When Is It Time To Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Guess you wouldn't trust the wisest man to have lived. Ecclesiastes 7 wouldn't fit well within a peaches and creme theology.
peaches and cream lol, when i'm suggesting that if one yearns for death then they should start acting like it? hmm

and i would contemplate
Ecclesiastes 7:1 Lexicon: A good name is better than a good ointment, And the day of one's death is better than the day of one's birth.

a bit differently than that, fwiw. I totally agree that the day of your death is better than the day of your birth from a certain perspective, but i seriously doubt that Solomon was advising ppl to commit suicide there or anything

imo Solomon is likely using a double entendre @ "death" to confuse the unwary

you might go seek Witnesses for your pov, and i'll go retrieve the Witnesses for mine, if you like

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
peaches and cream lol, when i'm suggesting that if one yearns for death then they should start acting like it? hmm

and i would contemplate
Ecclesiastes 7:1 Lexicon: A good name is better than a good ointment, And the day of one's death is better than the day of one's birth.

a bit differently than that, fwiw. I totally agree that the day of your death is better than the day of your birth from a certain perspective, but i seriously doubt that Solomon was advising ppl to commit suicide there or anything

imo Solomon is likely using a double entendre @ "death" to confuse the unwary

you might go seek Witnesses for your pov, and i'll go retrieve the Witnesses for mine, if you like

I dont think anyone is advocating suicide.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I dont think anyone is advocating suicide.
then apply another term--"looking forward to their death" maybe--but imo the end result is the same? i think i can bolster my arg @
by examining this "good name" thing, too; imo Solomon is speaking to a worldly perspective here. We can examine the handling of "reputation" in Scripture for more, i'll post a link, but this should be ringing some bells already, imo,
"... But made himself of no reputation," etc

Bible Search: reputation

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
imo if you are looking forward to your death, no matter what your age, you must then have some complaints, right?
Life is by definition not more abundant for you. The only--and much more scary, to me--alt would be that you have imagined some better "life" after you have died, like those who so boldly misquote Paul @ 2Cor 5:8, omitting v9.

fwiw i suggest that it is usually both; and that the two always go together imo

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
imo if you are looking forward to your death, no matter what your age, you must then have some complaints, right?
Life is by definition not more abundant for you. The only--and much more scary, to me--alt would be that you have imagined some better "life" after you have died, like those who so boldly misquote Paul @ 2Cor 5:8, omitting v9.

fwiw i suggest that it is usually both; and that the two always go together imo

I don't see it as negatively as that.
To me it is more like a case of someone reading love letters for years and enjoying the long distant correspondence ..and then knowing that soon they will be face to face...hearing the words from his mouth not from paper.
Not so much as wishing away life, but a longing for the real thing.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i'm not 85 yet, don't get me wrong here ok; but all of the Scripture i can find has ppl seeking longer life, not shorter?

:)
WOW ! Groper Your older then me ???? I am going to be 83 in June.

THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL GOOD............. :) :):D;)

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe some one took one of my post the wrong way ?
I keep mentioning I want to go home!
When I was C.C. I always felt I was going to hell..... because of some of my thoughts and
the teaching I had....... I did not want to die.. I felt I was going to hell......
Now being saved , I know I am going to HEAVEN ! and I cant wait the sooner the better.
And some times I talk and write some thing other then what I am thinking.
Maybe old age, is turning my ideas and thoughts all around , when I try to explain things. ??

Reactions: tabletalk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I don't see it as negatively as that.
To me it is more like a case of someone reading love letters for years and enjoying the long distant correspondence ..and then knowing that soon they will be face to face...hearing the words from his mouth not from paper.
Not so much as wishing away life, but a longing for the real thing.
ya, i get you. As i mentioned, i'm only too empathetic to the perspective; i'm just pretty well down a road of having formed a different opinion at what "face to face" means there. Doesn't mean i'm right though

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
:)
WOW ! Groper Your older then me ???? I am going to be 83 in June.

THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL GOOD............. :) :):D;)
ha no, i'm sorry, i'm like 55 or something...56 now. And i guess i'm trying to judge the perspective of our elderly, first-world elderly, based upon the lives of third-world elderly, who seem much more fulfilled. Imo what we do to the elderly and family units in general is a crime, but that is neither here nor there i guess. I just see this as a kind of judgement, even as i share the perspective.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
.and then knowing that soon they will be face to face
Oh gosh, He used this exact thing to show me about the difference between reading all about Him and being face to face.....Also how many don't want to go past the reading stage?......I guess if people want to wait until after leaving here, that's their business, I just don't like it when they scoff and ridicule those who have been blessed by His presence, in whatever form...:)

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh gosh, He used this exact thing to show me about the difference between reading all about Him and being face to face.....Also how many don't want to go past the reading stage?......I guess if people want to wait until after leaving here, that's their business, I just don't like it when they scoff and ridicule those who have been blessed by His presence, in whatever form...:)

From 1Corinthians 13:
10. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. (added bold type)

From 2Corinthians 5: 7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.

You are claiming that something happened to you which, according to Scripture, will not happen until a Christian dies. You have no need of saving faith.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ou are claiming that something happened to you which, according to Scripture, will not happen until a Christian dies. You have no need of saving faith
Rubbish.......just goes to show that you simply do not know what you are saying....If you will only listen to what the bible quotes, it says somewhere ( you can look it up) that Jesus will reveal Himself to anyone he pleases, He showed Himself after His death to His disciples, to Thomas and to other people...He is the same yesterday, TODAY and tomorrow....so if He could do it then, why do you suppose that He cannot do it now ?

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From 1Corinthians 13:
10. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. (added bold type)

From 2Corinthians 5: 7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.

You are claiming that something happened to you which, according to Scripture, will not happen until a Christian dies. You have no need of saving faith.
What you are saying is not in scripture at least not with regard to natural death for believing people today. The face to face will happen "then", but the verse you posted does not spell out the "when" of that "then" as being after natural death. The "then" of I Cor 13:12 will happen when, as I believe it, a person has overcome all that needs to be overcome according to God. That certainly can happen prior to natural death. The limitation is not in God, but in each one of us:

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

Reactions: pia and Helen

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You have no need of saving faith.
So are you also saying that Jesus' disciples did not have saving faith either ? Since they got to see Him after His resurrection ? You should try to gain understanding of this.......

Reactions: Helen

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you also saying that Jesus' disciples did not have saving faith either ? Since they got to see Him after His resurrection ? You should try to gain understanding of this.......

I don't know if the disciples needed 'saving faith', so I'm not going to 'try to gain understanding of this' as you suggest above.
As far as I can tell from the Scriptures, no one talked "person to person" to Jesus after His ascension. (maybe John in the book of Revelation?)
So, from then on, salvation is by grace through faith in Christ. And the Scriptures teach that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. From 2Corinthians 4: 18.... "while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
So, a person like me, with no status in the Church of God and no special talents, etc. , must 'walk by faith, not by sight' .
Now, you have interacted personally with a man you (and he) call Jesus. Right? At least 7 times in your life, I think you said. And these meetings are not 'visions', but actual discussions face to face, a flesh and bone person?
Since you have said that your Jesus is your final and highest authority, and his words to you are above the Scriptures in authority, I reject the god you proclaim. Scripture is the final authority.
You also seem to reject the gathering of God's people, the assembly of God, the Church.
I do think you'd be a wonderful neighbor to have, you are honest and straightforward. But we don't have unity of the Spirit, as far as I can tell.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since you have said that your Jesus is your final and highest authority, and his words to you are above the Scriptures in authority, I reject the god you proclaim. Scripture is the final authority.
Yes we know you have you said that before.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Guess you never heard the knock.

Reactions: amadeus

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ve.
As far as I can tell from the Scriptures, no one talked "person to person" to Jesus after His ascension
This is really what people believe isn't it ? Astonishing ! And yet millions will speak to dead saints and to Mary, and claim to see her everywhere, and no one thinks that's off ?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This is really what people believe isn't it ? Astonishing ! And yet millions will speak to dead saints and to Mary, and claim to see her everywhere, and no one thinks that's off ?
ya, sure seems like a whole lotta "believers" going around with no relationship at all with Christ huh.

Sure seems like "Jesus is God, i am just a worm, (yet) Jesus is still coming back someday, tomorrow, to save me, again" all seem to encourage imo