What was the date of the Crucifixion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one will ever know for sure as it can’t be proved and it really doesn’t matter all that matters is that it happened.

If the dates were important it would be in the bible so I guess God doesn’t want us to know
The date of Christs death is in the Bible.
We can 100% prove the date of Christs death......without question. And this date, the date of His death, proves that the 70 week of Daniel is not complete, and God will keep His promise to His chosen.

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
5loaves2fishes.wixsite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Oh I have no doubt that Temple construction began in BC 20. I also have no problem agreeing that it took 46 years to build and 27 AD was the 46th year. However, what we cannot prove is the date that the quote was made.
Huh? :confused: Just add 46 yrs to BC 20 and, wallah, we've got 27 AD! Add another 3 yrs for Jesus ministry and, voila,:stageright:we've got 30 AD!

Reactions: covenantee

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Herod was renowned for his building projects and the dates are well recorded. He began the temple in BC 20 and the 46th year of construction was AD 27. Refer history books, encyclopedias, Josephus, Bible side notes and commentaries.

Yes, Bible dates ARE important.

I not disputing that what I wrote was we don’t know when the Pharisees quoted that verse it could of been two years after the completion of the temple.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can 100% prove the date of Christs death......without question. And this date, the date of His death, proves that the 70 week of Daniel is not complete, and God will keep His promise to His chosen.

So what was the date biblically?

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

His promises are to Christ, and to those in Christ, the spiritual seed of Abraham. (Galatians 3:16,28,29)

And to no others.

Reactions: Christian Gedge

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His promises are to Christ, and to those in Christ, the spiritual seed of Abraham. (Galatians 3:16,28,29)

And to no others.
Your blindness and lack of understanding as to Gods timing is evident. All in His time.

Romans 11
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
April 3, 33 AD

And we’re is that in the bible?

My point is that the actual date isn’t indisputably in the bible it’s not plainly given. Any date can be disputed due to interpretation of bible verses. If it was important and God wanted us to know He world of put a literal date in the bible.

Last edited:

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your blindness and lack of understanding as to Gods timing is evident. All in His time.

Romans 11
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Romans 11
11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I’ll stay off the Wednesday crucifixion theory for now, except to say that most AD 31 adherents share the traditional view that Jesus died on a Friday.

There is a subtle difference in method between these two dates. Our AD 30 date was, on the Hebrew calendar, 15th of Nisan, whereas our AD 33 date was 14th of Nisan. If we place the crucifixion on the next day of AD 33, it becomes Saturday and that is obviously wrong.

So, adherents of AD 33 find themselves arguing that Passover always happened on the 14th Nisan. It didn’t. Do a Wiki search and you will find that Jews place Pesach on the 15th Nisan. The Bible is the same. Yes, the lambs were slain late on the 14th, but the actual Passover meal was eaten later that evening - that is to say, early on the 15th day. The description in Exodus bears this out:

“And you shall keep (the lamb) until the fourteenth day of this month, when the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill their lambs at twilight. Then they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses in which they eat it. They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted on the fire; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it ... In this manner you shall eat it: with your belt fastened, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. And you shall eat it in haste. It is the LORD’s Passover.” (Exodus12:6-11)

So, we have a problem when it come to using Passover to prove the AD 33 date. :(
Thank you very much for this, Chris. I have not come back here (or to any forum) even to read for quite a few months now. I don't know what prompted me to do so again last night, but I'm really glad I did. I notice the argument about whether or not Jesus was crucified on the 14th or the 15th Nisan.

I agree with you, the 14th is impossible:

Exodus 12
5 Your lamb must be perfect, a male, one year old; you may take it from the sheep or from the goats.
6 You must care for it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then the whole community of Israel will kill it around sundown.

Leviticus 23
4 "'These are the LORD's appointed times, holy assemblies, which you must proclaim at their appointed time.
5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, at twilight, is a Passover offering to the LORD.
6 Then on the fifteenth day of the same month will be the festival of unleavened bread to the LORD; seven days you must eat unleavened bread.
7 On the first day there will be a holy assembly for you; you must not do any regular work.
8 You must present a gift to the LORD for seven days, and the seventh day is a holy assembly; you must not do any regular work.'"

Mark 14
12 And the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the passover, His disciples said to Him, Where do You desire that we go and prepare that You may eat the passover?
13 And He sent out two of His disciples and said to them, Go into the city, and there you shall meet a man bearing a pitcher of water. Follow him.

