Why do you feel it is so hard to be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said concerning His people, “None of them shall teach his neighbor,
Since the NT is full of teaching, and Paul says to teach one another, and he teaches us about the gift of teaching, we know this does not mean everybody finds and teaches himself the truths of God.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody said about the destruction of the law. A strawman or a misdirection? Whatever.

Tong
R4274
Jesus said he did not come to destroy the law. But many in the church have in fact destroyed the law with their misguided 'I'm not under the law' argument (yes, we are not under the law, for what that actually means). They do not understand how faith in God upholds the law of Moses, not tramples it down. And their misunderstanding comes from the belief that to uphold the law means to literally keep all it's commands. Which is not true at all. And so, since they do not know this, they cast it away completely, as you are doing.

Reactions: BarneyFife

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chances are not that, but that we know differently what it means for the true believers to no longer be under the law.
Of course that's the case!

I've often wondered how it is that people think others won't see right through their little linguistic ploys.

But so many can't seem to resist the urge to get their digs in, little insults that they are thinking will help their case.

Much love!

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Tim.1:9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine
If this means faith does not have to uphold the law then that negates other scripture that says faith does uphold the law. 1 Corinthians 5:7-8 will give you a clearer understanding of what Paul is driving at here.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you need a Law to tell you not to murder?

What sort of person needs a law to tell them that murder is wrong? The child of God? Or the child of Adam? Both?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said he did not come to destroy the law.
Of course not! Murderers still need the Law to tell them it's wrong. And that Law will condemn murderers.

Do you require a law against murder so that you won't murder?

Much love!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said he did not come to destroy the law. But many in the church have in fact destroyed the law with their misguided 'I'm not under the law' argument (yes, we are not under the law, for what that actually means). They do not understand how faith in God upholds the law of Moses, not tramples it down. And their misunderstanding comes from the belief that to uphold the law means to literally keep all it's commands. Which is not true at all. And so, since they do not know this, they cast it away completely, as you are doing.

Of course Christ did not destroy the law or do away with it, it is still in effect for the Jews.
It is an irrelevant point, because it would be near to impossible to obey what people think are the Ten Commandments much less the 613 Mosaic Laws. There are laws that command and allow things that would either put you in prison or an insane asylum. Even the simple things like no engraved images and the cutting of your hair and beard, what would you do with that?
The other problem is the body of the Mosaic law that in spirit is severely inferior to Christian beliefs.
Just a few of the examples....
Of course the over all treating women as property.
Mosaic Law governed a father selling his daughters as a sex slave....concubinage.
Mosaic Law governed a father selling his daughters into polygamous relationships.
According to the Mosaic Law if a father sold his daughter off and she did not bleed on her first night with her husband, he had the right to kill her and leave her body at her father's door step.
Mosaic Law governed the rules of war...kill all the breaths but keep the virgins for yourselves....and they were raped for the rest of their lives.
The Mosaic Law required if a woman was raped in the city and she did not scream, she would be killed with her raper.
The Mosaic Law if a woman was not engaged or married and she was raped, the rapist would pay for her and rape her the rest of her life.
And their is more...
It is not just the immorality of the Law but the spirit of the law that was seriously flawed.

Hebrew 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.

Hebrew 8:13 In that He says, “ A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Paul referred to the Mosaic Law as the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, 2nd Corinthian 3:7

Still as a whole and as a plan to bring mankind to the knowledge of a higher moral code...the Mosaic Law was a tutor but now that we have Christ's teachings of a much higher code of ethics and spirit, the Law no longer applies to Christians.

We do not have to worry about looking to the Law ethics, for anything that was good in it, is include in Christ's teachings.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BE GOOD AND DO GOOD has become my slogan on this forum.
I feel like the Johnny Appleseed of be good.
Why has it come to this on this forum?.
Probably one of the most worth while discussion we could have.
I CONTEND THAT IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO BE GOOD!
I CONTEND THAT IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO LIVE A NEARLY SINLESS LIFE!
NOW PROVE ME WRONG!

The truth will set you free! Be honest.
It is the hardest thing in the world to give up our cherished opinions and ambitions and allow Jesus to live out His life in us fully. The Bible is full of remarks about the struggle of the believer. I do believe, however, that once the surrender is truly made, and the consecration becomes a matter of habit, it is much easier to deny the tempter. My fiercest temptations have only been overcome when I chose to turn to God and say "I can't handle this; You have to do it for me, Lord, or I will surely fail." I learned this on my own, by the Scriptures and the direction of the Holy Spirit. :)

However, I have since found it expressed in an old book called "Lessons On Faith" which is really just a series of articles from a Christian newspaper published about 125 years ago. It is very simple and somewhat repetitive in its presentation, so YMMV. :)

It can be found here.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just this last weekend I went out and got drunk and fornicated all that I “ wanted” to—- that did not amount to much because I did not “ want” to ....this is very typical of us “ New Creations” That have been Given “ New Hearts”...... we do what we “ want” and God Transforms our “ wants” so that they Line -Up with His......Christianity 101....

Has God changed the “ desires of your heart” or have you made a “ god” out of will- power and self-control? Paul warns about “ Will Worship”.....It’s what religionists do.....this is why they are miserable people ....they have to FORCE themselves to do the things that just flow naturally from New Creations....are you a “ New Creation?” Are you SURE? Seems like you are missing something....

Reactions: marks

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God believes we have the capacity to be good.

“ No man is good- No, not One!”

If you have the Holy Spirit in you, God can work HIS GOOD in and through you.....Jesus said, “ Without ME, you can do NOTHING!” He meant it...even the most meritorious things that we do are tainted because we do them for some kind of reward, or pay- off

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not too many people do, no. But the ones who despise others for no reason... Like Christians who despise Muslims, and democrats, and evangelicals, and Adventists, and Catholics, and left wing university professors, and....
The ungodly need laws, that's for sure!

I had asked you if you needed a Law against murder so you won't murder anyone. You answered in general, but not for yourself. I'm supposing that you don't. That your heart is not murder someone. I'm the same way.

We don't murder, but not because of the commandment, but because it's not in our hearts to murder. Is that right?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't murder, but not because of the commandment, but because it's not in our hearts to murder. Is that right?
If it is in our heart to murder . . . what is our correct response?

To say, Murder is against Law, so don't do it!

Or to say, Murder isn't love, and I want to love, so God help me to love!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is hard for me can be easy for others. I'm 69yo. I still remember remarks on my report cards from school as an 8yo. Easily distracted. That hasn't changed. I will determine in the morning to do something, and all of a sudden it's late afternoon and I have to rush it, or put it off till tomorrow etc etc. Like prayer even and Bible study. I don't like it, but that's a weakness I've always had. I get involved in stuff that distracts me from my purpose. And not developing the discipline that diligent Bible study requires and faithful daily meaningful prayer, had slowed down God's ability to sanctify this stubborn old soul. He's making headway, but I'm not helping as much as I should
My wife is that way. Things which I can accomplish in an hour require days for her due to her OCD and whatnot.

We are all very different, and have very different needs. So we're not to judge.

Helping as much as you should? Says who?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 1:14
King James Version

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

An example of the flesh in a believer's life is the temptation to curse someone who has just cursed you out.

The Holy Spirit is going to tell you not to return evil for evil but to defeat evil by doing good.

But the flesh is the part of you that wants to get even and be vengeful. So if you give in to what your flesh wants you may sin and curse that person out in return.

The flesh = the Old Man = who you were before rebirth. The man born from Adam.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...things that just flow naturally from New Creations....are you a “ New Creation?” Are you SURE? Seems like you are missing something.
But you claim that even if it doesn't flow naturally they are still new creations. Your doctrines are so contradictory that they have no credibility.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just this last weekend I went out and got drunk and fornicated all that I “ wanted” to—- that did not amount to much because I did not “ want” to ....this is very typical of us “ New Creations” That have been Given “ New Hearts”...... we do what we “ want” and God Transforms our “ wants” so that they Line -Up with His......Christianity 101.
And yet you say you sin willfully everyday. You just can't make up your mind which is true. Your doctrines have no credibility whatsoever.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...even the most meritorious things that we do are tainted because we do them for some kind of reward, or pay- off
You mean like this? ↓↓↓

"24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games trains with strict discipline. They do it for a crown that is perishable, but we do it for a crown that is imperishable." 1 Corinthians 9:24-25

Last edited: