Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were taking bites out of the man while he was still alive???

And they have been eating him ever since ......:ummm: and drinking his blood for the last 2000 years?
I gave Scriptural, linguistic and historical Christian evidence to affirm that Jesus wasn't lying when he said this IS my body....and this is how you respond? A big nothing burger as they say.....whoever THEY are :IDK:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I changed my avatar because you were displeased.

Let nothing disturb you, nothing frighten you, all things are passing, God is unchanging. (St. Teresa of Avila)
I think you made a good choice.

I wasn't displeased. It was just weird to me that a person who is a Christian on a Christian site would have a false god as their avatar.

Mary

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you made a good choice.

I wasn't displeased. It was just weird to me that a person who is a Christian on a Christian site would have a false god as their avatar.

Mary
Yea, I just didn't know. I should have looked it up before I captured it. Thanks

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the wrong question. There is not denomination in Scripture. Either you are following Jesus or not.

Read the entire Bible but then read Hebrews again. As the entire letter is to teach you how Jesus is the ONE and ONLY High Priest. That He is greater than law, prophets, priests, traditions, angels, and anything else.

When people are stuck on denomination, traditions, and people then they don't know God.
I agree. There were no denominations is Scripture. They were all of One accord with One teaching and Jesus prayed that we may all be One.

Even though we may all be following Jesus, not all are teaching his teachings. That is how we ended up with denominations especially after the Protestant Revolution that divided Christianity so much that we had to start calling all the churches that broke away The Church denominations.

Your "read the entire bible" theory is the problem. Each man reads the bible and comes up with his own salvific doctrine. Scripture warns against that. Why do you teach opposite of Scripture?

Martin Luther complained about everyone reading the bible and coming up with their own interpretation of it AFTER he read the bible and came up with his own interpretation of it. Luther cracks me up....

When people are stuck on the theory they can read the bible on their own and come up with THE truth......they don't know God.

Scripture says "hold fast to your traditions". YOU say people that hold to tradition "don't know God". Why do you disagree with Scripture?

Curious Mary

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I gave Scriptural, linguistic and historical Christian evidence to affirm that Jesus wasn't lying when he said this IS my body....and this is how you respond? A big nothing burger as they say.....whoever THEY are :IDK:
Wow....compared with the stack of “nothing burgers” you have been dishing up.....seriously, you have convinced no one except you fellow indoctrinated Catholics.....all the best with that. You don’t have to answer to me....

Nuff said now.....the readers can decide who is telling the truth....you have stated your case but hardly convincingly.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow....compared with the stack of “nothing burgers” you have been dishing up.....seriously, you have convinced no one except you fellow indoctrinated Catholics.....all the best with that. You don’t have to answer to me....

Nuff said now.....the readers can decide who is telling the truth....you have stated your case but hardly convincingly.
And you haven't debunked anything I said soooooo there's another big nothing burger from you.

Thanks for your time Jane.......Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You didn't address Paul's question, is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Your answer to Paul is clearly NO!!
You didn't address the linguistics I presented. Dead silence from you....:woohoo!:
You didn't address the Christian history I presented. Good job Chkl:

All of that WAS something and you didn't address any of it. Oh, wait. You said I was wrong soooo I guess you did address it, with your OPINION.....thanks for the nothing burger. :Zek:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you notice when reading the accounts, that Jesus “appeared” to his disciples throughout the 40 days that he remained after his resurrection, but that not many recognised him? If he was raised in the battered and tortured body that was put to death, wouldn’t you think someone would have commented on his dreadful physical condition?

OTOH if God raised his son back to life, and it was by God’s power that the sick and disabled were healed, would he not have raised his beloved son in a healed body?

That brings us to Thomas, who said he would not believe unless he saw the physical evidence of Christ’s execution. If Jesus was raised as a spirit, then he had the ability to materialise a body with those wounds in order to convince a ‘doubting Thomas’.....at the other times the scriptures are silent about his physical condition, which had Jesus in an appalling physical state even before his being nailed to the stake.

I can find only two occasions where he presented himself with the wound marks on his hands, feet and side, to convince his disciples that it was him......but they were only the marks of his execution, not the torture that preceded it. He even ate something to prove that he wasn’t a ghost....but going back in history we see that angels materialised in Abraham’s time to bring him news of a son that he and his wife would have and he prepared a banquet for them, at which they ate and drank what was provided.

Two of them went on to Sodom to rescue Lot and his family and again they partook of food and drink. So we have scriptural precedents of spirit beings transforming themselves into human form to deliver messages to God’s earthly servants.....why did they do this? Because God’s law forbade them to communicate with spirits. Again there is a reason for this....

