Why are Catholics so bad?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a Catholic .... I became a Christian outside the denominational church system and I have chosen to not affiliate with any particular group.

But predominately I attend Protestant churches.

Now here is my point .... I had heard my share of "Catholic bashing" from (non-Catholics) .... . But I had a good friend (who was Catholic) and he was constantly inviting me to his Sunday service to hear his music .... I resisted at first .... then decided to go simply to support and encourage him in his musical endeavors.

It was one of the most Christian church services I have ever attended. Period.

Maybe that particular Catholic Group was unique , but I decided never again would I let someone else poison my mind with false judgements of other Christians.

Another interesting thing was I recognized many people in the congregation whom I had known and respected for many years .... it was an "Aha" moment .... I always knew there was "something different" about them. I now credit it to their Catholic - Christian lifestyle.

In the years since .... if somebody bashes Catholics ... I listen and observe carefully ...... and it is now my opinion that their motive is based on an inner pride that is saying "I am better than them"

I do not think The Lord would approve.

By the way .... my friend who invited me to hear his music (his name is Dan) .... well , he was not all that talented on his guitar ... but he persevered anyway.

He has now spent the last 22 years as a Catholic Missionary in Canada's far north ... working with Eskimos and Indians .... and yes ... teaching them to play and sing Christian music.

The few times he takes a vacation down to Southern Canada .. .... he is utterly exhausted and has to ask his friends and family to give him time to rest before his does his visiting..

I am sure I could compile a list of things I dislike about the Traditional Catholic Church ..... but I could probably make a longer list of things I dislike about the Protestant Church.

But my function as a Christian man is to examine myself and try to overcome my own faults ....

My sinful nature hates it when I stay busy examining myself ..... my sinful nature finds it much more enjoyable to find fault with others.

What does your sinful nature enjoy most ??

Best wishes
Arnie M.

Wow Arnie!

You know, I had a similar experience. I attempted to witness Jesus to a women in my graduate program - she was Catholic after all, and obviously needed Jesus. Imagine how shocked I was that she already knew Jesus, personally - and she knew all about church history! Stuff I never even heard of! As a Protestant I was taught that Jesus died, rose and then Luther Reformed the Church......

After attending Mass, I was further shocked - it was filled with scripture! Then the priest talked for 15 minutes and said just as much as any Protestant minister shared in 45 minutes.....

Apparently I had been mislead......

Now, I do not believe Catholicism is for everyone - Jesus is for everyone. Where ever you find Him is the place you need to go - for me it was the Catholic Church.

blessings

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
In some respects I like Catholic ideology.
Catholics are more prone to believe in present miracles,signs, and wonders
The Catholic Charismatic movement was welcomed and blessed by the Pope
Catholics have a since of sacredness about them when dealing with their sacraments that we lack a little in the Protestant church

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics are more prone to believe in present miracles,signs, and wonders
The Catholic Charismatic movement was welcomed and blessed by the Pope
Catholics have a since of sacredness about them when dealing with their sacraments that we lack a little in the Protestant church

There is a great book out there that talking all about this idea - it is called "The Catholic Imagination"

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree. I have met many saintly Catholics. There is also much to be gained IMO by a disciplined reverent God-fearing lifestyle.

Catholics are more prone to believe in present miracles,signs, and wonders.

Yes, that may be true. However, Catholics are also much more prone to make sacred shrines of false apparitions or illusionary images appearing in tortilla shells or reflections in pavement oil stains.

The Catholic Charismatic movement was welcomed and blessed by the Pope.

Now that was impressive, indeed! Would to God that more Catholics embraced the Charismatic movement as well as regularly studied the Word of God.

I sense what you're saying and agree for the most part. The problem lies in properly differentiating the sacredness from religious ceremonialism.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
67."In the face of the unrelenting growth of global interdependence, there is a strongly felt need, even in the midst of a global recession, for a reform of the United Nations Organization, and likewise of economic institutions and international finance, so that the concept of the family of nations can acquire real teeth."