Luke 22
15 And He said to them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer.
16 For I say to you, I will not any more eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

Twilight / sunset of the 14th begins the 15th day (every Jewish person knows this), and Jesus ate this, His last Passover meal, with His disciples at that time (on the 15th, the first day of unleavened bread, after the sunset of the 14th):

Mark 14
12 And the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the passover, His disciples said to Him, Where do You desire that we go and prepare that You may eat the passover?
13 And He sent out two of His disciples and said to them, Go into the city, and there you shall meet a man bearing a pitcher of water. Follow him.

Mark 14
17 And in the evening He came with the Twelve.
18 And as they reclined and ate, Jesus said, Truly I say to you, One of you will betray Me, the one eating with Me.

So Jesus was not crucified at the same time that the Passover lamb was slaughtered (as some claim). How could He have eaten the slaughtered lamb with His disciples if He died on the cross at the same time as the Passover Lamb? No, the Lord was crucified on the same date that He had eaten the Passover with his disciples - the 15th of Nisan. He had been betrayed by Judas, was arrested after the meal, tried and sentenced - all on the 15th - and scripture testifies to this, leaving absolutely no doubt in Mark 14:12.

If He was crucified on the 14th, this would mean that His disciples slaughtered the Passover lamb on the evening of the previous night, just after sunset of the 13th. (Also, both Friday and Saturday would have been sabbath days when Jesus was crucified (I'm assuming 7 April was a Friday).

So thanks again for sharing this in this thread.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Still won't cut the butter.

Wait a minute. You can't claim both dates. It's either the 14th or the 15th. The Word of God says it's the 14th. Christian Gedge has been saying that it's the 15th.

Even though I posted the Word of God that shows you are without question in error you seem to be having problems with facts This seems a common theme with those professing covenant. The facts do not support what is taught. Let's post more facts.

Leviticus 23
And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.

4 These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.

5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.

So who is in error, the Word of God or Christian Gedge? What you are teaching these people is in error. That's a fact.
The Word of God says it was on the 15th in Mark 14:12.

Mark 14

Exodus 12
5 Your lamb must be perfect, a male, one year old; you may take it from the sheep or from the goats.
6 You must care for it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then the whole community of Israel will kill it around sundown.

Leviticus 23
4 "'These are the LORD's appointed times, holy assemblies, which you must proclaim at their appointed time.
5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, at twilight, is a Passover offering to the LORD.
6 Then on the fifteenth day of the same month will be the festival of unleavened bread to the LORD; seven days you must eat unleavened bread.
7 On the first day there will be a holy assembly for you; you must not do any regular work.

Mark 14

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It matters because it affects our count of Daniels 70 weeks. Entire prophetic systems stand or fall on correct timing of that prophecy.
Matthew 24:36
The Day and Hour Unknown
“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 11
11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
Romans 2
28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you, the 14th is impossible:

Exodus 12

Leviticus 23
8 You must present a gift to the LORD for seven days, and the seventh day is a holy assembly; you must not do any regular work.'"

Mark 14

Luke 22
15 And He said to them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer.
16 For I say to you, I will not any more eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

Twilight / sunset of the 14th begins the 15th day (every Jewish person knows this), and Jesus ate this, His last Passover meal, with His disciples at that time (on the 15th, the first day of unleavened bread, after the sunset of the 14th):

Mark 14

Mark 14
17 And in the evening He came with the Twelve.
18 And as they reclined and ate, Jesus said, Truly I say to you, One of you will betray Me, the one eating with Me.

So Jesus was not crucified at the same time that the Passover lamb was slaughtered (as some claim). How could He have eaten the slaughtered lamb with His disciples if He died on the cross at the same time as the Passover Lamb? No, the Lord was crucified on the same date that He had eaten the Passover with his disciples - the 15th of Nisan. He had been betrayed by Judas, was arrested after the meal, tried and sentenced - all on the 15th - and scripture testifies to this, leaving absolutely no doubt in Mark 14:12.

If He was crucified on the 14th, this would mean that His disciples slaughtered the Passover lamb on the evening of the previous night, just after sunset of the 13th. (Also, both Friday and Saturday would have been sabbath days when Jesus was crucified (I'm assuming 7 April was a Friday).

So thanks again for sharing this in this thread.
Ok. Awesome post. One correction. The Jewish day does not begin at twilight or sunset it begins at nightfall.
That said. There is no way that I can think of that Jesus could have eaten the Passover meal and then been killed on Passover. It's been a while since things didn't fit together perfectly for me, so this is going to be interesting.

Consider this:
Luke 3
1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,

2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

It looks to me as if John the Baptist began his ministry in 29 AD. If Jesus taught for 3 and half years how can Jesus die in 30 AD?

Things don't add up. Thoughts.

Last edited: