Worshiping Security

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feels good to possess the Truth, right? Maslow did not include it as our most basic need, without reason. Ah security - possessing the key to Biblical knowledge; knowing that Jesus is the only way to the Father; knowing how the world works because it is all laid out in the Bible - the very book you posses the key to understanding. I've known several people who are no longer Fundamentalist, who miss the security of knowing, the most.

The strange thing is, Jesus never preached safety. His life certainly wasn't safe - He didn't even have a secure place to rest his head at night. Our call out of the Temple is a call towards loving others, which is a call to flexibility and the unknown. Turning back towards the security of the Temple is to repeat the behavior of the Egyptian Israelites and Lot's wife. Instead we are called to imitate Abraham, who set out into the desert from his secure home in Sumer. Forsaking security and personal ownership of ideas, pet theology, and drive to be right all the time is the faith Christ is talking about.

Seems to me that many Christians strive to possess as much knowledge as possible about doctrines and theology, which they mistake as living the Christian life. I believe knowing has little to do with loving and this Christian practice (should only be a hobby) can lead to devaluing people in place of knowledge and law. It can also keep us on the bench rather than playing in the game.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Well, even though our salvation is secure we should be responding to His Grace and repent daily.

arold10

Jun 4, 2011
Homestead, Fl
I believe knowing has little to do with loving and this Christian practice (should only be a hobby) can lead to devaluing people in place of knowledge and law. It can also keep us on the bench rather than playing in the game.
First of all, it's God's will for His children to know the truth of His Word due the fact that their lives are to be dominated by truth. I don't really see anything wrong with believers having an intense hunger of wanting to learn more and more about the Word of God. The more truth you know, the more your eyes will be opened. The more truth you know, the tougher it is for anybody to deceive you. Lastly, the more truth you know, the more likely it is for you to get a good grasp of how God operates.

After all, knowing the truth is not enough because what's going to make the difference is the love of the truth which can only be expressed by our willingness to apply it daily in our lives. As Christ says in (John 14:15) If you love me, obey my commandments.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
arold10 said:
First of all, it's God's will for His children to know the truth of His Word due the fact that their lives are to be dominated by truth. I don't really see anything wrong with believers having an intense hunger of wanting to learn more and more about the Word of God. The more truth you know, the more your eyes will be opened. The more truth you know, the tougher it is for anybody to deceive you. Lastly, the more truth you know, the more likely it is for you to get a good grasp of how God operates.

After all, knowing the truth is not enough because what's going to make the difference is the love of the truth which can only be expressed by our willingness to apply it daily in our lives. As Christ says in (John 14:15) If you love me, obey my commandments.
So are cognitively delayed persons and the illiterate barred from knowing God?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Security is an illusion. This is a perilous world we live in. If you crave security you will always be disappointed.

While you live in this world you are taking chances. This is why, whatever happens good or evil, you just trust in God.

He knows what is best for us and will guide us.

Reactions: aspen