Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Much of Jesus' message of revelation to the world, was to say "Follow Me"--which is what being a Christian means. In doing so, we go to God for eternity, just has He did. Here are a few passages of His invitation:
That is all you got from Jesus? Follow me? So why don't you follow him and speak the truth? Where does Jesus say follow me means to be a Christian? Please show us the passage.

BIBLE SEARCH RESULTS​

1. Matthew 4:19
    Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Matthew 8:22
    But Jesus said to him, “Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”
  3. Matthew 9:9
    As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
  4. Matthew 9:27
    When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, “Son of David, have mercy on us!”
  5. Matthew 10:38
    And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
  6. Matthew 16:24
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
  7. Matthew 19:21
    Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
  8. Matthew 19:28
    So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
  9. Matthew 20:29
    Now as they went out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him.
Nothing here says "follow me" means to be a Christian.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Wrong. You changed what Peter said. You have no authority to change the word of God,
Peter : -yet if anyone suffers as a Christian let him not be ashamed...
I am explaining something to you...Do you expect me to repeat what you do not understand?
Saint of God: -if anyone calls you a Christian causing you to suffer..
What did the people of Antioch do? Did they not call believers Christians? Did Peter say if anyone suffers as a Christian or not? please show evidence of anything else the people of Antioch did to cause believers to suffer. Peter makes it clear that believers were ashamed. because he said," let him not be ashamed". Obviously, the suffering had to do with being ashamed about being called a Christian..
Peter: :as a christian
Saint of God: anyone calls you a Christian
Peter: suffer as a Christian...Please show what the people of Antioch did to cause believers to suffer as Christians apart from calling them Christians...

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did already in that previous post: 1 Corinthians 12:12

That certainly leans to there being one body, but that particular passage does not include all that 1 Corinthians 12:12 does about being a body of many members. So, yes, one body, but one body of many members, which denominations mostly qualify as.
Now you need to define members by the scriptures.
Ephesians 4:11-12,
-And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists and some pastors and teachers.
-for the equipping of the saints(people, members,christians) for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body(church) of Christ.

You understand there is one body(church) and many members of that one body.

A body has a head, Jesus
The body has members, arms, legs, feet, hands.
Different members make up different spiritual gifts God has given. Natural born with abilities these days.
God has given every single person at least one or more "talents.
He expects us to use those abilities in spiritual work for the Kingdom
Matthew 25:14-30.

Bible make it clear one body.
But many members.
Now watch this.
Since one body, many members must make up that one body! Simple.

Body is the ONE church. Body is many members.
Church of Christ. One Body
Baptist church. Another Body or Just members of that one body?

Two bodies or One?
Church of Christ One body.
Baptist church another body.
Catholic church another body
Mormon church another body
JW's church another body
Seventh day Adventist church another body
Presbyterian church another body
Lutheran church another body
Red cross church another body
Wesleyan church another body
Methodist church another body
Greek orthodox church another body
Penetcostal church another body
Universalist church another body
Concordant church another body
Apostolic church another body
Rastafarianism another body
Disciples of Christ another body
Christian church another body
Church of Christ scientist another body
Agape church another body
Hebrew roots another body

Friend, these are not members of the one body.
These are members of another body.
This is what Paul condemns.
No one with a shed of honesty can say all these bodies are as Paul commanded,
1Corinthians 1:10,
-Now I plead with you brethren by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you All speak the Same thing and that there be No Divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the Same Mind and in the Same judgment.

The members must all be in that one body.
1Corinthians 12:12,
-Now I say to you, that each of you says I am of Paul, or i am of Apollos or i am of Cephas or i am of Christ.
IS CHRIST DIVIDED? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius.

Why Paul? Why are you glad you did not baptize these brethren that have formed sects, factions, denominations? Next verse gives the answer.

15 -lest anyone should say I baptized in my own name.

Only Christians are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Any other church other than Christ's, you have been baptized into it.!

What do all these churches have in common? All have different doctrines.
What did Paul have to say about that?
1Timothy 1:3,
-as I urged you when I went into Macedonia-remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine.

What doctrine does His church follow?
Acts 2:42,
-and they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in prayers.

Did you know the catholic body(church) has two heads?
Head supposedly Christ and really the Pope.
Two heads attached to one body!
That's a two-headed monster!

But also is a Head(Christ) with thousands of bodies.
Ephesians 4:4,
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling.

Ephesians 4:16,
-from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists and some pastors and teachers.
-for the equipping of the saints(people, members,christians) for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body(church) of Christ.

A body has a head, Jesus
Different members make up different spiritual gifts God has given. Natural born with abilities these days.

But many members.
Now watch this.

