What part of the Bible are you studying?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what part of the Bible are you reading and studying, right now? Give me a topic and what you have learned. I am interested in insight on this thread rather than debate.

Reactions: be humble

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, for the umpteenth time, I'm simply reading thru it again. Each time gets easier and I can make it thru easily in a half year or less, plus morning and evening devotions (similar to the morning and evening sacrifice). As for what topics of the bible specifically interest me, I'd have to say prophecy like my buddy Sir Isaac Newton. But even "historical" events and stories have prophetic meaning. Right now I'm in the book of Judges and I can see similarity as to how we behave today and what the outcome will be. So even just prophecy takes me all over the bible. The feast days and study thereof fascinate me. I guess I'm interested in anything that has to do with time and space, but apparently God thinks the same way as those feasts are His prophetic forerunners (and outline) of things to come. While the bible has many stories, I believe the feasts are God's "outline" of sorts, not unlike a bullet-type outline you have at seminars, that summarize the events regarding mankind's redemption. I wish others could see the beauty in these feasts instead of claiming those like me who celebrate them are "legalists".

Reactions: Wild Olive

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your response. It would seem that your joy concerning the adherence to feasts in the OT show that you have the spirit of the law at the forefront of your mind and heart. It sounds wonderful to me.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well I waited on the lord and asked what would He have me read. and once again I got romans 6 We are not sinners.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am reading Romans, as well

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find that I go back and back ,to Luke 19.
Not so much " studying" but reading it and waiting for insight. :)
Jesus has just finished with Zacchaeus and goes into the parable of the talents..( I have never seen the connection!

11 And as they heard these things, ( re Zacchaeus) He added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.
15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.

Etc etc we know the rest of the story.
For many a year I have wondered what the talent represents. Faith, Love, The Word, etc...all would fit.. ( same as the oil in the vessel)
"God has given a measure ...to every man..." Are we investing it and gaining, or are we just happy in our "Jesus life" and end up with nothing to "give back" and lay at the Master's feet , on The Day!!
That is where I have 'been' :)

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks By Grace!

Perhaps the talent is love - we are the different instruments in the same orchestra

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
what part of the Bible are you reading and studying, right now? Give me a topic and what you have learned. I am interested in insight on this thread rather than debate.

Jn 20:31 vs Lk 18:17 - twinc

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Luke chapter 2: "
41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it;44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.”

49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them."

I wonder what Joseph said to Jesus, after 3 days of looking for him? Ouch!
And why is only Mary's response written down?

Reactions: Helen

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Reading Psalm 14, 15 and 16

Psalm 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

Psalm 15
1 LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

Psalm 16
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can only say this,

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

1Co_2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Revelation comes from God, not from reading studying church, bible college. In fact the better you know the bible the more you will fight God when He does try to teach you, as it says

Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

If you want to know Jesus. ask Him, if you want to know the bible ,read it. Your choice.

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 6 and Ephesians 2. The whole body needs this

Last edited:

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 4:

40. "When the sun was setting, all those who had any that were sick with various diseases brought them to Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them and healed them. 41. And demons also came out of many, crying out and saying, “You are the Christ, the Son of God!”

And He, rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ.

Jesus Preaches in Galilee
42. Now when it was day, He departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowd sought Him and came to Him, and tried to keep Him from leaving them; 43. but He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.” 44. And He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee."

So it seems like His main purpose was to "preach the kingdom of God". Physical and mental healing was a secondary purpose.
Let's praise the Pastors, Elders, Teachers, etc. who preach and proclaim the Good News, and not exalt the ones who claim to heal, speak in tongues, handle snakes etc.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I wonder what Joseph said to Jesus, after 3 days of looking for him? Ouch!
And why is only Mary's response written down?
my theory is because she is playing a symbolic role in the story, and thus that response had to come from a female; making the passage quite striking, i would think, to a Jew especially, as a male response would be expected there.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
my theory is because she is playing a symbolic role in the story, and thus that response had to come from a female; making the passage quite striking, i would think, to a Jew especially, as a male response would be expected there.

it goes unnoticed that Mary lies here and it is accepted here that Joseph was father to Jesus as also elsewhere that Mary had children other than Jesus - twinc

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 4:

40. "When the sun was setting, all those who had any that were sick with various diseases brought them to Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them and healed them. 41. And demons also came out of many, crying out and saying, “You are the Christ, the Son of God!”

And He, rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ.

Jesus Preaches in Galilee
42. Now when it was day, He departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowd sought Him and came to Him, and tried to keep Him from leaving them; 43. but He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.” 44. And He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee."

So it seems like His main purpose was to "preach the kingdom of God". Physical and mental healing was a secondary purpose.
Let's praise the Pastors, Elders, Teachers, etc. who preach and proclaim the Good News, and not exalt the ones who claim to heal, speak in tongues, handle snakes etc.
No He healed them ALL So that was really important to him He layed hands on EVERY ONE of them. Seems like His work was done and it was time to move on and do the same for the newxt place, So what He does for one He does for another. And the demons came out. Ya think He missed any?
I dont He got them all. So its seems to me that He work was complete. He knows how shallow men are and they only want for them selves as we find out all to soon. Dude you amazing but wierd kill Him. Casting out demons and healing the sick IS THE KINGDOM. Its returning them to a perfect body again. When did He ever preach and not heal. Never. He healed them all every where He went always.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 5, 17-25: "
17 Now it happened on a certain day, as He was teaching, that there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every town of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was present to heal them. 18 Then behold, men brought on a bed a man who was paralyzed, whom they sought to bring in and lay before Him. 19 And when they could not find how they might bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the housetop and let him down with his bed through the tiling into the midst before Jesus.

20 When He saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? 24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”

25 Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God and were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today!”

The verse: "And the power of the Lord was present to heal them". Spiritual or physical healing?
I think this shows that the Lord is primarily concerned with spiritual healing. The first thing He does is forgive the paralytic (proving that the Son of Man is God). Then physical healing.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 5, 17-25: "
17 Now it happened on a certain day, as He was teaching, that there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every town of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was present to heal them. 18 Then behold, men brought on a bed a man who was paralyzed, whom they sought to bring in and lay before Him. 19 And when they could not find how they might bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the housetop and let him down with his bed through the tiling into the midst before Jesus.

20 When He saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? 24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”

25 Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God and were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today!”

The verse: "And the power of the Lord was present to heal them". Spiritual or physical healing?
I think this shows that the Lord is primarily concerned with spiritual healing. The first thing He does is forgive the paralytic (proving that the Son of Man is God). Then physical healing.

I think His ministry proves He was concerned with both equaly. He asked them is it easier to forgive sin or to heal. which is easier?
Both the same. Preaching the Kingdom is both together. Its total restoration. The kingdom is IN US NOW.

So let me ask you what is the "kingdom of God preaced" That you are talking about?