“Before Abraham Was, I Am.”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Ex. 3:14 God identified Himself to Moses as “I AM THAT I AM” AND "I AM’; and in John 8:58 Jesus said, “Before Abraham was I am.” Some try to draw the conclusion that Jesus was claiming to be the God of the Old Testament, because they both use the same expression “I am.” But the Apostle Paul also used the same expression in 1 Cor. 15:10: “By the grace of God I am what I am.” Obviously this does not prove that the Apostle Paul and Jehovah God are one and the same person! When God in Ex. 3:14 stated His name as “I am who I am” and “I am,” He was indicating, not His appellation, but His character and nature. Similarly, the Apostle Paul was indicating his character when he said, “By the grace of God I am what I am.”

And similarly, Jesus was indicating His nature when He said, “Before Abraham was, I am.” Jesus here affirmed that He had existed before Abraham and had ever since continued to exist. Please notice the expression “I am”—present tense. Why this? It is used to express that a non-terminated existence, viz., that of Jesus, which He as the Logos had before Abraham lived, had never up to the time of His speaking in this text come to an end, which proves that when the Logos became flesh (John 1:14), He did not die while undergoing the transfer from a spirit plane to the human plane of existence. Without dying, the same person was transferred from one nature to the other (2 Cor. 8:9; Phil. 2:6, 7) and lived continuously during the transfer. Jesus in John 8:58 was not trying to prove that He and His Father were one and the same person. To have done so would have been to deny God’s Word and His own teachings in general.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus in John 8:58 was not trying to prove that He and His Father were one and the same person. To have done so would have been to deny God’s Word and His own teachings in general.

Hello Berean,
. 2 persons.. One God..

Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Peace be with you!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Ex. 3:14 God identified Himself to Moses as “I AM THAT I AM” AND "I AM’; and in John 8:58 Jesus said, “Before Abraham was I am.” Some try to draw the conclusion that Jesus was claiming to be the God of the Old Testament, because they both use the same expression “I am.” But the Apostle Paul also used the same expression in 1 Cor. 15:10: “By the grace of God I am what I am.” Obviously this does not prove that the Apostle Paul and Jehovah God are one and the same person! When God in Ex. 3:14 stated His name as “I am who I am” and “I am,” He was indicating, not His appellation, but His character and nature. Similarly, the Apostle Paul was indicating his character when he said, “By the grace of God I am what I am.”

And similarly, Jesus was indicating His nature when He said, “Before Abraham was, I am.” Jesus here affirmed that He had existed before Abraham and had ever since continued to exist. Please notice the expression “I am”—present tense. Why this? It is used to express that a non-terminated existence, viz., that of Jesus, which He as the Logos had before Abraham lived, had never up to the time of His speaking in this text come to an end, which proves that when the Logos became flesh (John 1:14), He did not die while undergoing the transfer from a spirit plane to the human plane of existence. Without dying, the same person was transferred from one nature to the other (2 Cor. 8:9; Phil. 2:6, 7) and lived continuously during the transfer. Jesus in John 8:58 was not trying to prove that He and His Father were one and the same person. To have done so would have been to deny God’s Word and His own teachings in general.

Actually Be, anyone who is honest and reads the whole account knows that he was answering the question posed to him at the time. He was point blank asked how could he know Abraham, who existed centuries prior to him, but they choose to make it seem he was answering something else. You are quite accurate Jesus did know Abraham personally, and did exist during the same time as Abraham, and that is what the passage is all about. Remember as well, I am was the pick of the translator, and that term was relatively insignificant in both places where it occurs. Moses was asking what God's name was, and I am was not the name He gave, but many say that God said His name was I am, even though that was not what He said. Why? Likely to supply evidence to support their desire to have Jesus as their God, same way the people tried to make him their King when he was on earth.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
39 You examine the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is those very Scriptures that testify about Me; 40 and yet you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. John 5:39-40

All are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Pax et Bonum!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God! Pax et Bonum!
Hmmm ... Matthew 22:11-14
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Reactions: David in NJ

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are way off here.

To the contrary, "I am" denotes a timeless oneness with God, just as Jesus said. Paul then was sent by Jesus, and his claiming the same status--just as he also said, "for me to live is Christ", simply confirms that Jesus' prayer that those who are His would also be One just as He and the Father are One, was answered.

You do not get to make void what God has joined together.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmmm ... Matthew 22:11-14
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Hi Berean,

Indeed, shall one attend the wedding without first taking the nuptial bath, and receiving their garment?

1243 The white garment symbolizes that the person baptized has "put on Christ,"42 has risen with Christ. the candle, lit from the Easter candle, signifies that Christ has enlightened the neophyte. In him the baptized are "the light of the world."43
The newly baptized is now, in the only Son, a child of God entitled to say the prayer of the children of God: "Our Father."

1244 First Holy Communion. Having become a child of God clothed with the wedding garment, the neophyte is admitted "to the marriage supper of the Lamb"44 and receives the food of the new life, the body and blood of Christ.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Pax et Bonum

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dear Friend,
Believe just as it is written: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

God is not a singular entity. God is Three Eternal Persons as One Unity that can never be separated.
This is the Foundation of God= the Word from the Beginning = Let Us make man in Our Image according to Our likeness = 3

Read and Pray the Gospel of John and Genesis before the LORD

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Berean,

Indeed, shall one attend the wedding without first taking the nuptial bath, and receiving their garment?

1243 The white garment symbolizes that the person baptized has "put on Christ,"42 has risen with Christ. the candle, lit from the Easter candle, signifies that Christ has enlightened the neophyte. In him the baptized are "the light of the world."43
The newly baptized is now, in the only Son, a child of God entitled to say the prayer of the children of God: "Our Father."

1244 First Holy Communion. Having become a child of God clothed with the wedding garment, the neophyte is admitted "to the marriage supper of the Lamb"44 and receives the food of the new life, the body and blood of Christ.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Pax et Bonum

Yeah, i was born and raised in the catholic religion that has no merit before the Lord Jesus Christ and cannot wash a man from his sins.

Today, i am Born-Again by the Eternal Spirit of God and washed clean in the Blood of the Lamb who died once and for all.
NEVER to suffer again and HE is Risen and Exalted to the Right Hand of God.
The Lord Jesus Christ is the High Priest and Chief Apostle of all who belong to Him - Amen

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, i was born and raised in the catholic religion that has no merit before the Lord Jesus Christ and cannot wash a man from his sins.

Today, i am Born-Again by the Eternal Spirit of God and washed clean in the Blood of the Lamb who died once and for all.
NEVER to suffer again and HE is Risen and Exalted to the Right Hand of God.
The Lord Jesus Christ is the High Priest and Chief Apostle of all who belong to Him - Amen
Thats right my friend , the LORD set you free from that bondage . Let the glorious Lord be praised my friend .

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Ex. 3:14 God identified Himself to Moses as “I AM THAT I AM” AND "I AM’; and in John 8:58 Jesus said, “Before Abraham was I am.” Some try to draw the conclusion that Jesus was claiming to be the God of the Old Testament, because they both use the same expression “I am.” But the Apostle Paul also used the same expression in 1 Cor. 15:10: “By the grace of God I am what I am.”
You are definitely NOT a Berean but a false teacher. You are actually denying that Jesus is God and that He established His claim by proclaiming that (1) before Abraham was I AM, and (2) if you believe not that I AM you will die in your sins. Also you have italicized "I AM" instead of capitalizing it, to further add insult to injury. Then to drag in what Paul said is simply a red herring to confuse people, and to deny the deity of Christ. So "Berean" do you believe that Jesus of Nazareth is Almighty God, or do you not?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are definitely NOT a Berean but a false teacher. You are actually denying that Jesus is God and that He established His claim by proclaiming that (1) before Abraham was I AM, and (2) if you believe not that I AM you will die in your sins. Also you have italicized "I AM" instead of capitalizing it, to further add insult to injury. Then to drag in what Paul said is simply a red herring to confuse people, and to deny the deity of Christ. So "Berean" do you believe that Jesus of Nazareth is Almighty God, or do you not?

CORRECT - When JESUS said IAM he was telling those, and us, who HE is = the same IAM that spoke to Moses and appeared to him.

it's late for me and i missed his quote from Paul

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Colossians 1:15-17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

of course he will be before abraham

Reactions: michaelvpardo

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:15-17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

of course he will be before abraham

Christ did not say HE was before Abraham.
Christ said HE is IAM.
"before Abraham IAM"
IAM is the LORD who spoke to Moses and appeared to Him on the Mountain in Exodus.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it will be shown on his fruits
not on words you should know uour friend first before you put a dot on it

This is true and you may be a devil as well.

And the LORD showed me the way in how to deal with devils.

They have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony.

All who know and love the Lord Jesus Christ, sing with me.....

1. What can wash away my sin?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    What can make me whole again?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
    • Refrain:
      Oh! precious is the flow
      That makes me white as snow;
      No other fount I know,
  2. For my pardon, this I see,
    For my cleansing this my plea,
  3. Nothing can for sin atone,
    Naught of good that I have done,
  4. This is all my hope and peace,
    This is all my righteousness,
  5. Now by this I’ll overcome—
    Now by this I’ll reach my home—
  6. Glory! Glory! This I sing—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
    All my praise for this I bring—

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it will be shown on his fruits
not on words you should know uour friend first before you put a dot on it
Its true i dont know him very well , but its also true what i said , GOD set him free from the power of the CC
And thus i say PRAISE the GLORIOUS and WONDEROUS LORD .
Ye shall indeed know them by their fruits .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its true i dont know him very well , but its also true what i said , GOD set him free from the power of the CC
And thus i say PRAISE the GLORIOUS and WONDEROUS LORD .
Ye shall indeed know them by their fruits .

Do you personally know member stredaleve?

Since we are not with each other in physical social contact here on a Christian forum, we can only avail ourselves to the Testimony of Christ which we either bear upon our spirit/words or we deny Him.

My question is, who is this stredaleve and why did he/she feel it necessary to cast doubt upon your heart Brother, since you have been speaking with me for some time now.

This is interesting and we should all take note.

I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.