Two bodies or One?
JW's church another body

-Now I plead with you brethren by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you All speak the Same thing and that there be No Divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the Same Mind and in the Same judgment.

-Now I say to you, that each of you says I am of Paul, or i am of Apollos or i am of Cephas or i am of Christ.
IS CHRIST DIVIDED? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Why Paul? Why are you glad you did not baptize these brethren that have formed sects, factions, denominations? Next verse gives the answer.

-as I urged you when I went into Macedonia-remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine.

-and they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in prayers.

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling.

-from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

It’s painfully obvious that nobody ever sat you down and taught you about Church History.

Once upon a time, in the 1st century – there was ONE Church.
Jesus ONLY established ONE (Matt. 16:18). By the end of the 1st century, it was known as “The Catholic Church” (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrnaeans, 107 AD).

Contrary to His fervent prayer that His Church remain ONE (John 17:20-23) - men broke away from His ONE Church over the centuries. The most massive exodus from His ONE Church occurred in the 16th century as large numbers of men began inventing new doctrines (i.e., Eternal Security, Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide).
THESE
are the origins of the factions known as Protestant denominations.

They are called “denominations” because they are splinters from the ONE Church that Jesus built – but with different names. Sadly, this trend continues to this day to the tune of tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering factions that ALL teach different doctrines – while ALL claiming to have been “led” to this confusion by the Holy Spirit.

Never confuse the Original Tree of Christianity, the Catholic Church, with the splinters . . .

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s painfully obvious that nobody ever sat you down and taught you about Church History.

Once upon a time, in the 1st century – there was ONE Church.
Jesus ONLY established ONE (Matt. 16:18). By the end of the 1st century, it was known as “The Catholic Church” (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrnaeans, 107 AD).

Contrary to His fervent prayer that His Church remain ONE (John 17:20-23) - men broke away from His ONE Church over the centuries. The most massive exodus from His ONE Church occurred in the 16th century as large numbers of men began inventing new doctrines (i.e., Eternal Security, Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide).
THESE
are the origins of the factions known as Protestant denominations.

They are called “denominations” because they are splinters from the ONE Church that Jesus built – but with different names. Sadly, this trend continues to this day to the tune of tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering factions that ALL teach different doctrines – while ALL claiming to have been “led” to this confusion by the Holy Spirit.

Never confuse the Original Tree of Christianity, the Catholic Church, with the splinters . . .
1Timothy 4:1-3
-Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
-speaking lies in hypocrisy having there own conscience seared with a hot iron,
forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
-For every creature of God is good and nothing is to be refused if it is received with Thanksgiving.
-For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Timothy 4:1-3
-Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
-speaking lies in hypocrisy having there own conscience seared with a hot iron,
forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
-For every creature of God is good and nothing is to be refused if it is received with Thanksgiving.
-For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Like I said before – your ignorance of Church history is painfully-obvious.
Allow me to educate you . . .

One of the first heretical movements in the Early Church was that of the Gnostics. What Paul is talking about is 1 Tim. 4 are some of their heresies and aberrant practices like forbidding marriage, forbidding certain foods, which they condemned as “evil”. They also condemned ALL material wealth.

The Catholic practice of not eating meat on Fridays during Lent is a discipline – and NOT a matter of doctrine. This is also true for priestly celibacy – which Paul actually ENDORSED as a more excellent way of serving God (1 Cor. 7:12-40).
Paul is condemning the beliefs and practices of the GNOSTIC heretics – NOT the Catholic Church.

Do your homework . . .

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all you got from Jesus? Follow me? So why don't you follow him and speak the truth? Where does Jesus say follow me means to be a Christian? Please show us the passage.

Nothing here says "follow me" means to be a Christian.
Oh, so you just want a quote, not the definition.

"Christian", look it up.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I can do that...but how is it that you also do not know that I was quoting the scriptures. My point is, if you do not know the scriptures, you should not be speaking as if you know them and have the authority to comment on their meaning
ikr? im like even putting them in italics, and on an ipad i have to do it the hard way lol

Reactions: ScottA

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Give me the passages that prove your interpretation.
Bible beliefs demand Bible answers
i understand that you seek facts and proof right now Titus, and i wouldnt dissuade you ok
(“under the law”)
but there is a better way
it isnt called What is it? for nothing bro

and The Pearl…well, guess we’re meant to dig for that one

you dont think they are called “beliefs” precisely bc they are subject to change?
if you were to list like five of your “beliefs” i could maybe show you a little “truth,” maybe

Truth: that thing that you do not want to hear

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A body has a head, Jesus

But many members.
Now watch this.

Two bodies or One?
JW's church another body

Okay, what you are saying is good and right.

