where does it say once you get to heaven you cannot come back

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP title: where does it say once you get to heaven you cannot come back

can you say me it
Who says that anyone, but Jesus, has ever been to heaven?

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" John 3:13

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who says that anyone, but Jesus, has ever been to heaven?

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" John 3:13
What about the people that Jesus resurrected? They are in heaven with Jesus now. That verse, being past tense and regarding Jesus as the only one who could ascend to heaven, not implying that Jesus didn't raise people to heaven after he ascended.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the people that Jesus resurrected? They are in heaven with Jesus now. That verse, being past tense and regarding Jesus as the only one who could ascend to heaven, not implying that Jesus didn't raise people to heaven after he ascended.
Of course, you could be right.

I was hoping that people would not jump to final conclusions based on what they have heard from other people or from the prescribed doctrines of any church group without carefully seeking God. Even Bible readers often do not read for themselves or carefully check in with God before deciding what is or is not.

Is heaven to be included in our reward? Is that spelled out as clearly as that in scripture?

Should heaven even be our goal? Where is that in the scripture?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, you could be right.

I was hoping that people would not jump to final conclusions based on what they have heard from other people or from the prescribed doctrines of any church group without carefully seeking God. Even Bible readers often do not read for themselves or carefully check in with God before deciding what is or is not.

Is heaven to be included in our reward? Is that spelled out as clearly as that in scripture?

Should heaven even be our goal? Where is that in the scripture?
Should heaven and treasure in heaven be our goal?

Matthew 19:16-21

King James Version

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should heaven and treasure in heaven be our goal?

Matthew 19:16-21

King James Version

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
So, then we may see heaven, whatever it is, as a reward, but should it be our goal?

What is to be first according to Jesus?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

And then the two greatest commandments?

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matt 22:37-40

If a person focuses too much on the rewards of treasure and a place in heaven and too little on seeking to obey those two commandments, what reward is he likely to receive?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, then we may see heaven, whatever it is, as a reward, but should it be our goal?

What is to be first according to Jesus?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

And then the two greatest commandments?

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matt 22:37-40

If a person focuses too much on the rewards of treasure and a place in heaven and too little on seeking to obey those two commandments, what reward is he likely to receive?
I don't seek reward, I just want to be at peace after I die. But I know what you mean, we should seek to serve God while alive.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't seek reward, I just want to be at peace after I die. But I know what you mean, we should seek to serve God while alive.
Nothing wrong with asking for things, even material things, in the right Spirit or even rewards at the end of our time here, but always, we need to have the right priorities. What does God want us to do?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does God want us to do?

God spelled that out in the bible which is a lengthy discussion that is probably off topic for the thread.

I think Holly999 might think he saw an angel. Which could be possible I think.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God spelled that out in the bible which is a lengthy discussion that is probably off topic for the thread.

I think Holly999 might think he saw an angel. Which could be possible I think.
@Holy999 needs us to encourage him where we can in the things of God. Some people here have made fun of him instead. All of us have been in darkness and all of us have at time stumbled since we met the Master. We are also just fallible men striving to surrender always to God... or?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Holy999 needs us to encourage him where we can in the things of God. Some people here have made fun of him instead. All of us have been in darkness and all of us have at time stumbled since we met the Master. We are also just fallible men striving to surrender always to God... or?
Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Reactions: charity and amadeus

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Q) "Where does it say once you get to heaven you cannot come back?"
can you say me it
Hello @Holy999,

I believe that a believer's hope is resurrection life, which takes place on a day of God's appointing. So death takes place before resurrection, unless you are 'alive and remain' until the coming of the Lord, and then the believer will not see death, but the body will be changed from mortality to immortality in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.

The soul is not immortal, so when the body dies and the spirit goes back to God who gave it, there is no longer a living soul to go anywhere other than the ground from whence it came until that resurrection day arrives. There is no consciousness in death, therefore no consciousness of the passage of time. It will be like rising out of a sleep, when the believer awakes and receives the promise of life in Christ Jesus

So there is no question to answer, for our destination following resurrection is in God's hands, according to the calling unto which the believer has been called. There are three spheres, 'Far above all heavens', 'The New Jerusalem', and, 'The Earth'. All of these spheres will be inhabited and God's purpose for all three fulfilled.

Forgive the lack of references. I can supply them if you wish.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris