About Satan

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satans attributes
I. The Existence of Satan

• A. Seven Old Testament books and every New Testament writer refer to Satan.

B. Jesus referred to Satan (Matt.13:39; Luke 10:18; 11:18).
II. The Personality and Names of Satan

• A. Personality – He has intellect (2 Cor.11:3), emotions (Rev.12:17) and will (2 Tim.2:26.

B. Names – He is called Satan, the Devil (slanderer), Lucifer (son of the morning), Beelzebub (Lord of the flies – Matt.12:24), and Belial (lawless – 2 Cor.6:15), the evil one (1 John 5:19), the tempter (1 Thess.3:5), the prince of this world (John 12:31), the god of this age (2 Cor.4:4), the prince of the power of the air (Eph.2:2), the accuser of the brethren (Rev.12:10), and angel of light (false light – 2 Cor.11:14), a serpent (Rev.12:9), and a dragon (Rev.12:3).
III. The Nature of Satan

• A. He is a created angelic being. He was created as part of the angelic realm (Eph.6:11,12; Ezek.24:18) and was the highest in rank of them all (Ezek.28:12-14).

B. He is an enemy of righteousness. He is a murderer (John 8:44), a liar (John 8:44), and accuser (Rev.12:10) and our adversary (1 Pet.5:8).

C. He is a limited creature. He is limited by God (Job.1:12). He is not God’s equal (1 John 4:4). He is not omniscient, omnipotent or infinite in any way. Believers with God’s help can resist him (James 4:7).
IV. The Fall of Satan

• Key Passages – Ezekiel 28; Isaiah 14

A. Ezekiel 28:11-19 is a prophetic lamentation over the “King of Tyre” who is described in language that fits Satan’s fall and not a mere human king. Satan is distinguished form the human ruler of Tyre in 28:2 (“prince/ruler”) and called a “king” in 28:12. Though Tyre had a human “ruler”, Satan was the real “King” behind that wicked kingdom.

B. His attributes – Moral perfection (v.12) Sinless at his creation until his fall (v.15)

C. His appearance – Perfect in beauty (v.12b,13)
    • 1. His privileges – Free access to the garden of Eden (v.12) and to God’s holy mountain (= God’s presence – v.14)

2. His rank – “Cherub” (vs.14,16)

3. His judgment –
      • a. Cast out of the mountain of God (v.16, cf. Rev. 12:4)

b. Cast to the ground (v.17)

c. Consumed by fire (v.18, cf. Rev.20:10)
    D. Isaiah 14:12-15 also seems to describe Satan’s fall. Satan is manifest here by the king of Babylon. As in Ezekiel 28, Satan is pictured here as the real “king” behind the wicked human kingdom of Babylon.
    • 1. The imagery of a “star” and “falling from heaven” (v.12) suggests a supernatural fulfillment. “Stars” (v.12,13) are symbolic of the angelic realm elsewhere (Job 38:6,7; Rev.12:4).

2. The five “I will’s” of vss. 13 & 14 are literally true of Satan and only metaphorically true of Babylon’s king. This ultimate form of pride (“I will be like the Most High” – v.14) fits the New Testament description of Satan’s fall 1 Tim.3:6.
V. The Activity of Satan

• Satan is seeking to oppose God’s plan by promoting evil in every way possible.

A. Indirect Activity – He works indirectly through the world (in which he has great freedom and power – John 12:31; 1 John 5:19) and the flesh (Gal.5:19-21). The world, the flesh and the devil are not three separate enemies of the Christian. Rather Satan works through the evil world system (1 John 2:13-15) to exploit the fleshly nature that still wars within us (Rom.7:18; Gal.5:19-21).

Reactions: tomwebster

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Good work.

Might want to modify that just a bit though, for there's still judgments upon Satan that have not happened yet, like the Ezek.28:18 passage about his final destruction by fire.

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good work.

Might want to modify that just a bit though, for there's still judgments upon Satan that have not happened yet, like the Ezek.28:18 passage about his final destruction by fire.

Agreed an Important passage .. we are not through with Satan yet. Or should I say he;s not done with us

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
[/list]III. The Nature of Satan

• A. He is a created angelic being. He was created as part of the angelic realm (Eph.6:11,12; Ezek.24:18) and was the highest in rank of them all (Ezek.28:12-14).
    ...[/size]

The only part I would change is Michael was Satan equal; they were both "anointed cherub that covereth."

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Now how are they equal ? Micheal is a prince who always is fighting satan or protecting Isreal.

He's talking about back in time, BEFORE Satan's first rebellion against God. Ezekiel 28 reveals God was speaking about Satan there directly when he called him "the anointed cherub that covereth", and that he was originally perfects in his ways from the day that God created him, before he rebelled.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with Michael and Satan originally being co-equal cherubs created to cover the Mercy Seat, but it does make sense if we understand that Michael will be the one to boot Satan out of the heavenly dimension, and most likely into the prison pit at Christ's coming, per Rev.12 & 20. And because Gabriel struggled with Satan per Dan.10 and Michael came to his aid, that might suggest that too.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As three is a number of harmony... So I believe that there were three arch-angels

Gabriel - Angels in the word (1/3 of the angels).
Michael - Angels of energy and warrior like... (1/3 of the angels).
Lucifer - Angels of light and praise (1/3 of the angels).

I believe that Lucifer conducted the praise and the worship in heaven. While praising God the Father he began to think of ways to exalt himself above God the Father himself. So the spirit of pride and arrogance came into existence in the universe. I believe that when Lucifer was ousted from heaven that a third of the heavens remained empty. Now there is a lack in heaven. I believe that we humans were created to take the place of the fallen angels. It amazes me the war Lucifer fights to keep folks from their eternal reward!

As Lucifer knows the value of light so he uses it to deceive the human race... Beware! Beware! Beware! He will use light to deceive you out of your heavenly reward!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Gabriel - Angels in the word (1/3 of the angels).
Michael - Angels of energy and warrior like... (1/3 of the angels).
Lucifer - Angels of light and praise (1/3 of the angels).

I really don't know where all you got those descriptions from. In 2 Cor.11 Paul was giving a warning that Satan is disguised as an angel of light, which is only about after his fall. Satan drew one third of the stars (angels) into rebellion with him. But how do we know Gabriel and Michael each governed over a third each?

I believe that Lucifer conducted the praise and the worship in heaven. While praising God the Father he began to think of ways to exalt himself above God the Father himself. So the spirit of pride and arrogance came into existence in the universe. I believe that when Lucifer was ousted from heaven that a third of the heavens remained empty. Now there is a lack in heaven. I believe that we humans were created to take the place of the fallen angels. It amazes me the war Lucifer fights to keep folks from their eternal reward!

As Lucifer knows the value of light so he uses it to deceive the human race... Beware! Beware! Beware! He will use light to deceive you out of your heavenly reward!

I don't think that supposition comes from something suggested in God's Word like what I mentioned. You're going too far.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Satan is a VERY religious fellow.

1 Timothy 4:1 (ESV)
[sup]1 [/sup]Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 (ESV)
[sup]14 [/sup]And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. [sup]15 [/sup]So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness.

Revelation 12:9 (ESV)
[sup]9 [/sup]And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world— he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Satan is a VERY religious fellow.

1 Timothy 4:1 (ESV)
[sup]1 [/sup]Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 (ESV)
[sup]14 [/sup]And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. [sup]15 [/sup]So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness.

Revelation 12:9 (ESV)
[sup]9 [/sup]And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world— he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

The Revelation 12:7-9 event has not happened yet. It is not about Satan's original rebellion and fall, but for the coming tribulation time. The Rev.12:3-4 IS about Satan's original rebellion and fall.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
The Revelation 12:7-9 event has not happened yet. It is not about Satan's original rebellion and fall, but for the coming tribulation time. The Rev.12:3-4 IS about Satan's original rebellion and fall.

Agreed.

The very near future:

Revelation 12:12 (NKJV)
[sup]12 [/sup]Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Satans attributes
I. The Existence of Satan

• A. Seven Old Testament books and every New Testament writer refer to Satan.

B. Jesus referred to Satan (Matt.13:39; Luke 10:18; 11:18).
II. The Personality and Names of Satan

• A. Personality – He has intellect (2 Cor.11:3), emotions (Rev.12:17) and will (2 Tim.2:26.

B. Names – He is called Satan, the Devil (slanderer), Lucifer (son of the morning), Beelzebub (Lord of the flies – Matt.12:24), and Belial (lawless – 2 Cor.6:15), the evil one (1 John 5:19), the tempter (1 Thess.3:5), the prince of this world (John 12:31), the god of this age (2 Cor.4:4), the prince of the power of the air (Eph.2:2), the accuser of the brethren (Rev.12:10), and angel of light (false light – 2 Cor.11:14), a serpent (Rev.12:9), and a dragon (Rev.12:3).
III. The Nature of Satan

B. He is an enemy of righteousness. He is a murderer (John 8:44), a liar (John 8:44), and accuser (Rev.12:10) and our adversary (1 Pet.5:8).

C. He is a limited creature. He is limited by God (Job.1:12). He is not God’s equal (1 John 4:4). He is not omniscient, omnipotent or infinite in any way. Believers with God’s help can resist him (James 4:7).
IV. The Fall of Satan

• Key Passages – Ezekiel 28; Isaiah 14

A. Ezekiel 28:11-19 is a prophetic lamentation over the “King of Tyre” who is described in language that fits Satan’s fall and not a mere human king. Satan is distinguished form the human ruler of Tyre in 28:2 (“prince/ruler”) and called a “king” in 28:12. Though Tyre had a human “ruler”, Satan was the real “King” behind that wicked kingdom.

B. His attributes – Moral perfection (v.12) Sinless at his creation until his fall (v.15)

C. His appearance – Perfect in beauty (v.12b,13)
    • 1. His privileges – Free access to the garden of Eden (v.12) and to God’s holy mountain (= God’s presence – v.14)

2. His rank – “Cherub” (vs.14,16)

3. His judgment –
      • a. Cast out of the mountain of God (v.16, cf. Rev. 12:4)

b. Cast to the ground (v.17)

c. Consumed by fire (v.18, cf. Rev.20:10)
    D. Isaiah 14:12-15 also seems to describe Satan’s fall. Satan is manifest here by the king of Babylon. As in Ezekiel 28, Satan is pictured here as the real “king” behind the wicked human kingdom of Babylon.
    • 1. The imagery of a “star” and “falling from heaven” (v.12) suggests a supernatural fulfillment. “Stars” (v.12,13) are symbolic of the angelic realm elsewhere (Job 38:6,7; Rev.12:4).

2. The five “I will’s” of vss. 13 & 14 are literally true of Satan and only metaphorically true of Babylon’s king. This ultimate form of pride (“I will be like the Most High” – v.14) fits the New Testament description of Satan’s fall 1 Tim.3:6.
V. The Activity of Satan

• Satan is seeking to oppose God’s plan by promoting evil in every way possible.

A. Indirect Activity – He works indirectly through the world (in which he has great freedom and power – John 12:31; 1 John 5:19) and the flesh (Gal.5:19-21). The world, the flesh and the devil are not three separate enemies of the Christian. Rather Satan works through the evil world system (1 John 2:13-15) to exploit the fleshly nature that still wars within us (Rom.7:18; Gal.5:19-21).

Here's something for anyone who believes in being positive.
smile.gif

What is something good we can learn from Satan?