However, such divisions are not so much the problem or cause, but rather the symptom of a much bigger problem which was foretold of our time. That being "false teachers" entering into the church corrupting doctrine, and the believing of "a lie" that has caused "strong delusion." Even so, this was by design--as Christ said, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

And yet He also told us, "Do not be troubled."

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I am explaining something to you...Do you expect me to repeat what you do not understand?

What did the people of Antioch do? Did they not call believers Christians? Did Peter say if anyone suffers as a Christian or not? please show evidence of anything else the people of Antioch did to cause believers to suffer. Peter makes it clear that believers were ashamed. because he said," let him not be ashamed". Obviously, the suffering had to do with being ashamed about being called a Christian..

Peter: suffer as a Christian...Please show what the people of Antioch did to cause believers to suffer as Christians apart from calling them Christians...

Oh, so you just want a quote, not the definition.

"Christian", look it up.
.Please show what the people of Antioch did to cause believers to suffer as Christians apart from calling them Christians...

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, what you are saying is good and right.

However, such divisions are not so much the problem or cause, but rather the symptom of a much bigger problem which was foretold of our time. That being "false teachers" entering into the church corrupting doctrine, and the believing of "a lie" that has caused "strong delusion." Even so, this was by design--as Christ said, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

And yet He also told us, "Do not be troubled."
Well Jesus was just telling it like it is. Like say some very unwise folks who really believe if we all just love one another there will be peace on earth. These folks also literally believed that if they could get lsd into every single person on earth it would bring enlightenment and thus no more wars.
Reality check, here comes Jesus with the cold hard facts. True love is not going to bring peace but division. Is everyone going to love the truth? Of course not. Jesus being God knows this. But it was never His desire that some would reject Him as the calvinist's teach. Jesus died that all might be saved, John 3:16.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i understand that you seek facts and proof right now Titus, and i wouldnt dissuade you ok
but there is a better way
it isnt called What is it? for nothing bro

and The Pearl…well, guess we’re meant to dig for that one

you dont think they are called “beliefs” precisely bc they are subject to change?
if you were to list like five of your “beliefs” i could maybe show you a little “truth,” maybe

Truth: that thing that you do not want to hear
Not interested in your ideas

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the first heretical movements in the Early Church was that of the Gnostics. What Paul is talking about is 1 Tim. 4 are some of their heresies and aberrant practices like forbidding marriage, forbidding certain foods, which they condemned as “evil”. They also condemned ALL material wealth

The Catholic practice of not eating meat on Fridays during Lent is a discipline – and NOT a matter of doctrine. This is also true for priestly celibacy – which Paul actually ENDORSED as a more excellent way of serving God (1 Cor. 7:12-40).
Catholism is an amalgam of some apostolic doctrine mixed with paganism. I put gnosticism in the pagan religion category. Gnostic ideas are part of catholic doctrine. Mary perpetual virginity
as an example. Sex is filthy in catholic teaching, this is why Mary mother of God would never engage in it. Mary raised to diety.
Hebrews 13:4,
-Marriage is honorable among all and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

Gods word teaches the exact opposite,
Matthew 1:25,
-and did not know her(intercourse) till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus.

Catholics could have very well been on Gods mind when the Spirit revealed,
Colossians 2:16,
-So let no one judge you in food or drink or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths.

This are Jewish traditions but they are not the only religion that practise and bind such things.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.

Cut away all the Window Dressing, and there are only Two Religions in this World.....the Cain religion where people offer up their works to try to be “ Worthy” Of Salvation or the Abel Religion where people put their Faith in the Shed Blood Of an Innocent One to become “ MADE” Worthy Of Salvation.....The former will damn you and the latter will save you.....the actual details and the endless forms that the Cain Way entails makes no difference....the results are always the same....

Last edited:

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago

A body has a head, Jesus

But many members.
Now watch this.

Two bodies or One?
JW's church another body
You are being silly ...How many churches in Revelation? The word church represents a gathering in some cases. It represent Jesus is some cases. Therefore one must take the context into consideration
Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Lets not forget his name is Yeshua/ Jesus.

This makes you a part of the problem. You do not speak the samr thing as jesus. jesus never called his followers Christians.
You are not making any sense, You are saying that people are christians before they are baptized into Christ. You just quoted..Now I plead with you brethren by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you All speak the Same thing and that there be No Divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the Same Mind and in the Same judgment.

Then you go right ahead to make your own doctrine.

Those churches all call themselves Christians that is what they have in common. God did not call anyone to be a Christian.

Cathlolics are christians, and you are a christian...I know this because you and catholics post in places on this forum where only christians are allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.