Where was the Sabbath Abolished?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To ignore the fact that he intended to fulfill the old in order to establish the new is to completely ignore Jesus' message of the cross. Forgiveness rested on his words, and not on a resort to prescriptions under the Law.

Do we not know that Jesus was around in the beginning???

So do you think the Law is the old? Is not Jesus Christ even the ancient of days???

Enoch was before the Law was handed down - how do we miss that?
Abram / Abraham was before the Law - how do we miss that fact?
Moses, listen to the Lord before the Lord handed down the Law through him - how do we miss all this basic facts found in the Bible and come to the conclusion that "he intended to fulfill the old in order to establish the new"???

That was not how it was supposed to work!!! We were supposed to listen to the Lord from the beginning!!!!

When Enoch was not found, where do you think he went?
When Abram's faith was reckoned to him as righteousness, what do you think happened to Him? Did not Jesus tell a story about Abraham being asked a question, even about getting some water, from a man in a bad place? And that actually before Jesus hung on the cross!

Luke 16:24 “And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'

And where did Elijah go when pick up by the wind? Was not both Moses and Abraham seen at the mountain of transfiguration?

We were always supposed to listen to the Son of God, Jesus Christ, because He was always the Word of God, doing and saying only what the Father told Him!!

The Law then was handed down because we didn't and don't listen to Him!!

What was said at the mountain that Moses and Elijah were seen on?

Mat 17: 4,5 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three [fn]tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, “This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!”

That too was before the cross!! Did not even Moses command them in the name of God to hear - "Hear, O Israel"

So how long before we really make it about doing what is commanded by God???

Do we not even know what the foremost commandment is???
It is "Hear, O Israel!, is it not???

Mark 12:29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;

It was always supposed to be about hearing Him and obeying Him, and by that command you understand that the LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD, just like we read:

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ is the LORD OUR GOD, and the Holy Spirit tells you that!! And we know that His name is called "The Word of God", because His Father gave Him the very words of God!

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
Jn 16:15 “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

So Jesus owns, even as a possession, the very words of God, because His Father gave all things, which would include the very words of God, to Him. And He sends His Holy Spirit with His words, the words of God, to speak to our spirit, if we care to listen!

Jn 16: 13,14 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

And it was always supposed to be that way! But some don't believe!

Jn 6:63,64 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life
“But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him.

And the prophets knew it was always supposed to be that way, for they wrote that the word of the Lord (Jesus Christ, via His Holy Spirit) came and spoke to them!!

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying,
“Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.”

2 Sam 7:4 But in the same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, saying,
1 Kings 6:11 Now the word of the LORD came to Solomon saying,
1 Kings 17:8 Then the word of the LORD came to him, saying,
1 Kings 21:27 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying,
2 Ch11:2 But the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah the man of God, saying,

And He, the word of the Lord/ Word of God, was the One who the creation was made through!!

Ps 33:6 By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host.

So how is it that we are saying "he intended to fulfill the old in order to establish the new is to completely ignore Jesus'?

Indeed, it was the ignoring Jesus Christ and Him as the Word of God (meaning He speaks to us0 which He did not intend, that caused the Law to be handed down!! Men had to realize they are sinners (because they would not listen to the Lord) so the Law had to be given!! Men had to realize that the only way to righteousness is through listening to THE LORD OUR GOD! That was always the only way, and so it was never really done away with!

So the Law was given to show us that we needed to listen to Him, which we do not do like we should! Indeed, it was the Law by which sin actually entered in, because before the Law was handed down, we could not be held accountable for doing something wrong, because we didn't know we were doing wrong by not listening to Him, since we didn't listen to Him. We had shut off our ears so we would not hear and know that we were doing wrong. So the Law was written and we became guilty before God! We read about this, right?

Romans 5:20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

Yet by this the Lord could be shown to be greater than death!

Rom 5:21 so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Transgression were not intended, though God knew! Listening and obeying were always intended, but we say "let not God speak to us."

So the Law was given that the Lord might be glorified above all things, and that so those who believe can find eternal life in Him. Yet know, that if you believe it means you do listen to Him!! So there is really only one question we all need to have!

Gal 3:2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

So where does the Sabbath stand in all this? It is that your rest comes from hearing the Lord by faith!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do we not know that Jesus was around in the beginning???

So do you think the Law is the old? Is not Jesus Christ even the ancient of days???
Well, of course, brother! God is from eternity. Jesus is, as the Word, from eternity. That is not how, in context, I'm using the word "old." I'm talking about an outdated covenant. In that sense, it is now "old," without any regard for how old it is.
Enoch was before the Law was handed down - how do we miss that?
Obviously, those who lived either before the Law or during the Law were not yet focusing on the "new."
When Abram's faith was reckoned to him as righteousness, what do you think happened to Him?
Obviously, the faith of saints was a temporary form of righteousness until Christ rose from the dead and transferred to us the same rights.
The Law then was handed down because we didn't and don't listen to Him!!
Israel was given the Law--not Christians. We have a New Law, if you will. It is an eternal righteousness because Christ rose from the dead and transferred to us the same rights. This is *not* the Law of Moses, even though the Law was the product of God's Word. It was a temporary covenant meant to lead Israel to the eternal covenant of Christ.
So how long before we really make it about doing what is commanded by God???
We are indeed to follow and obey God's Word. But it is no longer the Law that was given to Israel. It was designed to keep people in covenant relationship with God. But the Law was a temporary fix. Christ brought a permanent fix.
So how is it that we are saying "he intended to fulfill the old in order to establish the new is to completely ignore Jesus'?
Abandoning the old for the new is *not* ignoring Jesus! It is precisely what Jesus predicted, not that he would confirm Israel's eternal relationship with God through the Law, but that he would confirm God's forgiveness would come apart from the breaking of the Law, through him alone. That is his word.
So where does the Sabbath stand in all this? It is that your rest comes from hearing the Lord by faith!
No, Jesus confirmed that he would have to die, because Israel as a nation completely failed under the covenant of Law, with all of its 613 requirements, including the Sabbath Law. If we don't hear this, we've missed the Gospel.

Reactions: Karl Peters

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law, including keeping the Sabbath, is about love!!
Though keeping God's commandments can be motivated by love for God, keeping the Sabbath isn't about Love. Keeping the Seventh day Holy is about remembering the Sabbath Day, the day when God rested. And the salient issue is a coming day of rest, a day of Shalom, when God's people will be freed from their enemies and able to worship God in peace.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, of course, brother! God is from eternity. Jesus is, as the Word, from eternity. That is not how, in context, I'm using the word "old." I'm talking about an outdated covenant. In that sense, it is now "old," without any regard for how old it is.

Obviously, those who lived either before the Law or during the Law were not yet focusing on the "new."

Obviously, the faith of saints was a temporary form of righteousness until Christ rose from the dead and transferred to us the same rights.

Israel was given the Law--not Christians. We have a New Law, if you will. It is an eternal righteousness because Christ rose from the dead and transferred to us the same rights. This is *not* the Law of Moses, even though the Law was the product of God's Word. It was a temporary covenant meant to lead Israel to the eternal covenant of Christ.

We are indeed to follow and obey God's Word. But it is no longer the Law that was given to Israel. It was designed to keep people in covenant relationship with God. But the Law was a temporary fix. Christ brought a permanent fix.

Abandoning the old for the new is *not* ignoring Jesus! It is precisely what Jesus predicted, not that he would confirm Israel's eternal relationship with God through the Law, but that he would confirm God's forgiveness would come apart from the breaking of the Law, through him alone. That is his word.

No, Jesus confirmed that he would have to die, because Israel as a nation completely failed under the covenant of Law, with all of its 613 requirements, including the Sabbath Law. If we don't hear this, we've missed the Gospel.

I like most of the above post, and I understand that it represents the most common line of thinking in the church. And I get what is being said and the thinking behind it. Indeed, in general I don't think it is all that bad of thinking except it really missing the important part of Christianity, and that is the personal relationship that we need to have with Jesus Christ!!!

Let me explain:

If we truly get understanding, and Jesus is Understanding, we then get a personal relationship with the King of Kings and Lord or Lords - through Him and for whom all things we made - even from the beginning!!

And that is how is we always meant to be!! Adam and Eve were supposed to walk with God, and I am referring to the Word of God, Jesus Christ!!! It was and is still the way it is meant to be!!

The Law was handed down thru Moses, which did happen some thousands of years ago, but even that time is extremely short relative to time eternal! Indeed, did we not read in the Bible who men lived hundreds, even close to a thousand years? So was the Law the "Old" covenant - or was calling on the Lord and listening to Him the "Old Convenient"

Gen 5: 10-12 Enosh lived ninety years, and became the father of Kenan.
Then Enosh lived eight hundred and fifteen years after he became the father of Kenan, and he had other sons and daughters.
So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.

Enosh means weak, sick, mortal, so men had to call upon the Lord and with him men were calling on the Lord instead of just walking with Him all the time, right? So even when sick and mortal, men live a long time if they even call upon the Lord - before the more recent Law was handed down.

Still if then Enoch (not Enosh) walked and talk with the Lord and instead of just calling on Him as needed, and what happens with Him?

Enoch mean comes from a word mean dedicated or trained up. So we are not talking about someone who is sick and calls upon the Lord, but someone who is dedicated and who is being taught of God! That person walks and talks with the Lord daily, as opposed to just calling on the Lord when they need help!

Gen 5:22 - 24Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters. So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.
Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

Where did God take this man, Enoch, who walked with God 300 years and was dedicated and train up by God? Was it the same place that Jesus was taken to after three days in the grave and was seen ascending?

I put it to you that there was a covenant before the Law!!
And I believe that cross was to help us get back to that covenant, where we can again walk and talk with the Lord so that all those saved (taken by God) will be by the covenant of hearing by faith - as in walking and talking with the Lord our God whom we say we believe in! That is the Lord covenant - it is the covenant we see with Abram:

Gen 15:4-6 Then behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, “This man will not be your heir; but one who will come forth from your own body, he shall be your heir.”
And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.”
Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

So I wonder - When we write or say "We are indeed to follow and obey God's Word" as is seen in the post from 'Randy Kluth' above:

Do we mean 'We are indeed to follow and obey the Scriptures'? - do we mean "We are indeed to follow and obey Jesus Christ whose name is called the Word of God because He personally speaks to us?"

Which is it? Is it walking and talking to Jesus Christ, the Word of God, like Enoch and Abram, neither of which had Scriptures written down for them - or are we to lean on our own understanding of what we read in the Scriptures and lean on our own understand of them to do what we think in right and according to them?

So do we have eternal life because "We have a New Law, if you will. It is an eternal righteousness because Christ rose from the dead and transferred to us the same rights." - like Randy Kluth posted?

Or do we have eternal life because we talk and talk with Jesus Christ everyday called Today?

If we have eternal life just because of a "New Law" because Jesus Christ rose from the dead, then what part did faith play in that? Have we just not written a "New Law"?

Yet if it is walking and talking with Jesus Christ like before with Enoch and Abram, then the cross was to fulfil the Law that Moses handed to men who said 'Let not God speak to us' so that we are no longer subject to that Law but again only subject to walking and talking with Jesus Christ by faith!!

Therefore I see that what Randy Kulth sounds good!! And that conclusion I might even say 'ALLRIGHT, I HAVE ETNERAL LIFE BECAUSE JESUS WENT TO THE CROSS - SO I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN AND OBEY HIM!!!"

Yet I can not make that conclusion - because I have heard from Him and do talk with Him daily, and know that His thoughts are not my thoughts!! His thoughts in fact are better than my thoughts!! So I want to hear from Him; at least I do when I decide I want reproof from Him so that I listen to Him!!

I find Him quite an interesting person to walk and talk with. You see I get these conclusions which I like, which might even be a lot like Randy's conclusions, which is to say that my religion (which is my understanding of God ) will save me. Yet when walking and talking with Him, it turns out that my understanding and my thinking is not going to save me, only He is. So to try and keep my understanding straight, I have to listen to Him and keep turning back to Him to listen and talk with Him!!

It turns out that I am not saved because Jesus went to the cross, I am saved because I believe in Him, and if I believe in an omni-present God then I must talk with Him Today, right? Then the cross was to prevent the Law from keeping me from walking and talking to Him!! And if there is a "New Law" that is not about just walking and talking with Him, then what use is that to me. It is just one Law taking the place of another Law, and a Law really can not take the place of my Lord who walks and talks with me, like He did with Enoch! Or should we go back to that sick moral man who only called on God when he needed, like Enosh? Maybe that will even get you to live a long life, but will it get you to eternal life?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though keeping God's commandments can be motivated by love for God, keeping the Sabbath isn't about Love. Keeping the Seventh day Holy is about remembering the Sabbath Day, the day when God rested. And the salient issue is a coming day of rest, a day of Shalom, when God's people will be freed from their enemies and able to worship God in peace.

Keeping the Sabbath is indeed about our love for God and nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is our understanding is poor because we don't listen to Him!!!!

Did not Adam and Eve have rest in the Garden when they were with God?
And we Christians tend to talk about a quite place we get into with the Lord - a place where we just spend some quite time with Him, right?

So the Sabbath, was not about Saturday, or Sunday, or any religious tradition, but about us going into that place where He is at!!!!! And that is heaven, even the Kingdom of God, is it not?? Of course it is. That place is where we find our rest, and so the day we go there is the Sabbath Day!! Still we show a severe lack of understanding about that place!! And that is because understanding does not come from leaning on our own understanding, but rather listening to Him!!

Therefore both out understanding or lack of it, and or not getting the rest in HIm that He wants is a direct result of us not listening to Him!! This can be seen in the following verses:

Prov 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Prov 3:5-8 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones.

Is 28: 12,13 He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,” And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen.
So the word of the LORD to them will be, “Order on order, order on order,
Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there,”
That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive.

Do we not see in the Bible where we need to listen to Him and that is how we enter into His rest???
And what day are we to listen to Him - is it not "Today"?
So Today is the day to enter into His rest and Today is the day to listen to Him - to walk with Him - Today then is the Sabbath day - is it not? What day should we have as a Sabbath day, if not that day called "Today" - and perhaps if that day only comes around once a week for a person even that might be enough - but consider making every Today the Sabbath day!

Did we not even read where the Lord is the Lord of the Sabbath? So is the Lord the Lord over our Today?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I put a longer more detailed understanding in the post above - but it you can't understand it trying this which is really the same thing:

It was always intended that we would abide by resting (trusting comfortably) in Him!

And we get in that place by listening to Him and making our lives about Him and what He tells us.

But because people would not listen to Him He handed down rules (The Law), and if they were able to follow it then they could still get to heaven and not hell. Yet they were never going to be able to follow The Law good enough, because they were not going to have the understanding to do so. So the Law was the least that they should do, but they could not even do that without talking to Him. Therefore the point of the Law was to show men that they need the Lord.

The least you should do is to get with God at least one day a week, but even our going to church does not get men listening to God!! It just turns people to religion, which is our understanding of God and not His. The religious leaders still didn't listen to God, so the people were not told to listen to Him - eg "Hear, O Israel" So even in the churches people did not get their rest in God! They still would not listen!!

Therefore Jesus found it that way when He took on flesh! And the people killed Him!

We know that we kill someone spiritually speaking by turn our backs on them so as to not listen to them, and since God is Spirit and Jesus Christ is God, even the Word of God, we killed Him both spiritually and physically, because what is done in the heavens tends to manifest in the spiritual. It is written what you loose in heaven is loosed on earth, right? And death to the Word of God, Jesus, was loosed on earth. And still is!

Yet our rest is in heaven! So to loose our rest on earth it must first be loosed in heaven! We must stop turning our backs on Jesus and lsiten to Him, and so He is the Lord of our rest - our Sabbath! But we only think in spiritual terms, so we make it about Saturday or Sunday instead of Today! We just don't understand because we just don't listen to Him!!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping the Sabbath is indeed about our love for God and nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!
Given the proper understanding, I would agree with you. It depends if one is talking about Keeping the 4th commandment as recorded in the book of Exodus, then keeping the Sabbath was more than a love for God. Keeping Moses was part of the Mt. Sinai covenant, and as such, applied strictly to the descendants who came out of Egypt at that time.

We we are talking about Christians who keep the Sabbath, then we keep the Sabbath day in remembrance of the coming day of Rest when all believers will be gathered to Jesus and live in peace and prosperity.
Did not Adam and Eve have rest in the Garden when they were with God?
Maybe. But keeping the Sabbath not only involves resting from labor, it also involves meditating on that coming age. We focus our minds on that coming day and remember why that coming age will be significant.
And we Christians tend to talk about a quite place we get into with the Lord - a place where we just spend some quite time with Him, right?
Yes, we Christians do that.
So the Sabbath, was not about Saturday, or Sunday, or any religious tradition, but about us going into that place where He is at!!!!! And that is heaven, even the Kingdom of God, is it not??
Christians don't go to heaven. We go to be with Christ, who will rule over the earth.
Of course it is. That place is where we find our rest, and so the day we go there is the Sabbath Day!!
Yes, exactly.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Given the proper understanding, I would agree with you. It depends if one is talking about Keeping the 4th commandment as recorded in the book of Exodus, then keeping the Sabbath was more than a love for God. Keeping Moses was part of the Mt. Sinai covenant, and as such, applied strictly to the descendants who came out of Egypt at that time.

We we are talking about Christians who keep the Sabbath, then we keep the Sabbath day in remembrance of the coming day of Rest when all believers will be gathered to Jesus and live in peace and prosperity.

Maybe. But keeping the Sabbath not only involves resting from labor, it also involves meditating on that coming age. We focus our minds on that coming day and remember why that coming age will be significant.

Yes, we Christians do that.

Christians don't go to heaven. We go to be with Christ, who will rule over the earth.

Yes, exactly.

First of all we are not trying to keep the commandments we are trying to walk with the Lord and do was He tells us!! Doing that will mean you keep the commandments because they all came from Him, but again we are not trying (putting effort) into keeping the Law but rather into our personal relationship with the Lord!!! Did we not read that the Law was fulfilled through Jesus Christ? Do we not even understand what that means? It means listen to Him, right? We read about how men lives by every word that proceeds out of His mouth - so then not by the words the had proceeded out of His mouth the that do proceed out of His mouth to us personally!! It is the "Hear, O Isreal" commandment and not the commandments of the Law, because you are not ever going to be able to keep them by your own understanding, but only by listening to Him - so through Him!!

Now the problem with this statement - "We we are talking about Christians who keep the Sabbath, then we keep the Sabbath day in remembrance of the coming day of Rest when all believers will be gathered to Jesus and live in peace and prosperity. " is that the day we are to remember Him is "TODAY"!!!

Heb 3:7-11 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, “TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,
DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME, AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS,
WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED Me BY TESTING Me, AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS.
“THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION, AND SAID, ‘THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART,
AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS’; AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

If you want to remember something - remember that we have to be hearing from Him "TODAY"!! So we might remember how they did not listen to HIm on that day called "TODAY" so did not enter into His rest!! Not on any Saturday, not any Sunday, and not any "TODAY"!! Not then, not Today, and not any day in the future if that does not change!! So we preach The Word, Jesus Christ, and that to be listening to Him "TODAY"!

Did we not read:

Jn 10:2-4 “But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep. “To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. “When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.

and Jn 10:9 “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."

So that place of rest and pasture is found by entering through Him, and note that is reads "will go in and out"!!

So there is a place of rest and a time where we go in, then a time when we come out!! Do we not know that place? Do we Christians not even know about getting into that place with Him where we talk with Him and find that peace that He has for us??

Also, what is a "day" to the Lord? Is it one spin of earth? Is that not worldly/earthly thinking? Is it not a period of time that we do a thing?
It is written that His thoughts are not my thoughts, and what an understatement that turned out to be!! And one, though not the only reason for that, is that He thinks in heavenly/spiritual terms and not in is earthly/physical terms - where as we think in earthly/physical terms and not heavenly/spiritual terms!! Therefore one day He gives me a teaching, and then the next day another teaching, but any teaching might be a week on earth, or perhaps and hour on earth. We read things like how a thousand years might be a day to Him, right? Our timing is based on the rotation of the earth, but His is not!! We get that understanding by listening to Him, though there are references in the Bible that explain it also. Yet leaning on our understanding never gives us the understanding that we need!

I remember how he once clearly told me that He was taking me to a certain place tomorrow to get my hair cut. Then exactly one week later He told me to go there. Thereby getting my hair cut in both a physical sense and a earthly sense - because spiritually speaking that stuff (wisdom) that comes out of our head (spiritually speaking) is like our spiritual hair - or have I given you too much? Well, talk to Him and listen and He will give you teachings 'TODAY' and every 'TODAY', and that when you have entered His rest!

I think I brought up this verse in earlier posts - it connects our listen with our getting rest - or not listening and not getting His rest, like the verses above in Hebrews -

is 28:12He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,”
And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen.

And so it was also written:

Is 28: 23,24 Give ear and hear my voice,
Listen and hear my words.
Does the farmer plow continually to plant seed?
Does he continually turn and harrow the ground?

His words are the seed that He places in us, but will we listen? Will the seek (His words spoken to us) take hold and grow or will they always wither and die in us? So how long should He continue to turn back and plant more of His words in us who should be hearing from Him "TODAY"?

Therefore this statement "But keeping the Sabbath not only involves resting from labor, it also involves meditating on that coming age. We focus our minds on that coming day and remember why that coming age will be significant. " Makes no sense!! Indeed, it is non-sense!!

It denies that "TODAY" is the day to hear Him! And we do not meditate on that coming age, because we meditate on what we are hearing from Him "Today". It is not so much what is coming that is "significant" but what is in our midst that is "significant"!! Did we not read:

Romans 10: 6-8 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down),
or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).”
But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

What happens all too often, is that even "Christians" like the Jews back then, were saying in their hearts that Jesus was not available now to be heard from. They say that He is either dead and has not yet risen into heaven or that He did ascend into heaven that heaven is some far off place so that we cannot reach Him Today to hear from Him! Is this not the reason that you fail to understand what I am telling you?

Jesus Christ ascended up into heaven and sits on the throne of God in the Kingdom of God as the KING OF KINGS, but that heavenly Kingdom of God is found in our midst!! So we can talk to Him, even by hearing from His Spirit speaking to our spirit. And since we have access to the King than also access to the Kingdom of God via His Holy Spirit working in us! And that all happens now for us believers! We seek first the Kingdom of God, just like it is written, and we find it just like it is also written:

Deut 4:29 “But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul.

Yet they didn't find Him, even though Moses explain about the word being near them! Because it is also written:

Deut 30:18 I declare to you today that you shall surely perish. You will not prolong your days in the land where you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess it.

and Moses told them"

Deut 30:19 “I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

So again, as seen in the above verse, that day call "Today", and the witnesses in heaven who testify against those who did not listen to Him "Today"! So did we choose life in order that we might live? We know that His words that He speaks to us via the Holy Spirit are what gives us life, right? And those to be heard "Today", right? Or do we say that a day will come when judgement will come to the unbeliever, not realizing that "Today" is that day!

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Antinomianism, is considered a heresy. It's the idea that Jesus did it all and we need not do anything.

Jesus was Lord,even of the Sabbath. He did not abolish his laws,nor the prophets. He fulfilled them,which means,kept the laws perfectly.

His Sabbath day of rest was made for us. We were not made to serve the Sabbath.

Let no one judge you if you honor the Sabbath day of rest. God doesn't send you to Hell for honoring his gift.

He may have something to say to those who condemn Sabbatarians, however.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord didn't tell you to keep the Sabbath day.

YES of course HE tells me to keep the Sabbath Day and that it is "Today" - but how is it you do not know that??

When the Lord came into my life the first words He told me were "READ YOUR BIBLE".. those words came with power so as to feel like someone hit me on the side of the head. Therefore I read the Bible all the way through and it took me 9 months reading a little each do to that. And not have heard much at that point in my life, I felt the Sabbath Day was Sunday, the day my parents used to take me to church. Yet that of course was just leaning on my own understanding of the Bible, and not actually listen to the Lord daily for years. And that was over 20 years ago.

Then after that, and right after that, I started hearing the Lord. I had figured it out while driving to work on day, that if the Lord is always with us, and God is spirit like the Bible explains, then perhaps I could talk to Him inside me, which I already believed, and I could also hear from Him inside me! But I felt I needed to test that idea out, even though it was written that the word of God we preach is near us - in our hearts and mouth. So I drove down the freeway to work and started asking the Lord which lane I should be in!

I got a response each time I asked Him, but the first two responses were, "You're ok.", but was that Him or just my thinking. Still, that thought said "You're ok" as if someone was talking to me. And when a live of big trucks were coming down the on ramp in front of me; I decided to get over to the left another lane. But before I got over I asked again, "Lord what lane should I be in", and the response was get in the right lane. With that response I got upset and told the Lord, "I don't want to be in the right lane, I want to be in the left lane." To which He responded that small calm quite voice of His inside me, "Well, do you want to listen to me or not?""

And that is the question I have for you sir!

Do you want to listen to Him or not???

On that drive to work I truly found the Lord our God, Jesus Christ. And from over twenty years of walking and talking with Him, I wound up learning from Him during that 20 years. And I passed on good teaching from Him, but some don't believe in Him, and just pretend to!

Now in those earlier years of knowing Him, He asked me to specifically take a day and actually a time from 5 PM on Friday to 5 PM on Saturday to make that time about hearing Him and walking with Him.!! That was my Sabbath Day, per Him, but He still had me going to church on Sunday, because the church He had me going to meet then. So even in my early years of getting to know Him, my Sabbath Day was not the day I went to church to meet with other Christians and hear a sermon!! And you can beat and be sure that those at that church felt Sunday was their Sabbath Day, because that we the day they went to church.

Now over the last 20 plus years or talking to Him, He has given me far more understanding!

I remember the day, which was like any other day called Today, I was eating at a fast food restaurant and talking with Him when He told me: "Karl; Understanding is understanding that I am Understanding, understand?"

He has often told me little bits of wisdom like that, and they are indeed so full of wisdom that it seems impossible to even comprehend it!

Have you not read:
Prov 7:4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
And call understanding your intimate friend;

Jesus Christ is to be your friend - your Understanding, and that is what you find out from the Holy Spirit who goes by the name Wisdom, right?

Prov 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

So it is that the Holy Spirit (Wisdom) is sent by God to speak the words of God which He gets from Understanding (Jesus Christ) who got them from His Father (Knowledge) - Or have you not have that saying in the Bible explained to you by Understanding via the mouth of His Holy Spirit? Do you listen to Him as you walk with Him? If so you know that He speaks in parables and dark saying - and He will explain them to you if you listen, right?

Ps 78:2 I will open my mouth in a parable. I will utter dark sayings of old,

Therefore the Sabbath Day instruction is in a parable or saying - or did God lie when having the Bible written?

Over the 20 plus years of walking and talking with Him it turns out that the rest He has for us was never about not working or laboring, but was always about just walking and talking with Him. It turns out that He sat aside a day in the Law, one day a week, that perhaps even on that day if a person was to put that day aside just for Him, they might actually start listening to Him and start receiving the words of God via His Holy Spirit who gets them from the Son, Jesus Christ, who got them from His Father. That day - Saturday or Sunday (whatever) was a day He was hoping that you would actually come to know Him by listening to Him!!

Yet people made it about a Law to go to church and not a Law that was just meant to get them (those who say in their heart "Let not God speak to us") to change their mind and heart and start actually seeking Him!!

So those people never came to listen to the Lord because they never got Understanding (Jesus Christ) in their hearts or even coming out their mouth!!

So if you explain to them that our rest is always found in Jesus Christ, they don't understand that means listening to Him as the Word of God! They never ever get Understanding in them!! So understanding is not their intimate friend and wisdom is not like a sister to them.

So if you tell them that "Today" is the day to walk and talk with Him and so is the Day truly put aside as the Sabbath Day; they can not understand, because they don't know Understanding!! Understand?

They will then ask a silly question, though they don't even understand that it is a silly question, like: "The Lord didn't tell you to keep the Sabbath day."

Of course He did!!! He is adamite about me keeping the Sabbath Day: Even everyday called "Today" He wants me to put it aside as the Day to walk and talk to Him!!!

So again I ask you: How is it you do not know this?

Heb 3:7 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says,
“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,
DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS [fn]WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME,
AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS,
WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED Me BY TESTING Me,
AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS.
THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION,
AND SAID, ‘THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART,
AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS’;
AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH,
‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

So I encourage you Today to make this day, which is "Today" to be the Sabbath Day for you. Is it labor to walk and talk with the Lord our God as your friend Today. Even if you have something to do, even something that pays you for doing it, will He as your intimate friend not walk and talk with you Today and help you with it?

Have we not read: Mat 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." or even the Lord's prayer in which the first thing asked for is thy kingdom come. And if the Kingdom of God is allowed into your heart, is not then the King on the throne then in our heart and there to be heard from?

Therefore again - Today is the Sabbath Day in which we rest in the Lord, no matter what you are doing today!!

Practice actually listening to Him "Today" and this will become clearer and clearer to you. Or ask Him and if you listen He will even explain it to you - at least He did to me. But maybe He is still trying to get a person to understand. It took me a while walking with Him to fully understand why He wrote it in the Law, as explained above, even though in heaven everyday is about walking and talking with Him.

My friends - If you care to believe - you will find that Jesus Christ is not only the Lord of the Sabbath but that saying means that He Lord's over any and all rest you get "Today". It was never about Saturday or Sunday, but always about putting Today aside for walking and talking with Him. Perhaps you can start that on a Saturday or Sunday, but it's better if you start walking and talking with Him Today!!

Heb 5:11 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how would you read this texts...
John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Have you not read about the Law of His mouth?
Or did you not read about how Satan told Him to make bread out of theses stones and was rebuke by Jesus pointing out that man must live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Proceeds is a current tense, right?

What you fail to understand is that the Lord is with us always!! So we are to listen to Him always! You perhaps read something about praying unceasingly?

You keep thinking about the Law Moses handed down to a people who said, "Let not God speak to us> - they were unwilling to listen to Him so keeping the Sabbath was written down - as in the 10 commandments! But is was never supposed to be like that, but we were always meant to walk and talk with Him, so that the commandments are the instructions He personally gives you!! Which is why Moses commanded them , "Hear, O Israel" - but they would not listen!! So they were stuck trying to keep the Law which was written in stone - those stones in the desert that Satan told Jesus to make into bread! Yet the bread that comes down from heaven is the word of God to us personally, as in every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God - that is to say what Jesus Christ says to us via His Holy Spirit. It is only those words that give us life!!

Those words are the words that proceed out of His mouth - as opposed to proceeded ( past tense). And it is those words which are the Law of His mouth! Do you not know that what a King speaks is Law? So we fulfil the Law of God by listening to Him and not by leaning on our understanding!!

Do you not know that when we are resurrected we are going to be like the angels in heaven? And do you not know that because God is omnipresent, they always are in the presence of God to get instructions personally from Him? And if we are going to be like them, should we not now start learning how that is - meaning should we not now start listening to Him and following His voice Today?

Yet if you do not listen to what comes out of the mouth of God to you Today, then perhaps the best you can do is go to church on Satuday or Sunday and hope the person leading the congregation can give you a relatively short message they got from hearing God - if in fact that are not leaning on their understanding, like you, also. Yet even Moses, forget to listen to the Rock in front of the congregation, which kept him from going into the promise land - physically speaking.

So them saying they would do what Moses told them was a lie, and even Moses couldn't always listen to the Rock, Jesus Christ, while speaking to them. So perhaps you should make it about you seeking the Lord and listening to Him - praying unceasingly - and maybe you can do better? BTW - Abram heard the the word of the Lord speking to him and believed it was Him, the Lord our God, and that was counted as righteousness to him, and that before the Law was handed down in stone to the rebellious people. Are you trying to be like them?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The children of Israel were kept in bondage to Pharaoh for 400 years. They were slaves and worked 7 days a week.
God sent Moses to free the children from bondage and brought them into the wilderness where God gave them his Sabbath day.
But the people were stiffnecked and they rebelled against God.
He told them when he sent them manna to keep the sabbath day and not go looking in the fields because the manna wouldn't be there.
But they didn't listen.
So God wrote the commandment in STONE. Now it became a do or die situation. Because they wouldn't listen, God made it a LAW.

Then God sent us Jesus. Who not only is the manna sent from heaven, he is also the Sabbath which God gave man to rest in.
Jesus said this himself when he said:
Mat 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

This is exactly what he did for the children escaped of Egypt. God gave them rest. And this rest was His day he rested in.
And now we rest IN the Lord. Jesus is our Sabbath.

And we get to rest in him for eternity. Beginning To Day.

Heb 3:15
While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
Heb 3:16
For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
Heb 3:17
But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Heb 3:18
And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19
So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

First God freely gave man His Sabbath..under grace:
Exo 16:29
See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

Then when they disobeyed it bacame LAW:

Exo 20:9
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

When Jesus came He owned the Sabbath:
Mat 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

And he offered us once again the Grace to come and enter in and rest:

Mat 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Now it is no longer a LAW. You won't get stoned if you don't keep it.
But it's also no longer about keeping "it" , it's about keeping "him" .

And we aught to be keeping him always... He is our rest. He is our peace. He is our Sabbath.

You all go on fighting about what day it is, and I'm gonna rest back and chew on some popcorn.
:D

Hugs

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exod 31:15-18
15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbathof rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God. (KJV)​
In the above Scripture we see that Hebrew word for restis synonymous with Sabbath:​
rest: Hebrew word #7677 shabbathown (shab-baw-thone'); from 7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: KJV-- rest, sabbath.

sabbath: Hebrew word #7676 shabbath (shab-bawth'); intensive from 7673; intermission, i.e (specifically) the Sabbath: KJV-- (+every) sabbath.

