With So Many Denominations...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes...the inner man is our weak central person that Jesus came to save. We put on Christ (the new man) as our strength by entering INTO Him. Also called the armour of light.

To be strong in Christ means we need to put off the power of the flesh...the old man..first. When we are weak then God completes us by giving us His spiritual covering.
Thank you for responding and clarifying here!

Reactions: Episkopos

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.
It sounds like:
"You folks are a mess; you better hope I stay alive for a while."

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What the scripture as I read it shows, is that 'Today is the day for rejoicing rather than some remote future time after the dirt is thrown over the faces of our bodies of flesh.
This is real good stuff here. Eternal life begins now. Paul and Silas sang hymns as they lay (probably on their backs on a mud floor) in stocks. Joy in the Lord is where you make it!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Agreed, except that I don't think Lucifer's situation was without explanation to some degree. God's creatures that are endowed with reasoning powers (mostly humans and angels) have creative capability and tendency and also an appreciation for beauty. Lucifer combined these two and created the sin of pride. In a manner of speaking, he lingered just a little too long in front of the mirror in preparation for an assembly. Thus he was overtaken with self-esteem and the notion that he could govern himself and others as well as God could. There's an entire video series on this subject here:
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000066.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000067.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000068.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000069.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000070.wmv
Mmm. Self governance. A whole lot could be said about that.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
With all the many Christian denominations and sects out there, how can one know which one is closest to teaching the truth about Jesus and the Gospel, especially if they all claim to be arriving at truth through basically the same method?
Yeah, BarnyFife & all on this thread. Wow. What a fascinating topic to read up on.

I thoroughly enjoy researching the history and features of religious parties, cults, sects, denominations, movements, streams, paradigms, and persuasions.

Jer 5:30-31 "An astonishing and horrible thing has been committed in the land: (31) The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule by their own power; And My people love to have it so. But what will you do in the end?

Whenever the Holy Spirit directs me to serve Him by serving my fellows in some way, I do so knowing there will be elements of domination, intimidation, manipulation, and seduction to contend with. Even in so-called non-denominational contexts I have been in there has still been a tendency for some among their retinues to overemphasise what it is that sets their group apart from others, and to adhere to an established routine in association with a perceived authority-base.

Over the years I have occupied myself with the following passage in order to gain a better understanding of the dynamic of God's Ekklesia, and have arrived at the satisfactory belief which I am now attempting to persuade and indoctrinate everyone with, that despite the errors and inadequacies of denominational institutions, if the saints are being equipped, if the work of ministry is being achieved, and if the body of Christ is being edified, this is worthy and should be encouraged and supported.

Eph 4:11-16 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, (12) for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, (13) till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; (14) that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, (15) but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— (16) from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But are you still naked? Now that you know?

All sins will be forgiven men, but still God urges, be reconciled to Him.

Much love!

And to cover their nakedness, what?

"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." Gen 3:7

"Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them." Gen 3:21

What happened that Adam and his wife were clothed twice? First they clothed themselves and then God clothed them. Anything like that happening today? Are there any who clothe themselves and never take upon themselves the clothing which God is offering?

Are there then some who read the book, the Bible, and learn it as well as a man can with his carnal mind, and refuse to consider or accept the possibility that God may have more to offer... more than the letter of the Book? OSAS is one of the things that comes to mind, but it is certainly not the only clothing that man has put on or offered to others effectively bypassing God Himself... is it?

@bbyrd009 What again was Nehushtan? Do we see Nehushtan also in this?

"And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived." Num 21:8-9

"He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan." II Kings 18:4

Reactions: bbyrd009

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What happened that Adam and his wife were clothed twice? First they clothed themselves and then God clothed them. Anything like that happening today? Are there any who clothe themselves and never take upon themselves the clothing which God is offering?
I heard a preacher once say this, "Try an experiment . . . when you leave for lunch, come back clothed only in fig leaves. You won't feel very clothed, will you?"

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OSAS is one of the things that comes to mind, but it is certainly not the only clothing that man has put on or offered to others effectively bypassing God Himself... is it?
Permanent rebirth.

That's being clothed in Christ, I think.

I think that there are those who, having been clothed with skins, who then try to go back and add their fig leaves again.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Permanent rebirth.

That's being clothed in Christ, I think.

I think that there are those who, having been clothed with skins, who then try to go back and add their fig leaves again.

Much love!
Yes, having heard from God and having received His call... and then finding a comfortable pew so as never to walk forward again.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, having heard from God and having received His call... and then finding a comfortable pew so as never to walk forward again.
I see this more as having received righteousness from Christ, and then thinking that I can add something to it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me . . . a verse that says, walking in the Spirit . . . not sitting in the Spirit!

:)

Reactions: bbyrd009