Whatever happened to the simple Gospel message on salvation and heaven and hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So should we instead go back and follow the lead of the Levite in Judges who was a priest in Ephraim until he was successfully propositioned by the tribe of Dan?
Not sure what you mean by this. When Jesus sent out the 12 and the 70 there was a specific objective -- ministry to Israel and proclamation of the Gospel of the Kingdom.

However, before Christ ascended He left this word: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Acts 16:15,16)

So any evangelist or preacher has an obligation to let his hearers know the consequences of failure to believe the Gospel. Which means that Hell must be clearly presented.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by this. When Jesus sent out the 12 and the 70 there was a specific objective -- ministry to Israel and proclamation of the Gospel of the Kingdom.

However, before Christ ascended He left this word: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Acts 16:15,16)

So any evangelist or preacher has an obligation to let his hearers know the consequences of failure to believe the Gospel. Which means that Hell must be clearly presented.
I did not mention hell at all. My question was about these words in your post. Please clarify your meaning:

What happened during the earthly ministry of Christ cannot be used as an example of what should be preached today.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I cannot believe you said that!!
Well Revelation was not written down when Jesus sent out the 12 or the 70. Neither the epistles.

So what was known by the disciples prior to the resurrection was quite different from what was known after. It was only after the resurrection that Christ gave His apostles the gift of the Holy Spirit and then expounded to them everything concerning Himself in the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible).

And now that we have a complete Bible, no Christian has any excuse to dodge or suppress any Bible truth. What you have been suggesting all along is that Heaven and Hell have no connection to the Gospel. Well even John 3:16 refutes that!

How would you explain "should not perish" to an unbeliever?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but you have demonstrated that you do not even understand what Word is,
And you have demonstrated that you cannot keep your word, since you failed to present the Gospel as you understand it.

If you think that the Gospel of Thomas is Scripture and should even be referenced by Christians, you have no understanding of the true Gospel. The Gospel of Thomas is a heretical Gnostic creation.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of today's church leaders are saying, "our church is big enough for homosexuals, pro-abortion, same-sex marriage, liberals even communists, all are welcome to join us. But do you condone their sin and sinful lifestyles as we see in many churches today? Yes, all sinners should be welcome in church but a good church will warn about the high cost of sin not condone sin. The sinner needs to be warned The wages of sin is death and hell. Sinners need to be told that their only hope is to confess, repent and choose to believe in and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
And you have demonstrated that you cannot keep your word, since you failed to present the Gospel as you understand it.
ok i'm only saying this bc you are perhaps truly not understanding how duplicitous you are, and might really believe that you fulfilled the conditions i mentioned, rather than taking the opportunity as another preaching moment, ok. You did not answer my question, but rather chose to pretend you did not understand me or something, so you could give another lecture; i think you veered off into some yack about the Gospel of Mark or something?

So you maybe want to go back to that post and try again perhaps. And since i already know that is the last thing you want to do, i wish you the best ok?

If you are a frustrated preacher, why not just go get ordained and get paid for it?
Gospel of Thomas
ah, i meant the one that is referenced by Paul, not the G of Thomas i guess. But still not in the Bible. Google is not cooperating at the moment, sorry. I notice you don't have any snappy comebacks for the other ones though, huh? Why don't you tell us all about Jannes and Jambres, being as how that is Scripture too

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What you have been suggesting all along is that Heaven and Hell have no connection to the Gospel.
and she is right on that account. You cannot even Quote "hell," except in English of course, and just like Word, you don't have any idea where the concept of "hell" even came from. It certainly is not in Hades (a Greek god, btw) mythology. What is Greek Mythology doing in your Scripture anyway, do you think? Tartarus (another Greek god) is as close as you can get, and ppl don't go there anyway right

so where did "hell" even come from?
Your Messianic Jew friends know, why not ask them?
"shalom"

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
so, here is an incomplete list, but the Book i had in mind is not there either. i'm trying to remember if it was Jesus or Paul who referenced it, and it was maybe an Epistle or something other than a "Gospel." I've pulled it up about ten or twenty times on Google, but for whatever reason i can't now. it'll prolly come to me in bed, that's usually how it works
http://www.answering-christianity.com/lost_books.htm

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and she is right on that account. You cannot even Quote "hell," except in English of course, and just like Word, you don't have any idea where the concept of "hell" even came from. It certainly is not in Hades (a Greek god, btw) mythology. What is Greek Mythology doing in your Scripture anyway, do you think? Tartarus (another Greek god) is as close as you can get, and ppl don't go there anyway right

so where did "hell" even come from?
Your Messianic Jew friends know, why not ask them?
"shalom"

Agree!

But I guess that would be classed as " off topic" as it is a whole other ball game for some....or would it be! :D

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
if ya can't Quote it, just make it up!
are you Pentecostal bac?

Ha! Hey watch it in throwing that slur around... it almost hit me..

Or is there a difference between Pentecostal and Charismatic?

But I am like you...I hate being boxed into a ''name" or denomination.
That is why I like :-
"Believing believer "

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Believing believer "
"Ha! Hey watch it in throwing that slur around... it almost hit me.." <----Ahahahaha!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Believing believer "
Are you a denominationalist?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you a denominationalist?

I doubt it...I am not mainline or fundamental.
So what actually is a denominationist ?
I don't know.

Charismatic by experience, but if they are a denomination...then no.

And if denominationalist means belonging to some church denomination....then NO!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of today's church leaders are saying, "our church is big enough for homosexuals, pro-abortion, same-sex marriage, liberals even communists, all are welcome to join us. But do you condone their sin and sinful lifestyles as we see in many churches today? Yes, all sinners should be welcome in church but a good church will warn about the high cost of sin not condone sin. The sinner needs to be warned The wages of sin is death and hell. Sinners need to be told that their only hope is to confess, repent and choose to believe in and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

I don’t condone your lying or judgmental attitude towards your neighbors either, but you are welcome to come to my church.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is Greek Mythology doing in your Scripture anyway, do you think?
What is Gnosticism doing in your theology?

Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus are all there in Scripture, and they have nothing to do with Greek mythology.

Reactions: Dcopymope

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt it...I am not mainline or fundamental.
So what actually is a denominationist ?
I don't know.

Charismatic by experience, but if they are a denomination...then no.

And if denominationalist means belonging to some church denomination....then NO!

Awesoneness. I belong to -Church Without RELIGION. :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awesoneness. I belong to -Church Without RELIGION. :)

How?

I can’t speak Englaih without languge ........religion is the language we use to relate to God