Where in the bible does it say I need to use it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
There are numerous examples of people who will be in the kingdom
will be, are, have been too i guess huh?
The kingdom of heaven is within you
No one has ever gone up to heaven

Matthew 4:4
4 "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' "
nice, iow Word pretty much gotta be heard right, even today. And imo there is a foolproof formula for determining if what one is hearing is Word or not, #1 it should prolly make the hearer recoil in horror, #2 any witnesses gathered about should be agreeable to it, unless they are in #1s camp, and etc?

imo this "I enjoy hearing the Word" is an lol, You talk to us and we will listen, but don't let Him talk to us again or we will die

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, yes, you're right, God never changes, and His Word is not contingent upon the existence of the Bible. I didn't mean to dismiss your ultimate point, but it was irrelevant to the topic at hand. ...or, at least I thought. So, you maintain that God revealed to you through revelation, all the salvific contents of the Bible?
Well, all I can say is that I wish that I had as much faith as you?
God never has just taught via a book.
A person doesn't just need to learn about Him via a book.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You argument here is essentially the standard non-sola-scriptura arguments. Considering vast majority of Christians aren't sola-scriptura, I don't see much argument to be had here. I actually agree with a lot of your points.
Real Christian's are sola scriptura, nominal Christianity is not.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16 (CJB)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed ...
Psalm 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

It's your opinions VS the Bible.
Correct. It is special revelation vs shared ignorance.
The bible is the greatest gift that God has given to man.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they do, or God would not have had them write it
Not just via a book.
Things like the Spirit testifying to a person are critically important. Going out and living the Christian life. Etc.
As long as you're willing to agree that means Calvin's work & the Creeds can all be discarded ;).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but why would men seek after Christ after all they have the bible.
Lots of dead answers for dead people. The Pharisees including Paul before he met Jesus knew the written scriptures very well. Consider also what David wrote here:

"For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise" Psalm 51:16-17

All of those people following Moses and the written rule book of the law for the most part still missed it because it was the black and white letter and not of their hearts. With one greater than Moses to lead people today too often they do exactly the same thing. The Book, the Bible contains warnings and explanations, but how many still don't understand? The Holy Spirit is missing! Jesus is missing! The unopened, unread or misunderstood book of the scriptures is dead...

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

The letter alone kills, whether it is OT letter or NT letter or both. Life is in the Spirit. Life is what Jesus brought. The Book is fine, but alone it kills people. Look at the vain arguments and name calling all around us on this forum? Where is the Spirit of God? Where is the Life?

Reactions: quietthinker

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will be many people in the new Earth who have never heard of the Bible, let alone read it.
There will be many who have never heard of Jesus and how atonement works.
They will be like the one who asks,
What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

They are the ones who come from East and West and sit with Abraham in the kingdom. Good does not judge according to our knowledge of theology and doctrine. There will be many who got theology wrong, but have the right Spirit. But none who got theology right, but have the wrong Spirit. There are numerous examples of people who will be in the kingdom but weren't baptised... Didn't confess the name of Jesus... Didn't understand how salvation and atonement was made... But one thing they will all have in common... They will be saved because of what Jesus did for them.
Even so!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. It is special revelation vs shared ignorance.
The bible is the greatest gift that God has given to man.
An important gift perhaps, but the greatest gift...? Certainly not! Did not God give us His Son, Jesus, who is no book?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not that people don't believe the Bible is God's Word. They just don't like what God has said.

Mt 7 Narrow is the way that leads to life and FEW there be who find it.

Rev 20 And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not that people don't believe the Bible is God's Word. They just don't like what God has said.

Mt 7 Narrow is the way that leads to life and FEW there be who find it.

Rev 20 And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
How many people did Jesus heal or save after he died on the cross but before he resurrected? Was that perhaps with good purpose or reason?

Was He was not dead like an unopened, unread, unquickened Bible?

Have you ever heard of a Bible being brought to Life? My mother had a beautifully bound Bible open to a wonderful color picture on display on a table in her living room for all the years I was growing up in her home. No one ever read that Bible in our home. No one in our home to my knowledge knew what was written within that book. It was dead. It brought no Life to anyone in my family.

Jesus did bring Life. Jesus is Not equal to the Bible. Jesus on the other hand is the Word of God!

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:" John 11:25

He does not say believe in the Bible or in the scriptures, but "in me"! The Bible unopened, unread, unquickened, will never say, "I am the Life". Unopened, unread, unquickened, it will never say, "he that believeth in me,... shall live".

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is correct. And using the *vast majority* argument is meaningless, since the vast majority are being misled. When (a) so-called *Holy Tradition* (b) non-canonical books, and (c) so-called prophets and prophetesses were given the same status as Scripture, all kinds of false doctrines came into existence. That led to the formation of cults (including the cult of Mary).

All genuine Christians can agree with the Five Solas of the Reformation. And everything there is based upon Scripture.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is correct. And using the *vast majority* argument is meaningless, since the vast majority are being misled. When (a) so-called *Holy Tradition* (b) non-canonical books, and (c) so-called prophets and prophetesses were given the same status as Scripture, all kinds of false doctrines came into existence. That led to the formation of cults (including the cult of Mary).

All genuine Christians can agree with the Five Solas of the Reformation. And everything there is based upon Scripture.
If you're holding to the Five Solas of the Reformation, then by that very act you are not being sola scriptura yourself.

Reactions: Candidus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you're holding to the Five Solas of the Reformation, then by that very act you are not being sola scriptura yourself.
What makes you say that? The Five Solas present the true Gospel, and each one is solidly based upon Scripture. And the Gospel as well as the Bible are both called "the Word of God".

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:

25 But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the Word which by the Gospel is preached unto you. (1 Peter 1:23-25)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes you say that? The Five Solas present the true Gospel, and each one is solidly based upon Scripture. And the Gospel as well as the Bible are both called "the Word of God".
Are the Five Solas of the Reformation scripture?

No. So you now have two things: scripture + Five Solas of the Reformation.

Note: I'm not saying that you can't believe that the Five Solas of the Reformation accurately reflect scripture -- that's a different question. But if you're holding to them as an important Truth, then by definition that's not Sola Sciptura.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not just via a book.
Things like the Spirit testifying to a person are critically important. Going out and living the Christian life. Etc.

As long as you're willing to agree that means Calvin's work & the Creeds can all be discarded ;).
Did I mention Calvin?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agreed.
Enoch when you are on target ,you hit the bullseye.
Those other times...it is as if you dud not know there was a target,lol. Not sure what to make of it:oops: