Where was the Sabbath Abolished?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not Moses, but Christ giving this..

Yes - but Christ wasn't speak to you - He was speaking to Moses!!

So don't you need to get to know Him personally?? What did come through Moses hearing Him?

Deut 30:14 “But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.

Do you not read that the word we are preaching is near YOU, and that so YOU may observe it!!

Yet you think that what Moses wrote is going to save you instead of what the Lord speaks to you personally saves you!!

Who might these verses spoken by Jesus apply to:

Jn 5:38-41“You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.
“You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;
and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
“I do not receive glory from men;

Jesus Christ does not receive glory from men, even Moses, but through His Holy Spirit who brings His words personally to your spirit, if you care to open up to Him! But if you don't believe what Moses wrote then how are you going to hear His words that are near you?

Jn 5: 46,47 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.
“But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

People - Jesus Christ said He would never leave you - so He sent His Holy Spirit - but who will let Him come into you so that you may hear from Him and Him from you?? That is the GOOD NEWS - that you can and Him and be one so that you can find rest in Him!!

Rev 3:19,20 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.
‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So are you going to repent of your ways and open up to Him so as to hear His voice or not?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath (God's rest) was not abolished--it was established.

YES - However we are not saying it 'was' established, but 'is' established in us personally when we truly accept Jesus Christ into our lives!

And accepting Him into our lives means we hear from Him - and so His words are found in our mouth and in our hearts, right?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES - However we are not saying it 'was' established, but 'is' established in us personally when we truly accept Jesus Christ into our lives!

And accepting Him into our lives means we hear from Him - and so His words are found in our mouth and in our hearts, right?

"Is" and "was" are both correct, in that our rest, God's rest, is "in Him" who was and is, and is to come, but lived and died for our salvation in His own time, and even before the foundation of the world. It is the rest of God that brings us into His timeless and eternal presence where we too cans say we are the same yesterday, today, and forever "in Him." Therefore, we may be alive and remain within the six days leading up to the seventh day. But if we have passed from death to life answering His knock at the door and letting Him in, we have attained His rest already and are also seated in heavenly places with Him, just as He has already attained it and we are in Him and He in us...already. Such is the blessing of the first resurrection.

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Is" and "was" are both correct, in that our rest, God's rest, is "in Him" who was and is, and is to come, but lived and died for our salvation in His own time, and even before the foundation of the world. It is the rest of God that brings us into His timeless and eternal presence where we too cans say we are the same yesterday, today, and forever "in Him." Therefore, we may be alive and remain within the six days leading up to the seventh day. But if we have passed from death to life answering His knock at the door and letting Him in, we have attained His rest already and are also seated in heavenly places with Him, just as He has already attained it and we are in Him and He in us...already. Such is the blessing of the first resurrection.

The above post is pretty well stated - the problem or issue between saying it was established in us and it is established in is comes from our view of the Holy Spirit being in us or was in us! Both might be and true that we did let asks the Lord into our lives and that the Holy Spirit was sent into our lives - and also true that He that the Holy Spirit is in our lives. So the question is about how do we view this??

Do we say in our hearts that the Holy Spirit was established or is established? This difference is written about in Galatians:

Gal 3: 1-3 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified
This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

The Galatians were indeed Christians, having the Holy Spirit sent to them, but they were "bewitched" (attacked by the enemy) so they have forgotten that had received the Spirit by hearing with faith and not by works of the Law!

So if I am saying, "it was established" I am forgetting that it is about hearing, not heard, but Holy Spirit by faith!!
Indeed the devil wants us to think the hearing by faith as something that was established, but not something that is supposed to happen now - "Today".

It is for this reason that many fall away from the Lord!

We tend to say to ourselves something like - 'I asked Jesus Christ into my life and so I was established'
as opposed to saying to ourselves something like - 'I asked Jesus Christ into my life and so He is established and I need to seek Him Today.'

Both maybe and are true, but the second view point results in seeking to hear from Him now!! Where as the first results in being sent back to the Law and trying to live by that instead of every word the proceeds now out of the mouth of Him who is always with you!!

This why I issued the correction, though both are true. It might seem like semantics, but it is a trick the devil plays to stop up from looking to what is established in us to what was - eg the Law.

