Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, you got me i guess
have a nice day, Titus

criticize?
I see you are going to ignore your responsibility to teach those who asked you to show them the truth. Be ready to give an answer. You sound more like a gnostic, keeping "hidden knowledge" to one self. Never does God teach we are to withhold the truth from someone who seeks it.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who do you suppose called the believers Christian...was it, other believers or non-believers?
Both,
-1Peter 4:16
-yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
Peter being Christian referred to saints as christians.
To deny this is to deny the word of God.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
God called them by a new name, Isaiah 62:2 ...You shall be called by a new name, Which the mouth of the Lord will name.
You have to show me, God, calling them by a name by his mouth. You are yet to do so. The people of Antioch are not God. In fact, they were Idol worshippers. Those who followed were mocked for following a dead man.
The saints called one another Christians.
The saints called one another brethren.
Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Peter refers to them as christians which disproves saint of God's claim that christians in the Bible never referred to each other by that name.
1Peter 4:16,
as-yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
Learn to read and understand...If anyone suffers as a Christian. Anyone is referring to the believer... believers suffered under the name Christian. Peter is telling the believer to not be ashamed when they are called names.
This is solid evidence that Peter did call the saints christians.
Actually, it is solid evidence that you don't have a clue about church history.
To say they never called one another by that name is refuted.
You seem to be saying that the brethren mocked each other by calling one another Christian causing them to be ashamed.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Both,
-1Peter 4:16
-yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
That is not Peter calling his brethren Christian. That is Peter saying "If anyone calls you a Christian causing you to suffer shame don't be ashamed" But glorify God.
Peter being Christian referred to saints as christians.
Peter never called himself a Christian.
To deny this is to deny the word of God.
To assume Peter called himself a Christian and referred to the brethren as Christians is to falsify the word of God.

Why would Peter be calling his brothers a name given to them by the unbelievers of Antioch?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
A bit of dyslexic thinking so late, my apologies.
note
Okay, agreed yet, were not all of his letters sent to all the church's eventually? We abide by Paul's letters today, all church's. We could say then that 1 Corinthians 14:34 was only meant for the women at THAT church and, I'm guessing you would not agree with that one :contemplate:. :Happy:

My point is,
It was originally sent to Corinth where the church had many problems.

Okay, I concede here, you are correct, the wheat and the tares are the "world". I still see many tares in the church's of today though, pulpit as well as congregations.
Believers are not to have fellowship with them
I have no local church that I'd even set foot in. It is very hard to find one that does NOT teach erroneously and are either liberal and allow all kinds of sin among their people, or two other denominations I will not attend, Episcopalian and RCC. I have been to four different church's in the last 10 years and, dismissed 3 of them out of hand and the other was of the Calvinistic belief, of which I'm not but stayed a bit over 3 years anyhow but was not fed, not did I find true fellowship. Many cliques and those who looked down on others.
Can you not find one person who believes and follow the truth?
Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
You have good council, and are well versed in The Word. I would not dismiss truth no matter, just concerned as to how another might read it.
God bless,
Nancy
Thank you for understanding. Keep on seeking God
Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I see you are going to ignore your responsibility to teach those who asked you to show them the truth. Be ready to give an answer. You sound more like a gnostic, keeping "hidden knowledge" to one self. Never does God teach we are to withhold the truth from someone who seeks it.
well, i dont know much about “the truth,” and i am not much of a teacher i guess, and fwiw i would interpret that v diff too;
“Be prepared to give a defense to those” suggests to me that situation when you are helping someone, a stranger, let’s say like a Muslim maybe, that your peers are castigating you for, although i could be wrong there. “the hope” is just currently a um diff thing for you than for me Titus, so i am not meaning to be coy ok? It’s just that a complete reply by me would likely not work for you, really the same way yours would not work for me i guess

noticed yet how a passage can change for you, over time? One day you realize that the story of Legion is describing you, or…stuff like that?

isnt gnostic best described as “one who knows?” bc i dont :)

so anyway, im sorry i dont have the capacity to provide the responses that would serve you right now, like a good teacher would, but a lot of that is a matter of being able to say what the other can hear imo, and we are just in…such diff places? i guess most of my replies are not going to be much use to you. But fwiw sometimes, weeks later even, the right thing to say will pop into my head, and ill come (tediously) track this convo down and say it

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Denominations are divisions. You cannot be in a sectarian church that has split off of the one true church, Romans 16:16, and still be in that one true new testament church. Therefore it is impossible for there to be true Christians in every church for denominations are not the one true church(body) of Christ where all the saved are, Ephesians 5:23,
-for the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.(church) Jesus is only going to save those in His church(singular)
are you a Catholic then, i take it?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.
Much of Jesus' message of revelation to the world, was to say "Follow Me"--which is what being a Christian means. In doing so, we go to God for eternity, just has He did. Here are a few passages of His invitation:

