Where in the bible does it say I need to use it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
...I was hoping hoping that you were going to elaborate on which part of what I said, was crap. Or, if all, why?
i would say mainly bc so many definitive statements are made that are debatable, or at least have another side?

imo it just starts out off--as has been mentioned, Law didnt begin with Bible, and the first five of the decalogue are likely Hammurabi or even earlier? And kinda just continues in that vein wadr.

There is not a man on earth that has received these revelations outside of the Bible, that is, except solely the inspired authors themselves.
i mean pls, there are examples in the Bible that refute this

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For people living since 200AD, the Bible was the source for all God-given doctrine. For even the oral tradition was either, derived or coincided with the Old & New Testament autographs. So, again, for the sake of this argument, the Bible always comes first.
Shouldnt the Spirit of God be first, you can see the results of reading the bibel first, you get you idea of whats right, you ask for understanding it is given to you, it conflicts with yours than you tell God hes wrong because the bible says, Thats why we have the forums. The bible is not God, nor Jesus nor His Spirit, and it has no life in it, again just look at these forums.

If Christ isnt first you may as well make Him last.

Reactions: amadeus

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 4:4
4 "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' "

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I just see the OP being a rejection of sola scriptura. Not that scripture isn't important.
Sola Scriptura means that all doctrines and precepts of God's will, are derived from Scripture. That is, we don't go to extraneous sources, as in any other uninspired writings, to determine God's Word. That is all that it means. If someone presents a tenet that cannot be corroborated with Scripture, it must be rejected.
But, again, exegeting Scripture requires prayer and the gift of wisdom, this is not defying Sola Scriptura.
I believe that the OP has a very low esteem of Scripture, he does not see it as authoritative or inspired.

But, if I may JD22, unless you agree with my above definition of Sola Scripture, what do you think is the authoritative source for Christian doctrine?

Reactions: marks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i would say mainly bc so many definitive statements are made that are debatable, or at least have another side?

imo it just starts out off--as has been mentioned, Law didnt begin with Bible, and the first five of the decalogue are likely Hammurabi or even earlier? And kinda just continues in that vein wadr.

i mean pls, there are examples in the Bible that refute this
Yes, but I don't mean the origins of the Bible. I meant the canon as we know it today. That is, the Bible defines both Jewish and Christian doctrines, for where else would they come from? My point about the Law was not so much which came first from inception, but merely, where do Christians today get their guidance and grounds for salvation and evangelism. Solely and entirely from the Bible.
The OP is trying to state that he has the Spirit within him, and that's all that he needs.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura means that all doctrines and precepts of God's will, are derived from Scripture. That is, we don't go to extraneous sources, as in any other uninspired writings, to determine God's Word. That is all that it means. If someone presents a tenet that cannot be corroborated with Scripture, it must be rejected.
But, again, exegeting Scripture requires prayer and the gift of wisdom, this is not defying Sola Scriptura.
I believe that the OP has a very low esteem of Scripture, he does not see it as authoritative or inspired.

But, if I may JD22, unless you agree with my above definition of Sola Scripture,
I do agree that that is the definition of sola scriptura, and that it's a very flawed concept.
what do you think is the authoritative source for Christian doctrine?
God Himself.

God >> the Bible.
Yes, but I don't mean the origins of the Bible. I meant the canon as we know it today. That is, the Bible defines both Jewish and Christian doctrines, for where else would they come from? My point about the Law was not so much which came first from inception, but merely, where do Christians today get their guidance and grounds for salvation and evangelism. Solely and entirely from the Bible.
The OP is trying to state that he has the Spirit within him, and that's all that he needs.
Truth comes from God Himself.
If all the Bibles in the world got burnt, then God's law would not change, nor would His miracles cease.
where do Christians today get their guidance and grounds for salvation and evangelism. Solely and entirely from the Bible.
A Christian is a disciple of Christ.
Not a disciple of a book.
Christians received faith from Him.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Shouldnt the Spirit of God be first, you can see the results of reading the bibel first, you get you idea of whats right, you ask for understanding it is given to you, it conflicts with yours than you tell God hes wrong because the bible says, Thats why we have the forums. The bible is not God, nor Jesus nor His Spirit, and it has no life in it, again just look at these forums.