"They also require the construction of a social order that at last conforms to the moral order, to the interconnection between moral and social spheres, and to the link between politics and the economic and civil spheres, as envisaged by the Charter of the United Nations." --Pope Benedict XVI
What the Pope is doing is bagging them in the UN, as being a very foolish organisation.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All churches have their own brand of uneducated, pewsitters, who (maddeningly) often think they know the most about their churches' doctrines. Protestant pewsitters lean Deist / Catholic pewsitters lean superstitious - it is due the different emphasis placed on Christian doctrine, rather than an inherent flaw in the actual doctrines.

Condemning one another, based the nature of the idiocy generated by the uneducated, is to fail to provide an accurate picture of what each church actually professes and teaches.

Therefore, wouldn't we benefit more if we removed our special type of pewsitter from our own eye first before condemning the pewsitters in our neighbor's eye? :)

Ace Michaels

Jul 12, 2012
Wow, what a discussion! There are all kinds of opinions here and I think we need to remember they are opinions. I grew up Catholic and my family still is. I do know that some of the doctrine tthat does not seem scriptural is by Sacred tradition which was passed orally. You could not teach this unless you could recite it back word for word exactly as it was taught to you. I think this is where most of the contreversy comes from. Please remember the Church did not have bibles in the beginning and had to teach orally. Everything that was taught in the beginning was not all recorded in the Bible. And by the way Protestants took several books out of the bible for who knows why, but they did. Catholics are not bad just as Protestants arre not bad. I think some people just need a group to hate. There's my two cents on the issue

Oh, and by the way, demons seem to react strongly to anything Catholic. This is undeniable.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Why are Catholics bad? Everyone says they are, but I see no logical or scriptural reasoning behind it. Give me some instead of just saying that there a cult or something.

First of all, ALL Christians belong to the catholic church. In this sense, catholic means 'universal'. You are probably talking about the Roman Catholic Church(RCC). In this case it not really the members who are bad, just mislead. The bad ones are the ones that use the RCC for their own personal gain or power. Every religion has it's bad points, and every denomination has it's bad points. The RCC being about the oldest denomination around along with the Orthodox churches, they are quite built up with man-made traditions. Then again so are the original Protestant denominations. There has been a long long history of clergy coming out of the RCC and exposing it, and they didn't do themselves any good by trying to hide God from their own adherents. They may NOT be very relevant to the world today, but they aren't bad.
One of the main reasons that caused schisms in the RCC and people leaving to start their own denominations, is the that they use idols in their buildings and that they advocate mediation between God and man by the confessional. The Bible tells us NOT to have images for God and that Jesus is the ONLY mediator between God and man. These are only two of a number of theological differences between Protestants and the RCC.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, ALL Christians belong to the catholic church. In this sense, catholic means 'universal'. You are probably talking about the Roman Catholic Church(RCC). In this case it not really the members who are bad, just mislead. The bad ones are the ones that use the RCC for their own personal gain or power. Every religion has it's bad points, and every denomination has it's bad points. The RCC being about the oldest denomination around along with the Orthodox churches, they are quite built up with man-made traditions. Then again so are the original Protestant denominations. There has been a long long history of clergy coming out of the RCC and exposing it, and they didn't do themselves any good by trying to hide God from their own adherents. They may NOT be very relevant to the world today, but they aren't bad.
One of the main reasons that caused schisms in the RCC and people leaving to start their own denominations, is the that they use idols in their buildings and that they advocate mediation between God and man by the confessional. The Bible tells us NOT to have images for God and that Jesus is the ONLY mediator between God and man. These are only two of a number of theological differences between Protestants and the RCC.

I am a member of the RCC and I find God there every time I go to Mass. I believe my church is relevant in the world today - it certainly got my attention when I joined 11 years ago.

blessings

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
I am a member of the RCC and I find God there every time I go to Mass. I believe my church is relevant in the world today - it certainly got my attention when I joined 11 years ago.

blessings

As a Christian, you should find God when you go to mass, as He is with you, NOT in the building. ;)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a Christian, you should find God when you go to mass, as He is with you, NOT in the building. ;)

When I speak of church, I mean the worshiping Body of Christ, not the building.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the beginning there was God and man, and God walked with man.
Then man fell and over time it came to.
God - prophet - man
then the law came into being and it was
God - high priest - man and the high priest could only enter into the prescence of God by going into the Holy of Holies surrounded by smoke I believe once a year.
Than Christ came
God walked with man,
Jesus gave His life up on the cross so God could forever walk with man, and on that day, the curtain that covered the Holy of Holies was torn in two, for no longer where we seeing as sin, but now through the rightousness of Christ and so in doing so God could forever walk with man.
The way it is supposed to be

God
Jesus - man
Holy Spirirt

The way religion made it

God
Jesus -- Pope - Cardinal - Archbishop - Bishop - Priest - man
Holy Spirit

How much further from God do you want to be

In All His Love

bosco

Mar 10, 2012
That's not really true from a Catholic perspective. Christ multiplied the loaves, but had the Apostles distribute the effects of the miracle; all Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit, but God used human writers to do so. We are many parts in one body, and some are called to different ministries within the body-- the Spirit distributing the gifts-- this is Paul's inspired teaching. To say that one might have bishops and priests does not necessarily stand between Christ and the Spirit, then, according to Scripture.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word 'religion' only became a bad word in the 19th century.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Meanwhile, due to the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings, and the attacks on science, the word "Catholic" became a dirty word centuries before.

bosco

Mar 10, 2012
The sin of Judas didn't render "apostle" a dirty word; the sins of Israel didn't nullify the truth of the covenants. Sin is always sin, but unless the official teachings of Catholicism commanded sin, then the sin doesn't prove those teachings false.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sin of Judas didn't render "apostle" a dirty word; the sins of Israel didn't nullify the truth of the covenants. Sin is always sin, but unless the official teachings of Catholicism commanded sin, then the sin doesn't prove those teachings false.

"The tree shall be known by its fruit" (Luke 6:43-44) There's a fine line between "official teachings" and officially sanctioned sinful policies of the RCC. Judas was told by Christ that it would have been better if he had never been born (Matt. 26:24) and Israel has often born the sufferings and woeful recompense of its reprobate forefathers.

Earlier in this thread, I posted a numerical lengthy list of RCC teachings which directly conflict with the Word of God. So far there have been few Catholics who contested that post.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
"The tree shall be known by its fruit" (Luke 6:43-44) There's a fine line between "official teachings" and officially sanctioned sinful policies of the RCC. Judas was told by Christ that it would have been better if he had never been born (Matt. 26:24) and Israel has often born the sufferings and woeful recompense of its reprobate forefathers.

Earlier in this thread, I posted a numerical lengthy list of RCC teachings which directly conflict with the Word of God. So far there have been few Catholics who contested that post.

We just don't want to waste our time!

There's just as much conflict in Protestant teachings anyway!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would any Catholic bother trying to fit Catholic teachings into the man made dogma of sola scriptura? Why would any Catholic bother trying to fit Catholic teachings into an interpretation of the Bible that appeared 1500 years after Christ ascended? How silly.

Meanwhile, due to the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings, and the attacks on science, the word "Catholic" became a dirty word centuries before.

Right....

Oh, I almost forgot about the Protestant version of I'll have my cake and eat it too........

'Real Christians have been around since Christ ascended......what's that? Christians committed atrocities? nonsense! Those were Roman Catholics!! What?! What's that??? Christian's magically acquired Roman Catholic doctrines like the Trinity and Incarnation of Christ?? Nonsense!! The Catholics must have stolen it from the real Christians!'

oh brother.....

Status
Not open for further replies.