Why does the believer continue to believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked that question to someone recently, who answered, "because they want to".

Hebrews 3:14 KJV
14) For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

We look at verses like this, and many explain them as saying, you remain in Christ so long as you remain believing. Is that what the passage says? No, it doesn't. It is saying you've become a permanent partaker of Christ, and that this is shown by the fact that you hold your confidence to the end. It's there in the grammar.

Whether or not you think that someone could "lose their salvation",

Here's my question.

The Christian who remains believing, lifelong, why do they do that? Why would a believer NOT abandon their faith? Why is it that a Christian remains believing?

My answer is that as we've received Christ, we now have the faith of Christ, and He keeps us safe. That having been reborn in His pattern, we will always trust Him, even if only in the inner man.

What other answers could there be?

Does the one continue in faith because they are a better, stronger person? God has chosen the weak.

Does the one continue in faith because they have obtained a better salvation? We have obtained like precious faith.

What other answers can you think of?

1 Peter 1:3-5 KJV
3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Much love!

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked that question to someone recently, who answered, "because they want to".

14) For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

We look at verses like this, and many explain them as saying, you remain in Christ so long as you remain believing. Is that what the passage says? No, it doesn't. It is saying you've become a permanent partaker of Christ, and that this is shown by the fact that you hold your confidence to the end. It's there in the grammar.

Here's my question.

The Christian who remains believing, lifelong, why do they do that? Why would a believer NOT abandon their faith? Why is it that a Christian remains believing?

My answer is that as we've received Christ, we now have the faith of Christ, and He keeps us safe. That having been reborn in His pattern, we will always trust Him, even if only in the inner man.

Does the one continue in faith because they are a better, stronger person? God has chosen the weak.

Does the one continue in faith because they have obtained a better salvation? We have obtained like precious faith.

3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Much love!

"The Christian who remains believing, lifelong, why do they do that? Why would a believer NOT abandon their faith? Why is it that a Christian remains believing?"

In a word "TRUTH". He has been so faithful how can one unbelieve what we already know as truth?
Can't do it! :D

Reactions: APAK and TLHKAJ

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Christian who remains believing, lifelong, why do they do that? Why would a believer NOT abandon their faith? Why is it that a Christian remains believing?"

In a word "TRUTH". He has been so faithful how can one unbelieve what we already know as truth?
Can't do it! :D
There was a friend of mine who liked to ask people, have you been saved long enough to be sure you are?

I always thought that was a good question!

Much love!

Reactions: APAK and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a friend of mine who liked to ask people, have you been saved long enough to be sure you are?

I always thought that was a good question!

Much love!
Ahahaha! Very good question for those "questioning" their faith :D

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Marks. My answer here would be that it's because they have not faced severe adversity yet. I know of many Christians who believed for a time (or as you might interpret it, thought they believed), only to become very despondent when a loved one died - a brother, a child, a spouse, a father - and suddenly their world seemed to turn upside down. They began doubting God, and if He was truly there or not. Others witness terrible things and start to experience these same doubts. They fall under the heading of those in the Parable of the Sower who endured but for a time, but when adversities came along they wilted away in the heat.

I know some take the position that they never were true believers to begin with, but this seems to contradict what I see in people. They appear to be genuine believers for a time - walking with God, studying their Bibles, attending church, praying, worshipping - but when something severely painful happens, suddenly they realize they never counted the cost, and that they must give their all to Christ, including those they love most. Some can't do that, so they depart from a faith they once adhered to. Others become seduced by stronger temptation than they have ever faced before, and they succumb.

But I suppose the question then turns to what constitutes "a true believer." Just giving my own thoughts here.

Reactions: Brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marks. My answer here would be that it's because they have not faced severe adversity yet.
What I'm meaning to ask here is, why does a Christian continue to believe throughout their life?

1 Peter 1:7 KJV
7) That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

"Trial of your faith", is literally, the proving of your faith. How is it the Christians continue to believe even when their faith is sorely tested, like you've described?

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I'm meaning to ask here is, why does a Christian continue to believe throughout their life?

7) That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

"Trial of your faith", is literally, the proving of your faith. How is it the Christians continue to believe even when their faith is sorely tested, like you've described?

Much love!

Ah. My apologies for misunderstanding then. I think my answer to that would be that the Spirit of God keeps us (Jude 1:20-21, Jude 1:24).

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Because when you've tasted and seen ... you can't go back....

“O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.” — Psalm 34:8 (KJV)

John 6:67-69 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ⁶⁷ Then said Jesus unto the twelve,
Will ye also go away? ⁶⁸ Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. ⁶⁹ And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

We should all expect fiery trials, tribulations, and persecution if we follow Him.

“Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” — 2 Timothy 3:12 (KJV)

Romans 8:15-17 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹⁵ For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. ¹⁶ The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: ¹⁷ And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:9-12 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁹ Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
¹⁰ Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
¹¹ It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
¹² If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” — John 16:33 (KJV)

Reactions: marks

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here's my question.

Much love!
Hebrews 12:1-2 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹ Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, ² Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Here's my question.

Much love!

WE remain saved because God who began our salvation, will be Faithful to complete it. Philippians 1:6

We remain in faith because Jesus is the author and finisher of our Faith.. Hebrews 12:2

But........saving faith, (Grace through faith).... is a one time situation, whereas being kept by faith, is a Jesus situation.

The Joy of Salvation, is knowing that God takes care of it. And He well should as He bled and died to create it.
Reader.....rest in this understanding, and find peace for your soul and power for your holiness.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Joy of Salvation, is knowing that God takes care of it. And He well should as He bled and died to create it.
Rest in this understanding, and find peace for your soul and power for your holiness.

Yes, He well should!!

:)

We need to remember, our salvation is what God wants! He could have created anything, anyone, any way He wanted to. He created this. And we fell into sin but He stepped in to save us.

I think it's all about love.

He wants us to learn what real love is, and how much love He has for us. Jesus demonstrates real love. And we will do the same but not of ourselves, we have to give ourselves over completely to Him, believing what He says.

Much love!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yes, He well should!!

We need to remember, our salvation is what God wants! He could have created anything, anyone, any way He wanted to. He created this. And we fell into sin but He stepped in to save us.
He wants us to learn what real love is, and how much love He has for us. Jesus demonstrates real love. And we will do the same but not of ourselves, we have to give ourselves over completely to Him, believing what He says.
Much love!

Salvation is God's Blood.
Its God's Blood poured out (shed) as our SALVATION.
God's blood, makes us SINLESS, and keeps us SINLESS.
How can it not?
If it didn't, then it's useless, but Praise GOD its Eternal Life given as a GIFT.
The Blood Atonement, makes us Righteous and Keeps us Saved.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is saying you've become a permanent partaker of Christ, and that this is shown by the fact that you hold your confidence to the end.
Not according to @Behold . He says permanent partakers of Christ do not have to hold their confidence to the end.....
However, if you lose faith, fall away, etc........and you were born again before you did, you are just as saved as the Blood Of Jesus has the power to cleanse you of all sin, including those, and all others..
See, sin was dealt with by God on the Cross, and you denying it, wont change it for me, or for any real believer.
Once you are born again, you are always born again, and how you think or believe, later, has no effect on the NEW BIRTH.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"@ marks"..

To properly answer your question...
I consider specific "words", and noting...
(There are "believers", calling themselves "Christians", called by others, "Christians" who HAVE and DO stop believing.)

Common word ~ "Believer".
Common word "implication" ~ "Christian".

When a man is "introduced" to any subject...
He listens, He MINDFULLY, is LOGICALLY, weighing (between)...
"believing what he hears", AND "doubting what he hears".

* When a man is "intrigued" by any subject he "IS" hearing....he "continues" hearing.
THAT ^ is the BASIC Christian.

* When a man is "Logically / Mindfully" concluding the "impossibility" of what he IS hearing...he "concludes impossible"...and Logically / Mindfully" rejects, walks away, stops hearing.
THAT ^ is the BASIC EXAMPLE, of the crowds that gathered, that Listened to JESUS.

Some, Continued to LISTEN (even when the Mindful Logic of their MIND concluded DOUBT).
Some, Walked Away, (acting on the DOUBT, their Mindful Logic concluded).

Inanutshell -
The man WHO hears, listens AND CONTINUES hearing and listening...

TWO things are Happening at the SAME TIME.
1) the man IS being enLIGHTened.
(Not like mans age of "enlightenment"...
But 'enLIGHTENED", by Hearing the TRUE KNOWLEDGE of the "THE LIGHT", who IS the WORD of God.
2) Every WORD of God a man hears ...
IS a man being "GIFTED" measures OF GODS GIFT "OF FAITH".
^ THAT'S THE PHENOMENAL LESSON.
* A man, does not see, feel, notice, comprehend, the GIFT of FAITH, God is giving the man.
* There is nothing visible, as a package to reach out an take, a package to unwrap to see what it is... It's an UNSEEN POWERFUL GIFT from GOD...for the man WHO SIMPLY CHOOSES TO HEAR Gods WORD.

We find examples in Scripture...
Jesus' chosen Disciples...Hearing, believing, Doubting, Wondering, believing, Denying...
The Crowds Also...Hearing, believing, Doubting, Wondering, believing, Denying...

Every man who IS...Hearing, Believing, Doubting, Wondering, "continuing"... <---- KEY.."continuing".
Can AT THAT TIME ...
CAN BE CALLED....
A Believer...even A Christian

It IS EXPRESSLY, "CONTINUING" to Hear...
Where ALL the phenomenal works of Hand of God, intercedes in that mans life.

Gods GIFT of FAITH "increases"....as the man
"Continues" to Hear.

It's an OLD LESSON...[ Speak the Word of God, FIRST to the ears of your children...of what God HAS DONE... Speak the Word of God, What God SHALL DO ...
WHY ? [/B]

* Common sense First... a person CAN NOT UNHEAR what they HAVE HEARD!

* And GODS teaching...
Ex 10:
[2] And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them;
WHY ?
that ye may know how that I am the LORD.

Gods GIFT of FAITH, IS A GIFT, Gods SENDS to the "THOUGHTS" of a man MIND ... oops HEART ...

As a man CONTINUES TO HEAR, the man continues TO RECEIVE increased measures, OF GODS GIFT OF FAITH, TO the mans HEART.

Every individual man, BY his OWN measure of "received" FAITH IN his HEART...
"individually"...
By his own "HEARTFELT" understanding...
"CONFESSES his HEARTFELT BELIEF out of his OWN mouth".

(It has nothing to do with mommy and daddy thinking its "time" for a kid to confess, or confessing to get community kudos or confessing to get a potiental suitor interested.)

It IS IN FACT, the individual, "AGREEING TO ESTABLISH A ONCE and FOREVER Relationship with the Lord God Almighty"

The terms, believer and Christian, DO thereafter APPLY... BUT remember, those terms ALSO APPLY, to ANY person, WHO is momentarily Hearing and Following along...." BUT NOT IN AN ESTABLISHED "COMMITTED" RELATIONSHIP WITH THE Lord God Almighty"...

Any man NOT in a "Commited" Relationship with the Lord God Almighty"...
CAN and DO...Walk away.

True they HAVE received "measures" of Gods Gift of Faith...BUT without a "COMMITMENT"... THEY CAN and DO walk away.

They ARE CALLED "fallen from Faith".

So WHY can the "man in a Committed Relationship With the Lord God Almighty....
NOT FALL AWAY? Never Again Reject God?

SIMPLE...
" The man IS KEPT IN Faithfulness "expressly" TO the Lord God Almighty Only, and Forever, BY the "POWER" OF the Lord God Almighty Himself."

And the Lesson IS:
* Gods Power IS Supreme Over ALL other Powers.
* FYI... THE NAME of Gods POWER...
IS CHRIST.

Acts 8
[10] To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.

1 Cor 1:
[24] But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, He well should!!

Much love!
Amen He faithfully overcomes.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not according to @Behold . He says permanent partakers of Christ do not have to hold their confidence to the end.....
I understand @Behold 's view, I think. I don't think you may have the same understanding. You would need to reach deeper into what he's trying to show you. It's the same thing that I am.

The focus on sin and on yourself is all wrong. You keep on as if you are just making an acedemic point. That point is in fact one of the most elementary in Christianity.

Some received the word immediately with joy, but when the persecution came, they just fell away. There was no root. Yes. If you don't believe, you won't be born again, you won't have new life, and you won't be saved.

Got it!

But the thing is . . . you don't stop with that truth, and you use this to shift being saved, or, staying saved, to yourself, off of Christ. And this is error. God never let's you go, pure and simple. It's not up to you.

When you come to understand that to be reborn is something that will never ever change, you enter a new realm of faith, freefall, it's not on you.

You go on and on about, You're still saved if you don't believe? The born again believe. You can't not believe if you are born again. Do you believe you are real? You experience a sense of self in a body, so sure, of course, you do.

Being born again, there is a new sense of self, a new person, and we can tell. And not just that. This is a "shared space". I'm not alone. You may stop believing you are a person but I have zero expectation I will stop believing that God is with me.

Perhaps that's my best answer to my OP, why does the believer continue to believe? Because they are not alone.

My counsel to all is to make sure you know Him, and aren't just trying to follow a feel good path of keeping some rules or something.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is God's Blood.
Its God's Blood poured out (shed) as our SALVATION.
God's blood, makes us SINLESS, and keeps us SINLESS.
How can it not?
If it didn't, then it's useless, but Praise GOD its Eternal Life given as a GIFT.
The Blood Atonement, makes us Righteous and Keeps us Saved.
Amen!

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus

Here's my question.

Much love!

Appreciate the Scriptures that you shared on this topic.
I actually wrote a book on this topic. To continue to believe is to practice Philippians 3:10 over the course of a lifetime. I like the Amplified version:

"10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]"

As we grow in our relationship with Christ, or to use the vernacular I used in my book to "see God more clearly and the world through His eyes", we can't help but continue on in our faith. However, if we choose to remove ourselves from regular fellowship with Him and His Church and instead immerse ourselves in the world, then it is natural that our faith will fade.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I really only want to answer from personal experience. I think the Bible would harmonize with my experience, but some may disagree. What has kept me in the faith for over 40 years? What has kept me believing despite some very serious trials? Jesus. His promises that no trial we meet is greater than we can bear is due to His constant support.
My Christian walk began with a trial. 3 months in God asked me to move to another city, away from everything I was currently enjoying. He challenged me to trust Him in other words. 1 day after arriving the specific job I wanted was advertised, and I started working the 3rd day. Trials are set before us to increase our faith and to confirm God's power to see us through the other side. A succession of such tests and trials over 40 years has convinced me to stick with my faith. God is faithful. I have no doubt that there are greater trials... More intense trials... To come. After all, these are the last days. Thus far God has proven Himself to me as a faithful loving powerful God Who cares intensely for my welfare. Right now, I have no cause whatsoever to doubt. I pray that He will be merciful to me and gracious, that tomorrow I will feel the same. His promises are that He will.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace