Why is faith without works dead?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because one who chooses not to work, truly does not love God. James really summed it up well in Chap 2 verse 18: Nevertheless, someone will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.. . .

Those with real faith, will in fact show it by their doing the will of God like you asked in your other post.

Reactions: MatthewG

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
James 2 helps us to appreciate that one can believe, but to just believe does not demonstrate that one is fully convinced - sure 100%. It must be demonstrated.
There are many examples I can think of.
One is where someone says, like the apostles did, " Lord. I am ready to die with you." Really?
When it came down to it, they all scattered. They lacked faith.

Paul was willing to fight wild beasts.
Daniel continued routinely praying despite the severe consequences given. He demonstrated faith in God.
His three companions faced the fiery furnace, trusting in God.
Hebrews 12 is full of examples.

A father tells his son, "Jump. I got you."
Does the child really have full assurance? If he jumps, he demonstrates he does.
The demons believe God is, but they do not demonstrate by works that they have faith - full trust in God.

Faith is backed by works. Without works, one just believes, but that belief is fickle. It will crumble in a moments notice, and be blown by a breeze.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith without works is focusing just on one's self. Of course there are some who can't "work".