A different concept....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then don't do it. You are perfectly free to go through life believing what you wish. This was only addressed to people who might see the value of trying to read the Bible with "virgin" ears.

I won't. You were not trying to teach people to read the Bible. You were trying to teach people to read certain books of the Bible, as being separate from the rest of the Bible. And then accept new things.

Your so called, 'virgin ears' is just an invitation to being screwed. The Bible is one Book. One Author. You read it all, from Genesis to Revelation.

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't. You were not trying to teach people to read the Bible. You were trying to teach people to read certain books of the Bible, as being separate from the rest of the Bible. And then accept new things.

Your so called, 'virgin ears' is just an invitation to being screwed. The Bible is one Book. One Author. You read it all, from Genesis to Revelation.

Stranger
Oh, stop being a child. I said to pick any book... (preferably a short one) BECAUSE neither you nor I have ever read the entire Bible all the way through at one sitting. And stop trying to sound like you have.

Of course they can start at Genesis if they want to...… But, I would never suggest such a method of reading as you suggested to anyone, especially a new Christian.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my 53 Christian years, I have never myself read through from Gen- Rev. without some of the NT too. Let alone told a NEW Christian to do that!!o_O
I myself have always done...and I have always taught young Christian to do...is get established in the NT first..then when you have done that..then read a chap of Gen and a chapter of the NT together...daily.
Can we really see a poor new Christian wading through the book of Numbers , Ecclesiastes, Lamentations...etc etc.. with no spiritual building up for all those months!! If my mentor had told me to do that I would have slit my wrists by the book of Ecclesiastes...if I even got that far. :eek:

Reactions: Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, stop being a child. I said to pick any book... (preferably a short one) BECAUSE neither you nor I have ever read the entire Bible all the way through at one sitting. And stop trying to sound like you have.

At one sitting is not the point To read the Bible through completely from Genesis to Revelation is. As opposed to your one book isolated from the the rest of the Bible.

I have read the Bible many times from Genesis to Revelation. It takes me about one to two years. When I finish, I start again.

This more than anything helps the child know the mind of the Father.

So, grow up.

Stranger

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can actually download the Bible in that format.

In a format without Chapter and Verse? Is there a link, OMG I hope so, if so Praise God!!!!
I have found stuff by reading past The Chapter mark as far as context.
If So Bless you, I am kinda web stupid!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a format without Chapter and Verse? Is there a link, OMG I hope so, if so Praise God!!!!
I have found stuff by reading past The Chapter mark as far as context.
If So Bless you, I am kinda web stupid!
It's been many years, but I think you can still get it here. If not, contact me, and we will make sure you get it in your hands somehow.
http://raylcross.net/flatBible/

Reactions: Truth

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When you enter anything with the attitude that neither you nor anyone else will be reasonable...
1. Is it *reasonable* for Christians to believe that the Holy Bible (66 books) is the inspired, inerrant, and infallible Word of God, and is the sole authority for all doctrines and practices? I would hope so.

2. Is it *reasonable* for Christians to believe that at the very least all Protestant, evangelical and fundamental Christians can agree that the Five Solas of the Reformation are totally biblical, and must be the foundation for all other doctrines?

I believe these presuppostions cannot be skirted before a Bible study becomes beneficial.

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
Hi Willie,
I have and still do that because the LORD explained that there are mysteries in the scriptures the Lost Man will never find. The only rule I followed and follow is scripture never disagrees with itself because YHWH is not yhe author of confusion.

Reactions: Willie T and Helen
B

Butterfly

It seems, as usual, that there will always be negative responses to something positive within this forum.
Personally I am a firm believer in God being able to speak and communicate to me through his written word- one word can spark of a train of thought. For example just yesterday I was reading a passage and the word ' ask ' just prompted me to think about what that word actually conveys and means, what does it mean to ' ask ' God, what does it require ect ect. That word now keeps popping into my mind, and when it does I find myself praying about a person, situation ect.
That is just taking one word from a verse, and yet it led to meditation and a response.
Anyone can read a bible, but it's when you allow yourself to be open to concentrate on one part and allow the Holy Spirit to work and speak into the words on the page that you discover deeper things.
Of course seeing the book as a whole is important, it gives you context - so it's not irrelevant, but their are different kinds of approaches to study - all are valid.
I am also a firm believer that the Holy Spirit talks to us as individuals - so what you discover may not always be grasped by someone else you share it with. I am in a personal relationship with God, and therefore he knows what I am facing, dealing with and where I am on my journey spiritually.
Rita

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Is it *reasonable* for Christians to believe that the Holy Bible (66 books) is the inspired, inerrant, and infallible Word of God, and is the sole authority for all doctrines and practices? I would hope so.

2. Is it *reasonable* for Christians to believe that at the very least all Protestant, evangelical and fundamental Christians can agree that the Five Solas of the Reformation are totally biblical, and must be the foundation for all other doctrines?

I believe these presuppostions cannot be skirted before a Bible study becomes beneficial.
And yet God's word doesn't say all of those things. We have "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d" it into us deciding other words we now use said those things.

We have made "God's Word" into 66 books that didn't even exist when His Word was mentioned by the Apostles. They weren't even settled upon for almost 400 years after Jesus died... and some are still in dispute to this day.

In truth, many of us have elevated the Bible above God's Word. Worse, we have even declared it is only contained exclusively in a particular version a rather questionable monarch ordered to be compiled only 12 generations ago...… and we have changed THAT version several time since it was written.

The authors of the Scriptures and letters that were eventually collected into one group called, The Bible, were inspired to record a guide, but too many of us now worship, NOT JUST THAT BOOK, but the specific interpretations of it that we have been told are the only possible way to see any of it if we don't want to be "out of step" with accepted Orthodoxy, and labeled as a heretic.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It seems, as usual, that there will always be negative responses to something positive within this forum.
Personally I am a firm believer in God being able to speak and communicate to me through his written word- one word can spark of a train of thought. For example just yesterday I was reading a passage and the word ' ask ' just prompted me to think about what that word actually conveys and means, what does it mean to ' ask ' God, what does it require ect ect. That word now keeps popping into my mind, and when it does I find myself praying about a person, situation ect.
That is just taking one word from a verse, and yet it led to meditation and a response.
Anyone can read a bible, but it's when you allow yourself to be open to concentrate on one part and allow the Holy Spirit to work and speak into the words on the page that you discover deeper things.
Of course seeing the book as a whole is important, it gives you context - so it's not irrelevant, but their are different kinds of approaches to study - all are valid.
I am also a firm believer that the Holy Spirit talks to us as individuals - so what you discover may not always be grasped by someone else you share it with. I am in a personal relationship with God, and therefore he knows what I am facing, dealing with and where I am on my journey spiritually.
Rita

Amen...such a good post. Agree

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We have made "God's Word" into 66 books that didn't even exist when His Word was mentioned by the Apostles. They weren't even settled upon for almost 400 years after Jesus died... and some are still in dispute to this day.

In truth, many of us have elevated the Bible above God's Word.
Worse, we have even declared it is only contained exclusively in a particular version a rather questionable monarch ordered to be compiled only 12 generations ago...… and we have changed THAT version several time since it was written.

AMEN!!!! A man after my own heart.
Yet we can say this every which way from Sunday...but the
letter of the word, people still somehow can't get free .
It has been elevated so high that they feel that it is close to blasphemy if and when we check out a few things and find..lo it is NOT what we were told that it said...

I have my old dad to thank for this...as young christians , he'd ask us a question..and when we answered ( which was always a trap)
He's say.."so, why do you believe that it is saying that? "
Then he'd say.."Consider this, and consider that..and never just believe what you are told that it means...check it out for yourself, and listen always for the confirmation of the Holy Spirit." :)

Reactions: Willie T and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have read the Bible many times from Genesis to Revelation. It takes me about one to two years. When I finish, I start again.

Goodness ...Now I understand why you are often so grumpy!! :D
A year of the diet of only reading the law and the failings of trying to keep the law...the punishments of God before Grace had been released from behind the rent vail....that must be why " to me" you are often legalistic in your responses.

Mix and balance your diet a wee bit. :)

Reactions: Willie T and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Civilized Human Being's?

Great Idea, I am truly going to put this in a practice. I still work part time, but if I can read through part of a book, and continue from there it would be a start! Some one else made this statement, the NT Epistles are Letter's, so why would you start in the middle of any letter!
If I may, when we read and we come to a chapter change, we should continue to read as if it wasn't there, these books weren't written with chapt, vers #s, sometimes the context flows past these numbered breaks!

Hay! Great Thread!! I to have had others point out thing's that I glossed over.

Indeed Truth! Agreed, all...I myself am not good with "chapter and verse citing, usually have to look it up...the scripture is in my mind but, not necessarily chap. and verse.
"...the NT Epistles are Letter's, so why would you start in the middle of any letter!" Yes! Context, context and more context ♥

B

brakelite

One may even take just one parable and study that for several weeks and uncover a treasure trove of gems. Comparing scripture with scripture, (ensuring that single passage/book/letter isn't being taken out of context), using prayer, a concordance, thesaurus, prayer, commentaries, discussion with others, prayer, the scriptures become like a mine. There are more things hidden ready to be uncovered than one will ever find by superficially reading or relying solely on what the church tells him the scriptures teach.