Young adult hangout thread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have 12 grandkids and if I had known what fun they would be I would have had them first.
I have four grandchildren. The 11-year-old doesn't like being alone, but likes playing video games. So she will call me on the phone, and after "hello" she will put the phone down on the desk while she is playing her video game. She doesn't talk to me. As long as she knows that I am on the other end of the phone, she is at peace. <giggle>

Reactions: Josho and marksman

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
anyone want me to ignore them? go ahead and post a pic of an aborted fetus in your signature.

Reactions: Stan B

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This sermon is a Scripturally unbalanced by someone who is psychologically deranged, suffering an obsessive-compulsive disorder called workaholism.

A workaholic is a person who works compulsively. The term originates from alcoholism. The person works at the cost of their sleep, meeting friends or family. While the term generally implies that the person enjoys their work, it can also alternately imply that they simply feel compelled to do it.

That is FAR from what a balanced view of Scripture teaches. As you go through the Bible, you will see God's abundant plans for sabbaths, feast days and celebrations where all work must cease! Apart from the weekly sabbaths, there were a whole lot of other feasts throughout the year, where they enjoyed a week of rest. And then every 7th year, all work must cease for a full year, and on Jubilee years the 7th year Sabbath is followed by a second year of refraining from work.

God's balanced plan involves a lot of time off for feasts and celebrations. He is not the God of workaholism! He is the God of rejoicing and celebration.
Being a good steward of the time God has given us is a good thing, I have no idea if the guy is a work alcoholic or not, it's a good message though. What are we doing with our time? We're here to glorify and worship God, participating with Him in His Kingdom, so aren't we to actually work for Him?

Idk, I thought it was a good thing to hear, when I heard it a couple of years ago - or so - it made me wake up and be more deliberate in how I spend my time.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Being a good steward of the time God has given us is a good thing, I have no idea if the guy is a work alcoholic or not, it's a good message though. What are we doing with our time? We're here to glorify and worship God, participating with Him in His Kingdom, so aren't we to actually work for Him?

Idk, I thought it was a good thing to hear, when I heard it a couple of years ago - or so - it made me wake up and be more deliberate in how I spend my time.
I did not say he was an alcoholic, I said he was a workaholic.

It is important to keep a healthy balance between work and having fun.

I am 78 years old, and I have had a fun life, especially in the summer months when we all wanted to go camping on the weekend, I would start my weekend on Thursday, so we usually had a 4 day weekend during the warm months. When I look back over my life, I don't think about the work days, but the fun days when I was away from work.

While is good to worship God, it is also important to celebrate God, and all the good things He has given us. The law of the tithe, which I have never heard preached honestly in church, says that the tithe of the first and second year is not to go to the 'church' but for a grand fanily vacation:

22“You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. 23“You shall eat in the presence of the LORD your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always. 24“If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the LORD your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the LORD your God blesses you, 25then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses. 26“You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household." Deuteronomy 14

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have four grandchildren. The 11-year-old doesn't like being alone, but likes playing video games. So she will call me on the phone, and after "hello" she will put the phone down on the desk while she is playing her video game. She doesn't talk to me. As long as she knows that I am on the other end of the phone, she is at peace. <giggle>
@Stan B ....Interesting, from the granddaughter...

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say he was an alcoholic, I said he was a workaholic.

It is important to keep a healthy balance between work and having fun.

I am 78 years old, and I have had a fun life, especially in the summer months when we all wanted to go camping on the weekend, I would start my weekend on Thursday, so we usually had a 4 day weekend during the warm months. When I look back over my life, I don't think about the work days, but the fun days when I was away from work.

While is good to worship God, it is also important to celebrate God, and all the good things He has given us. The law of the tithe, which I have never heard preached honestly in church, says that the tithe of the first and second year is not to go to the 'church' but for a grand fanily vacation:

22“You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. 23“You shall eat in the presence of the LORD your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always. 24“If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the LORD your God chooses to set Hie is too far away from you when the LORD your God blesses you, 25then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses. 26“You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household." Deuteronomy 14
I did write workaholic, accidentally put a space between the 2 words.

If you look at that teacher's life, it probably is balanced, but he was placing an emphasis on people who waste too much of the time God gave them.

We're usually all about entertainment here in the western world.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh man that drove me crazy. Mom always said "where are my grandchildren." Lol. But I really had a time clock. It was just time. We celebrated our 5 year anniversary yesterday. I married at 28

And grandma and my aunties on mum's side, they always ask why haven't I got a girlfriend yet, Lolz Grandma wanted me married by 25.

But why me, why me? What about all my other cousins, maybe they should be asking them when they are going to get married. :p

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And grandma and my aunties on mum's side, they always ask why haven't I got a girlfriend yet, Lolz Grandma wanted me married by 25.

But why me, why me? What about all my other cousins, maybe they should be asking them when they are going to get married. :p

I think with my mom, it was because she realized she was getting older. It used to bug me to no end. When you marrying? When you giving me grandchildren? But I think I'll have that desire to in the future. I just hope to not pressure my kids. Especially in this day and age. I just want to stress no gay marriage or sex before marriage. That is what means a lot to me.

Reactions: Josho

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Marriage does make you feel older I guess. :D Maybe I am not so much a "young adult" then I think. Just with the amount of younguns there are, millinials and generation y are not that far in age and place in life.

I wouldnt feel pressured in marrying or having kids though. Paul even said it was far better to be single like him, because you have that full devotion to God. I definitely desired a family though.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marriage does make you feel older I guess. :D Maybe I am not so much a "young adult" then I think. Just with the amount of younguns there are, millinials and generation y are not that far in age and place in life.

I wouldnt feel pressured in marrying or having kids though. Paul even said it was far better to be single like him, because you have that full devotion to God. I definitely desired a family though.

True I think it's also the fact, that I am mum's only child, dad had 2 kids from a previous marriage before he became born again.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower You'll very soon be thinking about other things, no doubt, as the big, special day approaches in the goodness of God...

Oh for sure. :) I'll probably be off for awhile on here. It is also nice to have a thread like this, because I don't pm men privately. It is a conviction for marriage. But I don't mind having male friends though. I think I just sort of miss talking with people around my age that are not 2 and are around the same spiritual maturity as I am. (Hubby works thirds). I learn a lot from older generations, but I just like to just talk about God. Have some fun mixed into it. Not so much into debate on different views. But meditating on one or two verses in context and letting that sink into my heart. And don't forget the memes!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh for sure. :) I'll probably be off for awhile on here. It is also nice to have a thread like this, because I don't pm men privately. It is a conviction for marriage. But I don't mind having male friends though. I think I just sort of miss talking with people around my age that are not 2 and are around the same spiritual maturity as I am. (Hubby works thirds). I learn a lot from older generations, but I just like to just talk about God. Have some fun mixed into it. Not so much into debate on different views. But meditating on one or two verses in context and letting that sink into my heart. And don't forget the memes!
Oh I know that when I was in hospital, my wife visited me but I couldn't read the Bible but did enjoy meditating on parts of it that I knew, especially Philippians.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Josho : No need to be in a hurry; there is a saying: Marry in haste; repent at leisure...

Better to keep waiting on the Lord and concentrate on spiritual goals according to Scripture...

Reactions: Mayflower and Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho : No need to be in a hurry; there is a saying: Marry in haste; repent at leisure...

What you said there reminds me of Abraham and Hagar.

When the Lord promised Abraham a son to Sarah at old age, he seemed to have got a little impatient, as a result he had Ishmael through Hagar.

He still had Isaac in the end though, the child that the Lord had promised Abraham and Sarah.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was 28 when I married. My brother [14 years younger than me] was 36 when he married. [Both of us are still married to our first and only wife.] His children are the age of my grandchildren. He was married 26 years last month. I'll be married 48 years later this month.

So don't worry about it. When and if God has someone for you, it will happen.
Just stay on the Lord's side and give God the glory!

Reactions: Mayflower and Josho