A Roman Catholic has elsewhere asked if Calvinism is a heresy, but I ask instead, Is Catholicism a heresy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Catholicism a heresy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Roman Catholic has elsewhere asked if Calvinism is a heresy, but I ask instead, Is Catholicism a heresy?

I think Catholicism is the real heresy, and the Papacy is theologically the prophesied AntiChrist (Vicarivs Christi), but never the less, Jean Calvin actually said of the Papacy:

John Calvin (1509 - 1564)

Institutes of the Christian Religion, Vol.3, p.149

"Though it be admitted that Rome was once the mother of all Churches, yet from the time when it began to be the seat of Antichrist it has ceased to be what it was before. Some persons think us too severe and censorious when we call the Roman Pontiff Antichrist. But those who are of this opinion do not consider that they bring the same charge of presumption against Paul himself, after whom we speak and whose language we adopt .. I shall briefly show that (Paul's words in II Thess. 2) are not capable of any other interpretation than that which applies them to the Papacy.

Calvin Bible Commentaries on the 'catholic' Epistles, page 229

"... Some indeed would have us to shew modesty, when we call the Pope antichrist, who exercises tyranny over the souls of men, making himself a lawgiver equal to God. ..."

Thirteen Sermons, Dedicatorie

"... the most of their Popes (and specially such as followed him that proudly to shewe him selfe Antichrist, challenged the name of universall bishop) ..."

A Harmony Upon The Three Evangelists, Matthew, Mark and Luke, page 803

"... the kingdom of antichrist ... And I wish the Pope would submit the power which he chalengeth to himself to this rule. ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 2.12

"... Daniel and Paul foretold that Antichrist would sit in the temple of God (Dan_9:27; 2Th_2:4); we regard the Roman Pontiff as the leader and standard-bearer of that wicked and abominable kingdom. By placing his seat in the temple of God ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 3.13

"... 13. Whoever will duly examine and weigh the whole form of ecclesiastical government as now existing in the Papacy, will find that there is no kind of spoliation in which robbers act more licentiously, without law or measure. Certainly all things are so unlike, nay, so opposed to the institution of Christ, have so degenerated from the ancient customs and practices of the Church, are so repugnant to nature and reason, that a greater injury cannot be done to Christ than to use his name in defending this disorderly rule. We (say they) are the pillars of the Church, the priests of religion, the vicegerents of Christ, the heads of the faithful, because the apostolic authority has come to us by succession. As if they were speaking to stocks, they perpetually plume themselves on these absurdities. Whenever they make such boasts, I, in my turn, will ask, What have they in common with the apostles? We are not now treating of some hereditary honour which can come to men while they are asleep, but of the office of preaching, which they so greatly shun. In like manner, when we maintain that their kingdom is the tyranny of Antichrist, they immediately object that their venerable hierarchy has often been extolled by great and holy men, as if the holy fathers, when they commended the ecclesiastical hierarchy or spiritual government handed down to them by the apostles, ever dreamed of that shapeless and dreary chaos where bishoprics are held for the most part by ignorant asses, who do not even know the first and ordinary rudiments of the faith, or occasionally by boys who have just left their nurse; or if any are more learned (this, however, is a rare case), they regard the episcopal office as nothing else than a title of magnificence and splendour; where the rectors of churches no more think of feeding the flock than a cobbler does of sloughing, where all things are so confounded by a confusion worse than that of Babel, that no genuine trace of paternal government is any longer to be seen. ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 7.20

"... 20. And in order that edicts of this kind might have more weight, they falsely substituted the names of ancient Pontiffs, as if matters had been so constituted from the beginning, while it is absolutely certain that whatever attributes more to the Pontiff than we have stated to have been given to him by ancient councils, is new and of recent fabrication. Nay, they have carried their effrontery so far as to publish a rescript under the name of Anastasius, the Patriarch of Constantinople, in which he testifies that it was appointed by ancient regulations, that nothing should be done in the remotest provinces without being previously referred to the Roman See. Besides its extreme folly, who can believe it credible that such an eulogium on the Roman See proceeded from an opponent and rival of its honour and dignity? But doubtless it was necessary that those Antichrists should proceed to such a degree of madness and blindness, that their iniquity might be manifest to all men of sound mind who will only open their eyes. ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 7.21

"... 21. I will not treat with them on the strictest terms. In opposition to their great insolence, some would quote the language which Cyprian used to the bishops in the council over which he presided: “None of us styles himself bishop of bishops, or forces his colleagues to the necessity of obeying by the tyranny of terror.” Some might object what was long after decreed at Carthage, “Let no one be called the prince of priests or first bishop;” and might gather many proofs from history, and canons from councils, and many passages from ancient writers, which bring the Roman Pontiff into due order. But these I omit, that I may not seem to press too hard upon them. However, let these worthy defenders of the Roman See tell me with what face they can defend the title of universal bishop, while they see it so often anathematised by Gregory. If effect is to be given to his testimony, then they, by making their Pontiff universal, declare him to be Antichrist. The name of head was not more approved. ..."

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 7:24-25

"... 24. It is not with a bishop as with a king; the latter, though he does not execute the proper duty of a king, nevertheless retains the title and the honour; but in deciding on a bishop respect is had to the command of Christ, to which effect ought always to be given in the Church. Let the Romanists then untie this knot. I deny that their pontiff is the prince of bishops, seeing he is no bishop. This allegation of mine they must prove to be false if they would succeed in theirs. What then do I maintain? That he has nothing proper to a bishop, but is in all things the opposite of a bishop. But with what shall I here begin? With doctrine or with morals? What shall I say, or what shall I pass in silence, or where shall I end? This I maintain: while in the present day the world is so inundated with perverse and impious doctrines, so full of all kinds of superstition, so blinded by error and sunk in idolatry, there is not one of them which has not emanated from the Papacy or at least been confirmed by it. Nor is there any other reason why the pontiffs are so enraged against the reviving doctrine of the Gospel, why they stretch every nerve to oppress it, and urge all kings and princes to cruelty, than just that they see their whole dominion tottering and falling to pieces the moment the Gospel of Christ prevails. Leo was cruel and Clement sanguinary, Paul is truculent. But in assailing the truth, it is not so much natural temper that impels them as the conviction that they have no other method of maintaining their power. Therefore, seeing they cannot be safe unless they put Christ to flight, they labour in this cause as if they were fighting for their altars and hearths, for their own lives and those of their adherents. What then? Shall we recognise the Apostolic See where we see nothing but horrible apostasy? Shall he be the vicar of Christ who, by his furious efforts in persecuting the Gospel, plainly declares himself to be Antichrist? Shall he be the successor of Peter who goes about with fire and sword demolishing everything that Peter built? Shall he be the Head of the Church who, after dissevering the Church from Christ, her only true Head, tears and lacerates her members? Rome, indeed, was once the mother of all the churches, but since she began to be the seat of Antichrist she ceased to be what she was. 25. To some we seem slanderous and petulant, when we call the Roman Pontiff Antichrist. But those who think so perceive not that they are bringing a charge of intemperance against Paul, alter whom we speak, nay, in whose very words we speak. But lest any one object that Paul’s words have a different meaning, and are wrested by us against the Roman Pontiff, I will briefly show that they can only be understood of the Papacy. Paul says that Antichrist would sit in the temple of God (2Th_2:4). In another passage, the Spirit, portraying him in the person of Antiochus, says that his reign would be with great swelling words of vanity (Dan_7:25). Hence we infer that his tyranny is more over souls than bodies, a tyranny set up in opposition to the spiritual kingdom of Christ. Then his nature is such, that he abolishes not the name either of Christ or the Church, but rather uses the name of Christ as a pretext, and lurks under the name of Church as under a mask. But though all the heresies and schisms which have existed from the beginning belong to the kingdom of Antichrist, yet when Paul foretells that defection will come, he by the description intimates that that seat of abomination will be erected, when a kind of universal defection comes upon the Church, though many members of the Church scattered up and down should continue in the true unity of the faith. But when he adds, that in his own time, the mystery of iniquity, which was afterwards to be openly manifested, had begun to work in secret, we thereby understand that this calamity was neither to be introduced by one man, nor to terminate in one man (see Calv. in 2Th_2:3; Dan_7:9). Moreover, when the mark by which he distinguishes Antichrist is, that he would rob God of his honour and take it to himself, he gives the leading feature which we ought to follow in searching out Antichrist; especially when pride of this description proceeds to the open devastation of the Church. Seeing then it is certain that the Roman Pontiff has impudently transferred to himself the most peculiar properties of God and Christ, there cannot be a doubt that he is the leader and standard-bearer of an impious and abominable kingdom. ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 9.4

"... Paul openly declares, that Antichrist would have his seat in the temple of God (2Th_2:4); thereby intimating, that the fearful calamity of which he was speaking would come only from those who should have their seat in the Church as pastors. And in another passage he shows that the introduction of this great evil was almost at hand. For in addressing the elders of Ephesus, he says, “I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them” (Act_20:29, Act_20:30). ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 17.50

"... And yet these abominations they dare to cloak with the name of the Church, and defend under this pretence, as if those Antichrists were the Church who so licentiously trample under foot, waste, and abrogate the doctrine and institutions of Christ ..."

Institutes, Book 4, Ch. 18.1

"... I am here combating that opinion with which the Roman Antichrist and his prophets have imbued the whole world, viz., that the mass is a work by which the priest who offers Christ, and the others who in the oblation receive him, gain merit with God, or that it is an expiatory victim by which they regain the favour of God. ..."

After I posted this material in another forum, I was immediately blocked. Seems recorded history is scary frightening to those who seek to re-write history to their favor, especially when the past is so unfavourable to themselves and all the past fingers Catholicism as something evil to be shunned, especially by Christians.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Others have pointed out:

Roman Catholic Encyclopedia; Online:

“...The impediment is the Roman Empire; the main event impeded is the "man of sin" (most Latin Fathers and later interpreters) ...” [Roman Catholic Online Encyclopedia; “A”; Antichrist; In The Pauline Epistles; [second option of 4 listed]] - CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Antichrist

Irenaeus [c. 130 - c. 202 AD]

"... It is therefore more certain, and less hazardous, to await the fulfilment of the prophecy, than to be making surmises, and casting about for any names that may present themselves, inasmuch as many names can be found possessing the number mentioned; and the same question will, after all, remain unsolved. ...

... Then also Lateinos (ΛΑΤΕΙΝΟΣ) has the number six hundred and sixty-six; and it is a very probable [solution], this being the name of the last kingdom [of the four seen by Daniel]. For the Latins are they who at present bear rule: I will not, however, make any boast over this [coincidence]. ...

... For if it had been declared by Him, he (Antichrist) might perhaps continue for a long period. ..." - Irenaeus, Against Heresies (Book V, Chapter 30) - CHURCH FATHERS: Against Heresies, V.30 (St. Irenaeus)

Tertullian [c. 155 AD - c. 220 AD]:

“...Again, in the second epistle he addresses them with even greater earnestness: Now I beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto Him, that you be not soon shaken in mind, nor be troubled, either by spirit, or by word, that is, the word of false prophets, or by letter, that is, the letter of false apostles, as if from us, as that the day of the Lord is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means. For that day shall not come, unless indeed there first come a falling away, he means indeed of this present empire, and that man of sin be revealed, that is to say, Antichrist, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or religion; so that he sits in the temple of God, affirming that he is God. Do you not remember, that when I was with you, I used to tell you these things? And now you know what detains, that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity does already work; only he who now hinders must hinder, until he be taken out of the way. 2 Thessalonians 2:1-7 What obstacle is there but the Roman state, the falling away of which, by being scattered into ten kingdoms, shall introduce Antichrist ...” [Roman Catholic Online Fathers Of The Church; On The Resurrection Of The Flesh (Tertullian); “Chapter 24. Other Passages Quoted from St. Paul, Which Categorically Assert the Resurrection of the Flesh at the Final Judgment.”] - CHURCH FATHERS: On the Resurrection of the Flesh (Tertullian)

“...There is also another and a greater necessity for our offering prayer in behalf of the emperors, nay, for the complete stability of the empire, and for Roman interests in general. For we know that a mighty shock impending over the whole earth— in fact, the very end of all things threatening dreadful woes— is only retarded by the continued existence of the Roman empire. We have no desire, then, to be overtaken by these dire events; and in praying that their coming may be delayed, we are lending our aid to Rome's duration. ...” [Roman Catholic Online Fathers Of The Church; Apology (Tertullian; Chapter 32)] - CHURCH FATHERS: Apology (Tertullian)

Hippolytus [c. 170 - c. 235 AD]

“... 23. Now since these things, spoken as they are with a mystical meaning, may seem to some hard to understand, we shall keep back nothing fitted to impart an intelligent apprehension of them to those who are possessed of a sound mind. He said, then, that a "lioness came up from the sea," and by that he meant the kingdom of the Babylonians in the world, which also was the head of gold on the image. In saying that "it had wings as of an eagle," he meant that Nebuchadnezzar the king was lifted up and was exalted against God. Then he says, "the wings thereof were plucked," that is to say, his glory was destroyed; for he was driven out of his kingdom. And the words, "a man's heart was given to it, and it was made stand upon the feet as a man," refer to the fact that he repented and recognised himself to be only a man, and gave the glory to God.

24. Then, after the lioness, he sees a "second beast like a bear," and that denoted the Persians. For after the Babylonians, the Persians held the sovereign power And in saving that there were "three ribs in the mouth of it," he pointed to three nations, viz., the Persians, and the Medes, and the Babylonians; which were also represented on the image by the silver after the gold. Then (there was) "the third beast, a leopard," which meant the Greeks. For after the Persians, Alexander of Macedon obtained the sovereign power on subverting Darius, as is also shown by the brass on the image. And in saying that it had "four wings of a fowl," he taught us most clearly how the kingdom of Alexander was partitioned. For in speaking of "four heads," he made mention of four kings, viz., those who arose out of that (kingdom). For Alexander, when dying, partitioned out his kingdom into four divisions.

25. Then he says: "A fourth beast, dreadful and terrible; it had iron teeth and claws of brass." And who are these but the Romans? Which (kingdom) is meant by the iron— the kingdom which is now established; for the legs of that (image) were of iron. And after this, what remains, beloved, but the toes of the feet of the image, in which part is iron and part clay, mixed together? And mystically by the toes of the feet he meant the kings who are to arise from among them; as Daniel also says (in the words), "I considered the beast, and lo there were ten horns behind it, among which shall rise another (horn), an offshoot, and shall pluck up by the roots the three (that were) before it." And under this was signified none other than Antichrist

...28. The golden head of the image and the lioness denoted the Babylonians; the shoulders and arms of silver, and the bear, represented the Persians and Medes; the belly and thighs of brass, and the leopard, meant the Greeks, who held the sovereignty from Alexander's time; the legs of iron, and the beast dreadful and terrible, expressed the Romans, who hold the sovereignty at present; the toes of the feet which were part clay and part iron, and the ten horns, were emblems of the kingdoms that are yet to rise; the other little horn that grows up among them meant the Antichrist in their midst; the stone that smites the earth and brings judgment upon the world was Christ. ...” [Roman Catholic Online Fathers Of The Church; On Christ and Antichrist (Hippolytus), section 23-25,28 - CHURCH FATHERS: On Christ and Antichrist (Hippolytus)

Cyprian of Carthage [c. 210 - 14 September 258 AD]

"... For you ought to know and to believe, and hold it for certain, that the day of affliction has begun to hang over our heads, and the end of the world and the time of Antichrist to draw near, so that we must all stand prepared for the battle; nor consider anything but the glory of life eternal, and the crown of the confession of the Lord; and not regard those things which are coming as being such as were those which have passed away. A severer and a fiercer fight is now threatening, for which the soldiers of Christ ought to prepare themselves with uncorrupted faith and robust courage, considering that they drink the cup of Christ's blood daily, for the reason that they themselves also may be able to shed their blood for Christ. ...

... 7. Nor let any one of you, beloved brethren, be so terrified by the fear of future persecution, or the coming of the threatening Antichrist, as not to be found armed for all things by the evangelical exhortations and precepts, and by the heavenly warnings. Antichrist is coming, but above him comes Christ also.1 The enemy goes about and rages, but immediately the Lord follows to avenge our sufferings and our wounds. The adversary is enraged and threatens, but there is One who can deliver us from his hands. ..." Cyprian of Carthage, Epistle 55 - CHURCH FATHERS: Epistle 55 (Cyprian of Carthage)

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Others have further pointed out:

Cyril of Jerusalem [c. 313 - 386 AD]:

"... 12. But this aforesaid Antichrist is to come when the times of the Roman empire shall have been fulfilled, and the end of the world is now drawing near. There shall rise up together ten kings of the Romans, reigning in different parts perhaps, but all about the same time; and after these an eleventh, the Antichrist, who by his magical craft shall seize upon the Roman power; and of the kings who reigned before him, three he shall humble, and the remaining seven he shall keep in subjection to himself. At first indeed he will put on a show of mildness (as though he were a learned and discreet person), and of soberness and benevolence : and by the lying signs and wonders of his magical deceit having beguiled the Jews, as though he were the expected Christ, he shall afterwards be characterized by all kinds of crimes of inhumanity and lawlessness, so as to outdo all unrighteous and ungodly men who have gone before him; displaying against all men, but especially against us Christians, a spirit murderous and most cruel, merciless and crafty. And after perpetrating such things for three years and six months only, he shall be destroyed by the glorious second advent from heaven of the only-begotten Son of God, our Lord and Saviour Jesus, the true Christ, who shall slay Antichrist with the breath of His mouth, and shall deliver him over to the fire of hell. ..."

"... And Antichrist will come at the time when there shall not be left one stone upon another in the Temple of the Jews, according to the doom pronounced by our Saviour ...

... only God forbid that it should be fulfilled in our days; nevertheless, let us be on our guard. And thus much concerning Antichrist. ...

... bearing in mind the signs of the end, and remaining unsubdued by Antichrist. You have received the tokens of the Deceiver who is to come; you have received the proofs of the true Christ, who shall openly come down from heaven. Flee therefore the one, the False one; and look for the other, the True. ..." Cyril of Jerusalem; Catechetical Lecture 15 - CHURCH FATHERS: Catechetical Lecture 15 (Cyril of Jerusalem)

Chrysostom [c. 347 - 14 September 407]:

"... One may naturally enquire, what is that which withholds, and after that would know, why Paul expresses it so obscurely. What then is it that withholds, that is, hinders him from being revealed? Some indeed say, the grace of the Spirit, but others the Roman empire, to whom I most of all accede. Wherefore? Because if he meant to say the Spirit, he would not have spoken obscurely, but plainly, that even now the grace of the Spirit, that is the gifts, withhold him. And otherwise he ought now to have come, if he was about to come when the gifts ceased; for they have long since ceased. But because he said this of the Roman empire, he naturally glanced at it, and speaks covertly and darkly. For he did not wish to bring upon himself superfluous enmities, and useless dangers. For if he had said that after a little while the Roman empire would be dissolved, they would immediately have even overwhelmed him, as a pestilent person, and all the faithful, as living and warring to this end. And he did not say that it will be quickly, although he is always saying it— but what? “that he may be revealed in his own season,”... But he did not also wish to point him out plainly: and this not from cowardice, but instructing us not to bring upon ourselves unnecessary enmities, when there is nothing to call for it. So indeed he also says here. “Only there is one that restrains now, until he be taken out of the way”, that is, when the Roman empire is taken out of the way, then he shall come. And naturally. For as long as the fear of this empire lasts, no one will willingly exalt himself, but when that is dissolved, he will attack the anarchy, and endeavor to seize upon the government both of man and of God. For as the kingdoms before this were destroyed, for example, that of the Medes by the Babylonians, that of the Babylonians by the Persians, that of the Persians by the Macedonians, that of the Macedonians by the Romans: … And these things Daniel delivered to us with great clearness. ...” [Roman Catholic Online Fathers Of The Church; Homilies On Second Thessalonians (Chrysostom); Homily 4] - CHURCH FATHERS: Homily 4 on Second Thessalonians (Chrysostom)

Augustine [13 November 354 - 28 August 430]:

“...I will nevertheless mention such conjectures as I have heard or read.

Some think that the Apostle Paul referred to the Roman empire, and that he was unwilling to use language more explicit, lest he should incur the calumnious charge of wishing ill to the empire which it was hoped would be eternal; … However, it is not absurd to believe that these words of the apostle, “Only he who now holds, let him hold until he be taken out of the way,” refer to the Roman empire, as if it were said, “Only he who now reigns, let him reign until he be taken out of the way.” “And then shall the wicked be revealed:” no one doubts that this means Antichrist. ...” [Roman Catholic Online Fathers Of The Church; The City of God (Book XX); (St. Agustine); Concerning the last judgment, and the declarations regarding it in the old and new testaments.; Chapter 19.— What the Apostle Paul Wrote to the Thessalonians About the Manifestation of Antichrist Which Shall Precede the Day of the Lord.] - CHURCH FATHERS: City of God, Book XX (St. Augustine)

H. Grattan Guinness (Irish Protestant minister) [11 August 1835 - 21 June 1910]:

"5. The Fathers held that the Roman empire was the "let," or hindrance, referred to by Paul in 2 Thessalonians, which kept back the manifestation of the "man of sin." This point is of great importance. Paul distinctly tells us that he knew, and that the Thessalonians knew, what that hindrance was, and that it was then in existence. The early Church, through the writings of the Fathers, tells us what it knew upon the subject, and with remarkable unanimity affirms that this "let," or hindrance, was the Roman empire as governed by the Caesars; that while the Caesars held imperial power, it was impossible for the predicted antichrist to arise, and that on the fall of the Caesars he would arise. Here we have a point on which Paul affirms the existence of knowledge in the Christian Church. The early Church knew, he says, what this hindrance was. The early Church tells us what it did know upon the subject, and no one in these days can be in a position to contradict its testimony as to what Paul had, by word of mouth only, told the Thessalonians. It is a point on which ancient tradition alone can have any authority. Modern speculation is positively impertinent on such a subject.4 … From Irenaeus, who lived close to apostolic times, down to Chrysostom and Jerome, the Fathers taught that the power withholding the manifestation of the "man of sin" was the Roman empire as governed by the Caesars. The Fathers therefore belong to the historic, and not to the futurist school of interpretation; for futurists imagine that the hindrance to the manifestation of the man of sin is still in existence, though the Caesars have long since passed away. ...” [Romanism and the Reformation; H. Grattan Guiness; Pg 52-53] - http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/ROMANISM_AND_THE_REFORMATION.pdf

Nicolaus Von Amsdorf (1483 - 1565)

"He (the antichrist) will be revealed and come to naught before the last day, so that every man shall comprehend and recognize that the pope is the real, true antichrist and not the vicar of Christ ... Therefore those who consider the pope and his bishops as Christian shepherds and bishops are deeply in error, but even more are those who believe the Turk (ISLAM) is the antichrist. Because the Turk (ISLAM) rules outside of the church and does not sit in the holy place, nor does he seek to bear the name of Christ, but is an open antagonist of Christ and His church. This does not need to be revealed, but it is clear and evident because he persecutes Christians openly and not as the pope does, secretly under the form of Godliness." (Nicolaus Von Amsdorf, Furnemliche und gewisse Zeichen, sig.A2r.,v.) - What Did The Reformers Believe? - Who is the Antichrist

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Others have still pointed out:

Martin Luther (1483 - 1546)

"nothing else than the kingdom of Babylon and of very Antichrist. For who is the man of sin and the son of perdition, but he who by his teaching and his ordinances increases the sin and perdition of souls in the church; while he yet sits in the church as if he were God? All these conditions have now for many ages been fulfilled by the papal tyranny." (Martin Luther, First Principles, pp. 196-197)

Thomas Cranmner (2 July 1489 – 21 March 1556)

"Wherefore it followeth Rome to be the seat of AntiChrist, and the pope to be very AntiChrist himself. I could prove the same by many other scriptures, old writers and strong reasons." (Referring to Prophecies in Revelation and Daniel) [Works by Cranmer, Vol. 1]

Flacius (1570)

"The sixth and last reason for our separation from the pope and his followers be this; By many writings of our church, by the Divinely inspired Word, by prophecies concerning the future and by the special characteristics of the Papacy, it has been profusely and thoroughly proved that the pope with his prelates and clergy is the real true great antichrist, that his kingdom is the real Babylon, a never ceasing fountain and a mother of all abominable idolatry." (Flacius, Etliche Hochwichtige Ursachen und Grunde, warum das siche alle Christen von dem Antichrist ... absondern sollen)

Georg Nigrinus (1530 - 1602)

"The Jesuits claim to be sorely offended and have taken my declarations as an insult and blasphemy in branding the Papacy as the antichrist of which Daniel, Paul, Peter, John and even Christ prophesied. But this is as true as it is that Jesus is the Messiah, and I am prepared to show it even by their own definition of the word 'antichrist'." (Translated from "Nigrinus, Antichrists Grundliche Offenbarung" fol. 6v.)

"This Jesuit further contends that the Papacy cannot be antichrist because the Papacy has lasted for centuries, but that the antichrist is supposed to reign only for 3 1/2 years ... But no one doubts today that Daniel spoke of YEAR-DAYS, not literal days ... The prophetic time-periods of forty-two months, 1260 days, 1, 2, 1/2 times are prophetic, and according to Ezekiel 4, a day must be taken for a year." (Translated from "Nigrinus, Antichrists Grundliche Offenbarung" fols.28v. 29r.)

John Calvin (1509 - 1564)

"Though it be admitted that Rome was once the mother of all Churches, yet from the time when it began to be the seat of Antichrist it has ceased to be what it was before. Some persons think us too severe and censorious when we call the Roman Pontiff Antichrist. But those who are of this opinion do not consider that they bring the same charge of presumption against Paul himself, after whom we speak and whose language we adopt .. I shall briefly show that (Paul's words in II Thess. 2) are not capable of any other interpretation than that which applies them to the Papacy." (Institutes of the Christian Religion, Vol.3, p.149)

John Knox (1505 - 1572)

"Yea, to speak it in plain words; lest that we submit ourselves to Satan, thinking that we submit ourselves to Jesus Christ, for, as for your Roman kirk, as it is now corrupted, and the authority thereof, whereon stands the hope of your victory, I no more doubt but that it is the synagogue of Satan, and the head thereof, called the pope, to be that man of sin, of whom the apostle speaks." (John Knox, The History of the Reformation of Religion in Scotland, p.65)

King James VI (Scotland), I (England) (James Charles Stuart; 19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625)

"Rome is the Seat of the Antichrist." - A Premonition to All Most Mightie Monarches

"...Popery is in deed The mysterie of iniquitie..." - 1605 Speech to Parliament

"The Pope is Antichrist..." - Meditation Upon Revelation 20:7-10

"Antichrist and his clergie...not only infect the earth...but rule also over the whole..." - Meditation Upon Revelation 20:7-10

Roger Williams (1603 - 1683)

Pastor Williams spoke of the Pope as "the pretended Vicar of Christ on earth, who sits as God over the Temple of God, exalting himself not only above all that is called God, but over the souls and consciences of all his vassals, yea over the Spirit of Christ, over the Holy Spirit, yea, and God himself...speaking against the God of heaven, thinking to change times and laws; but he is the son of perdition." (The Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers by Froom, Vol. 3, pg. 52)

The Westminster Confession of Faith (1646)

"There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalts himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God." (1646 Westminster Confession of Faith)

The Baptist Confession of Faith (1689)

"The Lord Jesus Christ is the Head of the church, in whom, by the appointment of the Father, all power for the calling, institution, order or government of the church, is invested in a supreme and sovereign manner; neither can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof, but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ." (1689 Baptist Confession of Faith)

John Wesley (1703 - 1791)

"... In many respects, the Pope has an indisputable claim to those titles. He is, in an emphatical sense, the man of sin, as he increases all manner of sin above measure. And he is, too, properly styled, the son of perdition, as he has caused the death of numberless multitudes, both of his opposers and followers, destroyed innumerable souls, and will himself perish everlastingly. He it is that opposeth himself to the emperor, once his rightful sovereign; and that exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped - Commanding angels, and putting kings under his feet, both of whom are called gods in scripture; claiming the highest power, the highest honour; suffering himself, not once only, to be styled God or vice-God. Indeed no less is implied in his ordinary title, "Most Holy Lord," or, "Most Holy Father." So that he sitteth - Enthroned. In the temple of God - Mentioned Rev. xi, 1. Declaring himself that he is God - Claiming the prerogatives which belong to God alone." (John Wesley, Explanatory Notes Upon The New Testament, p.216)

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many others sharing similar thoughts based upon the same scriptures and reasoning:

J. H. Merle D'Aubinge (16 August 1794 – 21 October 1872)

"Luther... proved, by the revelations of Daniel and St. John, by the epistles of St. Paul, St. Peter and St. Jude, that the reign of AntiChrist, predicted and prescribed in the Bible, was the Papacy." [History of the Reformation of the Sixteenth Century, John H. Merle D'aubigne, Book VI] - http://books.google.com/books?id=pE...a=X&ei=G2_WUKruNoeYiALN1YDwBg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA

Charles Spurgeon (1834 - 1892)

"It is the bounden duty of every Christian to pray against Antichrist, and as to what Antichrist is no sane man ought to raise a question. If it be not the popery in the Church of Rome there is nothing in the world that can be called by that name. If there were to be issued a hue and cry for Antichrist, we should certainly take up this church on suspicion, and it would certainly not be let loose again, for it so exactly answers the description."

"Popery is contrary to Christ’s Gospel, and is the Antichrist, and we ought to pray against it. It should be the daily prayer of every believer that Antichrist might be hurled like a millstone into the flood and for Christ, because it wounds Christ, because it robs Christ of His glory, because it puts sacramental efficacy in the place of His atonement, and lifts a piece of bread into the place of the Saviour, and a few drops of water into the place of the Holy Ghost, and puts a mere fallible man like ourselves up as the vicar of Christ on earth; if we pray against it, because it is against Him, we shall love the persons though we hate their errors: we shall love their souls though we loath and detest their dogmas, and so the breath of our prayers will be sweetened, because we turn our faces towards Christ when we pray." (Michael de Semlyen, All Roads Lead to Rome)

Rev. J.A.Wylie (1808 - 1890)

"The same line of proof which establishes that Christ is the promised Messiah, conversely applied, establishes that the Roman system is the predicted Apostacy. In the life of Christ we behold the converse of what the Antichrist must be; and in the prophecy of the Antichrist we are shown the converse of what Christ must be, and was. And when we place the Papacy between the two, and compare it with each, we find, on the one hand, that it is the perfect converse of Christ as seen in his life; and on the other, that it is the perfect image of the Antichrist, as shown in the prophecy of him. We conclude, therefore, that if Jesus of Nazareth be the Christ, the Roman Papacy is the Antichrist." (J.A.Wylie, Preface to "The Papacy is the Antichrist, A Demonstration")

Ellen G. White (1827 - 1915)

"This compromise between paganism and Christianity resulted in the development of "the man of sin" foretold in prophecy as opposing and exalting himself above God. That gigantic system of false religion is a masterpiece of Satan's power - a monument of his efforts to seat himself upon the throne to rule the earth according to his will."

"To secure worldly gains and honors, the church was led to seek the favor and support of the great men of earth; and having thus rejected Christ, she was induced to yield allegiance to the representative of Satan - the bishop of Rome ... Prophecy had declared that the papacy was to "think to change times and laws. (Daniel 7:25)" (E.G.White, The Great Controversy, pp.49-51)

Leroy Edwin Froom (October 16, 1890 – February 20, 1974)

"... (Roger Williams) Pastor Williams spoke of the pope as, "the pretended Vicar of Christ on Earth, who sits as God, over the Temple of God, exalting himself not only above all that is called God, but over the souls and consciences of all his vassals, yea over the Spirit of Christ, over the Holy Spirit, yea, and God Himself... speaking against the God of heaven, thinking to change times and laws; but he is the son of perdition (2 Thessalonians 2)." [The Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers, Froom Vol 3, pg. 52]

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QUESTION: WHAT DOES “ANTICHRIST” TEACH THAT IS SO BAD?

[A.] 1Jn_4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.​
[B.] 2Jn_1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.​

The Bible declares that Jesus came “in the likeness of sinful (fallen) flesh” nature of mankind:

Rom_8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:​

[for "likeness" see Philippians 2:7; Romans 6:5]

Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:​

Was Jesus a “man”? Yes/No?, or only ‘appeared’ to be?

Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:​

Do we not also die by crucifixion? (Gal. 2:20) Shall we not also be resurrected and glorified as He (Php. 3:21)?

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn. 3:6 “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; …”
Jhn. 3:6 “… and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
FLESH (εν σαρκι) OF JESUS (sinful) (condemned)
SPIRIT (MIND/HEART) OF JESUS (sinless) (justified)
He came in the likeness (Romans 8:3) (“likeness”, see Philippians 2:7; Romans 6:5) of sinful flesh (Romans 8:3) and “condemned sin in the flesh”, as He committed no sin (1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7; James 2:8-12).
Jesus was born of the “Holy Ghost” (Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:35)​
For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. (Hebrews 2:16)
[Heavenly angelic flesh nature (1 Cor. 15:38-41; Jud. 1:7; Mat. 25:31) is unfallen, “holy”]​
“… This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
(Matthew 3:17, 17:5; Mark 1:11; 2 Peter 1:17)​
“Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;” (Romans 1:3)​
“… I do always those things that please him. (John 8:29) [see Isaiah 58:13; sabbath keeping is pleasing to the Father]​
son of David, the son of Abraham” (Matthew 1:1-18) [Flesh Lineage from fallen Abraham, and born of Mary, fallen woman; Matthew 1:16]​
“Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.” (John 8:49)​
[son of] Adam” (Luke 3:23-38) [Flesh Lineage from fallen Adam]​
“… I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10)​
“But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,” (Galatians 4:4)​
The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.” (Isaiah 42:21)​
“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;” (1 Peter 4:1)​
“Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.” (Matthew 12:18)​
“Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.” (Hebrews 2:17)​
“That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.” (Isaiah 44:28)​
“And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us ...” (John 1:14)​
Jesus was that “holy thing” (Luke 1:35)​
“God manifest in the flesh” (1 Timothy 3:16)​
“lamb shall be without blemish” (Exodus 12:5)​
“... of the fruit of his [David's] loins, according to the flesh ...” (Acts 2:30)​
an “holy child” (Acts 4:27,30)​
in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren” (Hebrews 2:17)​
“For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.” (Matthew 27:18)​
“... to every seed his own body ...” (1 Corinthians 15:38)​
“Why, what evil hath he done?” (Matthew 27:23)​
“... having crucified the flesh ...” (Galatians 5:24)​
“The said Pilate “I find no fault in this man.” (Luke 23:4)​
“... nailing it to His cross.” (Colossians 2:4)​
“in him is no sin.” (1 John 3:5)​
“Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: (Hebrews 10:5)​
“[who is] holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners”
(Hebrews 7:26)​
as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same” (Hebrews 2:14)​
“Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.” (John 9:31)​
“was in all points tempted like as [we …” (Hebrews 4:15)​
“I find in him no fault [at all].” (John 18:38)​
“In the body of His flesh through death …” (Colossians 1:22)​
“I find no fault in him.” (John 19:6)​
“... being put to death in the flesh ...” (1 Peter 3:18)​
“who knew no sin” (2 Corinthians 5:21)​
“... new and living way, which He hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, His flesh;” (Hebrews 10:20)​
“this man hath done nothing amiss.” (Luke 23:41)​
“Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.” (Psalms 40:6)​
“what evil hath he done? I have found no cause of death in him”
(Luke 23:22)​

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David acknowledges his flesh heritage in the Psalms 51
“Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.” (Psalms 51:5) [Jesus is called the “son of David”, the “son of Abraham”]​
“Said unto them, Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people: and, behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him:” (Luke 23:14)​
“... by the body of Christ ...” (Romans 7:4) [we are dead]​
“the innocent blood” (Matthew 27:4)​
“... members of His body, and of His flesh, and of His bones.” (Ephesians 5:30)​
“Have thou nothing to do with that just man” (Matthew 27:19)​
“And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:24)​
“I am innocent of the blood of this just person” (Matthew 27:24)​
“... in the days of His flesh ...” (Hebrews 5:7)​
“I have kept my Father's commandments” (John 15:10)​
“Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.” (2 Corinthians 5:16)​
“lo, nothing worthy of death is done unto him.” (Luke 23:15)​
Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.” (Romans 9:5)​
“But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none.” (Matthew 26:60)​
“made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men” (Philippians 2:7)​
“Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.” (Luke 23:47)​
“... Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.” (Romans 6:6)​
“I find no fault in him.” (John 19:4)​
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.” (1 Peter 2:24)​
“the obedience of one” (Romans 5:19)​
“Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:” (1 John 4:2)​
“without sin.” (Hebrews 4:15)​
“And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.” (1 John 4:3)​
“Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:” (1 Peter 2:22)​
“For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.” (2 John 1:7)​
“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God.” (Hebrews 9:4)​
...there are many “... not discerning the Lord's body.” (1 Corinthians 11:29)​
“For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.” (Romans 5:19)​
“... my flesh shall rest in hope ...” (Acts 2:26)​
I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.” (Psalms 40:8)​
“... his soul [being/person] was not left in the grave, neither his flesh did see corruption ...” (Acts 2:31)​
“… A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master …” (Malachi 1:6)​
“Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.” (Philippians 3:21)​
Jesus was in the same likeness of sinful flesh as we, yet living without sin, never having sinned, never once transgressed the Holy Law of God; Jesus showed that with God there is no excuse for sin and thus “… condemned sin in the flesh.” (Romans 8:3)​
“By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once [for all].” (Hebrews 10:10)​
Because Christ Jesus was victorious in the same fallen “flesh”, so too can we, by the Holy Spirit, and “overcome” “even as” He “overcame” (Revelation 3:21)​
“... our hands have handled, of the Word of life.” (1 John 1:1)​
“And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.” (1 John 3:3)​
“For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. (Romans 7:18)​
To be born with sinful flesh is not to be born a transgressor/sinner. To transgress God’s Law (1 Jhn. 3:4; Rom. 7:7; Jam. 2:8-12) is to be a sinner, not born with sinful flesh. The flesh (sinful) Jesus came with is important to the Everlasting Gospel (Genesis 3:15; Revelation 14:6-7, &c), and how He saves us from sin (Matthew 1:21; not in it). There is a system of religion (spirit of Antichrist) on earth which teaches that Jesus could not sin (“Impeccability”), and that He was born in unfallen flesh of Mary (“Immaculate Conception”) because it teaches that to be born with fallen flesh is to automatically be a ‘sinner’ (“Original Sin”), and it has many daughters that teach the same in its essentials, though they may differ in the details. This is “antichrist”.
“Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;” (Ephesians 2:15)​
In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:” (Colossians 1:22)​

