Why is only satan bound for 1000 years?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in other words this thread is total speculation and an exercise in Christian fantasy. That's ok, most of the threads are the same, fantasy derived from pulling a verse or two out of the context of scripture and attempting to make a unique doctrine out of them. Just another sign of the times.

Well, atheists believe the Bible is fantasy. I can't stop them.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True, but the verse he quoted didn't have to do with the future, but before the flood.
Apparently, there is no demonic activity in the earth to do satan's bidding during the 1000 year reign. Where did they go? Or are they present but unable to do harm during this time? Or did they get cast into the bottomless pit with him? We don't know.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My question is when Jesus is reigning for 1000 years, what will the earth be like seeing as it won't yet be changed into a new heaven and a new earth.
It will be like Eden, IMO. Going out on a limb here, but if you're not martyred in this life you won't participate in the 1000 year reign. You will be resurrected after the 1000 year reign and enter into the kingdom at that time.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It will be like Eden, IMO. Going out on a limb here, but if you're not martyred in this life you won't participate in the 1000 year reign. You will be resurrected after the 1000 year reign and enter into the kingdom at that time.

Sounds like you're of the type who see the "first resurrection" as inclusive only of those martyred by the Beast? I should think, personally, that the "first resurrection" includes all of the saints, whether martyred or not, since the hope of the general resurrection was never made exclusive to martyrs (unless you view Rev 20 the way you seem to do).

Therefore, it seems much more likely that the "first resurrection" includes all saints, whether dead or living, since Jesus himself never distinguished the martyrs from those who died otherwise or those still alive in the time he returns. The focus on the "martyrs" in Rev 20, therefore, seems to be purely an amplification, and not an exclusion. The passage wishes to stress the importance of Christian fidelity during the reign of the Beast, since that is the peculiar emphasis in this part of the book of Revelation.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So is satan a huge red dragon with 7 crowned heads and 10 horns or is he a beautiful fallen angel?
That is a non sequiter.
I had said "It's the details that make the message."

to this post:
"It is the message of revelation chapter 20 that matters not the minor details and the message is that the great chain (the power of the gospel) is what binds satan from deceiving the nations. Satan is now confined to this world and the darkness of this world there is no escape for him."

and to this post...
"I believe that it is because the binding of satan is not a literal binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which was literal."

I had said...
"If you take the 'literalness' out of Scripture you end up with mushy porridge."

I probably should have said, 'How do you objectively determine when a passage is literal or not besides your own biases'?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like you're of the type who see the "first resurrection" as inclusive only of those martyred by the Beast?
Not just martyred by the beast in the end time, but martyred through out human history. I suspect that it's only for the martyred because it seems to say that, and it keeps the Great White Throne Judgment following the 1000 year reign in Revelation 20:12 consistent with Matthew 25:32 where both the righteous and the unrighteous stand before the Lord in Judgment (popular teaching says the righteous are not present at the Great White Throne Judgment). But then that muddies up the timing and nature of the official second coming of Christ. Lot's to think about here. That's why I'm not dogmatic about this subject.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not just martyred by the beast in the end time, but martyred through out human history. I suspect that it's only for the martyred because it seems to say that, and it keeps the Great White Throne Judgment following the 1000 year reign in Revelation 20:12 consistent with Matthew 25:32 where both the righteous and the unrighteous stand before the Lord in Judgment (popular teaching says the righteous are not present at the Great White Throne Judgment). But then that muddies up the timing and nature of the official second coming of Christ. Lot's to think about here. That's why I'm not dogmatic about this subject.

Yes, there are lots of points I'm not dogmatic about either. My concern is with the idea that somehow martyrs are given special preference in the Millennium. Would that be a concern of yours also?

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes, there are lots of points I'm not dogmatic about either. My concern is with the idea that somehow martyrs are given special preference in the Millennium. Would that be a concern of yours also?
The martyrs killed during the GT are to be priests of Jesus and shall reign with Him for the thousand years. Revelation 20:6b
The rest of the martyrs, those killed from Stephen until today, and all the Christian dead; must await the GWT Judgment. This truth is quite logical, as there are millions of martyrs - they can't all be priests and co-rulers!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The martyrs killed during the GT are to be priests of Jesus and shall reign with Him for the thousand years. Revelation 20:6b
The rest of the martyrs, those killed from Stephen until today, and all the Christian dead; must await the GWT Judgment. This truth is quite logical, as there are millions of martyrs - they can't all be priests and co-rulers!

Well yea, I've asked those questions. If we're a "nation of priests," so to speak, are we *all* priests? I'm not really sure of the answer. I think in a sense we are all priests, if we are obedient Christians, because when we're obedient, we share the Gospel message and Gospel morality, acting in a sense like a priest to the world.

In another sense, we're not all leaders in the Church. Each has his own gift, though every one of us represents God in our world in some way.

But to conclude that because only the martyrs are mentioned in Rev 20 that only the martyrs of the Tribulation rule goes beyond common sense for me. It's possible that's what's meant, yes. But I doubt it.

All through Scriptures, whenever we read of the general resurrection, it is a single event all saints in the past and present ages are looking forward to, to take place at the coming of Christ. So I would read it like this (my comments added):

Rev 20.4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge [who are the faithful Church from all ages, both dead and living]. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus [including the martyrs in the final Tribulation].

This view sees the thrones as all-inclusive, including the saints of all present and previous ages, now either resurrected or caught up to be glorified with Christ as he descends from the clouds. The martyrs of the Tribulation are an appendage to this group, added on by necessity because they also are included in the universal Church of present and past ages.

A special recognition is made of them because they are in the midst of the final test of the age. They are encouraged to endure under the most difficult circumstances, upon pain of death. It is not a new event, but it is a like event to Christian experiences of the past, and make the point that endurance to the end leads to salvation, as well as to rule.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My concern is with the idea that somehow martyrs are given special preference in the Millennium. Would that be a concern of yours also?
No, that's not a concern of mine. They have a much greater reward than those of us who won't shed our blood in our struggle with this world.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that's not a concern of mine. They have a much greater reward than those of us who won't shed our blood in our struggle with this world.

Are you sure about that? Those who are tortured for their faith appear to pay a higher price for their faith than those who are simply killed without pain? Why would we want to say that the more you suffer, the more you will be rewarded?

That seems to make God hungry for our suffering? Should we really pursue that? And, more importantly, do the Scriptures confirm that?

I personally think that every one of us gives up our carnal lives on earth for the Kingdom of God, and experiences the displeasure of this wicked world. Why wouldn't that be equally rewarded, simply for doing the right thing, for obeying God's command for our lives?

I think that those who truly give up their lives for the spiritual life of Christ would be the 1st to say that they're no better than anybody else. And I think it would be false humility for us to give up our acceptance by this world for the life of Christ and then say we deserve nothing in the Kingdom of God!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, atheists believe the Bible is fantasy. I can't stop them.
No, but you can validate their opinion by promulgating foolish imaginings over random verses, which is what people are prone to do in these last days. Its nonsensical fantasy doctrines that makes the church a joke to the world instead of priests and ministers but that's exactly what the tares want to do in the church.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you sure about that? Those who are tortured for their faith appear to pay a higher price for their faith than those who are simply killed without pain? Why would we want to say that the more you suffer, the more you will be rewarded?
Because of this perhaps?

"Others were tortured and refused their release, so that they might gain a better resurrection." Hebrews 11:35​

Should we really pursue that?
You first, lol. I'm not volunteering for it. But I know that I can pursue it if I want to. And that it will be rewarded in the life to come.

And, more importantly, do the Scriptures confirm that?
I think the Hebrews 11:35 verse I posted confirms it.

Why wouldn't that be equally rewarded, simply for doing the right thing, for obeying God's command for our lives?
As I'm sure you know, there is such a thing as losing reward by not doing that which would solicit that reward.

...I think it would be false humility for us to give up our acceptance by this world for the life of Christ and then say we deserve nothing in the Kingdom of God!
I was suggesting no such thing. Martyrdom is not the difference between having a reward and not having any reward. Martyrdom means a greater reward.

Most of us fall into this category of believer and will continue to be in this category for the remainder of our lives.......

"...you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood." Hebrews 12:4​

And we will receive whatever reward it is that we will receive for whatever acts of sacrifice and service we have made in this life. But it won't be as great a reward as those who were martyred for their faith in Christ.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of this perhaps?
"Others were tortured and refused their release, so that they might gain a better resurrection." Hebrews 11:35

This isn't at all saying someone is getting a "better resurrection" than somebody else's resurrection! Rather, this is saying that there is a resurrection for the lost and a resurrection for the found, and that *all* the found get a "better resurrection!"

As I'm sure you know, there is such a thing as losing reward by not doing that which would solicit that reward.

Yes, but I was talking about Christians who do what they were called to do. In your scenario, Paul and Peter would get a better reward than John, because John wasn't a martyr. I don't believe that.

Obviously, when Christians fail to fulfill their calling, they will lose some of their reward.

I was suggesting no such thing. Martyrdom is not the difference between having a reward and not having any reward. Martyrdom means a greater reward.

Sorry, your quote was misused and does not prove that. You'll need to find a better proof text.

Most of us fall into this category of believer and will continue to be in this category for the remainder of our lives.......

"...you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood." Hebrews 12:4​

You are also misusing this passage. This refers to the process of maturity, where acts of righteousness begin to be attacked by the ungodly world. The passage did not mean to say that physical suffering is the only way to prove your determination to be righteous, but it is a legitimate way to test how genuine your faith is.

It isn't a matter of how much blood you lose, but rather, about how sincere and determined you are to live in righteousness.

This persecution happens against the righteous, whether it leads to martyrdom or not, whether you physically bleed or not. The point is, living in righteousness sometimes leads to physical injury and requires prior commitment. Unless there is a full commitment, a person will back down when it comes to pain and suffering.

And we will receive whatever reward it is that we will receive for whatever acts of sacrifice and service we have made in this life. But it won't be as great a reward as those who were martyred for their faith in Christ.

I still don't see that, based on the passages you offered. But if that's all you have, okay.

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. But the reason why they were chained has nothing to do with the rest of the fallen angels and Satan.
There is only one group of fallen angels. They have been bound until now. In the 5th Trumpet judgment is when they will be loosed. They will continue for 5 months, then attack heaven at the 7th Trumpet. Then they will be cast out for the final time. One does need to read all Scripture. The verse quoted was mentioning the 5th Trumpet judgment.