When Is It Time To Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
People who hate his appearing do so because it marks the end of their own life.
i'm not sure how to reply to this; if you mean "hate his appearing" right now, then ya, dying daily is painful, i agree.

If you mean literally "marks the end of their own life," then i would say that this seems to accede with their beliefs about craving death, right--if i could say anything meaningful at all there--so why aren't they loving this?

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i'm not sure how to reply to this; if you mean "hate his appearing" right now, then ya, dying daily is painful, i agree.

If you mean literally "marks the end of their own life," then i would say that this seems to accede with their beliefs about craving death, right--if i could say anything meaningful at all there--so why aren't they loving this?
Was my answer not good enough for you?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

Its not so much craving death, but accepting it. If someone hates his appearing now, they will not see him; but one day they will see him at the judgement.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Its not so much craving death, but accepting it. If someone hates his appearing now, they will not see him; but one day they will see him at the judgement.
i suspect now that that might also be today, strange as that sounds at first
we are rendering judgement there right now, for instance.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
when we examine the assumptions that accompany that future "judgement" imo the complications become clearer-
-life as we know it must necessarily have ceased, etc

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who hate his appearing do so because it marks the end of their own life.

What a safe, comforting thought.

Reminds me of the saying ‘there is nothing wrong with me, their just jealous’

Or

‘I am not violating a hundred social norms, I am hated because of Jesus’

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indeed. It is not favorable or comforting for the rich man who stored up his wealth, for example.
i'm finding his desire for a drop of water to cool his tongue significant there; a strange request from someone supposedly on fire, imo
Also i note he had no problem speaking to Abraham across a "great gulf."

but then we don't come to understand how we might be standing right next to someone whom we are "on different planets" from in that context at first either i guess

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I will die when my heart stops, my flesh that is, My spirit will live on into eternity. If I die tomorrow than I get to go home early, if i live to 75 than God gets all the glory, so why should I care, oh Im still young 55 have plenty of pains to deal with, no drugs yet, im too tired to care any more either way, i just want to be with my Father, the world is only going to get worse everyday.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I will die when my heart stops, my flesh that is, My spirit will live on into eternity. If I die tomorrow than I get to go home early, if i live to 75 than God gets all the glory, so why should I care, oh Im still young 55 have plenty of pains to deal with, no drugs yet, im too tired to care any more either way, i just want to be with my Father, the world is only going to get worse everyday.
um, yikes?
you gotta see how this defines "dead already," at least in a sense? You are not supposed to be of the world right now, right? And Scripture illustrates a better def for "dead," that you seem to be proudly claiming, without maybe realizing it? According to God, you are dead in any way that matters when you are spiritually dead, right, and physical death should be irrelevant to you, yet see, it is not. it is in fact central to your perspective, i guess.

don't get me wrong, but imo "thief in the night" goes with your idea of "going home" to some place that you have never seen, and cannot verify, except by applying your expectations to Scripture, wadr.

Christ is now assumed to have come so that you might have death, more abundantly, by your own words, seems to me

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"Recognize the fallacy of death centric western Christian models"
(skip the video, it's a hideous repro done for the blind or something, i guess?)

How did we get from
"I came that you might have life, and more abundantly"
to
"I can't wait to die, and 'go to heaven'?"

i didn't attach any files btw

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-11_11-39-32.png
    upload_2018-4-11_11-39-32.png
    245 bytes · Views: 0
    200 bytes · Views: 0
    255 bytes · Views: 0
    266 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:

Abeliever

Oct 11, 2014
New York State USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some may find this interesting...some won't.
Im sure @bbyrd009 will at least give it a look over.( Remember Mark...this is talking about when we are 'my age'....not at your age now)

I found it so interesting. I will put the link so you can read it for yourself.
But as many ( like me) do not like links...I will put a snippet right here.

I think some of us can agree that at "our age" (76) and much younger for me. We have basically be 'kept from dying' by medication ( blood pressure meds, heart meds...surgeries, etc) I am already past my "sell by" date! :)

So, in one way we have already taken our time of death out of God's trusting hand, and into our own. So the answer.." I am trusting God's timing.." doesn't wash for some of us.

This link is asking - When is it time to say ..'enough'....I will "take an aspirin if I get a headache, but if I get pneumonia I will say no thank you to the antibiotics, The Colonoscopies ,Mammography, Scan's etc ( which I personally have always done anyway...but I have had surgeries and taken the medications.....but...when do we stop?)
When is it time to let go?

So, here is the snippet and also the link for those who find it as interesting as I did :)
Quote:-
That’s how long I want to live: 75 years.

This preference drives my daughters crazy. It drives my brothers crazy. My loving friends think I am crazy. They think that I can’t mean what I say; that I haven’t thought clearly about this, because there is so much in the world to see and do. To convince me of my errors, they enumerate the myriad people I know who are over 75 and doing quite well. They are certain that as I get closer to 75, I will push the desired age back to 80, then 85, maybe even 90.

I am sure of my position. Doubtless, death is a loss. It deprives us of experiences and milestones, of time spent with our spouse and children. In short, it deprives us of all the things we value.

But here is a simple truth that many of us seem to resist: living too long is also a loss. It renders many of us, if not disabled, then faltering and declining, a state that may not be worse than death but is nonetheless deprived. It robs us of our creativity and ability to contribute to work, society, the world. It transforms how people experience us, relate to us, and, most important, remember us. We are no longer remembered as vibrant and engaged but as feeble, ineffectual, even pathetic.

By the time I reach 75, I will have lived a complete life. I will have loved and been loved.
Etc etc etc.....blah blah.... End Quote.
LINK -
< Why I Hope to Die at 75 >

Bless you... :)

I totally agree. One problem is that while modern medicine has sought to extend life, they have ignored the quality of that life. Once you lose the quality of life death starts to look good. There are also seniors who not only lost their quality of life but also lost their family, friends, and failed to plan financially to live as long as they did. For a person like this death is favorable to living. In fact if I wasn't a Christian I'd be an advocate of euthanasia for such people. I'm talking of someone who's family and friends have either died or moved far away and they didn't keep in touch. The person has little money, no car, and due to poor health, can't get out to try and meet new people. Even if they could, I noticed that once I hit 50 it became increasingly difficult to make new friends. Even when I was willing, the other person was not.
When I do get to heaven one of my first questions is Why did some of us have to live such miserable lives, I sure hope there is a good reason.

And for those who dread the appearing of Jesus..... well, they may be unsaved and yet know if Jesus appears they were wrong, so they are scared beyond knowing. Others may be saved but immature in the faith and don't understand the glory of what's waiting for us. So they still want to enjoy earth. Or they may be saved and yet so young they just don't want to leave yet. But if a person is a mature Christian and knows what's coming, this person should by no means dread the return of Jesus. If we are mature in the faith then we already gave up the pleasures of earth, we don't even like anything here anymore. I admit it took me until 60 to reach this, but since I did when I hear a person died I feel they were lucky. I feel bad if they had loved ones who will miss them. But a saved person is better off leaving.

Last edited: