Animals Actually Do Think Rationally

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone recently brought up the rather tired and senseless argument that animals can't think rationally, so I thought it called for a counter-thread in response.

Videos and articles to the contrary are welcome.

Reactions: Taken and Cassandra

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone recently brought up the rather tired and senseless argument that animals can't think rationally, so I thought it called for a counter-thread in response.

Videos and articles to the contrary are welcome.

There are videos out there of sharks letting little fish clean their teeth and gills.

But years ago I saw a documentary of little fishes cleaning the teeth and gills of a predator fish....maybe a barracuda. He is setting there and they are swimming in and out of his mouth and gills and some were even eating something of his scales.
And at the time I thought that took a little thought. LOL But then the camera panned back and there was a line of fish waiting their turn....they were thinking something?

Reactions: Cassandra

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never heard of that one. Those little fish must either be brave or really hungry, one of the two.

I don't know what this fox is eating (grubs?), but apparently for a fox it's worth solving a puzzle for.

P.S. Sorry. Looks like you have to click on the YouTube link as it won't embed.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, monkeys even have their own complex language-

-language.jpg

So it's only a matter of time before we see a chimp Hamlet-

oscar.jpg

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave each animal the ability to do wonderful things that amaze us

Not quite sure if understanding musical scales counts as thinking rationally, but if so this guy needs to be included, cuz he's on key (well most of the time anyway, but I've heard worse).

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Distinguishing 80 different objects by name qualifies as intelligence, IMO.

Good Heavens. The end proves rational thinking here (process of elimination). I think even most humans would have serious trouble identifying 1022 different objects.

I'm certain my President would, but no political commentaries please.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is interesting. I'd like to see more proofs, but I believe it's definitely possible and ought to be developed more.

Oh Snap! Watch this one through 2:17. Incredible!

LoL.

Last edited:

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I Counter with a deer in the headlights.... All rationality is gone from there.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Explains the actual experimentation. The research reinforces something commonly known in aging studies; continued use of the brain increases brain function, whereas lack thereof causes it to deteriorate.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only humans are made to be concerned about truth, justice, and the afterlife.

The other animals are different in that the movements of their bodies that are serving the law of survival is natural behavior. Those movements are not natural for humans. They cause our flesh to rebel against the will and serve the law Paul called the " law of death".
The involuntary movements for humans cause shame and the need for modesty.

That is the law in the other animals because death is natural to them.

That same law in us is not natural because death is not natural to us.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only humans are made to be concerned about truth, justice, and the afterlife.

The other animals are different in that the movements of their bodies that are serving the law of survival is natural behavior. Those movements are not natural for humans. They cause our flesh to rebel against the will and serve the law Paul called the " law of death".
The involuntary movements for humans cause shame and the need for modesty.

That is the law in the other animals because death is natural to them.

That same law in us is not natural because death is not natural to us.

Greetings EloyCraft, and thanks for the response.

I think animals would certainly understand Heaven and the beauty of it if we could show it to them, the trouble is we can't.

As for understanding theological questions, maybe not deeper and more nuanced ones, but I'm guessing some animals - those with good families at least - might wonder as well about the dilemma Paul faced when he said, "I desire to be with Him, but to remain with you is more beneficial." I'm guessing they might not know what to do there either.

Last edited: