What was the date of the Crucifixion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
5loaves2fishes.wixsite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This continues from my previous thread, ‘Daniels 70-Weeks Timeline.’ It is related, but unfortunately there is not unanimous agreement about the date of the crucifixion. Experts differ from approximately AD27 to AD36 as to when the cross happened and followers say it doesn't matter much anyway. It does matter because it affects our count of weeks. Entire prophetic systems stand or fall on correct timing as it concerns the chronology of the cross.

So when? Exactly when was the Cross?

Let me give a bit of background to this issue. A couple of centuries ago Bible dates all followed the calculations made by Bishop Ussher (Annals of the World, AD1658) His date for the crucifixion was AD33 and commentaries followed his dates without much question. Sir Robert Anderson took it to the next level with his 360-day calendar (The Coming Prince, AD 1895) and his theory was picked up by Cyrus Schofield who spread it far and wide in his Bible notes.

However from the mid 20th century onwards Bible scholars have been questioning the AD33 crucifixion date. Most have concluded that it should be 7 April AD30 and there are very good arguments for that. For example, have a look at the NIV and the ESV study Bibles. They support the early date. So do secular encyclopedias.

To start with, here is a diagram: I hope to go through these arrow points one by one.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most have concluded that it should be 7 April AD30 and there are very good arguments for that.
I would agree that Nisan 14, AD 30 was the date of the crucifixion of Christ. If that translates into April 7, well and good.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The acclamation of Jesus as King of Israel, His trial and Crucifixion and His resurrection, all occurred circa March/April 30 AD.
Proved by how that year was exactly 4000 years since Adam.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you are busy, but I would like to see WHY you think that Jesus died in 30 AD. I don't think that you can scripturally support this date.

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The first evidence for an AD30 crucifixion is based on Old Testament description of Passover. Jesus was crucified on Passover (full moon) and that is a big clue to finding the date because lunar phases can be found with great accuracy. Israel had a luni-solar calendar. When we study the lunar phases between AD26 to AD36, it could only have happened on 7th April AD 30 or 3rd April, AD 33.

Before we look at why AD 30 is the best choice I would just like to comment on the preferred date of the Adventist movement who have been quite influential in putting forward the year AD31. It is not possible because in that year the Passover lamb would have been killed on a Tuesday. @Breaklite you need to get your head around this bro.

One more thing about Passover and how it affects the AD33 date - coming up.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first evidence for an AD30 crucifixion is based on Old Testament description of Passover. Jesus was crucified on Passover (full moon) and that is a big clue to finding the date because lunar phases can be found with great accuracy. Israel had a luni-solar calendar. When we study the lunar phases between AD26 to AD36, it could only have happened on 7th April AD 30 or 3rd April, AD 33.

Before we look at why AD 30 is the best choice I would just like to comment on the preferred date of the Adventist movement who have been quite influential in putting forward the year AD31. It is not possible because in that year the Passover lamb would have been killed on a Tuesday. @Breaklite you need to get your head around this bro.

One more thing about Passover and how it affects the AD33 date - coming up.
I agree it can only be 7th April AD 30 or 3rd April, AD 33.

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The precise date of Christ's crucifixion was Wednesday, Apr. 25, 31 A.D.

I’ll stay off the Wednesday crucifixion theory for now, except to say that most AD 31 adherents share the traditional view that Jesus died on a Friday.
I agree it can only be 7th April AD 30 or 3rd April, AD 33.

There is a subtle difference in method between these two dates. Our AD 30 date was, on the Hebrew calendar, 15th of Nisan, whereas our AD 33 date was 14th of Nisan. If we place the crucifixion on the next day of AD 33, it becomes Saturday and that is obviously wrong.

So, adherents of AD 33 find themselves arguing that Passover always happened on the 14th Nisan. It didn’t. Do a Wiki search and you will find that Jews place Pesach on the 15th Nisan. The Bible is the same. Yes, the lambs were slain late on the 14th, but the actual Passover meal was eaten later that evening - that is to say, early on the 15th day. The description in Exodus bears this out:

“And you shall keep (the lamb) until the fourteenth day of this month, when the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill their lambs at twilight. Then they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses in which they eat it. They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted on the fire; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it ... In this manner you shall eat it: with your belt fastened, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. And you shall eat it in haste. It is the LORD’s Passover.” (Exodus12:6-11)

So, we have a problem when it come to using Passover to prove the AD 33 date. :(

Reactions: Zao is life

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:)
I’ll stay off the Wednesday crucifixion theory for now, except to say that most AD 31 adherents share the traditional view that Jesus died on a Friday.
I don't suspect this date can be proven. In fact, I already know it can't.

There is a subtle difference in method between these two dates. Our AD 30 date was, on the Hebrew calendar, 15th of Nisan, whereas our AD 33 date was 14th of Nisan. If we place the crucifixion on the next day of AD 33, it becomes Saturday and that is obviously wrong.

So, adherents of AD 33 find themselves arguing that Passover always happened on the 14th Nisan. It didn’t. Do a Wiki search and you will find that Jews place Pesach on the 15th Nisan. The Bible is the same. Yes, the lambs were slain late on the 14th, but the actual Passover meal was eaten later that evening - that is to say, early on the 15th day. The description in Exodus bears this out:

“And you shall keep (the lamb) until the fourteenth day of this month, when the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill their lambs at twilight. Then they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses in which they eat it. They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted on the fire; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it ... In this manner you shall eat it: with your belt fastened, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. And you shall eat it in haste. It is the LORD’s Passover.” (Exodus12:6-11)

I believe what you are saying is in error. You say "adherents of AD 33 find themselves arguing that Passover always happened on the 14th Nisan. It didn’t."

Well, I would say those that adhere to a Passover on the 14th of Nissan are correct, as can be proven by the Word. Yes, you are correct that the Passover lamb was slain on the 14th and you are correct that the actual date that of the Passover meal was the 15th. However, the Passover itself would be the considered the 14th. Our proof can be found in the Word of God.

Numbers 3:3 And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians.

In Numbers 3 we see that they departed on the 15th of Nisan on the MORROW after the Passover. That puts the Passover on the 14th.​
So, we have a problem when it come to using Passover to prove the AD 33 date. :(

Problem solved. We have no issue using the Passover 14th of Nissan to prove the AD 33 date.:)

What else do you have that might prove that Jesus died in 30 AD?

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In Numbers 3 we see that they departed on the 15th of Nisan on the MORROW after the Passover. That puts the Passover on the 14th.
It is recounting the passing of the death angel at midnight. (Exodus 12:29) Bear in mind that the Hebrew day began and ended late twilight. (approx 7 pm) So, the lambs were killed in the late afternoon 14th Nisan, then the day switched to 15th Nisan. Then the firstborn of the Egyptians were struck down at midnight. (still 15th Nisan) Then at daybreak (still 15th Nisan) all Israel marched out. The "morrow" you have highlighted is simply referring to morning after the meal. But both were stages of the 15th day.

Problem solved. We have no issue using the Passover 14th of Nissan to prove the AD 33 date.
You have an issue alright. Your AD 33 teachers incorrectly use the 14th of Nisan to plot the crucifixion date. Please see my paper here:

Last edited:

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This continues from my previous thread, ‘Daniels 70-Weeks Timeline.’ It is related, but unfortunately there is not unanimous agreement about the date of the crucifixion. Experts differ from approximately AD27 to AD36 as to when the cross happened and followers say it doesn't matter much anyway. It does matter because it affects our count of weeks. Entire prophetic systems stand or fall on correct timing as it concerns the chronology of the cross.

So when? Exactly when was the Cross?

Let me give a bit of background to this issue. A couple of centuries ago Bible dates all followed the calculations made by Bishop Ussher (Annals of the World, AD1658) His date for the crucifixion was AD33 and commentaries followed his dates without much question. Sir Robert Anderson took it to the next level with his 360-day calendar (The Coming Prince, AD 1895) and his theory was picked up by Cyrus Schofield who spread it far and wide in his Bible notes.

However from the mid 20th century onwards Bible scholars have been questioning the AD33 crucifixion date. Most have concluded that it should be 7 April AD30 and there are very good arguments for that. For example, have a look at the NIV and the ESV study Bibles. They support the early date. So do secular encyclopedias.

To start with, here is a diagram: I hope to go through these arrow points one by one.

We can speculate but if the bible doesn’t give a date then it really doesn’t matter all that really matters is that it happened.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is recounting the passing of the death angel at midnight. (Exodus 12:29) Bear in mind that the Hebrew day began and ended at twilight. (approx 6 pm) So, the lambs were killed in the late afternoon 14th Nisan, then at 6 pm the day switched to 15th Nisan. Then the firstborn of the Egyptians were struck down at midnight. (still 15th Nisan) Then at daybreak (still 15th Nisan) all Israel marched out. The "morrow" you have highlighted is simply referring to morning after the meal. But both were stages of the 15th day.
You seem to be in error again. The Hebrew day does not begin and end at twilight. The Passover lambs are killed at twilight. The Hebrew day begins and ends at nightfall.

Additionally, the "morrow" means, the next day. That's a fact. The Word tells us on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover.
You seem to be having a little problem with facts it appears. There's no question what is being said. The 15th is the next day AFTER the Passover. The only question is "are you going to the deny the truth of the Scripture?

You have an issue alright. Your AD 33 teachers incorrectly use the 14th of Nisan to plot the crucifixion date. Please see my paper here:
I have no teacher, save one, brother. Do you have any other evidence that our Lord died in 30 AD? Also, your teachers must be disappointed with all the errors you are making.

Reactions: EclipseEventSigns

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You seem to be in error again. The Hebrew day does not begin and end at twilight. The Passover lambs are killed at twilight. The Hebrew day begins and ends at nightfall.
:Ohpleze:I'll edit my post to late twilight.

You seem to be having a little problem with facts it appears. There's no question what is being said. The 15th is the next day AFTER the Passover. The only question is "are you going to the deny the truth of the Scripture?
The Passover was (by definition) when the angel of death *passed over* those with blood on their door posts. That happened at midnight of the 15th Nisan and they all marched out at dawn, later on the 15th as our Numbers scripture says. So, Passover began late on the 14th and continued into the 15th Nisan. Your AD 33 date wrongly places the crucifixion on the 14th.

Last edited:

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:Ohpleze:I'll edit my post to late twilight.
Still won't cut the butter.

The Passover was (by definition) when the angel of death *passed over* those with blood on their door posts. That happened at midnight of the 15th Nisan and they all marched out at dawn, later on the 15th as our Numbers scripture says. So, Passover began late on the 14th and continued into the 15th Nisan. Your AD 33 date wrongly places the crucifixion on the 14th.

Wait a minute. You can't claim both dates. It's either the 14th or the 15th. The Word of God says it's the 14th. Christian Gedge has been saying that it's the 15th.

Even though I posted the Word of God that shows you are without question in error you seem to be having problems with facts This seems a common theme with those professing covenant. The facts do not support what is taught. Let's post more facts.

Leviticus 23
And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.

4 These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.

5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.

So who is in error, the Word of God or Christian Gedge? What you are teaching these people is in error. That's a fact.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What verse is that?
We'll get there. Right now Chris is attempting to prove that Jesus died in 30 AD, which he won't be able to do. Instead of proving that Jesus died in 30 AD like I asked he is attempting to prove that Jesus did not die in 33 AD. He won't be able to do that either as the Word of God is inerrant. Let's see what he can come up with.