When Persecution Comes Calling

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For anyone that has been following the news there are a growing number of stories that speak of the persecution of Christians. For many, such articles seem surreal, they remain so far removed from our current peaceful existence that we find no reason to try and relate, let alone guard ourselves from similar violation. But what if trouble does come near our door? Must we fall victim to the plans of a corrupt and tyrannical world system? Should we yield ourselves over to those that would gladly bring harm to us or to those we love?   Of course the answer is “no” but we must also gain some perspective on how Jesus saves us from unwarranted trouble. Only when God’s people stand in Christ do we let Jesus be the one that decides our fate. Let’s consider a couple of valuable truths that make victory possible.

Dwelling with the Most High
When we got saved the authority of Jesus was given to us through a personal connection with the Savior. Jesus became our standard in life and faith and His rule became our source of authority.

Ephesians 2:6-7 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

Seated with Christ means two things; one it means we have ceased from our own works in order to live our Christian life through Him. Jesus has provided us a full and rich alternative to a life once subject to corruption.
Secondly it means that we have gained a spiritual position in Christ that is raised above the dictates of a fallen world. We can literally hold on to the perspective that we are raised above and held in the hollow of God’s hand. In fact the Greek definition for “salvation” amounts to “deliverance, preservation and safety”.
Now that should help us choose God’s favor. From this regal place of authority we can conclude that the kingdoms of this world are under our feet. However there is one thing that stops us from living in that place of total victory; it has to do with our dependence on our old man’s ways; let me explain.
At one time humanity received a commission from God to be fruitful and take dominion, and this was a good thing. The intent was for man to be a steward of God’s creation which gave him freedom to be a sovereign over the physical land (Sovereign means that no one stands between him and God). However as man sinned and lost connection with God, his natural ability to take dominion became corrupt. Left to his own devices he became a slave to the god of this world and was made subject to death.
As believers this should concern us for one reason. Even though we have been invited to rest in the kingdom and partake of all that is victorious in Christ, the dividing line between success and failure depends on the choices we make. The Apostle Paul helps us understand what we should be choosing; he says;

Romans 8:5-6 (NIV) Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.

Now don’t get me wrong, we are still creatures born of the flesh and live out our days while deciding what’s best for body, soul and spirit. However when we received the free gift of God it was an invitation to be governed by the indwelling Holy Spirit. In that environment the flesh responds to righteousness and our sinful ways begin to fade; that is if we want them to fade.
When the flesh still rules in compromise it reveals an open door to unwanted advances. Think of it this way; those that pick up the sword die by the sword; or more to the point those that pick up the flesh are prone to suffering because of the flesh. So quite often the thing we call persecution is simply a matter of having created an open door to an outside attack. You name the unwanted encounter; it’s a sure thing that it rides on the coat tails of some past indiscretion.

For the record, the way every stronghold is formed is based on a free will choice to be owned and then governed by the presence of a demonic power.

Under the influence of sin other people are able to notice the spiritual sign on our foreheads that reads “open for business”. In this way some will approach us wanting to join the party, some will want to crash the party; while the wise will seek to run away from us. Resolving fleshly points of compromise remains a valuable first step in limiting unwanted persecution. This comes about as we confess our sins and align ourselves with the victory Jesus afforded us at the Cross. Take a look at all the benefits provided us when Jesus died on the Cross /christian-news/2022/07/the-purpose-driven-death-5-2609358.html .
Beyond clearing the slate of a compromised way of life, we need to know that persecution can still come to those that have a pure heart. But even here we are not ill equipped to respond. The ministry of Jesus on our lives can set at bay added trouble as we speak the truth in Christ. What we want to capture is an understanding that victory is very much tied to our confession.

Romans 10:9-10 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart a person believes and so is justified, and with the mouth he confesses and confirms salvation.

In the Greek, the word “confess” is “homologeo” and is defined as: saying the same thing as another, i.e. agreeing with; conceding to confess, declare; professing to declare openly, speak out freely; praising and celebrating. Other scriptures that bring forth the same truth are: Mat. 10:32, 1 Tim. 6:12, Heb. 13:15, 2 Cor. 4:13. The emphasis on agreement with God is alive throughout the scriptures, and if we want, it can be alive within each one of us.
We bring this to light to make a point; so much of the ministry of Jesus relies upon the spoken word. Prayer remains verbal, many of the gifts of the Spirit depend on a verbal response, and certainly the ascension gifts rely upon the spoken word for results. Most notably we too are learning that strongholds crater when we declare victory in Christ over the flesh, the world and the Devil.
continued at When Persecution Comes Calling | Beyond Science | Before It's News

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For anyone that has been following the news there are a growing number of stories that speak of the persecution of Christians. For many, such articles seem surreal, they remain so far removed from our current peaceful existence that we find no reason to try and relate, let alone guard ourselves from similar violation. But what if trouble does come near our door? Must we fall victim to the plans of a corrupt and tyrannical world system? Should we yield ourselves over to those that would gladly bring harm to us or to those we love?   Of course the answer is “no” but we must also gain some perspective on how Jesus saves us from unwarranted trouble. Only when God’s people stand in Christ do we let Jesus be the one that decides our fate. Let’s consider a couple of valuable truths that make victory possible.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying in this post. I just wish to address this one point. Persecution of Christianity has already been taking place in the West. It isn't like it is in Communist or Islamic countries, or perhaps in some pagan countries, but it is persecution just the same.

The world is gradually coming to a consensus that "going our own way" is the right thing to do, and that we should all express tolerance for the myriad of pagan practices that individuals and groups want to practice. As this mind set congeals, those who hold, intractably, to Christian doctrine, are beginning to be viewed as "intolerant, bigoted, and a threat to the State." It is becoming more hostile every year.

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying in this post. I just wish to address this one point. Persecution of Christianity has already been taking place in the West. It isn't like it is in Communist or Islamic countries, or perhaps in some pagan countries, but it is persecution just the same.

The world is gradually coming to a consensus that "going our own way" is the right thing to do, and that we should all express tolerance for the myriad of pagan practices that individuals and groups want to practice. As this mind set congeals, those who hold, intractably, to Christian doctrine, are beginning to be viewed as "intolerant, bigoted, and a threat to the State." It is becoming more hostile every year.
I guess we should ask the Christian how soon is the return of Christ?. If its a long way off then most will turn to defending their position only to be rightly persecuted by the opposition. But if Jesus comes tomorrow then we let Him decide the fate of the world.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess we should ask the Christian how soon is the return of Christ?. If its a long way off then most will turn to defending their position only to be rightly persecuted by the opposition. But if Jesus comes tomorrow then we let Him decide the fate of the world.
God has already decided the fate of the world = John 3:16-21 and 2 Thess ch2

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has already decided the fate of the world = John 3:16-21 and 2 Thess ch2
i speak of the believers attitude towards what is unfolding. there are those in the Church that are waiting for personal prosperity and restoration. Its a common problem within many main line prophets of today. The result is we deserve to be persecuted for our foolish expectations.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying? I certainly do not believe that Christ's Coming is a long ways off. I also don't believe Jesus can come tomorrow--I'm Postrib.

I think persecution comes to those who live righteous, and is not necessarily related to what we believe about the time of Jesus' Coming. Maybe you can explain a little more about what you're saying?

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying? I certainly do not believe that Christ's Coming is a long ways off. I also don't believe Jesus can come tomorrow--I'm Postrib.

I think persecution comes to those who live righteous, and is not necessarily related to what we believe about the time of Jesus' Coming. Maybe you can explain a little more about what you're saying?
Yes by all means a righteous life will be sneered at, but as I said here in the article. sometimes we invite persecution.
When the flesh still rules in compromise it reveals an open door to unwanted advances. Think of it this way; those that pick up the sword die by the sword; or more to the point those that pick up the flesh are prone to suffering because of the fleshly reason. So quite often the thing we call persecution is simply a matter of having created an open door to an outside attack

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes by all means a righteous life will be sneered at, but as I said here in the article. sometimes we invite persecution.
When the flesh still rules in compromise it reveals an open door to unwanted advances. Think of it this way; those that pick up the sword die by the sword; or more to the point those that pick up the flesh are prone to suffering because of the fleshly reason. So quite often the thing we call persecution is simply a matter of having created an open door to an outside attack
Gal 5.13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.

1 Pet 4.14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.

Reactions: Brakelite

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 5.13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.

1 Pet 4.14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.
Great verses unfortunately the fleshly rabbit hole goes very deep and few believers ever do more than scratch the surface of how the flesh owns our steps. This is where the Cross comes in and destroys the works of the flesh.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great verses unfortunately the fleshly rabbit hole goes very deep and few believers ever do more than scratch the surface of how the flesh owns our steps. This is where the Cross comes in and destroys the works of the flesh.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
I don't honestly know "how deep the fleshly rabbit hole goes?" Christians are called to "walk by the Spirit." The Scriptures indicate we are not slaves of God, but children. So there seems to be a lot of free choices that we, as God's children, can make without being called "carnal."

But everyday I know there is a frailty in our lives and a regular testing that invites fleshly reactions. And simply because we are imperfect does not mean we are deep down the hole of carnality. No, the regular Christian life is one of triumphing over our lower tendencies so that we prevail in exhibiting Christ in our lives. A setback does not mean we have return to being dominated by the flesh.

I refuse to judge even those who are somewhat cantankerous. I don't know what they've been through or are going through. I prefer to see all genuine Christians as committed to walking in the love of Christ. If someone runs afoul of Christ's love and starts to display ungodly behavior, I simply try to remind them to what they've been called.

And yet I know that Paul made great effort to convince flawed Christians of their carnal tendencies. This does not mean we should abandon those who have struggles. Rather, it means we should be like Paul, continuing to patiently encourage them to walk in righteousness, overcoming the sinful tendencies we all have.

Reactions: Brakelite

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't honestly know "how deep the fleshly rabbit hole goes?" Christians are called to "walk by the Spirit." The Scriptures indicate we are not slaves of God, but children. So there seems to be a lot of free choices that we, as God's children, can make without being called "carnal."

But everyday I know there is a frailty in our lives and a regular testing that invites fleshly reactions. And simply because we are imperfect does not mean we are deep down the hole of carnality. No, the regular Christian life is one of triumphing over our lower tendencies so that we prevail in exhibiting Christ in our lives. A setback does not mean we have return to being dominated by the flesh.

I refuse to judge even those who are somewhat cantankerous. I don't know what they've been through or are going through. I prefer to see all genuine Christians as committed to walking in the love of Christ. If someone runs afoul of Christ's love and starts to display ungodly behavior, I simply try to remind them to what they've been called.

And yet I know that Paul made great effort to convince flawed Christians of their carnal tendencies. This does not mean we should abandon those who have struggles. Rather, it means we should be like Paul, continuing to patiently encourage them to walk in righteousness, overcoming the sinful tendencies we all have.
Paul was definitively on to something. He gained a revelation of the Cross that had the ability to renew our steps and eventually impact the Church. But initially it meant bringing transformation to the lives of the individual. Only then would a person be a valuable witness and support to those known to the Body of believers. But in either case the need for change drove him personally to want to obtain a greater relationship with the Savior. This too is our goal; we don't succeed at change for the sake of others; we change because we want Him more than the things of the earth. Hence as we consider what was learned about a life once subject to a rocky past and difficult upbringing; or when we consider the ways in which we once gave away our authority to men, organizations and sometimes to a demonic realm; we move these things out of the way to see Jesus in a new light.

Philippians 3:12-15
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The result is we deserve to be persecuted for our foolish expectations
There's a common idea running through the church at present, particularly in America where religion is so politicised, that Christians are being persecuted simply by the presence of democrats in the house. I have little sympathy for those who feel they are being persecuted/victimised because they have a political view different from the incumbent. Jesus declared that those who would choose to live godly lives, would inevitably suffer persecution. As Randy posted, being targeted for being a nincompoop is not persecution.
I get the feeling though that your motivation for posting isn't yet to be fully revealed... That you have more in mind in the context of 'overcoming' the enemies of faith that we come across from time to time, particularly when those enemies are institutionalized and organised.

Gordon

Jul 4, 2023
Longview
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a common idea running through the church at present, particularly in America where religion is so politicised, that Christians are being persecuted simply by the presence of democrats in the house. I have little sympathy for those who feel they are being persecuted/victimised because they have a political view different from the incumbent. Jesus declared that those who would choose to live godly lives, would inevitably suffer persecution. As Randy posted, being targeted for being a nincompoop is not persecution.
I get the feeling though that your motivation for posting isn't yet to be fully revealed... That you have more in mind in the context of 'overcoming' the enemies of faith that we come across from time to time, particularly when those enemies are institutionalized and organised.
"persecuted for our foolish expectations" sure, in the context it was used.
Besides trying to come to the knowledge of the truth regarding where we are at in end times, I have the same desire as Paul to share how the Cross makes a difference in our daily lives. That revy is seen throughout most of my articles as well as in three books making the same claim. the result is it changes our persepctive on life and faith.

Last edited: