Who is the son?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the JW's have convinced you that you know more about Bible translations than all those who translated our Christian Bibles. Red flag!

I believe it's every persons right to use whatever version of the Bible they want. If a person wants to use the KJV of the Bible that's ok if a person wants to use the NIV or ASV or any other version including the NWT that's their right. If any person says you're wrong for using whatever version of the Bible you're using in personal study they're just trying to dictate to you what version of the Bible you should use, that's a big red flag.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So like the jews, you believe Jesus sinned.

I never said any such thing! Jesus NEVER sinned. They knew Jesus was making Himself God. That's why they wanted to kill Him.

You see breaking the Sabbath is a sin. So I know Jesus didn't sin so he didn't break the Sabbath like the Jews said he did and just as they were wrong about Jesus breaking the Sabbath they were wrong for believing Jesus was making himself equal with God.

Guess you didn't know that Jesus disciples were working on the Sabbath. Jesus was with them. You think Jesus taught them wrong? There are no Sabbath commands in the NT which Jesus provided us with His Blood.

And yes, Jesus is still God. And always was.

John 1 The Word was God!

God can't stop being God. Nor can He start being God. He always was God.

Micah 5:2
2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting."

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it's every persons right to use whatever version of the Bible they want. If a person wants to use the KJV of the Bible that's ok if a person wants to use the NIV or ASV or any other version including the NWT that's their right. If any person says you're wrong for using whatever version of the Bible you're using in personal study they're just trying to dictate to you what version of the Bible you should use, that's a big red flag.
Then why do JW's constantly attack our Christian Bibles and promote their own translation?

KJV John 1 The Word was God.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said any such thing! Jesus NEVER sinned. They knew Jesus was making Himself God. That's why they wanted to kill Him.

Guess you didn't know that Jesus disciples were working on the Sabbath. Jesus was with them. You think Jesus taught them wrong? There are no Sabbath commands in the NT which Jesus provided us with His Blood.

And yes, Jesus is still God. And always was.

John 1 The Word was God!

God can't stop being God. Nor can He start being God. He always was God.

Micah 5:2
2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting."

Well I choose to look at the scriptures in the context they were written, not the way you choose to see them. Like for instance you say there were no Sabbath in the NT yet most of us know the law covenant which included the Sabbath day law was in force until Jesus died for the sins of man. In the context of these scriptures, "John chapter 5" Jesus hadn't died for the sins of man yet so the law covenant which included the Sabbath day law was still in force. The problem with the Jews is the way they viewed the scriptures. The Jews thought it wrong for Jesus to have healed on the Sabbath when he told a lame man to pick up his cot and walk. This is in John chapter 5 before we come to John 5:18. These Jews even thought this man Jesus healed was breaking the Sabbath simply because he was walking with a cot. Do you see how wrong these jews were in their thinking on the scriptures. They thought it was breaking the Sabbath for Jesus to heal a man on the Sabbath and these Jews thought it was wrong for this man Jesus healed to be walking with his cot even though Jesus told him to pick up his cot and walk. I can see the error of how these Jews viewed the scriptures, and just as these jews were wrong in the way they viewed the Sabbath day law they were in error for believing Jesus was making himself equal with God because Jesus said God was his Father.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why do JW's constantly attack our Christian Bibles and promote their own translation?

KJV John 1 The Word was God.

I don't know how you mean why do JW attack your Christian Bibles. A JW will use any Bible. Like on the JW app they use different Bibles, not just the NWT. They use the KJV, the ASV, and the Bible in living English. So I guess you are going to have to explain to me What you're talking about when you ask why do JW attack your Christian Bibles.
If you're using John 1:1 in the KJV how it's translated and how the JW NWT translates this Scripture at John 1:1 then you're going to have to understand that how this Scripture should be translated has been going on for centuries even before the KJV or the NWT were first published. So I think it unreasonable for anyone to blame the JW for a debate of how John 1:1 should be translated when this debate has been going on for centuries before the NWT or The KJV were first published.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how you mean why do JW attack your Christian Bibles. A JW will use any Bible. Like on the JW app they use different Bibles, not just the NWT. They use the KJV, the ASV, and the Bible in living English. So I guess you are going to have to explain to me What you're talking about when you ask why do JW attack your Christian Bibles.
If you're using John 1:1 in the KJV how it's translated and how the JW NWT translates this Scripture at John 1:1 then you're going to have to understand that how this Scripture should be translated has been going on for centuries even before the KJV or the NWT were first published. So I think it unreasonable for anyone to blame the JW for a debate of how John 1:1 should be translated when this debate has been going on for centuries before the NWT or The KJV were first published.
I've talked to MANY JW's. I don't know of much JW's believe from the Christian Bible. You deny the deity of Jesus and the eternal Hell fire.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I choose to look at the scriptures in the context they were written, not the way you choose to see them. Like for instance you say there were no Sabbath in the NT yet most of us know the law covenant which included the Sabbath day law was in force until Jesus died for the sins of man. In the context of these scriptures, "John chapter 5" Jesus hadn't died for the sins of man yet so the law covenant which included the Sabbath day law was still in force. The problem with the Jews is the way they viewed the scriptures. The Jews thought it wrong for Jesus to have healed on the Sabbath when he told a lame man to pick up his cot and walk. This is in John chapter 5 before we come to John 5:18. These Jews even thought this man Jesus healed was breaking the Sabbath simply because he was walking with a cot. Do you see how wrong these jews were in their thinking on the scriptures. They thought it was breaking the Sabbath for Jesus to heal a man on the Sabbath and these Jews thought it was wrong for this man Jesus healed to be walking with his cot even though Jesus told him to pick up his cot and walk. I can see the error of how these Jews viewed the scriptures, and just as these jews were wrong in the way they viewed the Sabbath day law they were in error for believing Jesus was making himself equal with God because Jesus said God was his Father.
Nearly every JW I have talked to twisted nearly every Bible Scripture!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've talked to MANY JW's. I don't know of much JW's believe from the Christian Bible. You deny the deity of Jesus and the eternal Hell fire.

Concerning hellfire:
I assure you that the wicked will be punished. 2 Thess. 1:9 However read Genesis 2:16,17 which shows that the penalty for sin is death. The sin that Adam did caused the entire human race to be born as sinners. Romans 5:12 God said nothing about being punished in hellfire. If Adam and Eve were in danger of being tormented forever, would it not have been fair to warn them of that? Read Genesis 3:19 when God pronounced sentence after their sin nothing was said about hellfire. Instead, Adam was told that he would return to the dust. Would it have been fair to tell Adam that he would go back to the ground if he was really going to a fiery hell?

Some believe that Satan is “in charge” of hellfire. That's illogical to me. Jesus used illustrations to make his point so here is a illustration that proves to me how illogical it is: “Imagine that you're a parent and your child has become very rebellious and is doing many bad things. How would you react?” Likely, as a parent you would say that you would correct your child. You might repeatedly try to help the child stop doing what is bad. Proverbs 22:15 At this point, what would you do if the child rejected all efforts to help him. Most parents would say that eventually they would have no choice but to punish the child. What if you found out that an evil person had influenced your child to become so rebellious? No doubt, as a parent you would be angry with such a person. Knowing that an evil individual had influenced your child, would you ask that person to punish your child for you? The answer, of course, would be no. Clearly, then, God would not use Satan to punish the very same people who have been influenced by the Devil himself to do bad things!

Concerning the diety of Jesus Christ:
When we read John 6:38 Jesus is quoted as saying: I have come down from heaven to do, not my own will, but the will of him who sent me. If Jesus is God, who sent him down from heaven? Would that One not be greater than Jesus? After all, isn't the sender superior to the one who is sent.

At Philippians 2: 9 there the apostle Paul describes what God did after Jesus died and was resurrected. The verse says: “God exalted him [Jesus] to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name.” If Jesus was equal to God before he died and God later exalted him to a higher position, would that not put Jesus above God? Yet, how could anyone become superior to God?”

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No actually that's you who is twisting the scriptures. I can read John chapter 5 myself you're the one who's twisting it.
John 1 The Word was God.
The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

Rev 21 And they will be tormented day and night FOREVER and EVER.

Now do the JW twist!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1 The Word was God.
The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

Rev 21 And they will be tormented day and night FOREVER and EVER.

Now do the JW twist!

You're still twisting John 5. You're changing nothing by trying to quote another Scripture. You'll twist those scriptures just as you twisted John 5

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're still twisting John 5. You're changing nothing by trying to quote another Scripture. You'll twist those scriptures just as you twisted John 5
I quoted John 1. FYI. I didn't twist anything. I'm not JW. This reminds me of how the Left always accuses others of what they do. lol

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quoted John 1. FYI. I didn't twist anything. I'm not JW. This reminds me of how the Left always accuses others of what they do. lol

I know what you quoted. You're still twisting John 5 because you won't admit the truth about John 5. The Jews in John 5:1-18 is about how the Jews believed Jesus broke the Sabbath because he heal a man on the Sabbath. Then when Jesus said that God was his Father the Jews believed Jesus was making himself equal with God. Jesus however didn't say that. It was the jews who said that Jesus was making himself equal to God? Not Jesus. He defended himself against this false charge in the very next verse John 5:19: “To this accusation Jesus replied: . . . ‘the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees the Father doing.’”(Jerusalem Bible)

By this, Jesus showed the Jews that he was not equal to God and therefore could not act on his own initiative. Can we imagine someone equal to Almighty God saying that he could “do nothing by himself”? Compare Daniel 4: 34,35. The context of both John 5:18 and John 10:30 shows that Jesus defended himself against false charges from the Jews who, were drawing wrong conclusions!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what you quoted. You're still twisting John 5 because you won't admit the truth about John 5. The Jews in John 5:1-18 is about how the Jews believed Jesus broke the Sabbath because he heal a man on the Sabbath. Then when Jesus said that God was his Father the Jews believed Jesus was making himself equal with God. Jesus however didn't say that. It was the jews who said that Jesus was making himself equal to God? Not Jesus. He defended himself against this false charge in the very next verse John 5:19: “To this accusation Jesus replied: . . . ‘the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees the Father doing.’”(Jerusalem Bible)

By this, Jesus showed the Jews that he was not equal to God and therefore could not act on his own initiative. Can we imagine someone equal to Almighty God saying that he could “do nothing by himself”? Compare Daniel 4: 34,35. The context of both John 5:18 and John 10:30 shows that Jesus defended himself against false charges from the Jews who, were drawing wrong conclusions!
When you get time to quote the verses you are referring to let me know.

John 1 The Word was God.

Amen Jesus, You are God!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 1 The Word was God.

Amen Jesus, You are God!
Correct, Matthew 1:23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." the way God "was" WITH us "was" in flesh.

on point kcnalp

PICJAG.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 1 The Word was God.

Amen Jesus, You are God!

I'm not going to ignore John 5:1-18 which was the scriptures I was speaking about in the previous post so why are you saying, "When you get time to quote the verses you are referring to let me know." Do you not see in the previous post where I typed John 5:1-18?

Concerning John 1:1: At the end of his first letter to Christians the apostle John brings us to the understanding, namely, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that humans begotten of God are children of God with Jesus Christ. An American Translation presents the end of John’s letter as follows: “We know that no child of God commits sin, but that he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one cannot touch him. We know that we are children of God, while the whole world is in the power of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us power to recognize him who is true; and we are in union with him who is true.” How? “Through his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Dear children, keep away from idols.” 1John 5:18-21, AT; RS

Since the One of whom Jesus Christ is the Son is “the true God and eternal life,” and since Jesus Christ is “he who was born of God” and who protects God’s other children, how are we to understand John 1:1, 2, of which there are differing translations? My examination of what John wrote about Jesus shows me that the Word is The Only Begotten Son of God and that he was made flesh.

The Authorized Version or Douay Version at John 1:1, 2 says: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.” Here a few lines deserve to be quoted from the book The Four Gospels Harmonized and Translated, by Count Leo Tolstoy, as follows:

If it says that in the beginning was the comprehension, or word, and that the word was to God, or with God, or for God, it is impossible to go on and say that it was God. If it was God, it could stand in no relation to God.

Certainly the apostle John was not so unreasonable as to say that someone (“the Word”) was with some other individual (“God”) and at the same time was that other individual (“God”).

John proves that the Word who was with God “was made flesh” and became Jesus Christ and that Jesus Christ was “the Son of God.” So it would be proper to say that the Word was the Son of God. For anyone to say that the Word was God, “the only true God,” would be contrary to what the apostle John proves by the rest of his writings. In the last book of the Bible, namely, in Revelations 19:13, John calls him “The Word of God,” saying: “And his name is called The Word of God.” (AV; Dy) Note that his name is not called “God the Word,” but is called “The Word of God,” or God’s Word. Hence John 1:1 must mean, at most, that the Word was of God.

The Four Gospels, by C. C. Torrey, shows the difference between theós with ho (the definite article) and theós without ho by printing his translation as follows: “And the Word was with God, and the Word was god.” (Second edition of 1947)

The Emphatic Diaglott, by Benjamin Wilson, of 1864, shows the difference by printing its translation as follows: “And the LOGOS was with GOD, and the LOGOS was God.”

Even translations printed in those ways indicate that the Word, in his prehuman existence in heaven with God, had a godly quality but was not God himself or a part of God. The Word was the Son of God. So the question arises, What would we call such a Son of God who first of all had this godly quality among the sons of God in heaven? We have to remember that Jesus Christ told the Jews that those human judges to whom or against whom God’s word came were called “gods” in Psalm 82:1-6; John 10:34-36.

So why is it so difficult for those who believe in the Trinity that the Word is the Son of God who The True God has made a god. The answer I believe is they lack faith that The True God has the authority to do such a thing. As long as trinitarians deny The Word to be The Only Begotten Son of God and that it was the Only Begotten Son of God that died for the world of mankind and it was The Only Begotten Son of God that The True God Jehovah resurrected three days after his death, they will remain in their sins. They will never have Gods Holy Spirit and be able to truly believe that The Word who is The Only Begotten Son of God is their Lord and King because they don't have faith in the truth that the scriptures speak of concerning The True God Jehovah or his Only Begotten Son, instead they believe in doctrines of men. In other words they don't keep away from idols as the scriptures tell them to do.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not going to ignore John 5:1-18 which was the scriptures I was speaking about in the previous post so why are you saying, "When you get time to quote the verses you are referring to let me know." Do you not see in the previous post where I typed John 5:1-18?

Do you believe you're a god?

John 5:23
23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father.

Concerning John 1:1: At the end of his first letter to Christians the apostle John brings us to the understanding, namely, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that humans begotten of God are children of God with Jesus Christ. An American Translation presents the end of John’s letter as follows: “We know that no child of God commits sin, but that he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one cannot touch him. We know that we are children of God, while the whole world is in the power of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us power to recognize him who is true; and we are in union with him who is true.” How? “Through his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Dear children, keep away from idols.” 1John 5:18-21, AT; RS

Since the One of whom Jesus Christ is the Son is “the true God and eternal life,” and since Jesus Christ is “he who was born of God” and who protects God’s other children, how are we to understand John 1:1, 2, of which there are differing translations? My examination of what John wrote about Jesus shows me that the Word is The Only Begotten Son of God and that he was made flesh.

The Authorized Version or Douay Version at John 1:1, 2 says: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.” Here a few lines deserve to be quoted from the book The Four Gospels Harmonized and Translated, by Count Leo Tolstoy, as follows:

If it says that in the beginning was the comprehension, or word, and that the word was to God, or with God, or for God, it is impossible to go on and say that it was God. If it was God, it could stand in no relation to God.

Certainly the apostle John was not so unreasonable as to say that someone (“the Word”) was with some other individual (“God”) and at the same time was that other individual (“God”).

John proves that the Word who was with God “was made flesh” and became Jesus Christ and that Jesus Christ was “the Son of God.” So it would be proper to say that the Word was the Son of God. For anyone to say that the Word was God, “the only true God,” would be contrary to what the apostle John proves by the rest of his writings. In the last book of the Bible, namely, in Revelations 19:13, John calls him “The Word of God,” saying: “And his name is called The Word of God.” (AV; Dy) Note that his name is not called “God the Word,” but is called “The Word of God,” or God’s Word. Hence John 1:1 must mean, at most, that the Word was of God.

The Four Gospels, by C. C. Torrey, shows the difference between theós with ho (the definite article) and theós without ho by printing his translation as follows: “And the Word was with God, and the Word was god.” (Second edition of 1947)

The Emphatic Diaglott, by Benjamin Wilson, of 1864, shows the difference by printing its translation as follows: “And the LOGOS was with GOD, and the LOGOS was God.”

Even translations printed in those ways indicate that the Word, in his prehuman existence in heaven with God, had a godly quality but was not God himself or a part of God. The Word was the Son of God. So the question arises, What would we call such a Son of God who first of all had this godly quality among the sons of God in heaven? We have to remember that Jesus Christ told the Jews that those human judges to whom or against whom God’s word came were called “gods” in Psalm 82:1-6; John 10:34-36.

So why is it so difficult for those who believe in the Trinity that the Word is the Son of God who The True God has made a god. The answer I believe is they lack faith that The True God has the authority to do such a thing. As long as trinitarians deny The Word to be The Only Begotten Son of God and that it was the Only Begotten Son of God that died for the world of mankind and it was The Only Begotten Son of God that The True God Jehovah resurrected three days after his death, they will remain in their sins. They will never have Gods Holy Spirit and be able to truly believe that The Word who is The Only Begotten Son of God is their Lord and King because they don't have faith in the truth that the scriptures speak of concerning The True God Jehovah or his Only Begotten Son, instead they believe in doctrines of men. In other words they don't keep away from idols as the scriptures tell them to do.

Why do JW's HATE John 1:1?

John 1:1 (KJV)
1 the Word was God.
(GenevaBible)
1 that Word was God.
(ASV)
1 the Word was God.
(AMP)
1 the Word was God Himself.
(MontgomeryNT)
1 the Word was God.
(CEB)
1 the Word was God.
(CJB)
1 the Word was God.
(Darby)
1 the Word was God.
(ESV)
1 the Word was God.
(HCSB)
1 the Word was God.
(MaceNT)
1 the Logos was God.
(NASB)
1 the Word was God.
(NIV)
1 the Word was God.
(NJB)
1 the Word was God.
(NKJV)
1 the Word was God.
(NRSV)
1 the Word was God.
(RSV)
1 the Word was God.
(TLB)
1 is himself God.
(WesleyNT)
1 the Word was God.
(WEY)
1 the Word was God.
(YLT)
1 the Word was God;
(Webster's Bible)
1 the Word was God.
(MSG)
1 The Word was God,

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe you're a god?

John 5:23
23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father.

Why do JW's HATE John 1:1?

John 1:1 (KJV)
1 the Word was God.
(GenevaBible)
1 that Word was God.
(ASV)
1 the Word was God.
(AMP)
1 the Word was God Himself.
(MontgomeryNT)
1 the Word was God.
(CEB)
1 the Word was God.
(CJB)
1 the Word was God.
(Darby)
1 the Word was God.
(ESV)
1 the Word was God.
(HCSB)
1 the Word was God.
(MaceNT)
1 the Logos was God.
(NASB)
1 the Word was God.
(NIV)
1 the Word was God.
(NJB)
1 the Word was God.
(NKJV)
1 the Word was God.
(NRSV)
1 the Word was God.
(RSV)
1 the Word was God.
(TLB)
1 is himself God.
(WesleyNT)
1 the Word was God.
(WEY)
1 the Word was God.
(YLT)
1 the Word was God;
(Webster's Bible)
1 the Word was God.
(MSG)
1 The Word was God,

John 5:23 shows people written down in black and white that the Father is one person who is also the Father of Jesus and Jesus is another person who is the Son of the Father. They are not the same person. The scriptures show that the Son of God has a Father and a God, who is our Father and God.

JW don't hate John 1:1 JW don't believe that the Apostle John denied Jesus was the Only Begotten Son of God as trinitarians do. John tells us in his Gospel that the things he wrote about Jesus was written so that people would have faith that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God. This would include John 1:1. So John was saying Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. John wasn't saying Jesus is God.