Where are the 5...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where are the 5 Protestant dogmas in scripture?

Protestant are not one unit, they are vast and varied. Your thinking of Calvinism which is one tiny aspect of certain Protestants, not all Protestant agree or think alike. Just like you have demonstrated with what you wrote to me in the other thread those who call themselves Catholics don't all agree either. To me it is more interesting why your a cafeteria Catholic

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Protestant are not one unit, they are vast and varied. Your thinking of Calvinism which is one tiny aspect of certain Protestants, not all Protestant agree or think alike. Just like you have demonstrated with what you wrote to me in the other thread those who call themselves Catholics don't all agree either. To me it is more interesting why your a cafeteria Catholic

im a traditional catholic
Ancient faith of the apostles acts 2:42

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 8:8-9

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the way from Genesis to Revelation. And the correct term is "doctrines". Now the question you should be asking yourself is "How in the world did the Catholic Church miss all of this?"

it did not miss anything
All the Solas are condemned in the glorious apostolic council of Trent demanded by Luther himself

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 8:8-9

works I see

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ alone
Faith alone
Scripture alone
Etc.
Thank you for your reply. I do see you as simplifying too much and generalizing too much with regard to people who are not, or so you may believe, where you are in God. Actually people are seldom if ever all the same in God and things of God whether they be Catholics or Protestants or Others. What does each of those phrases of yours meant to you or to any believer who might embrace them?

Christ alone? Christ is Messiah [Anointed One]! By and for whom is He anointed is He? If a person embraces Christ alone, could that not mean that he embraces everything that Christ wants them to embrace, be it Bible, or doctrine or dogma or church group and so forth?

Faith alone? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen [according to Hebrews 11:1]. If a person has faith in God completely all of the time, will not God fill that person eventually with everything which is needed according to God?

Scripture alone? If the scripture alone were the Word of God, it might be OK to embrace it alone, but actually, as I see it, without the Holy Spirit quickening what a person reads or hears in or from the scripture it could be an empty lifeless thing as when Satan tried to use it against Jesus:

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. [from Psalm 91]
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. [from Deut. 8:3] " Matt 4:6-7

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply. I do see you as simplifying too much and generalizing too much with regard to people who are not, or so you may believe, where you are in God. Actually people are seldom if ever all the same in God and things of God whether they be Catholics or Protestants or Others. What does each of those phrases of yours meant to you or to any believer who might embrace them?

Christ alone? Christ is Messiah [Anointed One]! By and for whom is He anointed is He? If a person embraces Christ alone, could that not mean that he embraces everything that Christ wants them to embrace, be it Bible, or doctrine or dogma or church group and so forth?

Faith alone? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen [according to Hebrews 11:1]. If a person has faith in God completely all of the time, will not God fill that person eventually with everything which is needed according to God?

Scripture alone? If the scripture alone were the Word of God, it might be OK to embrace it alone, but actually, as I see it, without the Holy Spirit quickening what a person reads or hears in or from the scripture it could be an empty lifeless thing as when Satan tried to use it against Jesus:

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. [from Psalm 91]
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. [from Deut. 8:3] " Matt 4:6-7

Are Solas biblical?

Faith alone:
Christ alone:
Grace alone:

Three things are eternal (and therefore inseparable) faith, hope, & charity, and the greatest of these is charity! 1 cor 13

And never “faith alone”!

Rev. 2 I know thy works! I thought faith alone is all that mattered?

Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

How can salvation be by faith alone in Christ alone thru grace alone?

Faith alone?

1 cor 13:2 and 13:13, Phil 1:29, James 2:24 Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 oppose faith alone!

Christ alone?

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Romans 4:24
But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Not Christ alone must also believe on the Father who sent Christ!

Grace alone? Mk 16:16 faith and baptism!
Jn 3:5 water and the spirit! Ez 36:25-27
Acts 2:38-39 the promise of the father, sacred oath is a sacrament!

Not grace alone but, grace thru baptism of water and the spirit, and a new heart full of love of God!

Matt 5:7 merciful receive mercy
Lk 7:47 forgiven by love
1 pet 4:8 charity covers sins
Jn 20:21-23 sins forgiven

Acts 22:15 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Jn 3:5 and Titus 3:5 born again refers to baptismal regeneration

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

Paul never taught justification by “faith alone”!

Did not Paul write these scriptures?

1 cor 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Three things are eternal (and therefore inseparable) faith, hope, & charity, and the greatest of these is charity! 1 cor 13:13

Phil 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Other scriptures opposing “faith alone”

Matt 5:7 mercy thru merciful
Lk 7:47 forgiven by love
1 pet 4:8 charity covers sins
Jn 20:21-23 sins forgiven

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So here is the million dollar question no Protestant has been able to logically answer: if they all supposedly get their beliefs from the Bible like they claim, then why is it that they believe they can contradict each other and the Bible while saying their theology came solely from the Bible? It literally makes no sense when a person stops to really think about this since the Bible says God's Church is completely united in doctrine and practice.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are Solas biblical?
Is a person who cannot answer your question lost from God?
Actually, considering the meaning of the word, "Solas", there are a whole lot of them in scripture. Here is just one:

"Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matt 4:10

If you read my last response to you carefully you would have understood that we do not disagree on every point.

Faith alone:
Christ alone:
Grace alone:
Why did you repeat the first two and change the third from Scripture to Grace?
Again, why did you tag me about my post without discussing what I posted to you?

Three things are eternal (and therefore inseparable) faith, hope, & charity, and the greatest of these is charity! 1 cor 13
Does man never separate them? Should he, be he Catholic or Protestant or Other? Consider this verse from the same chapter:

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

Was not Apostle Paul warning us not to walk by faith without charity? Why do you presume that only Catholic know or practice this correctly? You are arguing against Protestants but most or many of them on this point believe it as you do. So why preach to the choir?

And never “faith alone”!

Rev. 2 I know thy works! I thought faith alone is all that mattered?
You directed this at me. I do believe in the necessity of works. If you had been paying attention to what I have posted to you previously you might known that. Instead again like you have often done in the past you addressed a world of Protestantism which probably only exists in your mind.

Why not address me and what I posted rather than repeat your own generalizations about Protestants as you see them? You want people to listen you, but when you don't bother to listen to them, what should you expect?

I have not responded to the rest of your post, because you either never read it or simply failed to understand it. If you do not really want to discuss, then do not tag me... please.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
yes Protestant dogmas
Faith alone
Christ alone
grace alone
Scripture alone

how many alones can you have and it still be alone anyway?
Okay. But you realize that not all non Catholic faiths cleave to those principles right? Some would say they cannot be alone, needing the others in order to fill the whole plan of salvation.
Tell me. When Christ was in His most trying moments, on what did He rely on order to come out victorious?

Reactions: amadeus