Who are the sons of God and the daughters of men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you are free to just insert your opinion, instead of Scripture.

Yes, that is your opinion, and moot to me.

Call God's Word nonsense,

I did not, but you can if you want to.

I gave you the clear definition from Scripture.

I have a copy of Gods Word. It’s called Knowledge.
I don’t require you to “give me your opinion” of the meaning of Gods Knowledge. I am already aware the Meaning of Gods Knowledge, is a Gift that belongs to God, that He exclusively doles out to whom He pleases.

You choose to reject the Word of God and call it nonsense.

You speaking for me is moot.
I said nothing about rejecting the Word of God.
Clearly I reject “your” opinions, that “you” speak in “your” words.
Try to stay on point. You are not God.
Rejecting what YOU SAY, is not REJECTING what God says.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the sons of God were the faithful line of God and that the daughters of men were the daughters of the unfaithful line of Cain.
Who did Seth marry? Who did Cain marry?

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No lies whatsoever, you need to get up to speed on theological claims in the world today, the thread your involved in is Genesis 6:1-8 that surrounds the fictional teaching of the "Nephilim", that is "Greek Mythology"
Nephilim is not a race of people, I agree. The word just means giants. One would not specifically say giants are a race of descendants of Adam like some ethnicity. Nephilim is not a proper name of an ethnicity, just like Giants are not an ethnicity, but a baseball team.

Those giants are only descriptive of the sons of God created on day 6.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nephilim is not a race of people, I agree. The word just means giants. One would not specifically say giants are a race of descendants of Adam like some ethnicity. Nephilim is not a proper name of an ethnicity, just like Giants are not an ethnicity, but a baseball team.

Just no.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lamech gives us the reason for this in Genesis chapter 5

Genesis 5:28-29
28 When Lamech had lived 182 years, he had a son. 29 He named him Noah[c] and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the LORD has cursed.”

The faithful people of God began to lose faith and complain about the pain and burden of working a cursed soil. Lamech named his son Noah which means rest as he thought that Noah would bring his people comfort and rest.

What the daughters of men offered the sons of God was Autonomy
Interesting that Noah planted a vineyard. Alcohol was more in line with that prophetic name than anything else.

All that Adam's descendants offered the sons of God was sin and corruptible flesh. After Noah, wine and alcohol just made things worse, no?

I'm not discrediting the benefits of grape juice. Just the fermentation process which literally is from the death and decay process of Adam's disobedience. Without death and decay there would be no fermentation, just like no leaven in the making of bread process. Leaven is symbolic of sin. Neither fermentation nor leaven is wicked nor necessarily sinful. It is just collateral phenomenon from death and decay.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Timtofly

I am not discrediting the benefits of grape juice.

Curious how long to you think grape juice lasts without refrigeration?

No historical account of grape presses....just winepresses. Grapepress does not even occur in the English language.

No historical account of grape bags or containers only wine bags and containers.

When Christ was referencing not putting new wine in old wine bags or they would burst....he was taking about fermentation. New wine only lasted a day or so with refrigeration so it could only drank as grape juice during the harvest.

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No absolutely there were giants.
But the sons of God were not giants.
The Nephilim were a separate race, that existed before and after the event of the sons of God impregnating human women.
Not hardly. Nephilim is not a proper name.

The proper name is found once in Numbers 13:33

"And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight."

Anak would be the proper name of an ethnicity who were giants.

They would have been some genetic result passed down from one of Noah's sons and a wife. Their originator being Anak. The word Nephilim does not mean a separate race of created beings. All races today, and since the Flood came from those on the ark with Noah. Noah himself could have been a 9 foot "giant". He did construct an ark by hand, that would rival any ocean going vessel of today. While that is my opinion, the word is not a race of people, when Anak would be the proper name of a race. They would not have had 2 proper names, only one, Anak.

No one knows the size of those created on the 6th Day. They definitely were not like humans today born in Adamic flesh.

If you claim God did not destroy all flesh in the Flood, we will never come to an agreement. You would be refuting this verse: Genesis 6:17

"And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die."

It would be a greater miracle to destroy all living by "splashing" water on them, than to completely cover the whole earth with water. But they were all still dead.

There is not a single indication in Scripture that the sons of God were not giants compared to Adam's dead flesh. There was only one group of created sons of God:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

When Adam disobeyed, Adam and Eve were no longer sons of God.

Noah a direct descendant of Adam and his 3 sons, were the only humans after the Flood.

"These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood."

Races did not happen until the tower of Babel.

"Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth."

When they could no longer communicate, they were forced to "inbreed", which led to races. There was no longer a homogeneous mixture.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Timt

I am not discrediting the benefits of grape juice.

Curious how long to you think grape juice lasts without refrigeration?

No historical account of grape presses....just winepresses. Grapepress does not even occur in the English language.

No historical account of grape bags or containers only wine bags and containers.

When Christ was referencing not putting new wine in old wine bags or they would burst....he was taking about fermentation. New wine only lasted a day or so with refrigeration so it could only drank as grape juice during the harvest.
How many harvests did Noah get in a year? Your guess is as good as mine. Obviously over 4000 years later it is not even relative.

Noah still got drunk it seems rather quickly in the process, which was my point about "comfort in labor" or "rest from labor".

Does wine grow on the vine, or grapes?

Reactions: Grailhunter

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now just prove that and we can discuss it further. Otherwise it is just opinion and opinions are like behinds, we all have them and they all smell.

and the ground had been cursed since Adam, not Lamech. Do you have some secret documents that describe things god decided not to put in the bible? You seem to come up with lots of accounts god did not inspire.

Its what the text in Genesis 4-6 suggest.

Of course the ground was cursed sine Adam why did you even say that? Did I suggest anything else? Why are you trying to discredit me with something I didn’t suggest is that how you debate by throwing other arguments in that I didn’t say or suggest? Please stick to what I say and not what I don’t say

My point is that Lamech started to complain about it. They were being faithful and doing what they should but not advancing ahead like the bible shows the line of Cain was advancing. They became jealous and started to conform which is what satan has been trying to get the faithful to do since time began.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not hardly. Nephilim is not a proper name.

Anyway I disagree with this....I do believe it is a proper name as used in the Hebrew and the Bible.

The Nephilim are referenced in Genesis. The Hebrew word nefilim is sometimes directly translated as “giants”. Some like the phrase “the fallen ones” which is incorrect. The Nephilim killed people....fall....and scholars believe the word can be a singular or a plural.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God created humans such as Adam and Eve, the giants in the land of OG were decendants of Adam and Even, not Angels and Humans having sexual intercourse as many claim

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created humans such as Adam and Eve, the giants in the land of OG were decendants of Adam and Even, not Angels and Humans having sexual intercourse as many claim

Nothing in the Bible suggest that God created Giants or that Adam and Eve's descendants were giants. By nothing, I mean nothing to suggest that, before that time or after that time. The impregnation of women by men was a norm....this event is not talking about a norm.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing in the Bible suggest that God created Giants or that Adam and Eve's descendants were giants. By nothing, I mean nothing to suggest that, before that time or after that time. The impregnation of women by men was a norm....this event is not talking about a norm.
The fact is, angels don't "marry" or procreate with humans, "The Sons Of God" were human men of the flesh that married women

Genesis 6:2KJV
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is how the Bible refers to them....correct the Bible
Actually that is not how the Bible refers to them. That is an interpretation of a word. Not even the definition of the word. You are free to literally insert any opinion into that Hebrew word, evidently. Many have.

Anyway I disagree with this....I do believe it is a proper name as used in the Hebrew and the Bible.

The Nephilim are referenced in Genesis. The Hebrew word nefilim is sometimes directly translated as “giants”. Some like the phrase “the fallen ones” which is incorrect. The Nephilim killed people....fall....and scholars believe the word can be a singular or a plural.

Obviously this is not indicated any where in Scripture. The Hebrew word is not a proper name. Nephilim is not the Hebrew Word. Nephilim is a transliteration in some language.

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its what the text in Genesis 4-6 suggest.

Of course the ground was cursed sine Adam why did you even say that? Did I suggest anything else? Why are you trying to discredit me with something I didn’t suggest is that how you debate by throwing other arguments in that I didn’t say or suggest? Please stick to what I say and not what I don’t say

My point is that Lamech started to complain about it. They were being faithful and doing what they should but not advancing ahead like the bible shows the line of Cain was advancing. They became jealous and started to conform which is what satan has been trying to get the faithful to do since time began.
The issue is: you make it sound wrong for Adam's dead flesh to conform to the image of God. While not possible for sinners to do on their own, especially via procreation, it would not be wrong to attempt living as a son of God. Seth's offspring were not in God's image, nor son's of God. Adam disobeyed and was kicked out of Paradise. None of his offspring can get back into Paradise on their own cognizance or will. Noah did not get back into Paradise via the ark. Noah only progressed fallen sinful flesh to keep living on a post Flood earth.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is, angels don't "marry" or procreate with humans, "The Sons Of God" were human men of the flesh that married women

Genesis 6:2KJV
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Never said angels procreate and never said the sons of God were angels. Not men, something from above.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually that is not how the Bible refers to them. That is an interpretation of a word. Not even the definition of the word. You are free to literally insert any opinion into that Hebrew word, evidently. Many have.

New International Version
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

NASB
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

You are confusing the name of the race of giants with the meaning of the Hebrew word הַנְּפִלִ֞ים which was Nephilim which in Hebrew means giants or killer giants. Your confusion is probably from reading the King James Version.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The issue is: you make it sound wrong for Adam's dead flesh to conform to the image of God. While not possible for sinners to do on their own, especially via procreation, it would not be wrong to attempt living as a son of God. Seth's offspring were not in God's image, nor son's of God. Adam disobeyed and was kicked out of Paradise. None of his offspring can get back into Paradise on their own cognizance or will. Noah did not get back into Paradise via the ark. Noah only progressed fallen sinful flesh to keep living on a post Flood earth.

How do I make it sound wrong? I’m only showing what the text says.

Man was told to multiply and fill the earth but the scriptures show that Cains descendants decided to stay put and build cities. The text shows the great accomplishments of Cains offspring which on its own isn’t wrong but is if it’s your only focus