Why did God need to give us free will, or did He need to? Do we really have it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
see all of the choices that implies, that watching a movie or reading a book does not, though; this i can get with no prob, fwiw
Choices? THIS IS THE CHOICE: Realize what is going on here, who you are, where you came from...and how to get outta the situation you're in.

Reactions: bbyrd009

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
some what are accepted, and others rejected?
You want to put "people" in There, right?
Because It says "sons," It can only mean ppl, yes?

And yes, this is a lawyer question, a trick question btw

"sons" can be ppl if you like, with the understanding the we are all
two men in a field, and no one has been taken or left yet,
at least that we can observe, sure

ah, but i see how this is not what you are implying either, is it
go ahead and try it the other way, see what happens i guess
I am sorry, but none of that made sense to me.

Yes. Its talking about people. Not beliefs. People.

The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one

Children of the kingdom are not beliefs. Children of the wicked one are not beliefs. They are people. God is not harvesting beliefs.

I don't know if I am missing something here... But currently I cannot subscribe to your point of view.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd...dont let this get u down, ok? :D
I don't mean it to be an insult or anything.... I truly didn't understand the post. I didn't see the logic in it and the lawyer question goes right over my head.

I didn't even see a question being asked. What was the lawyer/trick question?

I just didn't get any of it. Perhaps if bbyrd009 will explain it to me I can better respond.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Choices? THIS IS THE CHOICE: Realize what is going on here, who you are, where you came from...and how to get outta the situation you're in.

More please..
You stopped too short...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ya, i was gonna marinate on that one a little first myself :)
I am sorry, but none of that made sense to me.

Yes. Its talking about people. Not beliefs. People.

The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one

Children of the kingdom are not beliefs. Children of the wicked one are not beliefs. They are people. God is not harvesting beliefs.

I don't know if I am missing something here... But currently I cannot subscribe to your point of view.
well, no problem, but if tares are people you run into other problems, now satan has children (has production iow, this will clash with other held doctrines) now seekers never have occasion to confess, bc they would be confessing to not just having but to being a tare, some other clashes with Scripture, what are you trying to pull up right now, for instance, (on a forum that would be "by permission" imo, but nonetheless) but imo they are an analogy anyway, right, so if you'll allow me to say this, you can insist that they are any one thing that you like, we don't have to ascribe to each other's pov. Subscribe? subscribe, ya. wow, learn something every day lol been saying that wrong for 40 years

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ah, ty, you are very tuned i guess. Used to bug me sometimes, but now it doesn't, i don't have to understand everything anymore i guess? lol

I am getting to the place where I am glad when do I understand some things, I never expect to understand everything any more! :D
It's a very restful place to live...

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't mean it to be an insult or anything.... I truly didn't understand the post. I didn't see the logic in it and the lawyer question goes right over my head.

I didn't even see a question being asked. What was the lawyer/trick question?

I just didn't get any of it. Perhaps if bbyrd009 will explain it to me I can better respond.
That poor darn bb, he's just not communicating very well...but we still like 'im.
:D

Reactions: FHII and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I am getting to the place where I am glad when do I understand some things, I never expect to understand everything any more! :D
It's a very restful place to live...
you can improve your interpretation by changing your ears; but a bad idea is still a bad idea lol. thing is that any sowing...most causes have more than one effect, advantages and disadvantages, so "judging by the fruit" becomes subjective

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
now satan has children (has production iow
this is how duality is set up, i guess; once you credit satan--who came only to steal, kill, destroy--with production, it is a very short leap to "you must fight satan," see (to destroy his production), which you might even be nodding your head with right now, right, here, 1.5 million hits even agree lol, only you can't find it in the Book, see

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wadr i am still having trouble reconciling that pov with the one where i am watching a movie? Now all the sudden i am the producer? or director, maybe? no longer a character, iow
It is simpler than that really. If the analogies don't work for you, never mind them. It's like this: God is timeless. History is His story...a story set in time. It is written. It has a story line, but only in the story. We are experience His timeless story in would-be real time.

Merry Christmas!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It is simpler than that really. If the analogies don't work for you, never mind them. It's like this: God is timeless. History is His story...a story set in time. It is written. It has a story line, but only in the story. We are experience His timeless story in would-be real time.

Merry Christmas!
U2! :D

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya, i was gonna marinate on that one a little first myself :)

well, no problem, but if tares are people you run into other problems, now satan has children (has production iow, this will clash with other held doctrines) now seekers never have occasion to confess, bc they would be confessing to not just having but to being a tare, some other clashes with Scripture, what are you trying to pull up right now, for instance, (on a forum that would be "by permission" imo, but nonetheless) but imo they are an analogy anyway, right, so if you'll allow me to say this, you can insist that they are any one thing that you like, we don't have to ascribe to each other's pov. Subscribe? subscribe, ya. wow, learn something every day lol been saying that wrong for 40 years
Satan does have chilfren just as God has children. The children of God are not beliefs, are they? If you are saying the tares and the children of the devil are beliefs, then it must be so for the wheat and the Children of the kingdom.

And yes... Subscribe. I do not subscribe to your point of view (I got the phrase from a Sting song). Not ascribe. That word is about cause and effect.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how about the Two Men in a Field part? Fam with that being you at all?

um, iow that is not two people, but a description of one person

I believe that two men in the field means there were two men in the field.

I am a firm believer in the outward man and the inward man... But that was Paul's teaching. Yes Jesus gave it to him. But Jesus only touched on the idea in his ministry. This wasn't where he did so.

Jesus said during this sermon to remember Lot's wife. Well... She didn't leave her body behind and her spirit followed.

Jesus said when the son of Man is revealed and you are on your rooftop, don't go down to get your stuff. He didn't say let your outward man get your stuff and your inward man leave.

Again, I don't agree with you on two men really being one man.

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old man and the new. Changes completely which one you would want to be, the one leaving or the one staying. This view has helped me with Luke's "two men in a bed..."

I think the wheat and the tares is similar. We are the wheat and within us are tares. God knows they are there and tells us to leave them until harvest. At which time we will be "mature" and the tares are easily separated. I also use view gold/dross the same way. We are the gold and the refining process removes the unwanted dross.

Unconvientional I know. But it helps to apply these things to myself than to assume I'm the one taken, the wheat, and the fine gold.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
If an image is created and a Light projected through it over time, is that image any different along the way or at the end, than it was in the beginning? No, but what was once unseen, has come to light.

While I do understand what you are saying: The only problem I see, is that the "light" projected through it, does not arrive instantaneously at the "end". Just as if the sun ceased, we would not realize it for approx. 8 minutes.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
He didn't say he loved everyone in it.
so you say, but that may not be true at all; i read that He sent His Son for us, while we were yet sinners, ie "in the world."

However, there is the caveat of "whosoever believeth". And whosoever loves.

Rom 11:22 Behold then the goodness and severity of God: toward them that fell, severity; but toward thee, God's goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Jam 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when he hath been approved, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to them that love him.

<snip>

tares can best be perceived as beliefs imo, and not people
As the parable is explained, I must disagree.

Reactions: FHII

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
<snip>
well, no problem, but if tares are people you run into other problems

<snip>

Mat 13:36 Then he left the multitudes, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Explain unto us the parable of the tares of the field. ... 41 ... and them that do iniquity

While I understand what you are saying regarding "beliefs", for "tares" from my perspective are faux "believers". Those with the appearance of "wheat", but who aren't actual wheat. Those who refused to love the truth.

Of course, the answer to that, varies so widely that I must wonder if anyone really knows.

Reactions: FHII