it takes to think they understanding anything at all of God with their own mind. God withholds His truth from these.
Wait so you think people are good to go to hell because they use their mind? Or that they can't understand his word because they use their own mind?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wait so you think people are good to go to hell because they use their mind? Or that they can't understand his word because they use their own mind?

I never said anything about hell. And we are not to use our own private interpretations of the bible. That is when we try understanding something that our minds can't fathom....with our minds.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Don't take Episkopos too seriously since he makes up his own theology. Find a sound mature Christian in your neighborhood and ask him to help you understand things. There's nothing like face-to-face communication. Then find a sound Bible church in your community which has solid Gospel preaching and Bible teaching.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...because the bible is meant to be a book of questions...
Here's another doozy from Episkopos. The Bible is meant to be a book of answers, not a book of questions. Is Christ THE ANSWER or not?

It is only in the Bible that people can discover everything that is significant for this life and the life to come. So kindly stop misleading others and making up your own theology as you go along.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For me I consider that the Bible is a maintenance book on life. It tells us how we can be refurbished into the person that God desired us to be from the beginning of time.

It is no good having a maintenance book on life unless you read all of the instructions that tell you how to gain and maintain our lives in relationship with God.

It begins by picking up the book, i.e. the bible, that is in front of us, and reading it. Sometimes that book is copied into other forms of the book that have the legs to carry the same maintenance instructions.

Sadly, people often do not like the delivery in either form.

Shalom

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all the different doctrines going around ,how do you know you right and everybody else is wrong?

That's a good question. I've seen Christians get into heated debates about Scripture. I never compromise on Scripture but I have reached a point where I am re-thinking all of my previously held beliefs. We went to a church one time where the leadership said that God put them in their positions and everyone else had to listen to them. We left that church and it was one of our better decisions. I think it's healthy to question your own beliefs at times.

1 Corinthians 10:12

“Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.”

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you are proving my point in my posted response #61 above with your response quoted. Now if you disagree with what I have posted elsewhere on this forum, then post a justified rebuttal so that we can have a discussion in that thread, this is not the thread to do so.

All you are doing above is focusing on the person, rather than commenting on the content. It is very difficult to read the feedback trigger loop where the conversation is two steps back from a face to face discussion/conversation to rightly discern what the "tone" or "triggers" might be.

Shalom ;)
Greetings,
Actually I thought that I was focusing on the content of your response to my comment on THIS topic ... which was to compare yourself to Jesus as the only reason that people are offended by the tone of a post.

Reactions: David kilmer

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Greetings,
Actually I thought that I was focusing on the content of your response to my comment on THIS topic ... which was to compare yourself to Jesus as the only reason that people are offended by the tone of a post.
Hey patchellor Pat's. Dougdatbarbera! Are you at Pollard or pills?

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what we see in arguments here are usually one unbalanced man arguing with another unbalanced man, each holding to one of the poles and neither taking both poles into account so as to be balanced.

Just reading, you made me laugh so hard.
I had to log-in to tell you , how delightfully true that is. It was a genuine jewel.
Thank you :D:) don't laugh so much anymore, needed that one

Good thread..
Blessings

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all the different doctrines going around ,how do you know you right and everybody else is wrong?
It's a good question! I have two answers that come to mind.

One is, the "right" which we need to be is a state of the heart, humble and trusting the Lord. We can all be right, being a child, being open, not being high-minded as some, and loving with each other. And in any ways our doctrines disagree the Holy Spirit will lead us into unity.

The other is that the more exactly our beliefs match the exact words of Scripture when used in their normal sense as language, to that degree we can know we are right.

Much love!

Reactions: David kilmer

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
We can know we are right when Jesus changes our hearts and minds and we think alike and when the holy Spirit guides and leads us. Prayer and discipline are important, they're key. When you're changed from a sinner to light, you'll know the holy Spirit. And attending church on Saturday or Sunday helps biblical understanding, like reading the Bible with prayer. The holy Spirit brings understanding.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Just reading, you made me laugh so hard.
I had to log-in to tell you , how delightfully true that is. It was a genuine jewel.
Thank you :D:) don't laugh so much anymore, needed that one

Good thread..
Blessings
If someone is imbalanced I couldn't care less. Richard and Barbera....

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Delivery is delivery. Work is to be done for God. And many people have or had two sides or a balance one way or another whether it's respect or something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte