Who or What Is the Fire Burning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Could you please tell us who or what you believe is being burned up in the following verses...

1 Corinthians 3:8-15

8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

GodsGrace,

I've only browsed this thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated.

Who is Paul addressing? 'Brothers and sisters' in Christ (3:1). So this passage is dealing with what happens to Christians when their rewards are determined by God (v 8).

Examine the metaphors that are used in this passage. A metaphor is 'a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable' (Oxford Dictionaries Online 2018. s.v. metaphor). It is like a word picture using figurative language.

Here are the metaphors I observed in this passage:

• V. 8, plants + waters --> own reward, which is the Christian's labor (while on earth).
  • V. 9, Christians are God's 'fellow workers' who are in 'God's field' and are 'God's building'. Metaphors from agriculture and carpentry are used here to convey God's message.
  • V. 10, 'master builder', 'laid foundation', 'building', 'how he builds'. These are metaphors again to demonstrate what kind of foundation and building are being built into the Christian's 'own reward'. Seems to me that this points to James 2 in action.
  • V. 11, 'lay a foundation', 'is laid'. This verse talks about a true foundation, which is Jesus Christ. The inference is that there are other foundations Christians can build on that will not lead to a good 'reward'. The next verse tells us this:
  • V. 12, 'builds', 'foundation', 'gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw'. All of those are metaphors but when speaking of the two types of 'rewards', Paul differentiates between the reward of 'gold, silver, precious stones' and what will be burnt up, 'wood, hay, straw' (anticipating v. 15).
  • V. 13, 'man's work', 'revealed with fire', 'fire ... tests the quality';
  • V. 14, 'man's [Christian person's] work', 'built', 'reward'.
  • V. 15, How is this reward determined? Paul used the metaphor of 'burned up', 'suffer loss', 'through fire'.
So, all through this passage, Paul uses metaphors of agriculture and particularly of carpentry.

In my understanding, Paul is teaching what takes place at the Judgment Seat of Christ where our works (AFTER salvation) will be tested to determine if they are trash (wood, hay, straw) or treasure (rewards of silver, gold, precious stones). Trash is burnt up; treasure is purified.

What is to be 'revealed with fire' is metaphorical language for when God hands out rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ. What will be 'burned up' is like saying that what Christians do that is outside of what is articulated in James 2 (NIV) and Matt 25:31-46 (NIV) will be regarded as trash to be incinerated by God.

We see in v. 15 that Christians can be those whose lives are built on 'wood, hay & chaff' or 'silver, gold and precious stones'.

Paul is not speaking of literal fire. He's using the example of fire as a metaphor to demonstrate that junk gets God's treatment and so does treasure. This 'fire' is God's way of telling what amounts to true works after salvation and false works.

I your responses, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't use Christian cliches.

What is the junk in your life that will be burned up?

For me, it has been the times when I didn't think of others and work to better love my neighbour. They have been the times when I became angry with those who were close to me and with employees. My motives have not always been pure. I have hurt people, including my wife and children. It's too late to take back the hurt but I did seek forgiveness, etc.

What is the treasure in your life that will not be destroyed at the Judgment Seat of Christ?

For me, they have been the times when I genuinely loved and served my neighbour with practical help and care. I spent 34 years as a counsellor, mostly with non-Christians. I thank God for helping me with many break-throughs. I was an instrument that God used. Today I'm helping an elderly couple and the husband is in the early stages of dementia. I'm involved in a discipling ministry and challenging secular values and consequences in my society through the mass media, etc. None of this is to brag about what I'm doing.

This is where I often fail:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these (Mark 12:30-31 NIV).

Loving God will all my heart, soul, mind and strength is a discipline in which I fail all too regularly. Instead, I fall back on my puny self - which amounts to wood, hay and chaff that are burnt up.

Only God knows what is truly genuine or false in our works for Him, but we have enough information in the Bible to give us direction.

Oz

Last edited:

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Look at verse 12 above. For the master's use...every GOOD work. So then the corrolary to good works are dead works...or ,works of the flesh. There are many other references...

like..
Heb. 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Here again we see service to God away from dead works.

A dead work is one that presents itself as being in accord with God's will...but it's source is from men.

Episkopos,

Both in Heb 9:14 and Heb 6:1, it is not clear what 'dead works' refer to.

We know from Num 19:11ff that whoever touched the dead body of any person was unclean for 7 days and had to cleanse himself on the 7th day to be clean. See also Num 31:19.

From the NT we have messages such as,
  • faith without works is dead (Jas 2:17). That sure sounds like dead works if done without faith;
  • Rom 6:1-2 (NIV), 'What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning, so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?' The deadening power of sin is confirmed in these verses.
  • Rom 6:11 (NIV): 'In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus'. Dead works seem to relate to being 'alive to sin' as a Christian and continuing in sin. If my lifestyle still embraces secular whooping it up, surely they are included in dead works that are not pleasing to God.
  • Rom 7: 8a (NIV): 'But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting....' This is adead work of coveting that doesn't glorify God.
  • Col 2:13 (NIV): 'When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins'. While this addresses the before and after situation for unbelievers to believers, the theology of 'dead in your sins' could be applied to 'dead works' because of continuation in sin.
  • Eph 2:1 (NIV): 'As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins'.
  • Eph 2:5 (NIV): 'made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions – it is by grace you have been saved'.
There is enough evidence from the above to indicate that the language of 'dead works' refers to those Christians who engage in acts that reinforce the deadening power of sin.

Anton Bosch explained:

If works are "dead" they have no value; no matter how powerful something or someone is, once dead, it is no longer of any consequence. These are things people do which have no value or that do not count. In the natural, we spend a lot of time doing things that are of no value or consequence and so we also do things that aren't of any value in the spiritual realm.
There is another way we could understand the idea of dead works and that is works that lead to death. Just as there are certain things we can do [e.g. faith comes by hearing; you believe for salvation] that lead to eternal life, there are things people do that lead to eternal death. We commonly refer to these as "sins". Both Christians and unbelievers do dead works (Bosch 2017:35-36).​

Therefore, I'm suggesting that 'dead works' refers to Christians who engage in sinful acts with their deadening power. Could these be included in dead works (angry outbursts, not caring for the widow, homeless and the poor; adultery, lying, deceit, gossip, drunkenness, etc)?

These kinds of works will be burnt up at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Oz

Works consulted

Bosch, A 2017. Building Blocks for Solid Foundations: A Study of Hebrews 5:12-6:8. Sun Valley, CA: Eldad Press.

Reactions: Jay Ross

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Iniquity is a special kind of sin...a sin committed by believers who mix in flesh with the Spirit.

Jesus covers this sin, yes...IF it is repented of.

We soil our holy garments with the flesh...so that they become filthy. Baby Christians do this unwittingly...but one must "grow out" of doing so unless it become iniquity ...which we are exhorted to depart from.

Zech 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

Here Joshua (the high priest) is treated with leniency since he lacked understanding of the severity of presenting himself before the Lord with filthy garments. God's mercy was shown in giving him new garments.

I know God hates iniquity/mixture, but could you give an example of flesh mixed with Spirit?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know God hates iniquity/mixture, but could you give an example of flesh mixed with Spirit?

Non-believers sin against each other and know it...although do they sin against God and grievously...they don't believe they are. Believers at least at certain times also sin against God...but these are more responsible. We are held to a higher standard.

So then iniquity is human pride masking God's work. Basically, hypocrisy...Phariseeism. Any misrepresentation of God. Heresy...and a false balance. Judging others harshly but going easy on ourselves. These are some of the sins that believers fall into...or can at times. We may go through phases..especially at the beginning of our walks...but we must outgrow these or else we will grieve the Spirit.

Reactions: faithfulness

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you please tell us who or what you believe is being burned up in the following verses...

Amazing how a simple teaching of Scripture can be so misunderstood and made complex by so many, even from someone who claims to be a teacher of the Bible!

The answer to the question of the OP is verse 15. However, the context of 1 Corinthians 3:8-15 is found in verses 5, 6 where we find the key words, “ministers,” “planted,” “watered,” and “increase.”

8) “he that planteth” and “he that watereth” are one that is, in harmony, not competition. IOW, the believers are the builders.
9) “we are laborers” = we are builders with God; “husbandry” = field.
10) self explanatory.
11 ) “There can be no other foundation laid” than that of the Lord Jesus Christ. Anyone who preaches another Jesus than that of the Bible let him be accursed, we read!
12) if any man build upon the foundation (Gospel) “gold, silver, precious stones,” “wood, hay, stubble”:
13) Every believer’s work shall be revealed by fire of what sort it is, either saved as gold, silver, precious stones, or unsaved as wood, hay, stubble.
14) If isolated from the rest of Scripture, it seems we will receive a reward. But this verse must be read in light of Luke 17:10; 18:29-30 (in this life).,
15) If a believer’s work is burned he shall suffer loss, but his salvation will still remain intact.

Why? Because all believers have been given eternal life upon conversion and has been mandated by Christ to go into all the world to preach/witness (work) and make disciples of men.

Therefore, the gist of 1 Corinthians 3:1-15 is the “work” or task of all believers to preach and witness as per Matthew 28:19!

And, if he doesn’t lead anyone to salvation, it is no big deal, because it is God who increases and does the saving! Romans 10:17

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

The Refiner's fire is burning up the dead works which are unrepentant iniquities that deny Him, but the foundation remains because it was laid by Jesus Christ.
Hi JIF,
Jesus did not lay the foundation. He IS the foundation.

But because of unrepentant iniquities, it is considered as defiling the temple of God where the Holy Spirit dwells which is our physical bodies ( 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 , and death is the destroying of that physical bodies 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 , but the spirit is still saved as verse 15 declares.

So when you read the warning to the church at Thyatira, those who do not repent, shall be judged by their works which is death. The day God judges His House 1 Peter 4:17-19 is that same day mentioned in verse 13 above per your reference.

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

So those saints, and even former believers left behind as cast into the bed of the great tribulation are still saved. They were denied attendance to the Marriage Supper because of still being workers of iniquity at the time the Bridegroom had come, but that foundation remains just as that seal of adoption remains also. The prodigal son may miss out on his first inheritance for wild living, but although he can never get it back, he is still son.
WE are workers of iniquity and all you've said above is correct and true.
But why must we read into everything what you've just said?

Can't Paul also be speaking of those who teach instead of those who are taught? WE are the taught, WE are the temple of God. WE are the ones
who are dwelling with the Spirit of God. Verse 16

1 corinthians 3:16
16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

This refers back to verse 9:

We are the temple, WE are the building that is being built by those who teach us.

Paul began the building....he laid the foundation.
Verse 10

Now men are BUILDING UPON THE FOUNDATION.
Verse 12

And WHO is building upon the foundation?
God's fellow workers,,,,those in the ministry.

Paul is speaking about himself and Apollos.
When does this change in your opinion?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I figured it meant any work that has eternal value. If the value doesn't last longer than this earth, it will be burned up with the earth. Labors for the Kingdom are the ones that last.

Labors for the kingdom would include generosity as well, even though the gift doesn't last forever God will remember and perhaps the recipient as well.
The work being spoken of in 1 corinthians 3:8 is the work that Paul and Apollos are doing. The work they're doing is building the temples of God, which is us.

Paul is teaching the Corinthians that teachers are important and that some will build with gold, silver and precious stones. Verse 12

But some will build upon the original foundation, which is Christ, and which was laid by Paul, with wood hay and straw. Here Paul is saying that the word must be preached, and preached correctly or THAT work will be burned up. Not OUR works, but the works of ministers.

The fire will burn up what each minister had worked in the believer, in the building, if he taught correctly and if he did not teach correctly his reward will be less, or none at all, but he will still be appreciated for his work.
verse 15

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Greetings, GodsGrace!

Until now I would not have made a distinction between dead works and what is described here in 1 Corinthians, but I suppose it is indeed possible that the expression could be limited to works of the Law.

But in answering your question, the works described in 1st Corinthians 8:13-15 most specifically refer to any work done that supposedly builds up the church, i.e. the body of Christ, yet not on the foundation of Christ Himself. What was happening in Corinth at the time was that there were leaders trying to rise up who were making more of themselves than Him, and thereby causing division. They were saying, "I am of Apollos," and "I am of Paul," which was a way to distinguish who they were disciples of in the same self-glorifying sense that students of the Greek philosophers were in doing, and their religious pride was leading to serious problems (hence Paul's use of the expression "puffed up" more than once). This is why Paul went to great lengths in this letter to make himself out to be nothing, because they were making themselves out to be something great in comparison with others (1 Corinthians 3:5-7, 1 Corinthians 3:18, 1 Corinthians 4:10-14). But because they were causing divisions in this church by separating themselves into various groups and not even taking communion together (1 Corinthians 11:19-21), they were essentially destroying God's temple (1 Corinthians 3:16-17), so he was warning them that judgment was coming if they continued to sow division in Christ's body. By trying to build it up with hay and straw rather than gold and silver, they were building that which would burn up in the judgment of God. If dead works is not the expression to use, I would classify them as works that were not truly building His church.

Btw, the notion that this passage was referring to the coming judgment on "the Day of the Lord" is mistaken. The "day" referred here to was coming much quicker for believers back then. It had already come for many of them, for many had fallen sick and many had already died as a result of bringing division to the body of Christ there (1 Corinthians 11:29-34). This is because the Lord was not playing around back in NT times. His Presence was much closer to the church then than now, and He was very serious about how they were conducting themselves. Those who were corrupting His body were often dying as a result (Acts 5:1-11).

Blessings in Christ.
Hidden In Him
Great post HIH.

Paul was upset at the fact that the new converts were declaring who they were supporting....some were for Paul, some were for Apollos. Paul wanted them to understand that they were BOTH working for God, and that it's God who gives the growth, verse 7.

However, Paul is stating that some ministers could build on the foundation he laid (which is Christ) and some would build on it correctly with gold, silver and stones...and some would build on in with incorrect teachings of wood, hay and straw.

Paul had planted at Corinth, Apollos watered, but both are to feed the new Christians and build them up, as one would build a bldg where the foundation is already laid.

In 2 Corinthians 3, Paul again speaks of himself as a minister:

2 Corinthians 3:4-6
4Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

In verse 12 Paul even speaks about the speech of ministers.
2 Corinthians 3:12

12Therefore having such a hope, we use great boldness in our speech,

He also exhorted Timothy as to how to behave in being a minister of God.
This is not new to or limited to 1 Corinthians 3.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You need to be very careful here in accusing people, both past and present, of offering their works for justification. You are completely writing off all those Christians who out of love for God and respect for the law choose to obey and do so by the power of the holy Spirit and to the glory of God.
And not to be too specific, everything that is burned up is your bad character. And this is accomplished in this life, so that by the time of the second coming, you, along with all others who have been sanctified by the truth, make up a church that is presented to the Bridegroom without blemish and without spot.
Brakelite, of course, you can see why I don't agree with your second paragraph. 1 Corinthians is clearly speaking about how works in this life will be judged as the time of our death. I'm good with the second coming.

As to your first paragraph, I don't understand who I'm accusing.
I'm all for works and many here don't agree with me.
However, works do not save us. Our faith saves us. This was true in the O.T. and in the N.T.; nothing has changed.

Once we have faith in God, then we are to offer all our works to Him.
Colossians 3:17
17Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

Galatians 10:9
9Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Absolutely not. John the Baptist said Jesus would baptise with fire. It is a cleansing fire that perfects us that we shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use. It is for this life that we are to be used by the Master. Jesus told the Laodiceans, buy gold tried in the fire. That gold is good character. There is a judgement progressing right now among God's people preparing them for service. Judgement begins in the house of God. The fire that burns away the dross and bad habits, attitudes, and addictions that drag down God's people is a cleansing fire...like the fire that burns through a forest after which there is growth and health. The fire spoken of in this context is not about punishment and rewards. Its about consecration, discipline, and holiness.
It is not only a cleansing fire, but a fire that empowers.
The problem with the Mosaic Covenant is that it told us what God wanted, but it left us with no power except our own to accomplish this.

God made the New Covenant to improve on the M.C.
One was to teach persons how to be civil after 400 years of slavery, and the N.C. was to give us the power to keep the commandments and serve God with our heart.

I agree 100% that it is in this life that we are to be used by the Master.
Jesus was a King....of the Kingdom of God which begins right here on earth.

The fire spoken of in 1 Corinthians 3, however, is about a fire that will weed out bad doctrine and bad works of ministers after their death, and not in this life.
Verse 13
each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.

The day will show it...
The day of the Lord, as would be understood by those familiar with the O.T.
The day of judgement.
The end of this world.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Iniquity is a special kind of sin...a sin committed by believers who mix in flesh with the Spirit.

Jesus covers this sin, yes...IF it is repented of.

We soil our holy garments with the flesh...so that they become filthy. Baby Christians do this unwittingly...but one must "grow out" of doing so unless it become iniquity ...which we are exhorted to depart from.

Zech 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

Here Joshua (the high priest) is treated with leniency since he lacked understanding of the severity of presenting himself before the Lord with filthy garments. God's mercy was shown in giving him new garments.
I understand iniquity to be a very evil or wicked sin.
One which can be said to be mixed in with fleshly planning on doing harm or evil, as you've stated above.

It's more than sinning, sinning means adhering to the sin nature, and we will do this. But doing something wicked requires more evil than sinning,,,it requires planning with the flesh.

For anyone interested in more, I looked up this:

https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/iniquity/

B

brakelite

It is not only a cleansing fire, but a fire that empowers.
The problem with the Mosaic Covenant is that it told us what God wanted, but it left us with no power except our own to accomplish this.

God made the New Covenant to improve on the M.C.
One was to teach persons how to be civil after 400 years of slavery, and the N.C. was to give us the power to keep the commandments and serve God with our heart.

I agree 100% that it is in this life that we are to be used by the Master.
Jesus was a King....of the Kingdom of God which begins right here on earth.

The fire spoken of in 1 Corinthians 3, however, is about a fire that will weed out bad doctrine and bad works of ministers after their death, and not in this life.
Verse 13
each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.

The day will show it...
The day of the Lord, as would be understood by those familiar with the O.T.
The day of judgement.
The end of this world.
I do not accept the concept of purgatory their I have difficulty accepting any idea that after the second coming, people's false doctrines are burnt up, yet those that taught them are saved.

Reactions: GodsGrace

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this a church teaching??
Metaphorically what you say is correct.

But the Tree of G and E was put in the Garden,,,for what reason exactly we do not know. Perhaps so God could give we humans a chance to freely choose not to accept evil?

We have now, through our ancestor, eaten of the tree of the knowledge.
Whereas before they knew only the good, after they knew also the evil, and thus evil entered into the world system.

Evil is now with us and the tree is no longer necessary. We each, INDEPENDENTLY, do not have to eat of it since evil is already a part of us via our sin nature.

Romans 5:12
12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—
Every time we turn on the boob tube to partake of its garbage or turn our head to hear the wrong kind of story, etc., we eat of that tree one more time. If no one after Adam and Eve had eaten of it again, would things have gotten as bad as they have with mankind? When the tree is gone, will not the lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life be gone?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where does it say in Luke 8:18 and forward that "yet he will be saved as by fire".

That is your wording.

Did this every get answered? Maybe I missed it.

1 Corinthians 3:15 King James Version

15 "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

I underlined MAN'S work in the verse.....

Much of what WE call good works is just "our good works"...and that is fine...just fine...but there is no reward for it.
Our works are not God's works through us.
Only the works that God speaks personally to us to do ...are GOOD works. Because they are HIS works ...and all the works that HE does, through us, are GOOD.

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
15 "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

You must have missed post #65 as I reckon many have read it and chose to ignore.

Since you are the only one I see that has a head on her shoulders, please hover on over there and give me your input. Thanks.

To God Be The Glory

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Bad doctrine leads to bad character and behaviour. Bad doctrine isn't true or real....so there is nothing there to burn. It is the effects that bad doctrines have that are the problem.

Paul is speaking of works of iniquity. As in...filthy garments. We have to keep our garments clean or else we will be naked.

Rev. 16:15 “Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who remains awake and clothed, so that he will not go naked and let his shame be exposed.”

We will all be judged by our works...not our doctrines. Although false teaching will be judged as bad character on our part. We will be judged if we spread lies.
Why do you insist on referring to OUR WORKS...YOUR WORKS.
We're so used to reading about OUR WORKS that we can't even see what 1 Corinthians is talking about.

It's talking about BAD DOCTRINE and how those who teach it will have their work burned up,
verse 13
13each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.

But that work is not OUR work, it's the work of the helper's of God, the ministers of God, of which
Verse 8

Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

And, who is it that plants and who is it that waters...
Paul and Apollos, the ministers of God.

Verse 9 is also speaking about God's workers and that WE are the building upon which the builders build with
Gold
Silver
Stones
or
Wood
Hay
Straw

The ministers of God are doing the building. WE are the building.
They will teach with correct doctrine or incorrect doctrine,,,
THE DOCTRINE will be burned, but they will be saved.
Verse 15

Any Man............the ministers of God
Man's Works......the teachings of the ministers.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hello there,
The foundation is Christ and the building must be of Christ, anything less than what springs from the finished work of Christ is wood, hay and stubble.

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head,
Chris
Is 1 Corinthians 3 speaking about the work of Christ or those that do His work, as He commanded in Mathew 28:19-20 to His Apostles and ministers?

Are the works those of the ministers as depicted of being as gold, silver and stones --- or wood hay and straw?

The foundation is Christ.
The building is US.
Those who continue to build on the foundation Paul laid will be held accountable. Paul was the master builder, others will continue to build.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
For we must all appear before the tribunal of Christ, so that each may be repaid for what he has done in the body, whether good or worthless.
This is very true...
But not what 1 Corinthians is speaking of...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi @GodsGrace! Nice to see you on here again ♥

When I read "11 For other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 But if any man buildeth on the foundation gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 each man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire itself shall prove each man's work of what sort it is.", --->I think of:
Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained
that we should walk in them. He gives us opportunity after opportunity to serve Him through loving others. As far as works being burnt up, and the person themselves still saved...IMHO-the works that are burnt up are those done in the flesh, or, to receive the glory from men. I like to say "never seek a crown for yourselves" as He rewards in public those who serve others through Him without fanfare. One of my constant prayers is to see others through His eyes and, to let His desires become a reality in my life. I am not at all who I once was. He truly has changed me in these ways. So, if any good works I do, come from my heart because I DESIRE His will...these are satisfying in their own right. If it is an "obligation" then it is IMHO, not His works...♥ Just my $1.00 :D
Hi Nancy,
Once again, everything you say is good.
However, it does not address 1 Corinthians 3:5-17

You've quoted verses 12 and 13 above.
Jesus is the foundation.
WE are the building, or the temple, as noted in verse 16.

There are men building on that foundation. Who are these men?
Two of them are Paul and Apollos. Who are they?
They are the helpers of God, the co-workers, the ministers of God.

THEY, the ministers of God, are building on the foundation by teaching us. They teach us theology, they teach us about our faith. Some teach better than others, Gold, silver, stones. Some teach badly or even with incorrect doctrine...Wood, hay, straw.

These verses are not speaking about US, who are the building, NOT the builders.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You must have missed post #65 as I reckon many have read it and chose to ignore.

Since you are the only one I see that has a head on her shoulders, please hover on over there and give me your input. Thanks.

To God Be The Glory

Sorry, you are right...you did answer it! And I missed it. :)
Yes amen .

God is the beginning and ending of our faith.
He that began a good work in us , is well able to perform it until the day of Jesus Christ!

God wins. In that we can be confident.

Reactions: Nancy and Jun2u