Age for first ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age for first ear piercings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That was going back about 35 years farouk and they are all old men by now. I just got myself some new ones:
1401967971-45932300.png
This forum needs a bit of trivia sometimes to make a nice change from some of the heavy stuff.
@Pearl Yes. It doesn't all have to be so serious and heavy. And these days it can be benign for both granddaughters and grandsons, if this is a custom that comes naturally to them. The ones in the photo you uploaded are IMHO more definitely ladies' ones.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've known people who do have tongue studs; the lady who used to run the coffee shop at my previous employer comes immediately to mind. Really nice lady
@Lambano I think you said your step-son had his ears pierced with your wife's support; frankly these days young men with pierced ears is something that is pretty tame, really, isn't it?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano I think you said your step-son had his ears pierced with your wife's support; frankly these days young men with pierced ears is something that is pretty tame, really, isn't it?
Compared to the nose, lip, tongue, cheek, and eyebrow piercings I've seen, yes. "No, sir, I would not like to see your 'Prince Albert' piercing, but it was mighty decent of you to ask."

Don't Google it. You won't like it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Compared to the nose, lip, tongue, cheek, and eyebrow piercings I've seen, yes. "No, sir, I would not like to see your 'Prince Albert' piercing, but it was mighty decent of you to ask."

Don't Google it. You won't like it.
@Lambano This is why ear piercing for young men really is rather benign.

A majority of the young men and boys that have been at our local church would have worn earrings, in any case.

I reckon your wife would have been pretty comfortable with the fact that her son had them done, right?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reckon your wife would have been pretty comfortable with the fact that her son had them done, right?
She was, but his older (Navy) brother gave him a lot of grief about it. As did the parents of his best friend, citing Leviticus 19:28.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She was, but his older (Navy) brother gave him a lot of grief about it. As did the parents of his best friend, citing Leviticus 19:28.
@Lambano Well, ppl wore earrings in the Bible; and the bondservant ear piercing account is instructive about willing service, and so forth.

I have a male cousin who has worn an earring for decades; he was a sailor for years and it was traditional for sailors to wear earrings; today it's pure tradition, but originally it seems to have been some kind of deference to Christianity: men overseas doing hazardous work would wear an earring so that if they died they would have a Christian burial (how ever this was understood), paid for by the gold earring.

Your wife was likely right about it really being rather benign...

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a male cousin who has worn an earring for decades; he was a sailor for years and it was traditional for sailors to wear earrings; today it's pure tradition, but originally it seems to have been some kind of deference to Christianity: men overseas doing hazardous work would wear an earring so that if they died they would have a Christian burial (how ever this was understood), paid for by the gold earring.
My understanding is that the US Navy currently does not permit male personnel to wear earrings. There are too many hazards, i.e. catching on something, shorting electrical equipment, etc. Not sure about female personnel; probably not those on sea duty. Nor does the US Air Force, to the chagrin of a former member of my church who tried to conceal his nipple piercings from his superiors. That young man left the USAF as soon as his commitment was satisfied and is now serving Christ running a half-way house in the inner city.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My understanding is that the US Navy currently does not permit male personnel to wear earrings. There are too many hazards, i.e. catching on something, shorting electrical equipment, etc. Not sure about female personnel; probably not those on sea duty. Nor does the US Air Force, to the chagrin of a former member of my church who tried to conceal his nipple piercings from his superiors. That young man left the USAF as soon as his commitment was satisfied and is now serving Christ running a half-way house in the inner city.
@Lambano Well, my male cousin with one was a merchant seaman.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My ears were pierced as a baby. The idea was that I wouldn't remember the pain. I don't.