Who’s interpretation is true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It seems that people have always been and continue to be a pretty thoughtless and even callous group for the most part. It is difficult to understand how God could love even those dwelling in the very bottom of the barrel.
Maybe because He understands WHY they're like that...how evil works to destroy people.
The same reason Jesus cried over Jerusalem.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe because He understands WHY they're like that...how evil works to destroy people.
Amen!

When it gets too personal we cannot have the compassion Jesus felt when he certainly knew exactly what was in their hearts. Can we love a hard core Nazi?

God help us for we surely cannot do it ourselves!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He loves those who are His. Whether they are in the bottom of the barrel or in ivory towers.

Stranger

Reactions: GodsGrace

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have learned that the interpretation I hear for the time, is relevant and accurate for that time, for me, in that situation. I have never bought into the idea that Biblical words mean only one possible thing, for all time, under every circumstance... and thus elicit only one reaction or response from me.

So what changes the meaning of the text from, say, AD70 to 2017?

Seems to me that your worldview is that of postmodern deconstruction. What is postmodern deconstruction?

Derrida concluded further that words and sentences have no inherent meaning. He insisted that human beings construct reality through their use of language. In other words, as you read this page, you will construct your own meaning shaped by your culture and life experiences. The author’s meaning is thus “deconstructed” or altered by the reader. In other words, the author’s meaning becomes captive to the reader. As Ward says, “Deconstruction is a [literary] method of reading which effectively turns texts against themselves.”

For example, according to Derrida’s theory of deconstruction, the Bible is merely a book written by men who were locked in their own culture, experiences, and language. Thus, the Biblical authors were writing about their own subjective experiences, not communicating objective or eternal truths about God and humanity. Therefore, when someone reads the Bible today, he or she brings a personal interpretive grid to the text. The theory of deconstruction can thus be used to explain how some cultures can read the Bible and proceed to slaughter another race, while other cultures reading the same Bible build hospitals, schools, orphanages, and homeless shelters. (source)​

Willie, so is it your view that no Scripture that had meaning in the first century has the same meaning today? Does the reader determine his/her own meaning of the text for his/her present cultural situation? Do meanings of the text change from the intention of the original writer?

Oz

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. This is all well and good and I agree.
But there are many interpretations.
So then what do you do?
GINOLJC, to all.
@GG, go to God. it makes no difference what, or who gives an interpretations there is no private one's, see 2 Peter 1:20. this is why we have the Lord Jesus the Holy Spirit. read 2 Peter 1:20 again. then read this James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.James 1:6 "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. This is all well and good and I agree.
But there are many interpretations.
So then what do you do?
GINOLJC, to all. @GG, go to God in prayer. you have not because you ask not. James 1:5 & 6 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed". understand GG, no interpretation is private 2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation". this is why we have the Holy Ghost, the Lord Jesus who is wisdom. JUST ASK AND LET HIM REVEAL WHAT YOU SEEK.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GINOLJC, to all. @GG, go to God in prayer. you have not because you ask not. James 1:5 & 6 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed". understand GG, no interpretation is private 2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation". this is why we have the Holy Ghost, the Lord Jesus who is wisdom. JUST ASK AND LET HIM REVEAL WHAT YOU SEEK.
My question was not meant to be personal.
Why did you take it that way?

I said that if there are so many interpretations, THEN what does one do?

The answer is that we're supposed to rely on those who studied and understand the bible a lot better than we do.

We cannot all have our own personal opinion. YOU yourself state thisj above, and then you tell me to ask God.

So when I get an answer and it's different from the answer you received, THEN WHAT??

Maybe we need a Protestant Pope?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The answer is that we're supposed to rely on those who studied and understand the bible a lot better than we do.
hmm, i don't think so, you got a verse in mind that we might discuss for this? ty
We cannot all have our own personal opinion.
yet we are all told to seek our own salvation
So when I get an answer and it's different from the answer you received, THEN WHAT?
quite the conundrum, innit? :)

what do you do, in that case?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Maybe we need a Protestant Pope?
a479dc85f704052d948c5f723fd85604.jpg

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
see, if you are looking for a person to tell you what to believe, you are by definition not relying on God, at least in a sense.

The heirs are under the servants while they are yet children, even though they are the masters of it all.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
hmm, i don't think so, you got a verse in mind that we might discuss for this? ty

yet we are all told to seek our own salvation
quite the conundrum, innit? :)

what do you do, in that case?
Too tired.
Just reading.
Romans 9.
Are we predestined to believe or not?
I have no problem knowing the truth.
But many don't know it and cling to silly ideas.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Are we predestined to believe or not?
ha, not sure how predestination figures into this, that is for a different thread seems to me, and my answer is "yes" in any case. Predestination is to me usually misunderstood anyway, and used as either self-justification or for judgement of others, when imo the point is likely to see that God does not judge each of us with the same yardstick.
I have no problem knowing the truth.
so you say, but i'm pretty sure the unvarnished truth would kill either of us lol

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ha, not sure how predestination figures into this, that is for a different thread seems to me, and my answer is "yes" in any case. Predestination is to me usually misunderstood anyway, and used as either self-justification or for judgement of others, when imo the point is likely to see that God does not judge each of us with the same yardstick.

so you say, but i'm pretty sure the unvarnished truth would kill either of us lol
M predestination question has everything to do with this thread.
Who is right?
Arminius or Calvin?

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

God will have mercy on us all.
We're just talking...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But many don't know it and cling to silly ideas.
well, we cling to ideas because they serve us, and we outgrow beliefs when they no longer serve us, and we do not judge little children for their beliefs, so imo we should not do for anyone else either. Of course i am a hypocrite too, because in a forum that is what we do, at least in a sense.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
well, we cling to ideas because they serve us, and we outgrow beliefs when they no longer serve us, and we do not judge little children for their beliefs, so imo we should not do for anyone else either. Of course i am a hypocrite too, because in a forum that is what we do, at least in a sense.
I've run across some silly ideas here.
Never even heard of some before.
And they're not little children if they can post scripture.

Reactions: OzSpen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
M predestination question has everything to do with this thread.
Who is right?
Arminius of calvin?
OIC now. This to me is not how i perceive the point of Predestination anymore, as you might see that we are now judging Arminius, who surely got some things right, and missed on some others. I know this seems inadequate to your question, but i am not seeking the approval of Arminius, see, while your question infers that you are, at least in a sense.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
OIC now. This to me is not how i perceive the point of Predestination anymore, as you might see that we are now judging Arminius, who surely got some things right, and missed on some others. I know this seems inadequate to your question, but i am not seeking the approval of Arminius, see, while your question infers that you are, at least in a sense.
I'm not seeking approval!!
Do you believe God picks who goes to heaven or hell...
Or do believe we have a say in where we end up?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I've run across some silly ideas here.
yes, but you have not walked in their shoes, see
Never even heard of some before.
if there is any truth to them, they will be unstoppable, and if there is not, they will die all on their own imo. I still struggle with this myself, how to address a GISMYS or a Stranger, obviously seeking God but on a different plane or whatever from me. I have to accept that i look as silly to them as they do me. Questions seem to be the best reveal, or perhaps it is best to leave them to minister to those whose ear they have gotten the attention of, and stay out of that court entirely.

And that can be really hard without judging, so i try to remind myself that i do not know anything anyway, and i should not expect a hand to agree with a leg, so to speak, anyway.

Reactions: amadeus