Rebel angels had materialised in Noah’s day and had wreaked havoc among the human race, turning the earth into a place of extreme violence and licentiousness. God took action and flooded the world, eliminating their horrid offspring along with the humans they had corrupted, and forced their errant fathers back to the spirit realm where he dealt with them. They were never able to materialise again, though faithful angels still carried out their duties in bringing God’s message to his human servants. Gabriel appeared to Daniel and also to Mary, as a man.

Flesh and blood cannot exist outside of earth’s atmosphere which is where he designed humans to live.

The apostle Paul wrote at 1 Cor 15:50-53...
“But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Look! I tell you a sacred secret: We will not all fall asleep in death, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed. 53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality.”

Since Jesus’ “chosen ones” (those with the heavenly calling. Heb 3:1) had to die the same death and experience the same resurrection as he did, this tells us how that happens.....a complete transformation from earthly creatures of flesh and blood, to immortal and incorruptible spirit beings, so as to dwell in the presence of God in heaven.

Jesus was ‘put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit’. (1 Pet 3:18)
I have a different view. I think Jesus rose bodily, wounds and all -- and the lack of comment on his bruised condition doesn't trouble me. I'm persuaded by John 2:19-22: "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then the Jews said, 'It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?' But he was speaking of the temple of his body. Therefore, when he had risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this to them."

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aaaaah, I see now what you getting at. Scripture doesn't identify who the Messiah is, the church does, and I imagine you would be using Matthew 16:16 to prove that, and therefore support the concept of 'authority'? Am I understanding you correctly?
Not sure what you’re ranting about.

I stated that Church Authority is absolutely mandated by Scripture – and gave you several verses to support that position (Matt 16:16-19, Matt. 18:15-18, 2 Thess 2:15, Luke 10:16)

I don’t see a SINGLE refutation of that argument in your response . . .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because they know the Word. The Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Christ and holds the majority of Christians today (About 1.4 Billion). The Catholic Church received the deposit of faith (Divine Revelation) from Christ, Himself. Even a cursory study of the Early Church Fathers (Christians in the first 4 centuries) shows they were clearly Catholic. If one was Christian for the first 1000 years of Christianity one was Catholic because that's all there was. In 1054 A.D., the Orthodox splintered off, but retained Apostolic Authority, and, therefore, all seven Sacraments given mankind by Christ. Protestantism didn't begin till the 16th century and has continually splintered every since into literally tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally disagreeing denominations.
Could it be that the pure woman in Revelation 12 has morphed into the impure woman of Revelation 17?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have a different view. I think Jesus rose bodily, wounds and all -- and the lack of comment on his bruised condition doesn't trouble me. I'm persuaded by John 2:19-22: "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then the Jews said, 'It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?' But he was speaking of the temple of his body. Therefore, when he had risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this to them."
You misunderstand his words.....his “body” is the establishment of his bride class....”the body of Christ” that is mentioned many times.....so it is not just his physically body.....upon his return to heaven, he laid the cornerstone of his church, which later included the 12 apostles as the rest of the foundation of God’s Kingdom. More would be added later to include the gentile “heirs of the kingdom”.

If Christ was resurrected in the same body that he sacrificed, then he took back the value of it. When an animal was sacrificed in atonement for sins, it was not resurrected to live again.....it’s life was taken permanently, but there was to be a new sacrifice the following week. Animal sacrifices were a temporary means of forgiveness....Christ’s sacrifice was permanent, with no need for future sacrifice.....the Catholic Church sacrifices him all over again....every time they take the bread and wine.....do they actually take the wine? I have seen them line up for the wafer, but when is the wine given? Do all drink from the same cup during a pandemic?

Reactions: Cassandra

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is this one lady that goes to Mass where my daughter goes, she she doesn't drink the wine, and she doesn't eat the wafer, because it isn't gluten free. She goes through the line and crosses her arms when she goes to the front.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your foundation started in the 1870's
Actually, there have been many “witnesses” for Jehovah God. - Hebrews 11:39-12:1

If you are referring to the legal entity known as Jehovah’s Witnesses in these Last Days, then that occurred in 1931, when the term became a name.
In Daniel 12, we read that “true knowledge” would increase “in the final part of the days.”

Which, by deduction, means there wasn’t much spiritual truth known prior to these Last Days.

I can show you that mine started 2,000 years ago.
By “mine”, do you mean the Catholic faith?

Christ’s followers in the first century followed / obeyed Christ’s injunction to “love one another.” (John 13:34; John 15:12,17) In fact, Jesus said it would be the way to ID His genuine followers. — John 13:35.

Is this the reputation the Catholic faith has built? Unfortunately, almost since Catholicism’s inception, it has tried to gain friendship with the world (James 4:4; John 15:19) and its rulers, even encouraging its members to support local wars, pitting Catholics against Catholics, brothers slaughtering brothers.

Am I wrong?

Reminds me of Titus 1:16

However, it was foretold that worshippers of Jesus’ Father (John 4:23), the LORD God Jehovah, would “beat their swords into plow shares and…. not lift up sword” in these “Last Days.” — Isaiah 2:2-4.

When it comes to obeying Christ through their global love, and His command in preaching (Matthew 28:19,20), I only know of one group who measures up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You misunderstand his words.....his “body” is the establishment of his bride class....”the body of Christ” that is mentioned many times.....so it is not just his physically body.....upon his return to heaven, he laid the cornerstone of his church, which later included the 12 apostles as the rest of the foundation of God’s Kingdom. More would be added later to include the gentile “heirs of the kingdom”.
The notion of the body of Christ as his "bride class," or as the church, is not something I'm questioning at all. The only issue I thought we were discussing is whether or not Christ's physical body left the tomb and walked the earth for another 40 days or so. If it did (as I believe), then whether it was "not just his physically body" as you put it, or also something more as well (as I'm happy to concede), is a bit off point. To focus: was Christ's physical body resurrected and living on the planet after Easter, or did it only appear to be such but in fact was some kind of chimera?

I believe the former, and I see that you believe the latter, for as you earlier put it,
The tomb was empty because God himself disposed of Christ's body
My problem with your conclusion is that Christ went out of his way to convince his disciples that what they were seeing wasn't some kind of ghost, but was his real flesh-and-blood body --a la Luke 24:39. Was Christ being duplicitous? You must think so. I don't.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not sure what you’re ranting about.

I stated that Church Authority is absolutely mandated by Scripture – and gave you several verses to support that position (Matt 16:16-19, Matt. 18:15-18, 2 Thess 2:15, Luke 10:16)

I don’t see a SINGLE refutation of that argument in your response . . .
Hahahaha, BoL, you are a hard case. I wasn't trying to refute any of your arguments. Read my response carefully. It is asking for confirmation of what you are telling me. I am asking if I am right in my understanding of what you are saying. You are so bent toward aggressive and defensive arguments you are on auto pilot. Slow down son.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, there have been many “witnesses” for Jehovah God. - Hebrews 11:39-12:1

If you are referring to the legal entity known as Jehovah’s Witnesses in these Last Days, then that occurred in 1931, when the term became a name.
In Daniel 12, we read that “true knowledge” would increase “in the final part of the days.”

Which, by deduction, means there wasn’t much spiritual truth known prior to these Last Days.
Hmmmm....let me see if I have your theory correct.

Hebrews was written around 67AD. And since that time 'there have been many “witnesses” for Jehovah God". But the "true knowledge" has increased in the last 100 years or so; these final/Last Days. But by your deduction "there wasn’t much spiritual truth known prior to these Last Days."

Doesn't that mean the earliest "witnesses for Jehovah God" (those starting around 67AD) didn't have ALL the truth? Christians, specifically JW's, are now just learning ALL the truth?

Am I understanding you correctly TheHC?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to obeying Christ through their global love, and His command in preaching (Matthew 28:19,20), I only know of one group who measures up.
And which group is that?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ’s followers in the first century followed / obeyed Christ’s injunction to “love one another.” (John 13:34; John 15:12,17) In fact, Jesus said it would be the way to ID His genuine followers. — John 13:35.
Christ, and the Apostles, taught much more than that on what one must do to be a genuine follower. Repent. Get baptized. Help the poor etc etc. Not sure why you are preaching only part of Scripture to make your point. Us Christians obey ALL of Scripture.

He also said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Do you THC?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only issue I thought we were discussing is whether or not Christ's physical body left the tomb and walked the earth for another 40 days or so. If it did (as I believe), then whether it was "not just his physically body" as you put it, or also something more as well (as I'm happy to concede), is a bit off point.
Jesus was resurrected as a spirit, which is the “form” he had before coming to earth as a human….
“Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although he was existing in God’s form, did not even consider the idea of trying to be equal to God.“ (Phil 2:5-6)

He returned to his Father in the “form“ in which he was created. The Bible does not say what became of his body except to say that it was prophesied that Christ’s flesh would not see corruption.
Materializing in human form was not something new, as the faithful angels had done so before Christ’s birth. (as previously mentioned)
The Bible gives us clues, without coming right out and saying that he had materialized human form to encourage his disciples for the difficult time ahead….but all the suggestions are there.
To focus: was Christ's physical body resurrected and living on the planet after Easter, or did it only appear to be such but in fact was some kind of chimera?
I don’t believe he had a physical body after his resurrection, because a spirit body is still a body. He was resurrected in a new body…one that facilitated his return to heaven.