It really is the same trick Satan was trying to pull on Jesus in the desert when He tested Jesus by telling Him to make bread out of the stones, but maybe that has not yet be fully explained by the Lord to us personally??

Since Jesus has always been the Word of God, meaning that He has always listened to His Father and done and said only what the Father told Him, and since His words our spirit and our life to us (Jn 66:63), then He is the true bread that came down out of heaven! So Satan was trying, in that time of testing, to get Jesus to stop making it about hearing with faith and turn to going by the stones the Law was written on and handed down in the desert. Satan was trying to "bewitch" the Lord but the Lord answered and proceeded correctly i that time of testing, by pointing out that man (which is truly was at that time) must live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God - so not by the Law and words handed down in the past but the hearing by faith in the present!!

I hope I made that clear?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is talking about the commandments he gave his disciples. It would be a mistake to think that Jesus was talking about keeping the Ten Commandments because Jesus is a Jew talking to other Jews, and by LAW, they are required to keep the Ten Commandments.

Suppose I told Zoe I would demonstrate my love for her by obeying the speed limit. I might say, "Zoe, I was going to get you some flowers, but I decided to obey the speed limit instead." She will look at me and say, "Nice try, buddy."

Loving someone is different than doing our duty. Love goes above and beyond duty and obligation. Love delivers kindness, generosity, and mercy even when we least expect it, even when duty is contrary to love.

"What does Jesus mean when he says 'keep my commandments'? Our initial interpretation might be 'obey my commandments,' but I believe Jesus intends for his disciples to focus on the other meaning of 'keep.' He is using the word 'keep' in the sense of 'keep safe' or 'preserve.' He wants us to ensure that his commandments continue, to hold them dear, and to remember and cherish them always. Furthermore, we should teach them to others and live by them in our daily lives."

Jesus' commandments are a commentary on the law, explaining the full and profound meaning of the Law. For instance, the Law teaches us that God forgives repentant sinners. Jesus clarified that to say that if we are unwilling to forgive our brother, then God will not forgive us. He taught his disciples, "If your brother has something against you, then put your offering down and make peace with your brother. Then make your offering in the temple. Thus, if we love Jesus, we will keep and cherish and practice what Jesus said about the Law, Life, and God.

Bottom line, the Ten Commandments are featured in the Law of Moses and remain an aspect of the MT. Sinai covenant. Jesus' commandments go above and beyond Moses. As a Gentile I am not obligated to keep Moses, but as a Gentile, I am obligated to follow my Lord and keep his teachings.
Christ as the Creator made the Sabbath and did it for man and wrote it with His own finger, so its clear whose commandments are being declared here.

Reactions: Karl Peters

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Sabbath was abolished, there would be many verses and much text to show it, yet there is none
There is no abolishing of the Sabbath...
The New Testament and Covenant exists....probably in your Bible too.

They are the result and focus of the Sabbath.

The "Sabbath " in the Decalogue (ten commandments) is singular...NOT PLURAL. As in there is only one...and it is not a collective singular. (Hebrew doesn't contain that part of speech)

The Sabbath Commandment was all about the end of the Old Covenant and the beginning of a new one. And it's here....been here for 2,000 years now.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ as the Creator made the Sabbath and did it for man and wrote it with His own finger, so its clear whose commandments are being declared here.
Did Jesus tell his disciples that he created the Sabbath or that he was Lord of the Sabbath?

And why do you suppose Jesus might teach his disciples to do something they were already doing?

And why do Sabbatarians always focus on the Ten Commandments as if those were the only commandments in the Bible?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah it is clear, if someone was to talk to the Creator!!

It is clear that the Creator always wanted us to talk to Him everyday called "Today"!!

And if a person talks to Him they find rest!!

But it is clear by reading the Scriptures, that His people tend to say in their hearts, "Let not God speak to us" so they will not ever find rest! Even through all eternity, they will not find rest, because our rest will truly come went His rest comes - and that comes after the day He finishes His work, which is that all (including those who will not listen to HIm) are either listening to Him and finding rest now, Today, or they have truly decided not be believe in Him who is there to talk to them.

So what hope do the religious person, who leans on their own understanding, have?

Well - it is the same hope that anyone can have and that is in Him - but they only pretend obedience to Him - so Today they do not find rest, and so the Law was given to them with the Sabbath Day here on earth was a sign to them that they don't listen to Him and find rest in Him!
Given the Sabbath (a day in the week dedicated to Him) was His work and effort to get them to actually listen to Him, if they might. And that sign so they will have no accuse on that Judgement day!

Do you still fail to understand that the real Sabbath Day - the Day of Rest - is after Jesus (the Word of God who is God the Son) has completed His work of trying to get people to come to God through Him?

If you don't understand this, it is because you don't listen to Him! You don't seek first the Kingdom of God (as in the King and His Kingdom)! You then don't sincerely pray that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven - or do you not know that He has His angels serving and working with Him and His Father to this day, even on Saturday and Sunday, to this day to try and convince people to actually seek Him and listen to Him.

My friends or anyone willing to listen: Seek the Lord your God will all your heart and you will find Him. You will hear from Him via His Holy Spirit. You will hear the Spirit in words (that small speaking to you in words) in which you hear with your spirit. You will then be able to enter in and out and find rest there - even on that day called "Today" - but who here truly understands that?

Still they look to the Law as if following the Law by their own understanding will save them! So they write things like " wrote it with His own finger". Yeah He did! But we are saved by faith and faith comes from hearing not reading!! Or did you not even read that?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus tell his disciples that he created the Sabbath or that he was Lord of the Sabbath?

And why do you suppose Jesus might teach his disciples to do something they were already doing?

And why do Sabbatarians always focus on the Ten Commandments as if those were the only commandments in the Bible?

Yes - nice post:

If we listen to Him personally, does He not teach us personally? It's not that He won't use people, but it is that we get to know Him: the Teacher!

And since He does teach, it is understandable that not everyone has gotten a complete teaching on the Sabbath and the meaning. In fact, since the real Sabbath (when He and His Father stop working because their work is done) it is really that none of fully understand, because Jesus explained that He and His Father are still working!

So it was the Jesus was teaching His disciple about the Sabbath, and those religious Pharisees hated Jesus for it!!
We read about that in the Bible, right?
So it is that the religious people of Today, who don't listen to Him have the least understanding about the Sabbath, and they hate Jesus for it!

Still, they don't want to listen to Him and what His Holy Spirit has to say. Still they say in their hearts, "Let not God speak to us" so Today they harden their hearts against Him" The Living and Active Word of God"

Which is why He swore that they would not enter His rest!!!

Therefore their going to a church or synagogue on a Saturday or Sunday did not get them rest. It was not truly devoted to Him, since they didn't seek Him and His voice. So it did them no good - because only God is good and they didn't actually find Him!!

Reactions: amadeus

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you do on the Sabbath?
What do we do on the Sabbath?

We live eternal life, moment by moment, in heaven with Jesus Christ - of course!!

So what we call the Sabbath here on earth is a sign to us for what is to come forever!

So how is it we do not know that the Sabbath, in the Law, is not a sign for what happens when the Father and the Son rest with us? Did we not read about it being a sign? Do we not talk to the Lord about it??

Ex 31:13 “But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

Lev 24:8 “Every sabbath day he shall set it in order before the LORD continually; it is an everlasting covenant for the sons of Israel.

Do we not remember when and how work came upon us?

Gen 3:17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;
Cursed is the ground because of you;
In toil you will eat of it
All the days of your life.

We were not meant to "toil" in order to get what we need to live. Did not God command and things came into being. So if one with God and a being with the Holy Spirit indwelling us, how then is it we "toil" at all?

Well - things had to be made right again. So when we don't listen to the Lord and walk with Him, then we loose our rest and wind up with toil, as it is now - even everyday called Today now.

Yet men leaning on their own understanding of the Law handed down to those who said, "Let not God speak to us" do understanding because Jesus Christ is Understanding and the Word of God and they don't want to listen to Him! Of why did they ask this question here and not to Him? Is He not there, intimate friend? Is not His Holy Spirit then Wisdom, bring you the wisdom to seek Him?

Prov 7"4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
And call understanding your intimate friend;

Ok - I am probably going over things, which I got from Him, that are not yet well understood. Yet why are they not well understood?

Heb 5:11 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

So I explain about seeking Him and hearing from Him so that you might practice hearing Him, even on everyday called Today, and not to put other down, but to help them by encouraging to seek the Lord Today! Will not doing that mature them as Christians?

Heb 3;13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

So there is a day, "Today", when we need to listen to Him, walk with Him, and get our rest in Him. And that day is Today, because we pray daily, Thy will be done on earth as in Heaven, right. And do they "toil" in heaven, or did that not happen when men fell?

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People - There were a people who argued with Jesus Christ while He was on earth, and they like to argue about the Law of the Sabbath! So were those people not supposed to be His people? Yet He told them that they did not have His word abiding in them - they simply were not willing to listen to Him, even from the time Moses brought them to the mountain! Yet they were just people, like us, and do we not say we are grafted into the Jewish root?

So here we have a thread, arguing about he Sabbath. Who then is saying in their hearts, "Let not God speaks to us," and who are actually seeking to hear from Him so that the find Him and listen to Him?

Did not Jesus give His disciples teachings, even while that other group challenged Him about the Sabbath?

My friends, He is Lord over the Sabbath, your rest and work!

So are you going to continue to lean on your own understanding, or perhaps we could start repenting of our ways and actually seek Him and what He says to us "Today"?

keltzkroz

Dec 15, 2023
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We live eternal life, moment by moment, in heaven with Jesus Christ - of course!!

So what we call the Sabbath here on earth is a sign to us for what is to come forever!

So how is it we do not know that the Sabbath, in the Law, is not a sign for what happens when the Father and the Son rest with us? Did we not read about it being a sign? Do we not talk to the Lord about it??

Ex 31:13 “But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

Lev 24:8 “Every sabbath day he shall set it in order before the LORD continually; it is an everlasting covenant for the sons of Israel.

Gen 3:17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;

We were not meant to "toil" in order to get what we need to live. Did not God command and things came into being. So if one with God and a being with the Holy Spirit indwelling us, how then is it we "toil" at all?

Well - things had to be made right again. So when we don't listen to the Lord and walk with Him, then we loose our rest and wind up with toil, as it is now - even everyday called Today now.

Yet men leaning on their own understanding of the Law handed down to those who said, "Let not God speak to us" do understanding because Jesus Christ is Understanding and the Word of God and they don't want to listen to Him! Of why did they ask this question here and not to Him? Is He not there, intimate friend? Is not His Holy Spirit then Wisdom, bring you the wisdom to seek Him?

Ok - I am probably going over things, which I got from Him, that are not yet well understood. Yet why are they not well understood?

Heb 5:11 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

So I explain about seeking Him and hearing from Him so that you might practice hearing Him, even on everyday called Today, and not to put other down, but to help them by encouraging to seek the Lord Today! Will not doing that mature them as Christians?

Heb 3;13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

So there is a day, "Today", when we need to listen to Him, walk with Him, and get our rest in Him. And that day is Today, because we pray daily, Thy will be done on earth as in Heaven, right. And do they "toil" in heaven, or did that not happen when men fell?

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.
Who is "we"?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What gives glory and love for God, not hard to figure out...

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can a person honor God by taking every Wednesday off work?

Of course what give honor and glory to God is talking to Him every day.

One Sunday, at church, while they sang praise songs to the Lord, and I sung quietly so nobody would hear my voice, because I don't carry a tune - I again talked to the Lord and told Him 'that I can't sing. I can't worship you Lord".

He instantly responded telling me, "Karl, if you want to worship me listen to Me and do what I ask,".

So was anyone, even on the Sunday, in that church, crowded with perhaps a thousand people, were they all talking to Him like me, or just singing the songs?

How about on Wednesday, while at work or not at work? What difference does it make, being at work or not. Should we not worship Him everyday, and rest in what we hear from Him?

I have to do something, whether it is in church or at a job. And it can be work for me to try and sing a song when I can't carry a tune, and that far more work for me than to listen to the Lord while doing what I do in running the business that He personally asked me to do and talks to me on as I do it. He even sends His angels to minister to me, and help me do the business that He has me doing.

So yes indeed, A person can honor God by taking every Wednesday off if they do it because He asked them to. Yet a person does not honor God if the go to church and sing by never talk to Him and get to know Hime personally!

So what then is the purpose for the question, "Can a person honor God by taking every Wednesday off work???

So it is that He just asked me to ask a question on this forum: That question is how do we interpret this verse:

Amos 5:21 “I hate, I reject your festivals,
Nor do I delight in your solemn assemblies.

Do we not know that we honor God by making Him our Lord, and so we listen to Him and do what He askes us personally to do??

Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So don't you need to get to know Him personally?? What did come through Moses hearing Him?

Deut 30:14 “But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.

Do you not read that the word we are preaching is near YOU, and that so YOU may observe it!!

Yet you think that what Moses wrote is going to save you instead of what the Lord speaks to you personally saves you!!

Jn 5:38-41“You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.
“You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;

Jesus Christ does not receive glory from men, even Moses, but through His Holy Spirit who brings His words personally to your spirit, if you care to open up to Him! But if you don't believe what Moses wrote then how are you going to hear His words that are near you?

Jn 5: 46,47 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.

People - Jesus Christ said He would never leave you - so He sent His Holy Spirit - but who will let Him come into you so that you may hear from Him and Him from you?? That is the GOOD NEWS - that you can and Him and be one so that you can find rest in Him!!

Rev 3:19,20 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.
‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So are you going to repent of your ways and open up to Him so as to hear His voice or not?
So how do you read this text...

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do you read this text...

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

The Holy Spirit once told me:

"We don't use the Lord to preach the Scriptures, we use the Scriptures to preach the Lord."

You that backwards so you misunderstand the verse!!!

Moses wrote the Scriptures!! So him "expounded unto them in all the scriptures" did not mean he was "expounding" the scriptures but rather "the things concerning himself"!

In other words, Moses was testifying to what happen to himself and how it concerned God!!

The Scriptures are a testimony, and did you not read that the Lord put a testimony in Jacob??

If we are indeed offspring of Abraham, spiritually speaking, so that we walk and talk with the Lord because we believe in Him, we then testify/expound "the things concerning ourselves!!

Which I just did above by giving you a testimony above about one of the things that God told me via His Holy Spirit.

So I use the Scriptures, even the one you posted, Hobie, to point people to the Lord and to expound the things that concerned me!! Because if I was told ""We don't use the Lord to preach the Scriptures, we use the Scriptures to preach the Lord." - what could you expect to hear from listening to the Lord via the Holy Spirit?

Do you not know that the Holy Spirit is always about making Jesus Christ our Lord? So the Holy Spirit Himself is not about making the Scriptures our Lord, because or course the Scriptures are testimonies and not a living person so as to be the Lord, so the Holy Spirit Himself will use the Scriptures (those testimonies God had the write) and even the testimonies others have today, to encourage people to seek our Lord Jesus Christ and listen to Him, via that same Holy Spirit of God!!

That is the problem the religious Pharisees and Sadducees had. They were unwilling to actually seek the Lord, because they wanted to lean on their own understanding instead of seeking the voice of the Lord, so they did not understand the Scriptures nor the traditions! So they failed to know who Jesus Christ was, even though he personally stood in front of them and spoke!!

Yet Moses stood in front of God on the mountain and listened!! And Moses wrote about it! Moses even explained that the word was near those same rebellious people back then, explaining that the word was near them - but they too were not willing to listen to Him, though Moses wrote "BOOKS" (that a part of the Bible to this day) expounding on "the things concerning himself"!

So even if I write an exceptionally long post expounding the things concerning me - meaning how the Lord our God is there to speak to me, and if me you too, you still will not believe, will you?

Note: that is a question I asked! Will you start seeking Him and His voice and start listening to Him?

Moses told those people then, and wrote it down:

Deut 8:20 “Like the nations that the LORD makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you would not listen to the voice of the LORD your God.

So again I advise you to seek the Lord your God and listen to Him!! But I don't really need to know if you listen to Him or not! The Spirit testifies and it all becomes apparent- because people tend to write and expound on ""the things concerning" ourselves!

That is all I am doing. He the LORD OF LORDS AND KINGS OF KINGS, Jesus Christ came into my life and now we talk. I don't talk to Him as much as I should, but only about a dozen different times a day. Yet that means I can count or remember all the things He told me. But I too write down some of what He told me, because he says such awesome things, and does awesome things to. I can tell you about hundreds of miracles He has done around me and more. Still the foremost command from God is "Hear, O Israel" - so then not "Read, O Israel", even though the first words I heard from Him were, "Read Your Bible". That was not the foremost command! But the reading gave me the wisdom to seek Him, what about you. Did you read the testimonies and not then find the wisdom to seek Him?

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Being able to give you the wisdom that lead to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus, does not mean you reading DID give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus! You could be thinking the Scriptures give you salvation? That happened with others!

Jn 5:3-,40 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit once told me:

"We don't use the Lord to preach the Scriptures, we use the Scriptures to preach the Lord."

You that backwards so you misunderstand the verse!!!

Moses wrote the Scriptures!! So him "expounded unto them in all the scriptures" did not mean he was "expounding" the scriptures but rather "the things concerning himself"!

In other words, Moses was testifying to what happen to himself and how it concerned God!!

The Scriptures are a testimony, and did you not read that the Lord put a testimony in Jacob??

If we are indeed offspring of Abraham, spiritually speaking, so that we walk and talk with the Lord because we believe in Him, we then testify/expound "the things concerning ourselves!!

Which I just did above by giving you a testimony above about one of the things that God told me via His Holy Spirit.

So I use the Scriptures, even the one you posted, Hobie, to point people to the Lord and to expound the things that concerned me!! Because if I was told ""We don't use the Lord to preach the Scriptures, we use the Scriptures to preach the Lord." - what could you expect to hear from listening to the Lord via the Holy Spirit?

Do you not know that the Holy Spirit is always about making Jesus Christ our Lord? So the Holy Spirit Himself is not about making the Scriptures our Lord, because or course the Scriptures are testimonies and not a living person so as to be the Lord, so the Holy Spirit Himself will use the Scriptures (those testimonies God had the write) and even the testimonies others have today, to encourage people to seek our Lord Jesus Christ and listen to Him, via that same Holy Spirit of God!!

That is the problem the religious Pharisees and Sadducees had. They were unwilling to actually seek the Lord, because they wanted to lean on their own understanding instead of seeking the voice of the Lord, so they did not understand the Scriptures nor the traditions! So they failed to know who Jesus Christ was, even though he personally stood in front of them and spoke!!

Yet Moses stood in front of God on the mountain and listened!! And Moses wrote about it! Moses even explained that the word was near those same rebellious people back then, explaining that the word was near them - but they too were not willing to listen to Him, though Moses wrote "BOOKS" (that a part of the Bible to this day) expounding on "the things concerning himself"!

So even if I write an exceptionally long post expounding the things concerning me - meaning how the Lord our God is there to speak to me, and if me you too, you still will not believe, will you?

Note: that is a question I asked! Will you start seeking Him and His voice and start listening to Him?

Moses told those people then, and wrote it down:

Deut 8:20 “Like the nations that the LORD makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you would not listen to the voice of the LORD your God.

So again I advise you to seek the Lord your God and listen to Him!! But I don't really need to know if you listen to Him or not! The Spirit testifies and it all becomes apparent- because people tend to write and expound on ""the things concerning" ourselves!

That is all I am doing. He the LORD OF LORDS AND KINGS OF KINGS, Jesus Christ came into my life and now we talk. I don't talk to Him as much as I should, but only about a dozen different times a day. Yet that means I can count or remember all the things He told me. But I too write down some of what He told me, because he says such awesome things, and does awesome things to. I can tell you about hundreds of miracles He has done around me and more. Still the foremost command from God is "Hear, O Israel" - so then not "Read, O Israel", even though the first words I heard from Him were, "Read Your Bible". That was not the foremost command! But the reading gave me the wisdom to seek Him, what about you. Did you read the testimonies and not then find the wisdom to seek Him?

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Being able to give you the wisdom that lead to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus, does not mean you reading DID give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus! You could be thinking the Scriptures give you salvation? That happened with others!

Jn 5:3-,40 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
Is that what this means @Karl Peters

2Co 3:2
Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
2Co 3:3
Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Our life is our testimony, and we are as a book that the world can read when they see the way we conduct ourselves?
That the bible is filled with the testimonies of others who have gone before and they are the books we read how they conducted themselves?
As our examples to either follow or not follow depending on the character of the testimony of the person we are reading about.

Are you saying, instead of using the scripture to preach about the Lord.
Use the scriptures to preach according to how they are applied to our story and our walk with the Lord ?
How the scriptures lead us, and thus we become the epistle or the letter that people read regarding our story?

Is that what this means:

Thank you
Hugs

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And how does He speak to us if not through His Word, and not just a few verses that we pick and choose, but the whole Word, New as well as Old Testament, and as it says 'precept upon precept; line upon line,'