Hebrew word #7673 shabath (shaw-bath'); a primitive root; to repose, i.e. desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causative, figurative or specific): KJV-- (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.​
Christ became that rest, He became our Sabbath, He did not void the Old Testament Scriptures (Mat 5:17), but rather, He fulfilled them(Heb 10:7; Psm 40:7), they were written of Him "Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God." (Heb 10:7). The below Scripture sums it up quite nicely regarding Christ becoming our Sabbath (after His work on the cross):

Heb 4:1-11
1 Let us therefore fear [revere, be in awe], lest, a promise[covenant, divine promise of God] being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2 For unto us [Christians, the new covenant (New Testament)]was the gospel preached, as well as unto them [those under the Old Testament covenant]: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. [it did not require faith to satisfy the Old Testament covenant, only obedience (for they had seen and heard, and when you see something it isn't faith that you believe it, for you were convinced by seeing and hearing, not by believing), but the New Testament requires faith in Jesus Christ, whom we have not seen but yet whom we believe upon]
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. [Gen 2:2]
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.[Psalm 95:7-11]
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they [Old Testament] to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. [Psalm 95:7-8]
8 For if Jesus had given them [in David's time] rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day [this day].
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. [the rest in Jesus]
10 For he [any person] that is entered into his rest [Jesus's],he also hath ceased from his [any person's] own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest [Jesus Christ (Mat 11:28)], lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. [we are saved, and rest, in faith upon Christ Jesus - He became our rest, He is the fulfillment of the Sabbath as He is also the fulfillment of all of the promises of God towards us] (KJV)​
rest : Greek word #4520 sabbatismos (sab-bat-is-mos'); from a derivative of 4521; a "sabbatism", i.e. (figuratively) the repose of Christianity (as a type of heaven): KJV-- rest.​

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus is talking about the commandments he gave his disciples. It would be a mistake to think that Jesus was talking about keeping the Ten Commandments because Jesus is a Jew talking to other Jews, and by LAW, they are required to keep the Ten Commandments.

Suppose I told Zoe I would demonstrate my love for her by obeying the speed limit. I might say, "Zoe, I was going to get you some flowers, but I decided to obey the speed limit instead." She will look at me and say, "Nice try, buddy."

Loving someone is different than doing our duty. Love goes above and beyond duty and obligation. Love delivers kindness, generosity, and mercy even when we least expect it, even when duty is contrary to love.

"What does Jesus mean when he says 'keep my commandments'? Our initial interpretation might be 'obey my commandments,' but I believe Jesus intends for his disciples to focus on the other meaning of 'keep.' He is using the word 'keep' in the sense of 'keep safe' or 'preserve.' He wants us to ensure that his commandments continue, to hold them dear, and to remember and cherish them always. Furthermore, we should teach them to others and live by them in our daily lives."

Jesus' commandments are a commentary on the law, explaining the full and profound meaning of the Law. For instance, the Law teaches us that God forgives repentant sinners. Jesus clarified that to say that if we are unwilling to forgive our brother, then God will not forgive us. He taught his disciples, "If your brother has something against you, then put your offering down and make peace with your brother. Then make your offering in the temple. Thus, if we love Jesus, we will keep and cherish and practice what Jesus said about the Law, Life, and God.

Bottom line, the Ten Commandments are featured in the Law of Moses and remain an aspect of the MT. Sinai covenant. Jesus' commandments go above and beyond Moses. As a Gentile I am not obligated to keep Moses, but as a Gentile, I am obligated to follow my Lord and keep his teachings.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ became that rest, He became our Sabbath, He did not void the Old Testament Scriptures (Mat 5:17), but rather, He fulfilled them (Heb 10:7; Psm 40:7), they were written of Him "Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God." (Heb 10:7)[/I]. The below Scripture sums it up quite nicely regarding Christ becoming our Sabbath (after His work on the cross):

The above post has a lot of wisdom in it - by that I mean the Holy Spirit who also goes by the name Wisdom in the Bible, shows those who listen that indeed Jesus Christ is that rest we need!!!

Our rest is not about laying back and eating popcorn, as some might want you to believe. It is about being with Jesus Christ personally!!

So our rest is and never has been about going to church, but about finding Jesus Christ personally!!

Going to church on Sunday can be a tradition, where as knowing Him personally is a relationship, and the with your Lord.

I am not saying don't go to church on Sunday or Saturday or even on a mid-week service of event at church. Do that too, Yet do it because of your relationship with Him. - Indeed that is what is meant by "I come to do thy will, O God"

Indeed have we not read where Jesus said that Him and His Father have been working to this day??

Jn 5:16 -1 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.
But He answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.”
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

So if His Father is working, and He only does and says what the Father tells Him, and you do listen to Him and walk and talk with Him, then you will be working up until this day also!! But perhaps someone does not know what the work of God is??

Jn: 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

So He is always about getting people to actually believe in Him, and if a person actually believes in Him then they seek Him, and He then becomes their rest - as wisely pointed out by "Truthnightmare"

And it is not just that "Christ became that rest, He became our Sabbath,", as "Truthnightmare" wrote, but that He is our rest/Sabbath to this day!!!

So the person saying, " I'm gonna rest back and chew on some popcorn" fails to understand that we are not to eat salty things which puff us up, like the bread of the Pharisees - we are not to lean on our own understanding but we live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God!

Therefore those who listen to Him and know Him personally have already entered into His rest and those who don't have not!

Jn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that he that hears my word, and believes him that has sent me, has life eternal, and does not come into judgment, but is passed out of death into life.

The Sabbath was truly about that Seventh day when He rests with all who are left. Then His work is completely done - yet it may be done in a person know if this: “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” is fulfilled in them!!

That is why and how both these verses are true!!!

Exo 31:17 “It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed.”

and

Jn 5:17 But He answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.”

He rest in us when we truly believe in Him,
yet for those who have only turned to religion and not Him, He and His Father are both still working on them!!!

So there is a man that believes His rest is kicking back and eating some popcorn and another man who believes His rest is walking around talking back and forth with his Lord Jesus Christ,

Which one found has truly found the Sabbath Day?

I say that Jesus Christ is indeed by rest, so Today is the Day of my Sabbath, because Today is the day I talk with my Lord.
Yet another may, according to their belief, say Sunday or Saturday is their Sabbath.

God said He put before us right and wrong, and we can choose. So what is the right thing?

Enoch walked and talked with God and was taken by God. But concerning those rebellious people who said in their heart "Let not God speak to us" it was written: ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you not read about the Law of His mouth?
Or did you not read about how Satan told Him to make bread out of theses stones and was rebuke by Jesus pointing out that man must live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Proceeds is a current tense, right?

What you fail to understand is that the Lord is with us always!! So we are to listen to Him always! You perhaps read something about praying unceasingly?

You keep thinking about the Law Moses handed down to a people who said, "Let not God speak to us> - they were unwilling to listen to Him so keeping the Sabbath was written down - as in the 10 commandments! But is was never supposed to be like that, but we were always meant to walk and talk with Him, so that the commandments are the instructions He personally gives you!! Which is why Moses commanded them , "Hear, O Israel" - but they would not listen!! So they were stuck trying to keep the Law which was written in stone - those stones in the desert that Satan told Jesus to make into bread! Yet the bread that comes down from heaven is the word of God to us personally, as in every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God - that is to say what Jesus Christ says to us via His Holy Spirit. It is only those words that give us life!!

Those words are the words that proceed out of His mouth - as opposed to proceeded ( past tense). And it is those words which are the Law of His mouth! Do you not know that what a King speaks is Law? So we fulfil the Law of God by listening to Him and not by leaning on our understanding!!

Do you not know that when we are resurrected we are going to be like the angels in heaven? And do you not know that because God is omnipresent, they always are in the presence of God to get instructions personally from Him? And if we are going to be like them, should we not now start learning how that is - meaning should we not now start listening to Him and following His voice Today?

Yet if you do not listen to what comes out of the mouth of God to you Today, then perhaps the best you can do is go to church on Satuday or Sunday and hope the person leading the congregation can give you a relatively short message they got from hearing God - if in fact that are not leaning on their understanding, like you, also. Yet even Moses, forget to listen to the Rock in front of the congregation, which kept him from going into the promise land - physically speaking.

So them saying they would do what Moses told them was a lie, and even Moses couldn't always listen to the Rock, Jesus Christ, while speaking to them. So perhaps you should make it about you seeking the Lord and listening to Him - praying unceasingly - and maybe you can do better? BTW - Abram heard the the word of the Lord speking to him and believed it was Him, the Lord our God, and that was counted as righteousness to him, and that before the Law was handed down in stone to the rebellious people. Are you trying to be like them?
This is not Moses, but Christ giving this..

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above post has a lot of wisdom in it - by that I mean the Holy Spirit who also goes by the name Wisdom in the Bible, shows those who listen that indeed Jesus Christ is that rest we need!!!

Our rest is not about laying back and eating popcorn, as some might want you to believe. It is about being with Jesus Christ personally!!

So our rest is and never has been about going to church, but about finding Jesus Christ personally!!

Going to church on Sunday can be a tradition, where as knowing Him personally is a relationship, and the with your Lord.

I am not saying don't go to church on Sunday or Saturday or even on a mid-week service of event at church. Do that too, Yet do it because of your relationship with Him. - Indeed that is what is meant by "I come to do thy will, O God"

Indeed have we not read where Jesus said that Him and His Father have been working to this day??

Jn 5:16 -1 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.
But He answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.”
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

So if His Father is working, and He only does and says what the Father tells Him, and you do listen to Him and walk and talk with Him, then you will be working up until this day also!! But perhaps someone does not know what the work of God is??

Jn: 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

So He is always about getting people to actually believe in Him, and if a person actually believes in Him then they seek Him, and He then becomes their rest - as wisely pointed out by "Truthnightmare"

And it is not just that "Christ became that rest, He became our Sabbath,", as "Truthnightmare" wrote, but that He is our rest/Sabbath to this day!!!

So the person saying, " I'm gonna rest back and chew on some popcorn" fails to understand that we are not to eat salty things which puff us up, like the bread of the Pharisees - we are not to lean on our own understanding but we live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God!

Therefore those who listen to Him and know Him personally have already entered into His rest and those who don't have not!

Jn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that he that hears my word, and believes him that has sent me, has life eternal, and does not come into judgment, but is passed out of death into life.

The Sabbath was truly about that Seventh day when He rests with all who are left. Then His work is completely done - yet it may be done in a person know if this: “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” is fulfilled in them!!

That is why and how both these verses are true!!!

Exo 31:17 “It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed.”

and

Jn 5:17 But He answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.”

He rest in us when we truly believe in Him,
yet for those who have only turned to religion and not Him, He and His Father are both still working on them!!!

So there is a man that believes His rest is kicking back and eating some popcorn and another man who believes His rest is walking around talking back and forth with his Lord Jesus Christ,

Which one found has truly found the Sabbath Day?

I say that Jesus Christ is indeed by rest, so Today is the Day of my Sabbath, because Today is the day I talk with my Lord.
Yet another may, according to their belief, say Sunday or Saturday is their Sabbath.

God said He put before us right and wrong, and we can choose. So what is the right thing?

Enoch walked and talked with God and was taken by God. But concerning those rebellious people who said in their heart "Let not God speak to us" it was written: ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”
Are you talking about my popcorn?
:D

LOL
Hugs