1599 Geneva Bible!!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many people have declared Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide from an English Bible which has been in the KJV. Really, I don't feel I have to "prove" any more to you (even though I am not strictly KJVO).

Really, I should move on...

So just dismiss all the other Bibles, whether they came before at the same time or more recently.

Giving the KJV total credit for sola Scriptura is a bogus claim. There are still people using the Geneva and other Bibles. Tons of people were born since the early 70s when the NIV came out.

In 2018 the five most popular Bibles in order, most to least, are:

1. New International Version
2. New Living Translation
3. King James Version
4. Christian Standard Bible
5. English Standard Version

Reactions: Mjh29

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So just dismiss all the other Bibles, whether they came before at the same time or more recently.

Giving the KJV total credit for sola Scriptura is a bogus claim. There are still people using the Geneva and other Bibles. Tons of people were born since the early 70s when the NIV came out.

In 2018 the five most popular Bibles in order, most to least, are:

1. New International Version
2. New Living Translation
3. King James Version
4. Christian Standard Bible
5. English Standard Version
No, I was objecting to your dismissal of the KJV, if you read carefully what I read.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I was objecting to your dismissal of the KJV, if you read carefully what I read.
I know what you said.

Fact is what I said is accurate.

King James is a Bible, but it has a lot of errors, archaic English and is just not a good study Bible.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translate ~ Transliterate

Something is going to get lost in the text, less one is familiar with the "context".

If one to were write...
William said: "Yo dog that's so cool"...

Another may think that William is speaking to a DOG and Telling the DOG, something is not warm.

The "context" of Gods Written word, is purposed for men to "learn" the SAME things ABOUT God.

The "context" of the words written ABOUT Jesus, is for men to "learn" the SAME things ABOUT Jesus.

The "context" pertaining to men, is purposed for "other" men to "learn" through the "other" mans "choices'.

It is simplistic;
You want what "the other man HAS"...
Do what "the other man DID".

The Corruption of the World's WAY is:
Some hide and wait for another to Gain,
Then sneak in and TAKE what the other has Gained.

The Beauty of thee Lord God Almighty's WAY is:
No man can sneak in and TAKE what He "has" personally Given a man.

Another man, can not;
see, hear, touch, smell, taste what the Lord God personally Gives a man.
And to many an other man...can't understand it, to his own frustration.

In Simplicity...Translation ~ Transliteration
It is all in what is "most comfortable" for the individual reader to grasp from the "text".

"IF" the "context" is whack...that also is the individuals own choice to continue or reject any Translation ~ Transliteration.

People can read, many different Translations ~ Transliterations....

I would presume some people are NOT "comfortable" with the "text", and such individual has to decide for himself if "one Translation ~ Transliteration," to be so offensive, in distorting thee Lord God Almighty's INTENT, that that person has the option, to reject that Translation ~ Transliteration...or not.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what you said.

Fact is what I said is accurate.

King James is a Bible, but it has a lot of errors, archaic English and is just not a good study Bible.

Hi ~

Could you give me an example of ONE of the many "errors" you have found in the KJV?

Thank you,
God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi ~

Could you give me an example of ONE of the many "errors" you have found in the KJV?

Thank you,
God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken
Here is one that has been misunderstood by many because of the error it makes when read in our present English.
Luke 14:26
No one should have to be told, "Well, it doesn't mean what it says...." Declaring THAT would mean that you needn't take ANY sentence in the book as it is written.... Just go ahead and give it another meaning.
It SHOULD have ben written more like it was here:
Luke 14:26 The Passion Translation (TPT)

26 “When you follow me as my disciple, you must put aside[
1] your father, your mother, your wife, your sisters, your brothers—yes, you will even seem as though you hate your own life. This is the price you’ll pay to be considered one of my followers.

Footnotes:
  1. Luke 14:26 Or “hate.” This is an Aramaic and Hebraic metaphor for putting Jesus above every other relationship. The Aramaic word sna has several meanings and can mean “hate” or “put aside.” In this case, Jesus, the King of love is not saying to hate but to put aside every other relationship into second place. The meaning becomes quite clear in the Aramaic language.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi ~

Thank you,
God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

Sure.

In Acts it says the apostles went there for Easter. But the Jews did not celebrate Easter, they celebrate Passover. Passover is about death and Easter is about resurrection. As well Christ had not died yet to be resurrected.

The Jews did not celebrate Easter because it did not exist as a holiday then. It is a Catholic invention which adopted the worship of Ishtar.

So that is a blatant error inserted into the manuscripts used by the Catholics. Manuscripts from the 1500s, which is what the KJV used.

Genesis, in the KJV, says the earth was, but the Hebrew says became shapeless and void.

In the OT the KJV talks about female temple prostitutes. But in fact they were male prostitutes.

The archaic English does not have word meanings the same as we use today. So what one thinks it says often is not what it says.

Here's an article that takes a balanced approach looking at the KJV.

Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is one that has been misunderstood by many because of the error it makes when read in our present English.
Luke 14:26
No one should have to be told, "Well, it doesn't mean what it says...." Declaring THAT would mean that you needn't take ANY sentence in the book as it is written.... Just go ahead and give it another meaning.
It SHOULD have ben written more like it was here:
Luke 14:26 The Passion Translation (TPT)

26 “When you follow me as my disciple, you must put aside[
1] your father, your mother, your wife, your sisters, your brothers—yes, you will even seem as though you hate your own life. This is the price you’ll pay to be considered one of my followers.

Footnotes:
  1. Luke 14:26 Or “hate.” This is an Aramaic and Hebraic metaphor for putting Jesus above every other relationship. The Aramaic word sna has several meanings and can mean “hate” or “put aside.” In this case, Jesus, the King of love is not saying to hate but to put aside every other relationship into second place. The meaning becomes quite clear in the Aramaic language.

I don't find this as an error.
I think the error is people believing "hate" is the "opposite" of love. It isn't.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 14:26 New International Version (NIV)
26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number:
3404 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
misevw from a primary misos (hatred)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Miseo 4:683,597
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
mis-eh'-o Verb
Definition
  1. to hate, pursue with hatred, detest
  2. to be hated, detested
Pretty simple to me. Those that love the condition we and others are in simply are not going to pursue Christ in redemption. They are satisfied with the world and who they are in the world.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure.

In Acts it says the apostles went there for Easter. But the Jews did not celebrate Easter, they celebrate Passover. Passover is about death and Easter is about resurrection. As well Christ had not died yet to be resurrected.

The Jews did not celebrate Easter because it did not exist as a holiday then. It is a Catholic invention which adopted the worship of Ishtar.

So that is a blatant error inserted into the manuscripts used by the Catholics. Manuscripts from the 1500s, which is what the KJV used.

Could you be a bit more specific, Chapter and verse? I do not find your claim.

Genesis, in the KJV, says the earth was, but the Hebrew says became shapeless and void.

Again could you be more specific, Chapter and verse you are speaking about?

In the OT the KJV talks about female temple prostitutes. But in fact they were male prostitutes.

Again, could you be more specific, Chapter and Verse?

Here's an article that takes a balanced approach looking at the KJV.

Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

Thanks for sharing someone's opinion, didn't much find it a balanced approach, just someone's opinion, and have no interest to debate some unknown mans opinion.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Could you be a bit more specific, Chapter and verse? I do not find your claim.

Again could you be more specific, Chapter and verse you are speaking about?

Other people try to defend the KJV by saying it is word for word and others are not. Fact is there is not cannot be a word for word translation.

Again, could you be more specific, Chapter and Verse?

Thanks for sharing someone's opinion, didn't much find it a balanced approach, just someone's opinion, and have no interest to debate some unknown mans opinion.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken
Genesis 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's Number:
01961 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
hyh a primitive root [compare (01933)]
Hayah TWOT - 491
haw-yaw Verb
Definition
  1. to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out
    1. (Qal)
      1. ----- 1a
    2. to happen, fall out, occur, take place, come about, come to pass 1a
    3. to come about, come to pass
      1. to come into being, become 1a
    4. to arise, appear, come 1a
    5. to become 1a
      1. to become 1a
      2. to become like 1a
      3. to be instituted, be established
      4. to be 1a
    6. to exist, be in existence 1a
    7. to abide, remain, continue (with word of place or time) 1a
    8. to stand, lie, be in, be at, be situated (with word of locality) 1a
    9. to accompany, be with
    10. (Niphal)
      1. to occur, come to pass, be done, be brought about
      2. to be done, be finished, be gone
Acts 12:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number:
3957 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
pavsca of Aramaic origin cf (06453)
Pascha 5:896,797
pas'-khah Noun Neuter
Definition
  1. the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the people's deliverance of old from Egypt)
  2. the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb
  3. the paschal supper
  4. the paschal feast, the feast of the Passover, extending from the 14th to the 20th day of the month Nisan
As for someone's opinion, what about the errors he pinpointed in the King James version?

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A question out of curiosity, nothing more.

Why would you want the Geneva Bible? Is archaic so you not going to understand what it says easily if at all.

It contains the books of the Apocrypha, which are not biblical.

Just a personal curiosity.

I mainly read from the KJV, I prefer these "archaic" translations. I have modern translations too but KJV is easier for me to remember and it just flows better for me. Also, it helps me with my vocabulary. I've heard the notes are good so I would like to check those out as well.

Reactions: Mjh29 and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I mainly read from the KJV, I prefer these "archaic" translations. I have modern translations too but KJV is easier for me to remember and it just flows better for me. Also, it helps me with my vocabulary. I've heard the notes are good so I would like to check those out as well.
Yes, the KJV pays dividends to those who take the trouble to read, study and memorize it. It's very memorable.

Reactions: LC627

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the KJV pays dividends to those who take the trouble to read, study and memorize it. It's very memorable.

I read from the HCSB and NIV as well but I do prefer KJV when it comes to memory and studying.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've heard the arguments about flow in style and all the rest..

For me, the number one demand is accuracy.
Look at Epehsians chapters 1 and 2, for example: the KJV follows the Greek sentence structure accurately; some of the more modern versions chop it all up. This can be demonstrated from various passages.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at Epehsia ns chapters 1 and 2, for example: the KJV follows the Greek sentence structure accurately; some of the more modern versions chop it all up. This can be demonstrated from various passages.

Who says the KJV structure is accurate and the others are not. You have to establish that before you can make a declaration on who is more accurate.

Sorry, my background does not allow personal taste to govern over accuracy.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

In the least, Not seeing your issue.

Acts 12:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Acts 12:4 And when he (king Herod) apprehended him, (Peter), he (King Herod) put him (Peter) in prison, and delivered him (Peter) to four quaternions of soldiers (king Herods soldiers) to keep him (Peter); intending after Easter to bring him (Peter) forth the people (Jews inside the city).

What does Peter's Belief in the passover celebration, have to do with king Herods belief in Easter and Herods Intent to do something after an Easter day, that pertained to Herods intentions?

As for someone's opinion, what about the errors he pinpointed in the King James version?

First of all, you made a comment, and I asked you specifically about YOUR comment. I can look up naysayers all day long on the net and read their opinions...not my interest.

I have yet to see you reveal a point of error in the KJV.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the least, Not seeing your issue.

Acts 12:4 And when he (king Herod) apprehended him, (Peter), he (King Herod) put him (Peter) in prison, and delivered him (Peter) to four quaternions of soldiers (king Herods soldiers) to keep him (Peter); intending after Easter to bring him (Peter) forth the people (Jews inside the city).

What does Peter's Belief in the passover celebration, have to do with king Herods belief in Easter and Herods Intent to do something after an Easter day, that pertained to Herods intentions?

First of all, you made a comment, and I asked you specifically about YOUR comment. I can look up naysayers all day long on the net and read their opinions...not my interest.

I have yet to see you reveal a point of error in the KJV.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken
The issue is many read it to say God created the earth in that condition, when he did not.

And you don't see Easter as an error? That is pure defense of the KJV over accuracy.

Easter and Passover bear no resemblance to each other. Easter is a doctrinal statement that is erroneous.

You are taking a KJVO position.