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Catholicism ... heresies.
Here is what I see:

Many heresies [a selection, not all will be represented, there would not be enough time, nor room to give notice to all]:

Transubstantiation
Penance
Vain Repetitious Prayers, etc
Auricular Confession
Prayers for/to the dead/angel
Immortal Soul/Spirit theologies
Immaculate Conception
Theotokos [Mother of God]
Veneration [HyperDulia] of Mary
Rosary/Pieta's/Novenas, &c
Purgatory/Limbo's
Monks/Nuns/Caste Priesthood
Roman Trinity [singularity*]
Holy Water
Latin Only Rites
Alterantive Baptism [Infusion/Aspersion, Infant, etc]
Lent/Liturgical Calender
Indulgences
Mass
Host/Eucharist [adoration]
Fermented Wine
Pope [Papal position, See of Rome]
Men able to forgive sins
Celibacy [requirement]
Stations of the Cross
Veneration [Dulia] of Saints/Relics/Icons/Images/Buildings/Statues/Stones, kneeling in front of, kissing, touching, fondling, gifting, feeding, lighting candles before, charioting, etc
Sacraments
Tradition on Par/Equal/Above the Scriptures
Assumption of Mary
Mary remained sinless [without Roman “Original Sin”]
Original Sin [Roman]
Relics of dead men's bones, in Cathedrals, under Altars
Crucifixes
Jesuit Order, Opus Dei, Knights of Columbus, of Malta, &c
Syllabus of Errors
Mortification [pain infliction], Celices/Hairshirts/etc
Ex-Cathedra
Extreme Unction
College of Cardinals
Sign of the Cross
Inquisition [Curia, Congregation for Doctrine of the Holy Faith]
Kissing Ring/Foot of Pope
Pontifex Maximus [the greatest bridge-builder, of Heaven to earth]
Scapulars [various colors]
Canonization
Apocryphal Books accepted
Crowns/Tiara's/Mitres
Stigmata
Bleeding Wounds [blood, oil, etc]
Weeping Statues/Icons, etc
Holy Sites [Fatima, Lourdes, Guadalupe, etc]
Sacred Heart theology
All Names and Titles of Christ given to the Pope**
Immaculate Heart theology
Missalette instead of Bibles
All unclean animal is clean
Genesis Creation is Allegory/Mythology
Eternal Generation of Jesus
Flood Account of Noah is Allegory/Mythology or Ethnocentric
Real Presence theology
Eternal Spiration of Holy Spirit by Father & Son
Madonnas [black/white]
Evolution
Exorcism by ritual
Preterism
Futurism
Amillennialism [no 1,000 years]
Vestments
Rings/Jewelry
Mysteries
IHS
INRI
Perinde ac cadaver
Cell Groups
Pagan Symbolism
Sun Worship
Oaths [open/secret]
False Tongues
Clamorous, All Kinds of Musick in worship
“Alpha” theologies
Gregorian Chants
Contemplative theology [mind emptying]
Holy Grail
Confirmation
Canon Law
'Easter'
Altar Boys/Girls
Wax [bees wax, pagan rites] Candles
Scala Sancta [etc]
Papal Bulls
Index of Prohibited Books [including Bible]
Global Ecumenism
Cathedrals [tombs]
State/Church combined, not separated
Processionals/Marches
Pilgrimages
Incenses [various methods, etc]
Bloody Hosts/miracles
Mary Visions
Hail Mary's [prayer]
Change Times/Laws
Altered Tithe
Altered Ten Commandments
Jesus is not Michael
Islamic Anti-Christ
Rome is not Anti-Christ
Sunday Sabbath
No Sabbath
Any day Sabbath
Lunar Sabbaths
Additional Mediators
Mary as Co-Mediatrix with Christ
Peter as “the Rock”
Papal Infallibility
Mary as Co-Redemptrix with Christ
Title, “Holy Father”
Alter-Christus
Vicar of Christ [Vicarivs Christi]
Title, “Father”
Vicarivs Filii Dei
Evangelical Dispensationalism
Jesus is eternally begotten
HRCC as Mother of all churches
Holy Spirit is not Eternal God, but force, etc
God is in all, or is all, things (pantheism, or panentheism)
Jesus came not in our fallen sinful flesh
Jesus did not resurrect in the flesh, but the disciples only experienced Him spiritually
Can be saved in sin
We [humans] are Gods
Heaven is Ethereal
Hell = eternal torment [physical, mental,&c]
No Heavenly Sanctuary
No Investigative Judgment
Mark of the Beast is like barcode/chip, etc
Seal of God does not involve 10 C
Millennium on Earth, even now
King of the North is not Papacy
King of the North is Islam
King of the South is Islam
Little Horn of Daniel 8 is Antiochus IV E.
Everything Finished at the Cross
… and a multitude host more …

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is what I see:

Many heresies [a selection, not all will be represented, there would not be enough time, nor room to give notice to all]:

Transubstantiation
Penance
Vain Repetitious Prayers, etc
Auricular Confession
Prayers for/to the dead/angel
Immortal Soul/Spirit theologies
Immaculate Conception
Theotokos [Mother of God]
Veneration [HyperDulia] of Mary
Rosary/Pieta's/Novenas, &c
Purgatory/Limbo's
Monks/Nuns/Caste Priesthood
Roman Trinity [singularity*]
Holy Water
Latin Only Rites
Alterantive Baptism [Infusion/Aspersion, Infant, etc]
Lent/Liturgical Calender
Indulgences
Mass
Host/Eucharist [adoration]
Fermented Wine
Pope [Papal position, See of Rome]
Men able to forgive sins
Celibacy [requirement]
Stations of the Cross
Veneration [Dulia] of Saints/Relics/Icons/Images/Buildings/Statues/Stones, kneeling in front of, kissing, touching, fondling, gifting, feeding, lighting candles before, charioting, etc
Sacraments
Tradition on Par/Equal/Above the Scriptures
Assumption of Mary
Mary remained sinless [without Roman “Original Sin”]
Original Sin [Roman]
Relics of dead men's bones, in Cathedrals, under Altars
Crucifixes
Jesuit Order, Opus Dei, Knights of Columbus, of Malta, &c
Syllabus of Errors
Mortification [pain infliction], Celices/Hairshirts/etc
Ex-Cathedra
Extreme Unction
College of Cardinals
Sign of the Cross
Inquisition [Curia, Congregation for Doctrine of the Holy Faith]
Kissing Ring/Foot of Pope
Pontifex Maximus [the greatest bridge-builder, of Heaven to earth]
Scapulars [various colors]
Canonization
Apocryphal Books accepted
Crowns/Tiara's/Mitres
Stigmata
Bleeding Wounds [blood, oil, etc]
Weeping Statues/Icons, etc
Holy Sites [Fatima, Lourdes, Guadalupe, etc]
Sacred Heart theology
All Names and Titles of Christ given to the Pope**
Immaculate Heart theology
Missalette instead of Bibles
All unclean animal is clean
Genesis Creation is Allegory/Mythology
Eternal Generation of Jesus
Flood Account of Noah is Allegory/Mythology or Ethnocentric
Real Presence theology
Eternal Spiration of Holy Spirit by Father & Son
Madonnas [black/white]
Evolution
Exorcism by ritual
Preterism
Futurism
Amillennialism [no 1,000 years]
Vestments
Rings/Jewelry
Mysteries
IHS
INRI
Perinde ac cadaver
Cell Groups
Pagan Symbolism
Sun Worship
Oaths [open/secret]
False Tongues
Clamorous, All Kinds of Musick in worship
“Alpha” theologies
Gregorian Chants
Contemplative theology [mind emptying]
Holy Grail
Confirmation
Canon Law
'Easter'
Altar Boys/Girls
Wax [bees wax, pagan rites] Candles
Scala Sancta [etc]
Papal Bulls
Index of Prohibited Books [including Bible]
Global Ecumenism
Cathedrals [tombs]
State/Church combined, not separated
Processionals/Marches
Pilgrimages
Incenses [various methods, etc]
Bloody Hosts/miracles
Mary Visions
Hail Mary's [prayer]
Change Times/Laws
Altered Tithe
Altered Ten Commandments
Jesus is not Michael
Islamic Anti-Christ
Rome is not Anti-Christ
Sunday Sabbath
No Sabbath
Any day Sabbath
Lunar Sabbaths
Additional Mediators
Mary as Co-Mediatrix with Christ
Peter as “the Rock”
Papal Infallibility
Mary as Co-Redemptrix with Christ
Title, “Holy Father”
Alter-Christus
Vicar of Christ [Vicarivs Christi]
Title, “Father”
Vicarivs Filii Dei
Evangelical Dispensationalism
Jesus is eternally begotten
HRCC as Mother of all churches
Holy Spirit is not Eternal God, but force, etc
God is in all, or is all, things (pantheism, or panentheism)
Jesus came not in our fallen sinful flesh
Jesus did not resurrect in the flesh, but the disciples only experienced Him spiritually
Can be saved in sin
We [humans] are Gods
Heaven is Ethereal
Hell = eternal torment [physical, mental,&c]
No Heavenly Sanctuary
No Investigative Judgment
Mark of the Beast is like barcode/chip, etc
Seal of God does not involve 10 C
Millennium on Earth, even now
King of the North is not Papacy
King of the North is Islam
King of the South is Islam
Little Horn of Daniel 8 is Antiochus IV E.
Everything Finished at the Cross
… and a multitude host more …
This list is idiotic.

MOST of these aren’t Catholic doctrines, let alone false doctrines - so they CAN’T be “heresies”.
There are a LOT of things on this list that have NOTGING to do with Catholic theology.

For example:
Rings, jewelry, candles, pilgimiges, holy grail, Easter, evolution, fermented wine
and a host of others gave absolutely NOTHING to do with doctrine OR heresy, Einstein.

It’s painfully-obvious that -
a. You REALLY hate the Catholic Church
b. You’re REALLY ignorant of Catholic theology

You got this list from the heavily-debunked book, Roman Catholicism, by Loraine Boettner. – also known as the “Anti-Catholic Bible”. Boettner’s dead so he doesn’t have to deal with the embarrassment of all of the idiotic errors in his book.

Unfortunately for the rubes who bought into his manure – like YOU – you have to explain this garbage . . .

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think you'll find a perfect Christian denomination. Are they all, then, heretical?
By biblical definition, one must be a Catholic before being a heretic. A heresy is a post-baptismal denial of a revealed truth. According to CCC817-820, all who are baptized in Christ are brothers and sisters in the Lord, we don't view Protestants as heretics as most of Protestant baptisms are considered valid by the CC. We are all united by virtue of the Trinity, thus, Catholic bashers are spiritual masochists, getting pleasure inflicting their own body. Anti-Catholicism is a mental and spiritual sickness. Post #13 is sick, and reported as such. Hopefully it will get deleted just like Advantages's previous sick posts.

Seventh Day Adventists are compelled to demonize anything remotely Catholic, especially the papacy. Everything from old meaningless church documents to rubrics to the Bible itself, must be interpreted through the lens of E.G. White's occultic visions and channeling. That is where Advantageous gets his authority to demonize Protestants and Catholics.

Fake "prophecies" must be fulfilled to force them to be true at the expense of Protestants (daughters of the whore) and Catholics (the whore). SDA's see whores everywhere and are in need of professional deprogramming or psychiatric intervention.

There is something mysteriously missing in the Holocaust Archives. Given the Nazis rounded up every conceivable minority, not a single SDA member was sent to the concentration camps. That's because Hitler liked what the "divinely inspired" E.G. White preached about the pope, while killing 3 million Polish Catholics.

Hitler’s Plan to Kill the Pope

1676609215403.png............................................ 1676609587792.png
Heil Ellen!!!, we have so much in common, how about a date?

Last edited:
Reactions: BreadOfLife

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
An over-used strategy by dis-Adventageous and his SDA ilk is to manipulate threads to make Protestants and Catholics argue with each other, and he sits back on his throne of self-righteousness and watches the action. It has to stop.
But if he is allowed to continue playing hardball with Catholics, and not so much as given a warning, then the thread should be closed. It would appear to me he has rule immunity.

Smart Christians will just scroll past Adventageous' litany of hate.

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are so very wrong in your assumptions ………
Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.