If Christ isnt first you may as well make Him last.
Oh yes, I remember now, you claim to be filled with the Spirit also, which you say guides you into all truth unto salvation and edification. Therefore, you place Scripture secondary to the revelations that you receive from the Spirit.
Again, you weren't even aware that God offered His gift of the Spirit if you had never read about Christ's redemption, the day of Pentecost, and that the Spirit was a seal and testimony that God decreed to be given to believers, from the Bible.
Unless you don't believe in the Christian tenets that I just mentioned, you're talking in circles.

Reactions: bbyrd009

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do agree that that is the definition of sola scriptura, and that it's a very flawed concept.

God Himself.

God >> the Bible.

Truth comes from God Himself.
If all the Bibles in the world got burnt, then God's law would not change, nor would His miracles cease.

A Christian is a disciple of Christ.
Not a disciple of a book.
Christians received faith from Him.
You've been continuously avoiding the point. Where did you find out about man's need for redemption, and God's grace? ...unless of course you don't believe in either?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've been continuously avoiding the point. Where did you find out about man's need for redemption, and God's grace? ...unless of course you don't believe in either?
Faith is a gift from GOD.

Without God the Spirit testifying, the Bible is nothing more than a paper weight.
Worship God and put Him first, not the hunk of paper.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Faith is a gift from GOD.

Without God the Spirit testifying, the Bible is nothing more than a paper weight.
Worship God and put Him first, not the hunk of paper.
You're very difficult!
Again, how did you know that faith is a gift from God? And then, faith in what? The same faith as a Muslim, who believes that Mohammed was a prophet of God?
Please tell me that you see my point?

Reactions: marks

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're very difficult!
Again, how did you know that faith is a gift from God? And then, faith in what? The same faith as a Muslim, who believes that Mohammed was a prophet of God?
Please tell me that you see my point?
I asked God what is true.

Not a book. The master of the universe and source of Truth Himself.

That’s what being a Christian is about. That relationship & discipleship.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I asked God what is true.

Not a book. The master of the universe and source of Truth Himself.

That’s what being a Christian is about. That relationship & discipleship.
So, one day you woke out of bed, and the notion of Jesus Christ just popped into your head? Or one day you were praying to God, asking for truth, and He told you all about Adam's sin, Abraham's faith, the Levitical law, the Tribe of Judah, Davidic Covenant, the seed of Jesse, Golgotha and the Mount of Olives?

Reactions: marks and bbyrd009

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, one day you woke out of bed, and the notion of Jesus Christ just popped into your head? Or one day you were praying to God, asking for truth, and He told you all about Adam's sin, Abraham's faith, the Levitical law, the Tribe of Judah, Davidic Covenant, the seed of Jesse, Golgotha and the Mount of Olives?
Yes.

DNB: if all the Bible’s I’m the world were burned, would God cease to be? Would the Savior cease to be? Would salvation cease to be?

NO!!!

Salvation is from God. Faith is from God. Testimony is from God. Understanding is from God.

Without God, a person reading he Bible has no understanding, no faith, no salvation.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Spirit was a seal and testimony that God decreed to be given to believers, from the Bible.
No it was not, she how you elevate the bible above even God, does not that make it and idol.God never stopped speaking, men just stopped listening, His Spirit is given to all who believe, can God help it that the Holy Spirit is not enough for men, that the dead letter is even given a higher place then the word that is Jesus Christ in whom we have our life. I love he way you all avoid this bit

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
Joh 5:41 I receive not honour from men.

and so men have no life and the bible gets all the honor and the glory.

Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

but why would men seek after Christ after all they have the bible.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes.

DNB: if all the Bible’s I’m the world were burned, would God cease to be? Would the Savior cease to be? Would salvation cease to be?

NO!!!

Salvation is from God. Faith is from God. Testimony is from God. Understanding is from God.

Without God, a person reading he Bible has no understanding, no faith, no salvation.
ok, yes, you're right, God never changes, and His Word is not contingent upon the existence of the Bible. I didn't mean to dismiss your ultimate point, but it was irrelevant to the topic at hand. ...or, at least I thought. So, you maintain that God revealed to you through revelation, all the salvific contents of the Bible?
Well, all I can say is that I wish that I had as much faith as you?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No it was not, she how you elevate the bible above even God, does not that make it and idol.God never stopped speaking, men just stopped listening, His Spirit is given to all who believe, can God help it that the Holy Spirit is not enough for men, that the dead letter is even given a higher place then the word that is Jesus Christ in whom we have our life. I love he way you all avoid this bit

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
Joh 5:41 I receive not honour from men.

and so men have no life and the bible gets all the honor and the glory.

Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

but why would men seek after Christ after all they have the bible.
How does one obtain the Spirit? And since you affirm that you have it, does that mean that you have a thorough, accurate and sound comprehension of God's Word?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
as if, right

imo you wanna advertise your lack of the Spirit, just start insisting to everyone that you have It

which i dont mean to reflect on mjr, its a universal...blind spot? that we all--well, all logical thinkers i guess anyway--get comfortable with, since we are trained to insist via hegel and logic, A must be A at all times, and cannot, ever, be a or anything other than A, etc. And if you read the Bible like that you are going to be read i guess

Last edited:
Reactions: DNB

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I state something, and then you say I need to support it with the bible. Why? Because the bible is God's word that he handed down to humanity as a guide? No, it's not. But you all say it is huh? So I'm going to make it real easy for you to prove your point and ask you where in the bible does it say God gave Christians the bible as a guide for life and that's it? I'm going to put a few refutations for common misquotations below
1. All scripture is God breathed but that verse does not state anything about scriptures existence only being in the bible
2.The end of revelations only applies to the book of revelations, not this culmination you guys concocted.
The only thing God ever sent down was His Spirit. He sent the Spirit to guide Christians, not this culmination of writing (most of which is unreliable anyways). You may say," but it's all reliable." I'm going to ask you why is that? The only reason to believe something is true is God, so in order for the writings of a person to be held as scripture that person needs to say what God says. None of the apostles fit the bill, so you can't go believing what they say to be true because they said it. The words of Jesus are different as he was wholly in line with God, but since the apostles weren't, you can't go believing what they said just because they said it. This goes for all the other writers too. Anyways, I don't expect anyone to understand this. However, consider this a call to those who do.
i guess Paul wrote "all writings are God~breathed," graphe v gramme, so i think i'm agreeing there

seems like the Apostles played the straight man to Jesus' Court Jester most often? But imo that is intentional, and Paul seems to be an exception? Anyway i would accept the Bible as a perspective on truth--tho not actually the Book of Truth Itself, as mentioned in...Daniel?--and i would also accept that anyone insisting you must believe their interpretation of it or else a liar, as is outlined in "I would rather never eat meat again, than offend a bro" so i think i'm sort of agreeing with you there too.

i think the apostles were made to not see in the NT while ol' Josh was with them on purpose, bc they in fact did not see until later, right? Even entering Jerusalem they thought the kingdom was about to manifest? So i agree there to a point, but imo we also have to give them credit for accurately portraying themselves in that manner, as they are the NT authors, more or less, right?

so fwiw--nothing--i do read the lines of the apostles differently in the gospels than in later books, as in the gospels they seem deliberately obtuse imo

but far as im concerned test everything, and keep what is good but i personally do still hold to "The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible," mostly bc our Mithraist rather than Christian "beliefs" are plainly--well, in code, symbolism, but still very obvious imo--delineated in the Bible, Apollos waters, but also not in code at all, very plainly, No son of man may die for another's sins; No one has ever gone up to heaven, etc.

Death, More Abundantly sucks so really i dont blame you a bit
Understand why the pimps and hos are beating you in
:)

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You would not have know of anything that you just asserted, if it wasn't for Scripture. Scripture is not the Saviour, but God has determined that the means to salvation will be established and promulgated via the written word. There are many mediums to transmit the Word, but the Word is exegeted and defined, solely from the inspired writers.
so while i do agree with your point--even though Rhema is not Pneuma, but whatever--seems to me that it is a different one from the op? Although i guess you have to absorb his intent, read between the lines a little more maybe. Bc i would def run, run like the wind, from anyone telling me i had to listen to them vis the Bible.

Dunning-Kruger informs us that the more insistent a person is the less likely they are to be accurate right

Reactions: DNB

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There will be many people in the new Earth who have never heard of the Bible, let alone read it.
There will be many who have never heard of Jesus and how atonement works.
They will be like the one who asks,
What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

They are the ones who come from East and West and sit with Abraham in the kingdom. Good does not judge according to our knowledge of theology and doctrine. There will be many who got theology wrong, but have the right Spirit. But none who got theology right, but have the wrong Spirit. There are numerous examples of people who will be in the kingdom but weren't baptised... Didn't confess the name of Jesus... Didn't understand how salvation and atonement was made... But one thing they will all have in common... They will be saved because of what Jesus did for them.