What will YOU be doing on Feb.14th?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eccl.12:13

Aug 28, 2010

Satan’s sphere of influence never ceases to amaze me!

People have 365 days a year to show loved ones they are appreciated, but they wait until the day of a past pagan holiday to show it! Their love and affection culminates on this one day; the same day pagans used to worship their gods!!

February 14[sup]th[/sup]!!!

How can Christians justify keeping this pagan holiday?

Did you know that centuries before Christ, the pagan Romans celebrated February 15 and the evening of February 14 as an idolatrous and sensuous festival in honor of Lupercus, the "hunter of wolves"?

The Romans called the festival the Lupercalia. The custom of exchanging valentines and all the other traditions in honor of Lupercus - the deified hero-hunter of Rome - was also linked anciently with the pagan practice of teenagers "going steady." It usually led to fornication. Today, the custom of teenagers dating only one person on a regular basis is thought very modern. It isn't. It is merely a rebirth of an old custom "handed down from the Roman festival of the Lupercalia, celebrated in the month of February, when names of young women were put into a box and drawn out by men as chance directed." That's the admission of the Encyclopedia Americana article entitled St. Valentine's Day.

When Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire there was some talk in church circles of discarding this pagan free-for-all. But the Roman citizens wouldn't hear of it! So it was agreed that the holiday would continue as it was, except for the more grossly sensual observances.

It was not until the reign of Pope Gelasius that the holiday became a Christian custom:

"As far back as 496 A.D., Pope Gelasius changed Lupercalia on February 15 to St. Valentine's Day on February 14." (page 172 of Customs and Holidays Around the World by Lavinia Dobler).

How is this justified against the word of God?

Deuteronomy 18:9-14
9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
14 For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Ephesians 5:11-12
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

3 John 1:11
11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God

1 Corinthians 10:21
21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

2 Corinthians 6:14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

1 John 5:21
21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Valentine’s Day is no longer part of the official liturgical calendar of any Christian church; it was dropped from the Catholic calendar in 1969. It’s not a feast, a celebration, or a memorial of any martyrs. A return to more pagan-like celebrations of February 14th is not surprising — and neither is the overall commercialization of the day. Millions of people all over the world celebrate Valentine’s Day in one fashion or another, but it’s unlikely that even one of them celebrates it in an even remotely religious manner, not that it ever was.

Yet another gift from the woman that sits on many waters;

"For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies."

What will you be doing on Feb. 14[sup]th[/sup]?

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Valentine’s Day is no longer part of the official liturgical calendar of any Christian church; it was dropped from the Catholic calendar in 1969. It’s not a feast, a celebration, or a memorial of any martyrs. A return to more pagan-like celebrations of February 14th is not surprising — and neither is the overall commercialization of the day. Millions of people all over the world celebrate Valentine’s Day in one fashion or another, but it’s unlikely that even one of them celebrates it in an even remotely religious manner, not that it ever was.

Yet another gift from the woman that sits on many waters;

"For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies."

What will you be doing on Feb. 14th?

Fornicating?

When the bible tells us that "all" are fornicating then it stands to reason we're all probably going to end up fornicating. Shouldn't we look at the bright side though? At least it isn't part of the liturgy of Christian churches anymore so that's progress, isn't it?

I can tell you what I won't be doing on Feb. 14. I won't be eating candy, or chocolate, or any other sugary convection. These are all just socially acceptable drugs as addictive as heroin and just as deadly.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you know what i find funny? every day is the Lord's day and the devil cannot create anything but just twist what God has already created. so originally this feb 14th was not a pagan holiday but God's day and the devil just twisted it from its original meaning. so shouldn't we as christians do something to turn that day back to God. why should we run scared because satan took that day and perverted it. why don't we take it back and sanctify it again?

God bless

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
you know what i find funny? every day is the Lord's day and the devil cannot create anything but just twist what God has already created. so originally this feb 14th was not a pagan holiday but God's day and the devil just twisted it from its original meaning. so shouldn't we as christians do something to turn that day back to God. why should we run scared because satan took that day and perverted it. why don't we take it back and sanctify it again?

God bless
I think one of the most common misconceptions we as Christians make is to presume that we can sanctify anything. Only God can make anything holy. Only God can sanctify anything. We are sanctified by the power of God's Spirit, and that is what allows us to properly utilize the times and days we've been given. Every day is not the Lord's day. God created six days for work which are just as important as the one day he created for rest. The only day He sanctified was the day he created for rest. God didn't sanctify any of the six days meant for working, from this we can see that rest has been sanctified by God while work hasn't. Therefore blow off false work, and Slack Off.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
shnarkle said:
I think one of the most common misconceptions we as Christians make is to presume that we can sanctify anything. Only God can make anything holy. Only God can sanctify anything. We are sanctified by the power of God's Spirit, and that is what allows us to properly utilize the times and days we've been given. Every day is not the Lord's day. God created six days for work which are just as important as the one day he created for rest. The only day He sanctified was the day he created for rest. God didn't sanctify any of the six days meant for working, from this we can see that rest has been sanctified by God while work hasn't. Therefore blow off false work, and Slack Off.
i suppose you already know that sunday was a time to reflect back upon what God had done during the week for them correct. which is why it was referred to as holy because it was intended for God. but it was not that way from the beginning. we were to walk with God all the time. ex adam walk with God in the cool of the evenings. every day was meant to be holy. Jesus tells us to be holy and righteous just as He is. are you going to say Jesus was only holy and righteous on sunday? everything God does is holy and righteous and you say that 6 of the 7 days are not holy and righteous? if they are holy and righteous then they are sanctified. we are sanctified by truth, the blood, the Word, Spirit, and ect. we are sanctified many ways so don't assume but know that everything created by God is sanctified, holy, and righteous. the only sad thing is that the devil twists these things for his use and cause they sanctified, holy, and righteous things to be unsactified, unholy, and unrighteous.

God bless

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning the Sabbath... Just in case there is any doubt:

Mark 2:27 KJV
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Now concerning Valentines day. In 2017 I intend to go to work as it is Tuesday. I work on Tuesday. I will then come home and hang out and love my wife unless I have to work my se ond job. Then I will have to wait to come home to my wife.

I might even bring her home a present, but it won't be because its valentines day.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, to answer the title of the thread.... Nothing, I will be doing absolutely nothing! With it being a Tuesday, I will go to work as well, come home, and stare blankly at a wall until bed time. (I save money being single...) :D LOL