BIBLE SEARCH RESULTS​

1. Matthew 4:19
    Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Matthew 8:22
    But Jesus said to him, “Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”
  3. Matthew 9:9
    As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
  4. Matthew 9:27
    When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, “Son of David, have mercy on us!”
  5. Matthew 10:38
    And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
  6. Matthew 16:24
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
  7. Matthew 19:21
    Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
  8. Matthew 19:28
    So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
  9. Matthew 20:29
    Now as they went out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominations are divisions. You cannot be in a sectarian church that has split off of the one true church, Romans 16:16, and still be in that one true new testament church. Therefore it is impossible for there to be true Christians in every church for denominations are not the one true church(body) of Christ where all the saved are, Ephesians 5:23,
-for the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.(church) Jesus is only going to save those in His church(singular)
You mention Jesus as being the Head of the body. How is it then that you do not know that a body has many [different] members? (Rhetorical) This you should have also perceived. Keep studying.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not Peter calling his brethren Christian. That is Peter saying "If anyone calls you a Christian causing you to suffer shame don't be ashamed" But glorify God
Wrong. You changed what Peter said. You have no authority to change the word of God,
Peter : -yet if anyone suffers as a Christian let him not be ashamed...
Saint of God: -if anyone calls you a Christian causing you to suffer..

Peter: :as a christian
Saint of God: anyone calls you a Christian

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mention Jesus as being the Head of the body. How is it then that you do not know that a body has many [different] members? (Rhetorical) This you should have also perceived. Keep studying.
Give me the passages that prove your interpretation.
Bible beliefs demand Bible answers

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, i dont know much about “the truth,” and i am not much of a teacher i guess, and fwiw i would interpret that v diff too;
“Be prepared to give a defense to those” suggests to me that situation when you are helping someone, a stranger, let’s say like a Muslim maybe, that your peers are castigating you for, although i could be wrong there. “the hope” is just currently a um diff thing for you than for me Titus, so i am not meaning to be coy ok? It’s just that a complete reply by me would likely not work for you, really the same way yours would not work for me i guess

noticed yet how a passage can change for you, over time? One day you realize that the story of Legion is describing you, or…stuff like that?

isnt gnostic best described as “one who knows?” bc i dont :)

so anyway, im sorry i dont have the capacity to provide the responses that would serve you right now, like a good teacher would, but a lot of that is a matter of being able to say what the other can hear imo, and we are just in…such diff places? i guess most of my replies are not going to be much use to you. But fwiw sometimes, weeks later even, the right thing to say will pop into my head, and ill come (tediously) track this convo down and say it
Since you only tell me I am wrong about Gods new name being Christian but give no answers.
You need to keep quiet until you know yourself.
Also, I dont care if your answer doesn't fit my beliefs. I want a response.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are you a Catholic then, i take it?
Do you think the catholic church is not a denomination?
If you believe it is the Lords church, you better be in it.
As for me, no, I'm in the Lords body.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give me the passages that prove your interpretation.
Bible beliefs demand Bible answers
I can do that...but how is it that you also do not know that I was quoting the scriptures. My point is, if you do not know the scriptures, you should not be speaking as if you know them and have the authority to comment on their meaning. Discuss them, yes, ask questions, yes--but do not speculate, for it is a disservice to the truth. Speak only what you know by God with authority.

Also--I was not giving you my "interpretation", but quote the biblical facts. But, here:

But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.​

And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.​
I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, 26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints.​
For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.​

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can do that...but how is it that you also do not know that I was quoting the scriptures. My point is, if you do not know the scriptures, you should not be speaking
Thats you speculating. You have not even giving me time to respond to your first criticism about me supposedly not knowing.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can do that...but how is it that you also do not know that I was quoting the scriptures. My point is, if you do not know the scriptures, you should not be speaking as if you know them and have the authority to comment on their meaning. Discuss them, yes, ask questions, yes--but do not speculate, for it is a disservice to the truth. Speak only what you know by God with authority.

Also--I was not giving you my "interpretation", but quote the biblical facts. But, here:

But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.​

And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.​
I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, 26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints.​
For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.​
Good! and thankyou. I wish others on here would give answers.
Now please tell me in all those excellent verses you gave, count how many bodies there are and that will give you the answer.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This makes it concrete,
Ephesians 4:4,
-There is one  body and one Spirit just as you were called in one hope of your calling.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Since you only tell me I am wrong about Gods new name being Christian but give no answers.
You need to keep quiet until you know yourself.
Also, I dont care if your answer doesn't fit my beliefs. I want a response.
oh well i mean go with “Christian” if you like T, does it matter that much really? bc irdk
anything. Ever. “It’s really quite relaxing” DGently

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Do you think the catholic church is not a denomination?
If you believe it is the Lords church, you better be in it.
As for me, no, I'm in the Lords body.
Well, imo they are the main repository of the cult of sol…and also some of the greatest people!
weird, huh

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good! and thankyou. I wish others on here would give answers.
Now please tell me in all those excellent verses you gave, count how many bodies there are and that will give you the answer.
I did already in that previous post: 1 Corinthians 12:12
This makes it concrete,
Ephesians 4:4,
-There is one  body and one Spirit just as you were called in one hope of your calling.
That certainly leans to there being one body, but that particular passage does not include all that 1 Corinthians 12:12 does about being a body of many members. So, yes, one body, but one body of many members, which denominations mostly qualify as.

Status
Not open for further replies.